Menu

Christmas on a shoe string

I need to do Christmas for as close to nothing as I can this year. Here are ideas I have so far:

Girls--

My old holiday barbies that have been sitting in the closet forever. When they were toddlers, they tried to open the boxes so the boxes are damaged. Take them out of the packages, put them on stands.

Tshirt scarves

I have a girls shawl and a blanket on my knitting needles that I will finish for them.

The Boy--

Some dinosaur fabric that I can use to make pillows, will just have to get fluff or pillow forms.

Can frog a pair of socks I have going to make him some gloves

And.... that's all I got so far. Any other ideas?

I've been saving glass food jars. I plan on reusing them by adding candies or something interesting, maybe a package of pencils in a taller container.

Good presentation can make something smaller seem bigger.

I like this idea!!

I'm all ears - I fear this will be us again this year. You'd think I I'd get better at it?!? LOL!

Is there something you could do just to raise extra money for Christmas like a yard sale or putting some things on ebay?

What about getting historical craft books from the library? Many include how to make trebuchets or catapults, pretend weapons, historical jewelry pieces, and board games.

When I was 12, the favorite gift my mom ever gave me was a cross stitch kit.

She had found a bunch of the colored threads on sale cheap.

Included a few pre-cut pieces of the cross stitch fabric, a embroidery hoop, some needles (I think she already had these in her box), and a photocopy of some simple cross stitch patterns she thought I'd like.

She taught me how to transfer the pattern, and do the cross stitching.

I believe she also did sewing kits, knitting kit (or was it crochet?), rug hook, etc...

You could get fabric or some of the supplies from freecycle too.

I found some cute mini bottles of nail polish for less than a $1 each at Walmart for dd. Embroidery floss to make braided friendship bracelets. Put together a gift basket with some pretty things from a dollar store or Walmart. If you are a Walmart shopper, you can find lots of fun stuff for under a dollar at Christmas (like candy/little toys) or in their clearance areas. Used books? Any consignment sales? Thrift shops?

If you use the dinosaur fabric to make a pillowcase you won't need to buy stuffing etc.

For your ds if you have a way to record you could record a favorite book with sound effects and voices.

Look online or at the library for science demos that use items you already have and put together instructions and supplies as little kits. I think someone here posted making a lab coat out of a white men's shirt if that might be available.

You could make a magic kit. Many good tricks can be done with paper and household items. Include instructions and the prepped tricks. Our dollar store has good tricks if you could add one or two it could round out the kit. They have trick decks too.

If you already have playing cards you could research card tricks and card games to go with them.

eta: origami "kits"

Edited by happi duck

If you use the dinosaur fabric to make a pillowcase you won't need to buy stuffing etc.

Pillowcase--great idea. And if you have fabric left over you can make a drawstring bag too.

If you're giving the girls barbies maybe you can knit up some accessories?

We're also having to cut back on Christmas this year, and we haven't been that extravagent in the past anyway.

I'm making pillow cases for all my nieces and nephews this year and challenged myself to make them out of fabric on hand. My kids (and I) will then make snacks to go along with them. I'm also thinking of these for my nieces.

For my own kids I'm making them pillowcases too. Plus they each will get a day with mom and a day with dad to have one on one time. The catch is the day will have to be free or have a limit of around $5 or less. We'll give them suggestions like a day at the beach, a hike in the woods, a picnic lunch or dinner, a trip to the museum (we have passes for one and a couple of others in town have free hours).

I've also gotten some very cheap, but nice, books from garage sales. Hit the ones in nicer areas of town and you can find some good stuff cheap.

A last item is if I'm going to buy something for the kids anyway (like socks, underwear, toothbrushes) those become either stocking stuffers or wrapped presents. Heck, one year we gave my son cheese as a birthday gift and he was elated. His own block of cheese that he didn't have to share with anyone. Of course, we had another block just like it for the rest of the family, but he didn't care.

Homemade playdough or maybe candy cane playdough...

Homemade finger paints (wonder if you could use these w/ brushes?)

Make a science kit in a jar or a bag w/ ingredients & instructions for making/doing various things, such as Oobleck...

Make a jar of dry ingredients for making something like chocolate chip cookies or hot cocoa mix for all of you to make together & enjoy as a family...

Make some silly/gross gifts of candy as 'elf poop' or others. ;)

Free printable paper toys here. (This site also has some pretty/cute/nice little printable boxes if you have something small you're giving.)

A few years ago I had to get creative for my kids as well. For my boys, I made papermache rocks and mountains for their cars and figures to play on. I used newspaper, flour, and water to mold around boxes, cups, bowls, and various other objects that I had stacked together and wrapped with plastic wrap. Once several layers were dry, I painted the rocks and mountains with leftover paint. It has been 5 years since I made those and they still get played with. That year I also bought canvas fabric at Walmart and painted scenes for the boys to play on. My husband sketched out a cave and forest scene on one and a water scene on another. I painted the canvas with leftover craft paint and sprayed them with tent sealer that we had leftover. Those also still get played with.

For our daughter, I used scraps of leftover fabric to make doll clothes and a quilt of her dolls. I also made miniature pillows and beanbags for her dolls. I used plastic canvas and yarn to make a couch, table, and chairs for her Barbies (this took awhile but I used leftover items I had around so it did not cost anything). I have also put together craft kits for her with odd and end items I have leftover from projects.

