Menu

Scout moms-cooler weather camping tips?

Ds is going to his first camporee this weekend. The temps are going to be cool, 50s during the day and 30s at night. There is the possibility of some light showers, but no drenching downpours.

So, for you moms that have been there, done that, what are some tips for this type of weather, and what am I surely forgetting that he needs to take?

As my scout son said to me once... "Cotton Kills." Definitely dress in layers, but make sure that none of them are the kind that will make him colder if he gets wet. If he is outside the entire time and he gets damp, hypothermia is a risk. A good sleeping bag on a decent camp mat that provides a cold barrier is a must. Also, encourage him to wear a hat. Wool hiking socks are good (and good for sleeping.) He also need to be sure that none of his stuff is in contact with the tent or the moisture will seep through. If he wants a dry night and dry clothes in the morning, that is a good idea. My son would put is next-day clothes in the sleeping bag with him so that they would be warm for morning.

Don't discount the value of actually wearing those scout uniforms - those long sleeve shirts and pants are excellent top layers and shed water pretty well. Layer with thermal underwear underneath and a wool sweater if it's REALLY cold. We use the uniforms here as the main covering year round - 60-70 in the summer and -30F in the winter, though DS16 has a pair of wool army pants that he likes to wear over his scout pants when it's below -20F

A good rain coat that comes below hip level or a good poncho are a must. And if your kid gets cold sleeping, tell them to pull on a warm cap before they crawl in their sleeping bag.

Of course, 50F degrees here would have half the troop in shorts.....

Don't discount the value of actually wearing those scout uniforms - those long sleeve shirts and pants are excellent top layers and shed water pretty well. Layer with thermal underwear underneath and a wool sweater if it's REALLY cold. We use the uniforms here as the main covering year round - 60-70 in the summer and -30F in the winter, though DS16 has a pair of wool army pants that he likes to wear over his scout pants when it's below -20F

A good rain coat that comes below hip level or a good poncho are a must. And if your kid gets cold sleeping, tell them to pull on a warm cap before they crawl in their sleeping bag.

Of course, 50F degrees here would have half the troop in shorts.....

:lol: I'm sure.

I'm glad he's getting this trip in before the polar camp, so we can learn from our mistakes. I honestly don't think it's going to be too bad. I just know there's some gear we don't have yet that he'll probably figure out on this trip that he NEEDS.

Bring extra socks! My son takes three pairs of socks per day that he is gone, especially when it's cold. The slightest dampness, from perspiration or rain, makes for cold feet. Remind him to roll out his sleeping bag in his tent as soon as he sets up. Bags need a few hours to regain their loft, which is vital if they are to actually provide warmth and insulation. Compressed bags are cold bags.

No air mattresses of any type, even the self-inflating ones, in cold weather, you'll just end up colder. DS prefers closed cell foam. Sleep in a hat. My DS is very thin and he prefers to sleep in gloves, too. Mummy bags are great if you have one.

Double up socks. You can buy liner socks fairly cheaply. Wear these under wool socks. The liners wick moisture away from the foot and help keep the toes warm. Liner gloves under heavier gloves are also nice, although you wouldn't likely need them at these temperatures.

Drink something warm before bed. For me this is the key to going to sleep warm on a winter campout! We've done sub-zero campouts before with scouts, and I couldn't have done it without a thermos of hot tea or cider.

Ditto to what everyone else said...

I'm sure he'll be busy enough during the day and early evening that he won't be cold - it's just the night time to be prepared for.

I just back from a girl scout camping trip and one of the girls, who refuses to take any of my advice re clothing and gear, was miserable all weekend, and it was only down to the mid 50s at night. She kept telling me her hoodie and sweatpants were warm because they are fuzzy. Really? Then why are you cold? And, no, you cannot wear them to bed when you've worn them around camp all afternoon and evening. They are damp! My own dd finally listened and brought her non-cotton long johns and shirt for bed. She was toasty warm and actually had to unzip her bag!

Thanks for all the tips! I think I'm going to head to Wal-Mart for some last minute stuff. As for non-cotton socks/long-johns, etc. do you think they may have some in sporting goods by the hunting gear?

I agree that during the day he'll most likely be fine, but I do worry at night.

Gah, I'm driving ds and dh NUTSO!

