Menu

So dh and I watched Forks Over Knives tonight...

...and although most of it was not really new to me, I've tried vegetarian plans through the years and never stayed on them. But there was something in the presentation of this show that made me want to try this plant based lifestyle again. But I am afraid. Afraid of my family going hungry while I'm trying to figure out and prepare enough food to serve a full meal (hamburger is just so easy). Afraid of the expense of it all (yes, I know a by-pass is more expensive). Afraid I will give us some kind of terrible nutritional deficiency (ridiculous, I know). Afraid that I will invest all this emotional energy and expense into something that I may not be able to keep up for long, because we all really enjoy grilled steaks and hamburgers. I want to reverse health problems while they are still not emergencies, but I'm afraid I will fail at it again. How do you make up your mind and then stay the course, when it rocks your whole family's boat?

ETA: Short update in post 21 :)

Edited by Blueridge

I have not watched Knives over Forks but it is on my list. We have had to modifiy our diet due to my daughters allergies.

It was over whelming until I went out in to the blog world and found some WONDER people who put great info out and meal plans who answer question and really help modify our special needs.

My advise dont do all or nothing. Slowly making changes and as your palette changes and you will see that some meals are faster easy and taste better than some comfort foods we were use to

One of my favorite is Healthful Pursuits

Doing it as a family will be easier. i am mostly vegan, alone. Meal planning is becoming horrendous. I really need to get better at this.

Grilled veggie sish kabobs and grilled potatoes are To Die For. You will find new favorites. Olive oil and salt or coconit oil and salt are such awesome butter replacements that I actually PREFER these now. Especially coconit oil.

There are tons of websites out there to help you get started.

I say pick the easiest meal for you to modify...like breakfast. I don't know what your choice would be, breakfast would be mine. Then I would pick three breakfasts that I could handle. Something like oatmeal with almond milk instead of dairy. I would get three or four breakfasts down and then move onto another meal. Just keep rotating in new things and discarding others. Change ONE snack item at a time. If your family are big cheese stick fans then stop buying just that and find something else. Then move onto something else. Don't stop, but don't rush.

Just make a small change, live with it for a while and then make another. Don't do anything all crazy drastic or it will just overwhelming.

Or, pick a food category and change that first. For example, give up dairy. Start with milk, then cheese then yogurt, then butter, then things with added dairy. In a month or so you will be dairy free. Or two months, it isn't a race after all. Then just live with it for a month or two. Then try subbing out a type of meat for a vegetarian option. Or try subbing out ALL meat, or subbing out meat at breakfast or dinner.

You don't have to have it done by the end of the month. You can give yourself as long as you need. With the holidays coming up, you can experiment with vegan baking! Forks Over Knives is fat-free vegan so I imagine baking could be a fun challenge. I have been removing fat and reducing sugar from my baking and enjoying the results. Try adapting some old traditions and make a few new ones. Go to your library and take out some cookbooks. It doesn't have to be vegan cookbooks, it can be anything. Look for new things to try and new ways to approach food.

I would start small, 3 meatless nights a week and go from there. And while frankenfood faux meats are pricey, making your own meat substitutions are very inexpensive. Lentils are wonderful, I use them to sub for sloppy joes, taco meat and chili. Beans mixed with rice make a very nice protein. I do a guacamole, bean and rice bowl with salsa and lettuce for Chipotle type meals. I also use portobello mushrooms for a "meaty" texture, we eat them as hamburgers. These are pricey, but still cheaper than meat IMO.

If you're not quite sure what to cook and want something to get you started, you might subscribe to a meal planning service for a few months. We did something similar when my husband started eating low carb. I just didn't know what to cook and it's been so helpful to have it all laid out. Some of the services have a vegetarian plan.

Erica in OR

...and although most of it was not really new to me, I've tried vegetarian plans through the years and never stayed on them. But there was something in the presentation of this show that made me want to try this plant based lifestyle again. But I am afraid. Afraid of my family going hungry while I'm trying to figure out and prepare enough food to serve a full meal (hamburger is just so easy). Afraid of the expense of it all (yes, I know a by-pass is more expensive). Afraid I will give us some kind of terrible nutritional deficiency (ridiculous, I know). Afraid that I will invest all this emotional energy and expense into something that I may not be able to keep up for long, because we all really enjoy grilled steaks and hamburgers. I want to reverse health problems while they are still not emergencies, but I'm afraid I will fail at it again. How do you make up your mind and then stay the course, when it rocks your whole family's boat?

We just watched this for the first time the other night and while it is cheering to see people motivated to move away from eating a diet of life threatening junk-food, the truth is there are choices beyond either the "Standard American Diet" (SAD) and being vegan (which in this film goes by the euphemism "plant based diet" seemingly for marketing purposes).

If one had to choose between these two options I'd take the "plant based diet" anytime. The SAD is deadly. But as much as we could also hope to see people eat more healthfully, I am unconvinced that a vegan diet is more optimal than a mostly plant based diet that still includes fish, and some meat and animal products.

