Menu

I'm going to start a fundraiser.

No, really.

Everybody and their brother can send me an email to "sponsor" their child at school on Facebook. Really? Facebook? :glare: Every little elementary aged family member can ask me to purchase something for their school. :glare: Random neighbor children can stop and ask for fundraising purchases and/or donations and/or sponsorships. :glare:

We pay taxes. We get none of the money or the benefit. No one buys my books or purchases computers. No one contributes in any way to my school. As a matter of fact, thanks to taxes, I contribute to the other schools, just get nothing back.

I have to tell you, THIS school year, I'm feeling frustrated. Earlier, we contributed to everyone. Then we started saying nicely, "No." Honestly? I'm feeling ornery. I want to do my own fundraiser.

I want to be nice about it, I really do. I feel a little like a spitefull old goat, frankly.

I have long, long, long been against participating in the public school charter systems (HASAP program in Iowa) but I'm rethinking it. I really am.

Purchasing curriculum for six kids this year is killing me, one in high school, another who would like karate, and another who would like to do, well, everything.

Piano, violin, and I hear someone wants guitar... Sigh.

I can't help but resent every dollar that goes to fund public music lessons, foreign language classes, internet services for the schools, textbooks, and school supplies.

I'm feeling frustrated this morning and I am about one inch from calling a local charter school and signing up 1-2 kids and seeing how it goes.

Frustrated. So. Frustrated.

And then I got two emails asking me to sponsor someone's public school... The same schools that get $10K per CHILD from the government system.

Do you know what I could do with $10K per child? For just one year?

Oh. My. Goodness.

I admit it. I'm feeling jealous and annoyed this morning.

I don't know Kelly, perhaps you could just take the fundraiser paper, hand them yours (one for each of your kids) and then mull it over asking them what they'd like from your fundraiser :)) I have a very nice spot to fundraise from that has excellent products!! :) I think you'd end up winning.

As far as charter, I know you're joking (right??) but Paisley or one like that is what you'd want. $$$ for your neutral material with basically only calls. ($500 per school age child, but not for HS, that would have to be something else... and they pay for lessons, too... )

And... I know the principal :) There is one other like that here. Can't remember the name.

And then I got two emails asking me to sponsor someone's public school... The same schools that get $10K per CHILD from the government system.

Do you know what I could do with $10K per child? For just one year?

Remember that those are averages. Some students cost significantly more, due to special needs (may need an assistant assigned to just them), bringing up the average cost per student.

As far as charter, I know you're joking (right??) but Paisley or one like that is what you'd want. $$$ for your neutral material with basically only calls. ($500 per school age child, but not for HS, that would have to be something else... and they pay for lessons, too... )

And... I know the principal :) There is one other like that here. Can't remember the name.

I think I'm joking. I'm so ANTI-charter school it's not even funny. But I admit I am sitting here, frustrated. I was on Paisley's site this morning, lol. I was clicking about thinking, "Just compromise. You'll have to eventually. Might as well benefit while you can."

I'm sorry. I'm not usually so cynical. This morning has me all in a fluster... Promises to be a good day, lol.

I'd love to talk Ana into doing the dual enrollment thing, but I'm not sure she'd ever compromise. I see less of an issue with that.

Christian would revolt. We're doing three separate writing programs this year and I would be forced to do the charter school's writing program but I'm unwilling to give up anything I'm using with him as I'm not sacrificing his writing ability to make my life easier, so I think it would only complicate things.

Elizabeth would NOT thrive in a school at home atmosphere. Um, no.

Rebecca (3rd) and Abigail ( WOULD LOVE IT. The more school, the better. They'd love, love, love, love this.

And I would never have my Tim in a program. He'd be crushed.

But, me juggling all of this would be insane. Right now I have four distinct groups - Ana, Christian, the middle girls, and Tim, Abigail, & Sarah as my K-1s.

But could you imagine? Let's see shall we? Six kids. I'll give up my $10K public school allotment and just settle for the $500. It would be $3,000. It wouldn't pay for all the music lessons, karate, internet, etc... But it would be a nice start.

Jaded.

Remember that those are averages. Some students cost significantly more, due to special needs (may need an assistant assigned to just them), bringing up the average cost per student.

LOL, so you mean I could get like $15K for my child with special needs? Or that I could only get like $5-$7K for my non-special needs children? It's okay, I could somehow find it within me to settle with just $50,000 this year. I'm not sure you just helped me feel better, lol.

I understand the frustration. I really, truly do.

But then I remember that the kids in public schools today will be adults alongside my own kids. My son and daughter will work with, socialize with and likely marry adults who are products of public schools. When I'm old, those adults will be in charge of my country.

So, it really is in my best interests to support those schools. Are they perfect, great or even consistently good? Nah, but that's where those future adults are being educated. It's the best they've got.

It doesn't even have to be school related. I had a kid stop by last week selling a basket full of stuff, saying he was raising money to build a goat nursery. :001_huh:

Erica in OR

If it's his stuff that he's selling then I don't see a problem with that. It's the same as having a yard sale or selling crafts online, at a booth, or selling food that one has grown, or selling eggs from your chicken, and so forth.

He's not asking for a donation in which you would just hand him money.

If it's his stuff that he's selling then I don't see a problem with that. It's the same as having a yard sale or selling crafts online, at a booth, or selling food that one has grown, or selling eggs from your chicken, and so forth.

