Menu

how many hours a day for K?

faiths13

Im only doing about 1.5 to 2 hours a day for my kinder guy. How much does everyone else do? Is that really enough? I am trying to focus on the 3 r's and then throw in science and history when I can.

ETA: Another question for ya - if you only do a small amount for K, how many hours do you do for 1st?

Edited by faiths13

I think it really depends on your Ker. My dd did 2-3 hours a day. My ds does about 1.5-2hrs. They are different kids and have different needs. My focus in K is the 4R's. History read alouds are mandatory, but regular history and science are optional, but he almost always joins in.

Formal work ranges from 45 min to 1.5 hours 4 days a week, focusing on the math, reading, writing. Everything else is very informal, we might talk about birds when we hear a bunch of them outside, talk about the 3 states of matter while I cook the spaghetti, go for a walk and collect leaves etch... I am trying to incorporate some kind of craft once a week. (Not my thing)

I never did more than 30ish minutes for formal work in kindergarten. I focused on just the basics: handwriting, phonics, reading, and math. The rest of their time was for playing. We live a full life, so they were always exposed to other topics naturally during read-alouds, trips to museums, etc. My oldest two had no problem transitioning to a fuller schedule in first grade (2-2.5 hrs of formal work plus several hrs of reading). They both are well above grade level now.

I just don't think it takes that long one on one with a kindergartener to get through their daily work. We are part of a cyber school and we have Math, Phonics, Lit and Comprehension, Language Skills, handwriting, history, science, art, and music. The 3 r's are daily and the rest rotates during the week. We are supposed to log 6 hours a day. They sent us a cheat sheet on what to put in for each subject's time daily to get those 6 hours b/c they know it doesn't take that long one on one with a k'er. It takes my k'er maybe 2 hours if I went straight through with just him to finish his subjects and he is already 1/2 way through their kindergarten curriculum.

So I think 2 hours is plenty.

Depends on the day, but it probably averages an hour a day. We do etc or opgtr, HWOT, and calendar each day. Oh and he reads to me , usually a Bob Book. Extras are math games, history read aloud, music, art and French - they get done once to three times a week.

With my oldest, I probably spent 2-3 hours a day homeschooling. For my youngest (of 4) it is less than an hour of formal schooling, but we live a real learning lifestyle.

So he might get 20 minutes of math, 20 minutes of language arts (phonics and handwriting) and 15 minutes of his Bible. Then we read books and he listens to books that the older boys are doing. He watches movies and documentaries with the older kids and watches some of their learning computer games.

He goes on all of our field trips and enjoys most of them. We listen to tons of audio books in the car...

I think it depends on the kid and the family, but no need to stress on kindergarten. Make it fun and interesting!

Emily

We do about 45 minutes to an hour of school... phonics, math, handwriting and sonlight p4/5. He has several extra curricular type activities on top of this, but no other official school stuff.

Now that I think about it, Bible time probably adds an additional 20 minutes or so, but we do that all together... so I forget that it is part of DS's school.

We get through handwriting, a page of Singapore Math and a reading passage in less than 30 minutes. My wee boy reads alone a lot independently too. I think he learns more in his free time at the moment from books and being out and about. :auto:

Edited by Sally Day

We did 30-45 minutes 4 days a week. We covered phonics, math, handwriting, reading around, history, science, lit, and poetry memorization. I rotated and we did a day of lit, a day of science, a day of history, etc. Every book he read aloud to me or to himself coordinayed with something we studied. In that time frame, he completed more than a kindergarten level of work.

It depends on the kid, but I tend to think less is more at that age. They need lots of time for play and crafts.

My wee boy reads alone a lot indepeendently too. I think he learns more in his free time at the moment from books and being out and about. :auto:

This was totally the case with my previous K'er which is why I'm so light this time around and mostly focused on helping my second (current) K'er toward reading.

1 hour. Ish, lol.

I like to look at output more than time spent. Ds is beginning to read, is drawing letters on his own for fun, quickly grasped the concepts of addition and subtraction, and enjoys his Thinking Skills book. So 1 hour a day (ish!) has exceeded my output expectations for that particular child.

I'm like you, 1.5-2 hours a day, which includes ABeka phonics, reading, writing, and numbers; Bible; and about 5 minutes of modern language. The time varies only depending on how many writing pages ABeka assigns. They have a lot of writing pages sometimes, and my son is a young Ker, so he can zone out sometimes; or sometimes he's perfectionistic about his writing and takes a while. His handwriting is turning out very nice, though! I don't worry about history or science, except for occasionally reading a picture book on animals to him. I guess that also might include break time on occasion, when I have to go feed the baby, etc.

I'm not sure since our Kinder stuff is spread around during the day or week, and how to factor in those teachable moments in the time? But for basics (math, lang arts) I spend about a half hour on each of those in the morning. Other things science, nature study, art, etc, take about an hour or two. Some of that he does with my oldest, and some of that is just a couple afternoons a week.

.5 at the most. The only thing I require of my kindergarten kids is some phonics, penmanship, and working with numbers. Short 'n sweet.

That's not counting the frequent reading aloud. If they get anything out of hanging out with the big kids history and science it's gravy. :001_smile:

About 30 minutes to do math and some reading, which we do every day. Add another 20 minutes if we do science (1-2 times per week), and another 40 if we do art (which is a DVD program, so I'm not teaching it). Crafts and reading and field trips and everything else just sort of come when they fit in. Some days we do a lot of things, other days not much at all.

We do about 45 minutes or less of Saxon Math 1, 45 minutes or less for Saxon Phonics 1, 5 minutes or less of learning the Greek alphabet, 5 minutes or less of Building Thinking Skills Hands-On, and probably 10 minutes of reading a Bob Book to me. He also does a handwriting page mostly independently that takes him maybe 15 minutes. We are using Logic of English Manuscript for that. When he finishes that he will do the Phonics Museum K workbook for reinforcing all his skills. I did not include our memory work time which can probably takes an hour all together. And I read to him at night for probably 30 minutes. Bible is done as family devotions and a Bible story. So if you include all of that it is 4 hours, but at least an hour of that feels more like family time than school......

I taught my sons to read in K, and required 10 minutes of handwriting per day but that was it. Maybe 30 minutes total?

It is not like they were not learning, we just didn't do anything formal. We went to the library and museums, and my dh read to them, and they started taking violin, and we did lots of playing with numbers and estimating distances etc. It was a great introduction to school.

In first grade, they started math (20 minutes), writing went up to 20 minutes, and they continued to work with me on advanced reading.

Ruth in NZ