Menu

So, my 12 and 14 yos just witnessed our neighbor's car being stolen . . .

My 12 yo says that crime fighting is hard work and he's too tired to do his schoolwork. What do you think???

My 12 yo was doing his schoolwork in his bed which is by a window. He saw a car pull up in front of our house. A guy jumped out(Will was able to give a VERY full description of the guy), sprinted to my neighbor's car (in his driveway), played with the window/door, got in the car and drove away. He left the car he drove up in running in front of my house.

We called the police and they immediately sent out cars looking for the jerk. They also sent two cars to my house. They interviewed my sons and had them give an official statement. The car left in front of my house? Stolen yesterday in a town north of here.

I'm SOOOOO angry. We live in a really nice area. Just recently there have been a number of these types of thefts and I'm just TICKED!!!! Leave my neighborhood alone. Go get a job and STOP TAKING OUR STUFF!!!!!

My 12 yo says that crime fighting is hard work and he's too tired to do his schoolwork. What do you think???

My 12 yo was doing his schoolwork in his bed which is by a window. He saw a car pull up in front of our house. A guy jumped out(Will was able to give a VERY full description of the guy), sprinted to my neighbor's car (in his driveway), played with the window/door, got in the car and drove away. He left the car he drove up in running in front of my house.

We called the police and they immediately sent out cars looking for the jerk. They also sent two cars to my house. They interviewed my sons and had them give an official statement. The car left in front of my house? Stolen yesterday in a town north of here.

I'm SOOOOO angry. We live in a really nice area. Just recently there have been a number of these types of thefts and I'm just TICKED!!!! Leave my neighborhood alone. Go get a job and STOP TAKING OUR STUFF!!!!!

We've had 2 break ins on our street in the past week and I feel the EXACT same way. Also live in a low crime, high property tax area. So frustrating! :glare:

Wow!!! Glad your 12yo happened to be watching though!

I am too!

We've had 2 break ins on our street in the past week and I feel the EXACT same way. Also live in a low crime, high property tax area. So frustrating! :glare:

Sounds like the area we live. Luckily, the police here are amazing and most of these jerks are found. Most are stupid teenagers who seem to be bored. The house behind me was broken into last week. Kids are knocking on your front door and if you don't answer, they break in the back. That kid was caught RIGHT away. I sure hope they catch this guy that my son saw.

RE. the being too tired for school work - I would tell him "nice try". (Unless he really seemed to be traumatized by it.)

My dd10 (dd8 at the time) witnessed the person who broke into our neighbor's house. She didn't know it was an actual break-in though and only described things for the police when they came around asking. It was amazing how well she could describe the vehicle and man! (I was proud of her observational skills).

P.S. The police caught the man who burgled our neighbor's house. It turned out to be their babysitter's boyfriend.

Yes, crime fighting is hard work. But crime fighters need to be educated. It is one of the things that separates us from the bad guys.

Good one!!!

RE. the being too tired for school work - I would tell him "nice try". (Unless he really seemed to be traumatized by it.)

My dd10 (dd8 at the time) witnessed the person who broke into our neighbor's house. She didn't know it was an actual break-in though and only described things for the police when they came around asking. It was amazing how well she could describe the vehicle and man! (I was proud of her observational skills).

P.S. The police caught the man who burgled our neighbor's house. It turned out to be their babysitter's boyfriend.

He doesn't seem traumatized at all! He's kind of looking forward to the possibility of having to take the witness stand if they catch the guy!

I was surprised at how well he described this guy too! Exactly what he was wearing down to his shoe color. My 14 yo had a guesstimate as to how tall he was based on how much taller than the car he stood!

Ugh. It's stories like these that make me rethink using a cash envelope system :( We had a rash of break-ins and thefts awhile back, but I haven't heard of anything in months. Knocking on wood here.

Jennifer, I do hope your son isn't traumatized by the experience, as good as it was that he was watching. I think Chucki has an excellent point, though!

I was thinking of you last week. I occurred to me out of the blue to google for updates on the Bashara case. That was so disturbing that even several states away, I've been still wanting closure on it. I couldn't recall your name, just your avatar and some connection with running (which seemed random until I noticed your sig).

So glad your son was able to be such a huge help to his neighbors and the police. That would probably be too much action for me to be able to refocus back on school, too.

:party:

BabyBaby had a much more low-key incident- she got to give the description of a stray dog that had been circling our house to the police officer. (excuse any grammar errors- short lunch break today :D)

Anyway- if it was my kid and he is normally a good student, caught up on his lessons, I would ditch the days plans and do a mini-unit study on crime prevention, court proceedings, etc. Whatever interests him about this- even look up tips on describing people. (and I am the LEAST unit-studyish person I know- and I;'m even worse at impromptu lessons like that) but really- being an active part of justice is, IMHO, way more important than doing another math drill. And of course i agree that we need to be educated and all that- but hopefully this will be a once-in-a-lifetime thing- make it memorable! or just make his favorite dinner or dessert if you can't change school plans.

And if it turns into a weekly event, then you'll just have to start writing witness descriptions and police statements into your lesson plans. :glare: :eek::rofl:

I say give him the rest of the day off. He probably is too keyed up to focus. I know how I am after an adrenalin rush, no way would I be able to sit down and work on school. Add in the distraction of a police interview....definitely the rest of the day off. Have him read a book about police work or CSI work if you want to not have the whole day wasted.

Great job to your kids! I would let them off the hook for normal school but I could see assigning them to write a story about what happened while I whip up a cake or something to celebrate being heros.