If you walked away from the film inspired to cut out food you know is crap (excuse the French) and consciously increase the amount of veggies and beans and other good things in your diet, my feeling is you could still enjoy your occasional steak without guilt.

Many societies with demonstrably good heath have included a wide mix of healthful foods in their diet, including fish and reasonable amounts of meat and dairy (the latter particularly in the West where lactose intolerance is more rare).

The SAD will kill you. But as with many things in life there is more than a binary choice between a SAD and being vegan.

Bill

There are a lot of vegetarian things that are easy as well. Veggie burgers are easy. There are so many kinds you could find ones that you like best (tomato basil burgers, black bean burgers, etc.).

Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? You could start with some premade/frozen things just for the ease of it all.

If you are thinking of going vegan, this website has some super easy recipes: http://theveganstoner.com/ (Good for those of us who don't really know how to cook!).

You don't have to go all vegan/vegetarian, either. You can start by adding more salads, veggies, fruits, etc to your meal plans.

A "plants based diet" to me means it is composed of a majority of plant foods. We eat meat, but we eat far more fruits, vegetables and grains than we do meat. So I consider our diet very much a "plants based diet."

We watched this movie, and were already following the Michael Pollan mantra - Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants. - so we did not see the movie as a compelling reason to become vegan as some people do.

I'm vegan and I can assure you, eating this way gets easier over time. :) You're just used to your way of eating. I'm now used to this way of eating. People get so stressed over changing, and I can understand why, but it's honestly so simple once you're immersed in it.

That being said, what others have said, about doing it slowly, is good advice. Don't go plant-based/vegan over night. Start out slowly. Try a new recipe a week. If it fails, oh well. But if 5 recipes a week fail, then you're most likely to fail. :)

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. :)

I'm not an all or nothing type. Why not eat vegetarian most of the time knowing that occasionally you'll grill a steak or burger. I would think you'll still reap health benefits and keep something that adds to the quality of your life. Now go watch "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and it'll make you want to buy a juicer :lol:.

We watched it. And we bought a juicer. We have a fruit juice in the morning (with a handful of spinach or kale) and a veggie juice in the evening (with an apple or two). :D

I have that movie. So many people I know wanted to watch it but didn't have netflix that I just bought a copy to loan out.

We did move to a plant based lifestyle. Actually I should say we are moving to a plant based lifestyle. I no longer eat meat. Dh eats it when he is away from home. He is more of a flexitarian. Dd doesn't cook yet but I don't see her sticking to the plant based diet after leaving home.

It is difficult to meal plan if one isn't used to it. We do still eat eggs and dairy. I do stick to local eggs and local dairy. I was making lots of one dish meals. Those seemed easiest in the beginning. I'd substitute beans, lentils or mushrooms for the beef. It has taken about 6 months but now we are moving more toward fruits and veggies on the plate. Last night we had baked potato, carrots, apple slices, asparagus and Caesar salad.

One of the things that moved my cooking in the right direction was the fact that I'd buy all this fresh produce and after a week it needed to be cooked. Last night it was the carrots, potatoes and asparagus that needed to be eaten. I still have a head of Napa cabbage and a head of green cabbage that need to be cooked over the next two days. Not great meal planning there, but it does make one think outside the box.

If you are interested my blog has a meal planning section with my rotating winter menus. You might get an idea or two there. The dishes are not vegan. And only the main course is listed. I put fruit, salad or other veggies with the things listed.

I do agree with Bill to an extent. One doesn't have to go all out vegan (and no oils as Esselstyn recommends) to have a nutrient rich plant based diet. Over time if you stick with it you'll get darn close though.

Also, start slowly. It took about 18 months of less and less meat (more and more fruit and veg) in our diet to finally make the switch.

Thank you all for the encouragements! I was impressed with the solid data in the program, but I didn't like the findings! I am an 'all or nothing' sort of gal, so I could probably do fairly well just starting it this morning...but Dh and the girls are going to take some convincing. ;) I watched the Fire Engine 2 video as well, and that probably scared me...he goes into a couple's kitchen and starts purging it of all the nasty things like organic deli turkey, cereals, and olive oil. :001_huh: If he came into my kitchen, there would be a few bags of salad greens left...While we did make the switch to almond milk several years ago (both packaged and homemade), I currently have 6 pounds of assorted cheeses, 12 Greek yogurts, and boxes of real butter in the freezer. These are my staples, which is one of my biggest challenges cause I can't imagine using a sprinkling of nutritional yeast instead of several cups of gooey cheese on top of a casserole. I have a long way to go...I did buy the Forks Over Knives cookbook for my iPad last night, and it looks interesting! I am going to make a meal plan and start the transition...but I plan to keep some steak in the freezer for emergencies ;). Thank you again for your help!

ETA: Just made a smoothie from the new cookbook and it is great. I used to make green smoothies but got out of the habit. It really is good. I know I can do this over the short haul, it's just keeping it going that I'm worried about. I am going to check my BP today to have a baseline. Oh, and my weight, too. <snort> ;)

Edited by Blueridge

Afraid of the expense of it all

I have been vegetarian or vegan from the first quarter of my freshman year at university, so I don't know how much is costs to buy ground meat or steaks or whatever, but I will say that my grocery budget for a family of 5 is less than the USDA's "thrifty" food plan, the cheapest level they have. Being vegetarian is only expensive if you buy a lot of fake meats and processed foods.

