Menu

Campfire marshmallows

DH built a fire pit in the back yard several days ago. Daily, since then, DD12 has been asking to toast marshmallows. :D

So, tonight, we built a small fire, let it burn down to coals, and toasted marshmallows. Yum!

Here's my question:

Does anyone really like S'mores? We like the toasted marshmallows and we'll eat the chocolate straight, but it isn't better to layer them together on a graham cracker. :bigear:

Oh, I love s'mores. Yum! My kids were begging to have a fire tonight but it was raining outside and just too warm to do one in the fireplace. But once it gets cool we usually do it every weekend.

My DD loves her s'more with a Reese's cup instead of chocolate. And we have played around with the recipe a lot, depending what we have on hand. Cookies or even bagels instead of graham crackers. All sorts of candy that will melt. Also nutella spread works well.

Now I am so hungry! :tongue_smilie:

When we were in middle school, my brother and I used to roast marshmallows over the electric burners on the stove when Mom wasn't looking. Worked great until he dropped one and it melted all over the burner. We had no idea how to clean a mess like that up, so we just sort of wiped it off the best we could once it cooled. The next time she turned the stove on, we were so busted :D

S'mores is the only way I will eat a marshmallow. They are gross otherwise. S'mores with pb cups are the BEST. Chocolate or peppermint patties are pretty good too!

Yes, with the york peppermint patties!! I forgot about that, mmmmmm. It is always fun to pull out the candies we want to use for s'mores when the kids get their trick or treat stash! :D

When we were in middle school, my brother and I used to roast marshmallows over the electric burners on the stove when Mom wasn't looking. Worked great until he dropped one and it melted all over the burner. We had no idea how to clean a mess like that up, so we just sort of wiped it off the best we could once it cooled. The next time she turned the stove on, we were so busted :D

:lol: That totally sounds like something my sister and I would have done. We tried once with the gas stove. :lol::lol: Sometimes I am amazed that we lived through our childhood. :001_huh:

Does anyone really like S'mores? We like the toasted marshmallows and we'll eat the chocolate straight, but it isn't better to layer them together on a graham cracker. :bigear:

Love them, but only if they are made fresh for me. Preferably with dark choc. With a cup of coffee.

The bigger question: Can anyone say what the apostrophe replaces in s'mores? What is the non-elided word for s'mores?

The bigger question: Can anyone say what the apostrophe replaces in s'mores? What is the non-elided word for s'mores?

I've always assumed it was "some more". :lol: Because after having one, you always want s'more.

Edited to add from Wikipedia, just because I found it interesting!

It is unknown whether the Girl Scouts were the first to make s'mores, but there appears to be no earlier claim to this snack. Although it is unknown when the name was shortened, recipes for "Some Mores" are in various Girl Scout publications until at least 1973

Edited by Pegasus

I love s'mores! I don't even need the campfire. Ten seconds in the microwave will do in a pinch.

This is exactly what my kids do. However, I don't let them have chocolate on a regular basis, so they make "Sorta S'mores." Graham crackers with a marshmallow and a few seconds in the microwave. They love it! :lol:

This is exactly what my kids do. However, I don't let them have chocolate on a regular basis, so they make "Sorta S'mores." Graham crackers with a marshmallow and a few seconds in the microwave. They love it! :lol:

My kids call those marshmallow sandwiches. It all started because my dd is weird and doesn't eat chocolate at all, I would let her eat all she wanted, but she doesn't like it.

Ok, that was TOTALLY rude. Did you even consider my struggle before you posted this?

Sorry about that! But somebody needs to balance out the all-natural free-range organic gluten-free vegan low-carb no-sugar dye-free talk around here. :tongue_smilie:

(planning my next thread to be on deep fried twinkies. . . )

We tried something new this year- campfire cones. They're like s'mores.....you take a waffle cone, fill it with mini marshmallows, choc chips and whatever else you want. Baking chips come in lots of flavors to try and we routinely added sliced straw berries and bananas. Another popular one was apple pieces and Carmel chips.....we camped a lot this year :001_smile: you wrap them in foil and stick them at the edge of the fire. I liked these a bit better than s'mores because the waffle cone was better than the graham cracker.