I sometimes buy my boys something from the grocery store they like, but can't/shouldn't have often for health reasons.

Last year each boy got a whole big bag of chips divided into zip lock bags for child size servings. They were allowed to eat it whenever they wanted - even just before dinner.

If you have extra fabric, you could make beanbags! :)

My kids always say their favorite gift is the candy in their stockings, do I'm trying not to sweat the gifts too much this year.

This reminds me of a fun gift my mom has made for many kids. She made smiley face bean bags, filled with popcorn kernels. The she painted a cardboard box yellow and cut a hole in it for the mouth and painted black eyes on it, so it looked like a smiley face with a big, open mouth. The kids throw the bean bags into the mouth. My kids still play with this. I used to take it to Cub Scouts and they all liked it there, too.

You could make different color smileys for each kid.

Homemade playdough or maybe candy cane playdough...

Homemade finger paints (wonder if you could use these w/ brushes?)

Make a science kit in a jar or a bag w/ ingredients & instructions for making/doing various things, such as Oobleck...

Make a jar of dry ingredients for making something like chocolate chip cookies or hot cocoa mix for all of you to make together & enjoy as a family...

Make some silly/gross gifts of candy as 'elf poop' or others. ;)

Free printable paper toys here. (This site also has some pretty/cute/nice little printable boxes if you have something small you're giving.)

Oooo! Peppermint play dough...I'd love that for myself: what awesome stress relief!

If you have extra fabric, you could make beanbags! :)

My kids always say their favorite gift is the candy in their stockings, do I'm trying not to sweat the gifts too much this year.

Beanbags!! Yes!! I loved beanbags as a kid...throwing, juggling, Barbie beanbag chairs, plastic animal pet beds etc.

i see that your girls a bit older so what about a sewing kit with some scrap fabrics that you have left over? i'm sure others would be happy to give you some of their scraps too..they could really go to town making their new barbies clothes......

i'll be making my boys some special treats...chocolate covered oreos and chocolate dipped pretzels with sprinkles.

and i read somewhere (maybe here on these forums) that it would be fun to wrap a small gift in several different layers and have the child do different things as they are opening the layers like "have a thumb war with mama" and "do 20 jumping jacks..."

this looks really cute too..

sundae kit in a box: ice cream cones, diff. kinds of topping ideas, chocolate syrup

227502218645881107_5fm81m3k_b.jpg

and what about a basket with popcorn and some sweets and soda for movie night at home..these are special treats for my boys so they would be over the moon if they got any of these things..

i see that your girls a bit older so what about a sewing kit with some scrap fabrics that you have left over? i'm sure others would be happy to give you some of their scraps too..they could really go to town making their new barbies clothes......

i'll be making my boys some special treats...chocolate covered oreos and chocolate dipped pretzels with sprinkles.

and i read somewhere (maybe here on these forums) that it would be fun to wrap a small gift in several different layers and have the child do different things as they are opening the layers like "have a thumb war with mama" and "do 20 jumping jacks..."

On this note - I think I'm going to do a crochet kit for DD12. She's using my hooks, which is fine, but I think she'd love having a set of her own and they aren't too expensive. I'm going to see if my grandma has any yarn laying around I could throw in.

what about a simple tent for your boy...

http://grosgrainfabulous.blogspot.com/2011/05/free-pattern-month-day-11-cakies-a.html

this has a pattern...i'm assuming you could use an old sheet for it.

the embroidered pillow with hands on it is so sweet too..it's getting added to my never ending list of projects that never seem to happen! :glare:

I don't know how old your dc are, but would they appreciate a keepsake you had as a child such as jewely for the girls or something from dh for your ds? Maybe his favorite toy as a boy (antique tractor that's been boxed away, for example.)

Other crafty ideas: Hot glue fabric around a photo album or binder and make scrapbooks for them, either filled by you or ones they can do (If you have some paper, make a few blank pages.)

Make your girls hand written recipe books for when they have a home of their own of all your favorite recipes you do together.

Sew their dolls some new outfits.

If you or dh have some woodworking skills, you can make a wooden barn or simple cradle and paint it if you have some paint in the basement.

would your girls enjoy these lotion bars? and maybe your son too? my boys like anything i make for them especially if it has a "manly" scent...

http://grosgrainfabulous.blogspot.com/2011/05/free-pattern-month-day-11-cakies-a.html

of course, these would be cheap if you had most of the items on hand already..

also, do you have any fabric that you could make aprons out of for your kids? you can add some cookie or cake mixes with them....

Last year I bought an old bulletin board from Goodwill and covered it with burlap (using hot glue). I used decorative brads and ribbon around the edge to give it a finished look. My daughter loves this and it hangs proudly next to her bed with all her favorite photos and memories tacked on.

It looked similar to this, but with ribbon.

WC135_main.jpg

i keep thinking i'm done and i keep finding more stuff...

my boys are always finding little trinkets and treasures and wouldn't it be fun to have a secret hiding spot for them...

http://how2dostuff.blogspot.com/2006/02/how-to-make-secret-hollow-book.html

oh, and one year i painted wooden peg dolls into superheroes for my boys. i even made little peg superheroes of them...

Last year I bought an old bulletin board from Goodwill and covered it with burlap (using hot glue). I used decorative brads and ribbon around the edge to give it a finished look. My daughter loves this and it hangs proudly next to her bed with all her favorite photos and memories tacked on.

Here's a post about one I did for my dd to match her room.