My favorite vegan information lady, Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, says, "Don't do nothing because you can't do everything. Do something. Do anything." There are no vegetarian police who will knock on your door to make sure you are perfect.

Tara

We won't be doing vegetarian here for health reasons. So far, two of us are much better off eating meat- one has on/off anemia and I have B12 deficiency. Then there is the fact that doing vegetarian while severely allergic to citric acid (which is in many fruits and some vegetables) would be very limiting in diet and that is what we would have to do for the third person. So for three out of four, eating meat and dairy is not only healthier, it is essential for good health.

I have been vegetarian or vegan from the first quarter of my freshman year at university, so I don't know how much is costs to buy ground meat or steaks or whatever, but I will say that my grocery budget for a family of 5 is less than the USDA's "thrifty" food plan, the cheapest level they have.

Curiosity got the better of me. It was interesting to see. We slide right into the Low-Cost Plan.

We eat grassed beef, pastured pork and chicken(every single lunch and supper, we like our meat:001_smile:). Due to food allergies and lactose intolerance my kids all drink some sort of specialized milk (aka more expensive) but otherwise we eat conventionally raised produce. Our family comes in about 300 a month below the thrifty plan for our family size. I think we make off so well because we buy in bulk. So even eating meat doesn't mean we have to spend a lot. But those charts are interesting even though I find the amounts ridiculously high (at least compared to food costs in our area).

We just watched this for the first time the other night and while it is cheering to see people motivated to move away from eating a diet of life threatening junk-food, the truth is there are choices beyond either the "Standard American Diet" (SAD) and being vegan (which in this film goes by the euphemism "plant based diet" seemingly for marketing purposes).

If one had to choose between these two options I'd take the "plant based diet" anytime. The SAD is deadly. But as much as we could also hope to see people eat more healthfully, I am unconvinced that a vegan diet is more optimal than a mostly plant based diet that still includes fish, and some meat and animal products.

If you walked away from the film inspired to cut out food you know is crap (excuse the French) and consciously increase the amount of veggies and beans and other good things in your diet, my feeling is you could still enjoy your occasional steak without guilt.

Many societies with demonstrably good heath have included a wide mix of healthful foods in their diet, including fish and reasonable amounts of meat and dairy (the latter particularly in the West where lactose intolerance is more rare).

The SAD will kill you. But as with many things in life there is more than a binary choice between a SAD and being vegan.

Bill

:iagree:

Bill

:iagree: I am frantically trying to push that "like" button!

I wanted to post an update to say that Dh and I agreed to start a plant based diet. I have limited foods on hand until I can go grocery shopping on Friday, but I've found plenty of recipes in the Knives Over Forks cookbook that I could do. Love that book! This morning I had steel cut oats with dried cherries and maple syrup and it lasted me all morning. The girls helped me make a veggie plate and some quick hummus and tiny WW pita pockets for lunch. I can't see myself giving up my coffee, but who knows. I actually feel good today, and have plenty of energy to go walking. I'm glad I saw the program, and I plan to take this one day at a time. Thanks again for your advice!

Edited by Blueridge

I have been vegan for a long time, my husband a daughter are vegan, my sons are not. One son eats every food there is as often as he can :D and the oldest eats dairy products and fish, no beef, poultry, or pork. Cooking is hard here. The older two are away at college so it is easier right now. I like to always have a spinach salad at every meal so my carnivore gets at least that and I cook chicken for him most of the time. I am a short order cook. I always look forward to fall so I can drag the crockpot out. There are some awesome vegan slow cooker recipes out there and this helps me so much. I can start dinner in the morning for the vegans and throw meat on the grill at dinner time for the carnivore. My husband actually recently started eating a little fish again. We are training for a marathon and he says he is just craving it...which is making me crave it...it will be interesting to see how this goes. :glare:

We watched the movie earlier this year. We were already juicing but have made some additional changes as well. I guess we would call ourselves flexitarians. We still eat meat but not as often. We usually have at least half of our weekly dinners now without meat and rarely have meat for lunch or breakfast.

As for the plant based vs vegetarian label, I read a book called The Idiot's a Guide to Plant Based Eating (or something like that) that was recommended on the website for the movie. The author said she preferred the term plant based and building a diet based on a variety of whole foods instead of what you don't eat because planning that way leads to a healthier lifestyle than just saying I don't eat meat, dairy, etc. I know people who don't eat meat but aren't very healthy because what they do eat is processed junk food mostly.

If you are looking for a middle of the road healthy approach (flexitarian) you might try the blog 100 days of real food. I've gotten lots of recipes and ideas from there. I will say that at first making changes was overwhelming and I was frustrated with what to plan for meals but once I decided I didn't have to be perfect we've adjusted well. We have juice pretty daily and green smoothies a lot. I feel a lot better but I would say that reducing processed foods is just as responsible as reducing meat.