Menu

Okay, talk me into getting an MacBook.

I've been looking at iMacs for months, and finally have the time to make the switch from PC to Mac. My PC has become the Family PC, and I never hardly get a chance to get on anymore because there is always someone else on it.

I'm looking forward to having a Mac -- that's all mine! I'm going to tell the kids it's difficult to use, and I'm not going to teach them to use it, so that they'll leave it alone. I bought a new table to set it on. It will go in the dining/school room, right next to the PC desk.

But, I'm rethinking my choice. I've always hated laptops, mainly trying to type on them. My dh has a very nice Toshiba 17' PC laptop, but I hate it! I'm always pressing down more than one key, or missing the backspace key, or getting my fingernails stuck between keys, or fumbling with the touch-pad. I like full-size keyboards, with positive action keys that click when you work them. I like having a number key-pad.

BUT, I'm liking the thought of taking my computer into my room, and sitting on my big chair, and surfing to my heart's content, away from "HEY, MOM! and away from TV, and away from everything. I'm looking at MacBooks, and I'm liking what I see, especially with the MacBookPro. But, it would cost nearly twice the 20' iMac I was going to get.

So, is having a laptop worth the extra expense, considering I don't need to take it anywhere (for work or anything). It would mainly be just for cruising the internet in my big chair in my room. Is the MacBook "full size keyboard" really like a regular keyboard? Is the touchpad better than a PC touchpad?

Also, perhaps it wouldn't be a good thing for me to hide myself away from my family. That, in and of itself, might be a good reason for me to just get the iMac, put it in the common living area, and provide my family access to me while I'm using it.

Opinions, anyone? Thanks.

I haven't used the macbook, so I can't vouch for the keyboard- my mac is a desktop, but I have to put in a vote for anything mac. My pc was crashing all the time- my mac always works. :lol:

I think you will get used to the keyboard, and you will love being able to move around with it. You might even get some free nights out and head to a starbucks or Barnes & Nobles with it.

I am saving up for a macbook, hopefully I will get one next year.

Let us know how you like it, if you get one.

I loved, loved, loved my macbook, until my then 1yo dumped a big cup of coffee into the keyboard. There is no coming back from that type of disaster with a laptop.

Now I have a imac with a 20 inch flat screen and I love it even more than the ibook. It is easier on the eyes and I love the new slimline keyboard. And if the kid dumps anything on the keyboard, I am only out $50-75, not $2000.

I've had my Powerbook for 8 yrs, and now I'm handing it down to the kids and getting a Macbook Pro. (Arriving today, yahoo!) The laptops are more expensive than desktops. I guess it's how important the portability factor is for you. I travel a lot and I work on my computer so I really need the laptop. Otherwise I'd probably be buying a destop mac. I've never had a problem typing-my keys seem to 'click' if that makes sense. I know you can buy a keyboard to go w/your laptop (another expense though).

BTW, if you buy from apple right now you can get a free i-pod product. Use the educator's discount. Or you can get last year's model (?) for a few hundred $$ cheaper than the new ones from macconnection.

I have both a Macbook and iMac. Love them both, not sure I could choose. Oh, I'm no help at all. :confused:

:iagree: I will say that I have gotten used to the Macbook keyboard now and the iMac keyboard seems so big a clunky!:lol:

ETA: Since we already had the iMac desktop, when dh got me the Macbook for Christmas, he got the smaller one. I didn't need power on the Macbook, just portability and convenience.

BTW, if you buy from apple right now you can get a free i-pod product. Use the educator's discount. Or you can get last year's model (?) for a few hundred $$ cheaper than the new ones from macconnection.

:iagree: You might also want to look at the 24 inch iMac...these are stunning!!!

Bill

I made the switch from a desktop Mac to a MacBook Pro about three years ago. Laptop+Wireless internet=Bliss. I've always been one fond of "screen real-estate" (worked in publishing) so I was reluctant, but this has been a win for me.

