Menu

Do you know your city/state laws or codes on Trick or Treating?

I just went to look up my the trick or treating hours for tomorrow on my city's website and was quite shocked to find that ...

My 13 year old (just turned 13 in may) would be guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a $25-100 fine and/or up to 6 months in jail if he goes trick or treating with his siblings tomorrow.

Also if anyone trick or treats after 8pm they are guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a $10-100 fine and/or up to 30 days in jail.

I don't have an issue with teens trick or treating as long as they are polite about it and actually take the time to put some effort into their costume.

So do you know your laws/codes?

I just went to look up my the trick or treating hours for tomorrow on my city's website and was quite shocked to find that ...

My 13 year old (just turned 13 in may) would be guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a $25-100 fine and/or up to 6 months in jail if he goes trick or treating with his siblings tomorrow.

Also if anyone trick or treats after 8pm they are guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a $10-100 fine and/or up to 30 days in jail.

I don't have an issue with teens trick or treating as long as they are polite about it and actually take the time to put some effort into their costume.

So do you know your laws/codes?

Wow! Really??

My city doesn't even have set hours. Which, by the way, I actually find rather annoying.

Our hours are from 5-8pm. Which I find nice, but the rest is just :confused::blink::angry:

Yeah, that's a little over the top IMO.

They were just talking on the radio this morning about how every other town/city in the area has set hours and we don't. It would sure be nice to know what time to turn your light on/take your kids out, etc.....

Well...I highly doubt they will be checking IDs of kids out with their family. I guess you never know, but it doesn't seem likely...

I have no idea what ours are. I am not a fan of teenagers trick or treating, personally...but to each their own. :)

Off to check our town website and see if they thought to put anything up. ;)

That's crazy. One of the things I love about this city is that it's very old-school when it comes to ToTing.

No one even starts to go out until it's actually dark out, none of this starting at 4 pm stuff like in other places. Nope, it's like 7 pm before we even get our first knock on the door usually.

Apparently it's illegal here for people over age 16 to wear masks.

Ha. I mean, I get the point vis a vis crimes, but please. Laws like that make me glad the cops here usually have more pressing concerns.

They don't set hours here either. They do close streets though.

Apparently it's illegal here for people over age 16 to wear masks.

Ha. I mean, I get the point vis a vis crimes, but please. Laws like that make me glad the cops here usually have more pressing concerns.

They don't set hours here either. They do close streets though.

Too bad. I already have one. I am Catwoman. The mask is not negotiable :tongue_smilie:

Well...I highly doubt they will be checking IDs of kids out with their family. I guess you never know, but it doesn't seem likely...

I have no idea what ours are. I am not a fan of teenagers trick or treating, personally...but to each their own. :)

Off to check our town website and see if they thought to put anything up. ;)

:iagree:

I can't imagine they'd enforce that. What a PR nightmare that would be!

Oh I'm sure they won't be sending out the fuzz to card trick or treaters, but I just found it odd that the law would be written with such a young age limit. Now if I lived in my old neighborhood I'd be worried, because there was a certain PO that seemed to really hate kids and trick or treating in general.

You never know....you may change your mind when your oldest is 13. :D

:iagree: My 14 yo dds are going. Last year several people told them it was nice to see high schoolers Tot'ing. It made them giggle as they were 7th graders! As long as kids dress up, I think it's great.

You never know....you may change your mind when your oldest is 13. :D

My DS is 13, and he stopped trick or treating after elementary school. I can't stand teen trick or treaters either, especially the older ones in high school. I think it's funny that a lot of people don't mind teenagers (or college age kids) trick or treating, but if a grown adult came around on their own to get candy most people would have a problem with that. IMO trick or treating is for little kids. Once you can get a job and buy your own candy, it's time to stop. There are other ways to celebrate Halloween than trick or treating.