He's not asking for a donation in which you would just hand him money.

It wasn't his stuff like handmade crafts or produce or even his own cast-offs, just candles in jars and a few other things like you'd get at the Dollar Store. He was still trying to sell us something door-to-door, which we don't support. I've just never encountered anything like that, where it wasn't connected with an actual program or company, so was surprised when he gave his pitch. We wished him well with his project, but it was still a "No, thanks."

Erica in OR

It wasn't his stuff like handmade crafts or produce or even his own cast-offs, just candles in jars and a few other things like you'd get at the Dollar Store. He was still trying to sell us something door-to-door, which we don't support. I've just never encountered anything like that, where it wasn't connected with an actual program or company, so was surprised when he gave his pitch. We wished him well with his project, but it was still a "No, thanks."

Erica in OR

Ah, I don't like door-to-door selling.

I called the local school district and told them to stop pedaling their crap at my house. I then reminded them that there used to be a work ethic in this country. Instead of kids asking for handouts, they worked for what they wanted. If the school band wants to take an end of year trip to Cedar Point, then they can EARN that trip. I told them they could send two or three children with good attitudes to my house and I would pay them to weed some flower beds, rake, and spread some grass seed.

This was greeted with swearing! I kid you not. I was told with choice language that it was immoral to ask children to work for what they wanted. Adults are supposed to give it to them!

I told them that if their attitude was that lazy is a desirable character trait (seriously, high schoolers can't be prevailed upon to do yardwork to help pay for their own fun-fun trip???? :001_huh:), then they better put the word out to keep the pandhandling off my property.

Yes, I was in a foul mood. That was last March. No one has been back which makes me think I went on the "don't go to that whackadoodle's house" list. :D I'm okay with that.

It gets sooooooooooooooooooo old.

My parents made the same offer to a local private school that was doing the same thing. The adminstrator said he would ask around and see if any of the 50 students going on the trip were willing to work. One...just one. But, they showed up at the house and my dad put the young lady to work helping him get his big garden patch ready for compost and planting. She did a good job and dad wanted her to have a good report to brag to the school about...maybe hoping to spark the concept of working for what you want. So, he gave her $50.00. I doubt the work was worth more than $25.00, but I think he did the right thing. She really did work hard and the donation was big enough to put her over the top so she could go. I'm sure it made and impression on her and maybe, just maybe, it made an impression on her administrator so he can encourage this line of thought in the others.

Our rocket team does advertise for corporate sponsorship, but in exchange the business really does get a benefit. We do advertising on their behalf in the community. They get a picture of the team, a certificate for their business, and their name in three local newspapers. At the spaghetti dinner, the teams helps with cooking and clean-up and give a presentation. It's donation only. So, I don't feel so bad about them asking for help because they aren't pedaling junk or asking for something without any benefit at all. The kids also do yardwork, stack wood, tutor, hold yard sales and sell personal items, etc. whatever they can physically do that is work related in order to get themselves to Finals.

There is not a month that the school district doesn't have kids on the street trying to sell trinkets. It's very disturbing.

Faith

Yes, perhaps the school should have them selling on the street corners with Cardboard Box lids that say, "Will sell junk for a trip to Washington DC" :) I remember having students work for $$$; I'm not sure why it's "not allowed"... Maybe because of Insurance? With liability the way it is, I'd almost rather throw $5.00 their way and be done with it. :( (Off to write the checks for Bunco tickets. I'm not willing to ask others to come play Bunco and pay per ticket...)

I understand the frustration. I really, truly do.

But then I remember that the kids in public schools today will be adults alongside my own kids. My son and daughter will work with, socialize with and likely marry adults who are products of public schools. When I'm old, those adults will be in charge of my country.

So, it really is in my best interests to support those schools. Are they perfect, great or even consistently good? Nah, but that's where those future adults are being educated. It's the best they've got.

Goodness! *I* am a product of those schools. ;)

That said, they aren't good with money. They simply aren't. You know what I really want? I want a voucher system. Give each parent THEIR money to place their children where they feel they'd most benefit. Poor schools would go under. Good schools would flourish. And no one would be able to overspend. And the, ideally, great teachers would be paid a premium, which they WELL deserve.

You know what I really want? I want a voucher system. Give each parent THEIR money to place their children where they feel they'd most benefit. Poor schools would go under. Good schools would flourish. And no one would be able to overspend. And the, ideally, great teachers would be paid a premium, which they WELL deserve.

And some neighborhoods, where it might be difficult to raise test scores or other evaluation methods high enough to make a school look attractive, might end up with no schools at all.

I don't disagree entirely about the whole voucher thing. I just think it's not as simple as folks like to make it sound.

And some neighborhoods, where it might be difficult to raise test scores or other evaluation methods high enough to make a school look attractive, might end up with no schools at all.

I don't disagree entirely about the whole voucher thing. I just think it's not as simple as folks like to make it sound.

Yeah... I know. I admit that too. In *MY* world it looks really nice though. :D I'm done with my jealous rage/panic attack. I can go back to being my normal, fairly satisfied, little homeschoolin' mama now. This morning... Well, I spent part of the morning looking at online schools, part the of the morning considering putting my 7yo in public school, and part of the morning just frustrated at my own lack of funding for various projects and wishlists, lol.

Someone play me the violin and offer me cheese, wouldja?

Whine, whine, whine. It's over now. ;)