If we go somewhere and stay at a hotel, I can take my laptop. I can go to any room in the house and *shut the door!* I can take the laptop with me to a room where I have books spread across the floor or bed and record thoughts during research or look up something on the net. I'm not much of a one to take my laptop to Starbucks, but some people like to do that.

I wouldn't go back to a desktop machine if you paid me. Really. And I was a die-hard desktop fan and a late adapter for laptops.

I have a macbook and I really like it. The touchpad is cool because its multi-touch and has scrolling so you don't have to mouse over to the scroll pad, you just take 2 fingers and swipe them up/down/L/R to scroll.

There is not much of a downside except I feel like I'm on the computer more because I always have access to it. I almost think an iMac would be better for me. I probably use the computer 2 more hours a day than I would a computer in the office and that's not always a good thing!

I have a macbook and I really like it. The touchpad is cool because its multi-touch and has scrolling so you don't have to mouse over to the scroll pad, you just take 2 fingers and swipe them up/down/L/R to scroll.

There is not much of a downside except I feel like I'm on the computer more because I always have access to it. I almost think an iMac would be better for me. I probably use the computer 2 more hours a day than I would a computer in the office and that's not always a good thing!

ITA. I've hated every new keyboard I've ever had (including the Macbook one I'm currently typing on!) until I've gotten used to it. I think any new tactile thing will take a few days of acclimation. And I like a good, clickety keyboard myself :lol: The Macbook one does well enough.

That said, I agree with JIP. If I didn't need mine to do my work while also managing the kids, I'd be better off with a desktop, because I spend WAY more time online than I should now. If you think that might be a problem for you, then go with the desktop and save the money.

Enjoy your new Mac, whatever you decide!

I'm supposed to type several hundred pages on this blessed thing, so, yeah, I paid attention to the keyboard.

My MacBook keyboard, in fact, is better than my dh's PowerBook keyboard. There's just a wee bit of space in between each key, enough so that I'm not constantly double-striking and my hands are in a comfortable position. It's not as comfortable as one of those ergonomic keyboards, but it's better than most laptops and it's as good as a regular Mac keyboard.

I do use an external mouse. It's more comfortable and hand-friendly than the touchpad.

And if you get the black one, it just looks really, really sexy. :D

I have a Macbook. I LOVE it. We have a small house so I have not wanted to get a desktop. Although, if we did, it would be a Mac. We love being able to take our computer with us whenever we go out of town. I would love to get one just for me, but I spent too much on books this year. :001_smile:As far as your kids not figuring out how to use a MAC, good luck with that one:lol: Seriously, my kids love recording on GarageBand. They have also made several movies. A while back someone posted about Apple MovieMaking Curriculum that was free to download. My ds (11) wants to learn how to make movies. I downloaded it but have not had a chance to look at it. Let us know what you decide.

Well I don't have a Mac, but I love having a laptop. The portability is wonderful. I had to get used to the smaller keyboard, but it's no problem now.

If you are getting a Mac, make sure to use your educator discount to get a free ipod touch. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/campaigns/back_to_school?mco=Njk1OTY

Not to mention the rebate on a printer. I got my Macbook, iPod Touch and HP all in one printer two weeks ago. I got the educator's discount on the Mac and Apple Care, as well as the rebate on the iPod and printer. A great deal!

I know the concern with the new keyboard; it didn't take me long to adjust to the laptop keyboard and now I like it a lot.

Our family has three macs, and two have completely stopped working... so much so that hours and hours of valuable data (which we should have backed up :glare:) was lost forever. The third mac is flaky. That's not a good record.

The mac I am currently typing on is a replacement that I got from Mac's very, very good extended warranty program. Please, please, please don't get a Mac without getting a very reliable system to back up your data and a resolve to actually back your stuff up. And don't get a Mac without the extended warranty. These are additional costs that are crucial.

