Menu

Wii -vs- other game systems...

We are thinking of buying a game system for our family for Xmas. I would like to hear the pros and cons from those of you who own the Wii or any of the other game systems. Someone recently told me that the Wii "wears out" after about 2 or 3 years. ??? I know the Wii is more interactive...but, I've read complaints about the graphics not being that good. ???

We have no idea which system will give us the biggest bang for our buck. DH and I are leaning toward the Wii just because it's not a sedentary game...but, would like to hear opinions from anyone for any of the systems.

Thanks!

~Holly

I have not researched the Wii too much so I can't comment on that. We do have a PlayStation3 because it doubles as a BlueRay DVD player. The video games are high quality graphics and they have a good selection for all age levels. We are very pleased with it! It's also supposedly the best BlueRay player available right now. This of course, is disputable, but again we are thrilled with the movie quality. So, bang for your buck, I'd get PS3.

If your kids are younger though, you may want to get the Wii. I think the games are likely better for the younger crowd.

HTH

If your kids are younger though, you may want to get the Wii. I think the games are likely better for the younger crowd.

I will agree with this as well. Playstation does not have very many games that cater to the younger crowd. If you want a truly starter console then you might consider getting a used gamecube for the kids from gamestop, you can get them for under $50.

We love our Wii! It has lots of family type games (Mario bros. sports etc) that all ages can play. More people (grandparents, younger kids) like playing it, so we can take it to family functions, and its not just the older kids attatched to it. It probably doesn't have as good of high-tech visual, but for me it is a good trade off. My son is 16, and I do let him play some of the semi-violent stuff on X-box, but I didn't want him having one at home. I much prefer the options Wii has.

I only gave in because some of the games require you to get off your butt.

The Wii games such as Wii Sports, Carnival, Game Party are fun to play in groups and are more family oriented than what's available on other systems. There are games that are available for the Wii that are just like other systems, but I steer clear of them.

There are better graphics for sure, but I'm not looking to replicate real life.

As far as the life span of the Wii, I don't know. I've heard complaints about all the gaming systems dying out early. I know that all these systems have cooling fans and they need them to support the graphics and speed of the processors, so that could be an issue. It could be they are more fragil than the older systems. I don't know. We bought the extended warranty, hope I won't need it.

My kids are still jealous of their friends with PS3's and Xboxes, but oh well!

How old are your kids? I would definitely second the response that Nintendo makes more and better games for younger kids than the other system manufacturers. They also have what I would consider (being one myself) more games for the girl gamers out there. And a wider selection of non-violent games. We have an Xbox and a Wii and a game cube, and most of the Xbox titles have to do with fighting or racing or sports, or something like that. The graphics may be better on the Xbox or Playstation than the Wii. But playing the Wii is a lot of fun. My 4 year old loves it. We all do.

I would suggest looking through the game titles available for each system before you decide. Pick the system that has the most titles that would appeal to your family.

I would go for the Wii. You can play Gamecube games on the Wii. We have just about every kind of gaming system (wish I could say it was because of my dh line of work like abbeyej) and the Wii is used the most by the whole family.

True the Wii does not have the best graphics, if your really into gaming your probably better off with a PC for that anyway.

We have several gaming systems and IMO, for kid friendly/family friendly games I would stick with any Nintendo system over the others.

Wii is a TON of fun, and of course the fact that it gets kids (and their parents, haha) moving is a huge plus.

I just have a little personal rant for their company though, and how they have marketed the Wii, it has been out for years and they are still hard to find...really silly IMO esp. since new generations come out about every 3 years.

We have an XBox and a Wii and we love the Wii, hands down. Lots of games available for all ages, and the whole family has fun wit it. Even if it wears out in 3 years (hope not), it'll have been worth the money.

I also like that many of the games available are those that make you get up and get moving to play them.

Wii doesn't actually 'wear out'. You just have to be cognizant to not allow it to overheat. Use the stand it comes with in order to allow the internal fan to cool the system. We had to send ours in when this happened. (Warranty, quick return)

We have several systems (Wii, Game Cube, PS3) and the most used is the PS3 b/c of picture quality. It is superb. However the game selection for the Wii is superior. There are many more children's games and family participation games. It depends on which you value more. Graphics or game choice.

I highly recommend the Wii. That was our entire Christmas last year, and we love it. The whole family gets involved when we do sports and such. My 12yos just chimed in and said that Nintendo tends to have the most E (everyone) rated games. And the Wii can also play Gamecube games.

We're anxioulsy awaiting the day we can get WiiFit.

HTH

I would have to say an Xbox 360 hands down if you are buying it for the whole family. We have a Wii too, but really only the kids play it. Everyone plays on the 360. With an Xbox Live account you can play online, download tv shows and movies (cost extra, but about the same as itunes pricewise), play music, network it with other computers and devices, play downloaded movies and tv off a usb thumstick or stream from said networked computers, download trial games and other multimedia content. When the Fall update comes out, probably in November, it will also stream content from Netflix if you have a Netflix account. Not all I listed needs a Live account, I got carried away listing stuff, and some like the Netflix and playing online require a Gold account which is $50/year. The 360 also plays dvds and is surround sound. If you want to play games like Rock band and Guitar Hero the sound quality is much higher than the Wii, which I believe is just stereo. It really is more of a home entertainment system than only a game console.

I sound like a Microsoft ad which is funny since all of our computers are Linux and the only Microsoft product in the house is the xbox and associated games.

I have to read your response to my dh. He will be excited by your glowing review. He will be so happy someone else "gets" it too. We own the Xbox and had gotten off of Netflix for Blockbuster. I have been bugging dh to return to Netflix and when they announced the deal, he came home grinning. We will be returning and can't wait to download movies!