As my scout son said to me once... "Cotton Kills." Definitely dress in layers, but make sure that none of them are the kind that will make him colder if he gets wet. If he is outside the entire time and he gets damp, hypothermia is a risk. A good sleeping bag on a decent camp mat that provides a cold barrier is a must. Also, encourage him to wear a hat. Wool hiking socks are good (and good for sleeping.) He also need to be sure that none of his stuff is in contact with the tent or the moisture will seep through. If he wants a dry night and dry clothes in the morning, that is a good idea. My son would put is next-day clothes in the sleeping bag with him so that they would be warm for morning.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: with all of the above. My dd was on a rafting trip this summer, there was a sudden drop in temps (30s) with heavy rain and most of the troop became hypothermic. It was a really dangerous situation. (Rescue/aid was needed. Even leaders were affected)

She followed the rules - no cotton, correct gear- had wool, polypropylene, and quick dri polyester and she was fine. (She would have been better if all of her gear had been in her raft- long story- not her fault)

Everything in the above post is excellent advice! I wanted to highlight the 'good' parts, but it's all good!

Tell him to pack individual outfits in ziploc bags too, that way he has a clean dry set of clothes if it rains and his bag or backpack does get wet. The best advice, lots of extra socks! It's the one lesson ds learned and didn't repeat. Some things he continues to blow off, but never the extra socks. Knit hat for sleeping is another. Trash bags can quickly be made into ponchos or backpack covers of necessary. A scout should always have trash bags and duct tape!

Make sure he changes into DRY clothes when he climbs into his sleeping bag. The clothes he wore during the day will be damp from perspiration and he'll be cold all night. It adds up. If he's ever read any mountaineering books, he'll hear tales of sleeping bags that weighed pounds more by the end of the trip. Fleece hat on whilst sleeping. And do NOT stick your face down in your bag! Layers, layers, layers. We had Rendezvous last weekend and the boys were quite comfortable at 20 degrees. Ds will be backpacking tonight and it will be down around 15.

YES! DS had to come home in the middle of the night because he very dumbly went to bed in his day clothes:glare: Shakes and nausea set it and he was done

Be sure to check every item in your son's pack before he leaves. Teens sometimes underestimate how cold the weather will be. Once a Scout parent in our family's troop dropped off his son for a weekend hiking trip -- the son was wearing tennis shoes (not hiking boots), blue jeans, and a hoodie. There was very little in his pack. Turns out the temps that weekend dipped into the 20s, and it snowed for the first time that fall. The Scoutmaster had to scramble to find appropriate clothes for the boy, and he called the boy's dad and ROASTED him when the troop returned.

Edited by Rebecca VA

As my scout son said to me once... "Cotton Kills."

I laughed when I saw this, because my first thought on reading the OP was "cotton kills." I've heard that so many times...

Great advice from all. I'm curious though - does the troop not include a packing list?

My kid takes a rain jacket and rain pants. You might also look for a fleece sleeping bag liner, though it might not be cold enough for that, depending on the sleeping bag.

Hope your Scout has fun! My boy is going on a camporee next weekend. But I don't have to be involved in his packing anymore! :D

Make sure he changes into DRY clothes when he climbs into his sleeping bag. The clothes he wore during the day will be damp from perspiration and he'll be cold all night. It adds up. If he's ever read any mountaineering books, he'll hear tales of sleeping bags that weighed pounds more by the end of the trip. Fleece hat on whilst sleeping. And do NOT stick your face down in your bag! Layers, layers, layers. We had Rendezvous last weekend and the boys were quite comfortable at 20 degrees. Ds will be backpacking tonight and it will be down around 15.

:iagree: I agree. It is vital to keep your changes of clothes dry too. Baggies, dry bags, trash bags, whatever it takes. Rainponcho a must. Extra tarp or something under the sleeping bag. Do not put it on the floor of the tent. My youngest ds is going to Camporee in wet, chilly conditions tonight too. Older ds is taking the SAT tomorrow so not going.

He's gone! I can stop worrying about it :001_smile:. I ended up buying him some wool blend hunting socks and some long sleeve, water wicking shirts to wear under his class A. Most of the other stuff we had already packed.

It's so funny how different he acts once he gets around his scout buddies. I guess he's still goofy, but it's scout goofy, not home goofy. And is it just my imagination or is his speaking voice deeper when he's around the scouts :D?

I know they'll have blast, no matter the weather. Thanks SO much for the input. I love having experienced scout moms here!