This replacement Mac, a little iBook G4, has been very reliable. When it dies, I will have to think long and hard before I decide to get another Mac. When our kids' Mac died after having it only about 14 months, my dh and I came to the conclusion that what we were paying for was mostly the sleek Mac image rather than quality, which we now feel is really a myth. That really made us mad.

Our family has three macs, and two have completely stopped working... so much so that hours and hours of valuable data (which we should have backed up :glare:) was lost forever. The third mac is flaky. That's not a good record.

The mac I am currently typing on is a replacement that I got from Mac's very, very good extended warranty program. Please, please, please don't get a Mac without getting a very reliable system to back up your data and a resolve to actually back your stuff up. And don't get a Mac without the extended warranty. These are additional costs that are crucial.

This replacement Mac, a little iBook G4, has been very reliable. When it dies, I will have to think long and hard before I decide to get another Mac. When our kids' Mac died after having it only about 14 months, my dh and I came to the conclusion that what we were paying for was mostly the sleek Mac image rather than quality, which we now feel is really a myth. That really made us mad.

Wow!!! I have never heard anyone else ever say that. I worked for nearly 10 years on the same three Macs at my office, and owned a virtually indestructible iBook that lasted 8 years, and was only finally done in by a (third) cup of water to the keyboard. It actually still works! But the keyboard is fried beyond use, and it was so outdated that I upgraded. This current Mac has been dropped more times than I can count and is still going strong. I can't believe you've had such a run of bad luck!

Then again, I've been saying that exact same thing about Dell for years, in spite of their claims of excellent products and customer service (with which I've never, ever had a good experience) :glare: Everyone's always so shocked.

Wow, that's not good! I'm surprised--my family has used Apples and then Macs for many years w/o problems. The one I'm using now is 8 yrs old.

I'd be sure to back-up and use a surge protector w/any computer. (I learned about the surge protector the hard way)

Well, I got my Mac!

I talked to my dh about my desire to sit in my chair with a laptop, and he said, "Well, if that's all you want it for, why don't you just use mine?"

Well, I haven't even thought of that! I suppose I could. :)

Anyway, I decided to go back to my original choice, and I got the 20 inch iMac desktop. With the Back-to-School promotion, I got a free iPod Touch. With the teacher discount, and the free printer, I saved over $600! I'm a happy camper! Of course, by the time I bought all the extras I wanted (some of which, I actually needed), I spent as much as I would have on just the MacBook, but I'm happy.

Now, I just need to get used to the very different feel of the keyboard and mouse, and the very different commands and icons and names for everything! Whew! I think it will take me the rest of the summer just to learn how to use everything!

Anyway, thank you all for your input. I might still get that MacBook someday. Dh was at meetings all week, and sat next to a guy who had a Pro. Dh was very impressed, and wouldn't have objected if I'd wanted one. I just couldn't justify the extra cost for my current needs. Maybe next year. . . :)

No macbook here, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE my mini mac.

I LOVE IT!

It's small, quiet, and mac is a wonderful os. I dislike windows tremendously now--dh laughs at me every time I make a sour face over my old (windows xp) laptop.

BTW, did I tell you I love my mac??

:001_smile:

Susan

I have a Macbook. I love the weight of it, being able to take it anywhere in the house or to the library or even while waiting for the kids at their activities. When I'm at my desk, I plug it into a 20" monitor and external keyboard/mouse, so I get the best of both the portability and big screen worlds.

One thing I'm absolutely obsessive about is backups. Because it gets carried everywhere with me, there's an increased likelihood of dropping my Macbook, and because everything from my calendar to lesson plans to my novel is on it, such an event would have serious repercussions. Whenever I'm home, my Mac automatically backs itself up using Apple's Time Machine/Time Capsule. Worst-case scenario, I'd restore my backup onto DH's Macbook while mine was in the shop or being replaced, and he'd make do on his work laptop or old desktop machine.

Kimber

Mom to 12yo boy/girl twins