Funny aside, my sister saw a guy trying to break into a neighbor's car late one night after everyone went to bed. She ran and got my mom. My mom ran out the front door with a broom in one hand and the phone in the other. She called the cops and chased the guy away with the broom at the same time. We still laugh about that night. The police caught the guy a few blocks away and he was telling them all about the crazy lady that was hitting him with a broom. :lol: My mom is nuts and drives me insane more often than not but that story still cracks me up.

Great job to your kids! I would let them off the hook for normal school but I could see assigning them to write a story about what happened while I whip up a cake or something to celebrate being heros.

Funny aside, my sister saw a guy trying to break into a neighbor's car late one night after everyone went to bed. She ran and got my mom. My mom ran out the front door with a broom in one hand and the phone in the other. She called the cops and chased the guy away with the broom at the same time. We still laugh about that night. The police caught the guy a few blocks away and he was telling them all about the crazy lady that was hitting him with a broom. :lol: My mom is nuts and drives me insane more often than not but that story still cracks me up.

No one messes with a lady and her broom :lol:

What quick on their feet thinkers you have there op!

I was thinking of you last week. I occurred to me out of the blue to google for updates on the Bashara case. That was so disturbing that even several states away, I've been still wanting closure on it. I couldn't recall your name, just your avatar and some connection with running (which seemed random until I noticed your sig).

So glad your son was able to be such a huge help to his neighbors and the police. That would probably be too much action for me to be able to refocus back on school, too.

Ugh. The Bashara case. We are wondering if this is what has brought more crime into our neighborhood. We are a well-hidden, quiet neighborhood. We've never had crime like this. We are blaming BOB!!!!! Ugh.

We all want closure on it. We're glad he's in prison and the news trucks and helicopters are GONE!!!

Did you get the closure you were hoping for?

:party:

BabyBaby had a much more low-key incident- she got to give the description of a stray dog that had been circling our house to the police officer. (excuse any grammar errors- short lunch break today :D)

Anyway- if it was my kid and he is normally a good student, caught up on his lessons, I would ditch the days plans and do a mini-unit study on crime prevention, court proceedings, etc. Whatever interests him about this- even look up tips on describing people. (and I am the LEAST unit-studyish person I know- and I;'m even worse at impromptu lessons like that) but really- being an active part of justice is, IMHO, way more important than doing another math drill. And of course i agree that we need to be educated and all that- but hopefully this will be a once-in-a-lifetime thing- make it memorable! or just make his favorite dinner or dessert if you can't change school plans.

And if it turns into a weekly event, then you'll just have to start writing witness descriptions and police statements into your lesson plans. :glare: :eek::rofl:

OMG!!!! NO WAY! This will NOT become a weekly event!!!!! SHHHHHHHH!!!! We ended up just doing math. That's it. And, he had to write a paragraph on bullying for his karate class. Nice and low key.

I'd let him off the hook for the day. And I am a stickler type, bring your books on vacation, do your math on Saturdays person.

We did. Sort of. I told him to do his math and he did. Everything else was lost to good conversation. We are going to set up a neighborhood watch. My kids want to take a lead on this.

That is their job.

I'm sorry this happened in your neighborhood. That would make me nervous.

Ugh. I know. And, I'm ticked.

I should have grabbed a BROOM!!!! What was I thinking????? LOL

Dh went to his Boy Scout meeting tonight to see if he could get some sort of award. I hope so!!!

No one messes with a lady and her broom :lol:

What quick on their feet thinkers you have there op!

I credit karate. Their instructor has drilled into their heads to always be aware of your surroundings. AND, if you are suspicious, CALL THE POLICE!!! I heart her!!!

You could turn this into a really great civics lesson!

You could turn this into a really great civics lesson!

Yup!!! We are. Ds12 is as angry as I am. Dh took him to the police station today and they talked with the officers about setting up meetings with our neighbors and the police. They reiterated that they are VERY willing to take false alarms and are TOTALLY willing to check them out. NEVER feel silly about calling.

We will call the local school (across our street) tomorrow and ask about getting the auditorium for a meeting. We'll send out flyers to our neighbors and have the police there to help.

Ideas?

Yup!!! We are. Ds12 is as angry as I am. Dh took him to the police station today and they talked with the officers about setting up meetings with our neighbors and the police. They reiterated that they are VERY willing to take false alarms and are TOTALLY willing to check them out. NEVER feel silly about calling.

We will call the local school (across our street) tomorrow and ask about getting the auditorium for a meeting. We'll send out flyers to our neighbors and have the police there to help.

Ideas?

Oh, I think you misunderstood me! I was referring to making this an example of the improper role of government.

For instance, here is what I believe:

"I hold that the Constitution denies government the power to take from the individual either his life, liberty, or property except in accordance with moral law; that the same moral law which governs the actions of men when acting alone is also applicable when they act in concert with others; that no citizen or group of citizens has any right to direct their agent, the government to perform any act which would be evil or offensive to the conscience if that citizen were performing the act himself outside the framework of government."

It would be wrong and immoral for Person A, who has no car, to steal a car from Person B, who has two cars (or 100 cars).

Even worse would be for Person A to get the police involved (the LAW, which people created to PROTECT property) and FORCE Person B to hand over one of his two cars. It is still immoral, even, and especially, when the LAW/force is involved.

And so it is with our current welfare state.

I realize this in an over-simplified version of a very complicated issue, but that is the awesome thing about principles. They are simple and easy to apply to complicated issues, making it easy to see right from wrong.

Just my 2 cents.