Menu

Tortilla Press

cin

So, I want to make tortillas for our family. We eat them by the dozen, and the ones we buy are so full of carp and words we cannot pronounce. In addition, I can make them for pennies, if I had a press.

What kind of press do I want? None jump out as superb on Amazon. I'd really like to find one made in Mexico, as I think those would probably be pretty darn good.

I make my own corn tortillas--a little ball of the dough, put between two circles cut out of a plastic grocery bag (to prevent sticking), topped by a cutting board. Then you lean hard on the cutting board, and PRESTO! perfectly round corn tortillas every time.

Less polished than a real press, but it's a ton more fun, and the kids can help. Or do it completely, once they're strong enough. :D

ETA: I keep the plastic circles in a drawer and reuse them forever.

ETA II: I'd rather spend money on a proper comal than a press. That way you can get it as hot as it needs to be and you never have to share it with other food.

Edited by Classical Country Mama

I got a press at an Indian market (they make great chapati), and the lady working there told me to get the ugliest, heaviest metal press I could find. She said the clunkier, the better.

And I'd agree that waxed paper or parchment (some like plastic wrap, but my one attempt at using it ended in disaster) is a necessity.

The ones we use here in Mexico look like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Imusa-VICTORIA-85008-Victoria-Tortilla-8-Inch/dp/B00164T384/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347416837&sr=8-1&keywords=tortilla+press

Accept, they are usually aluminum. I think cast iron would be better. Some people use wood ones, but they aren't that great. The price for this one isn't too bad either, but not sure what shipping is.

Danielle

ETA: Free shipping!

http://www.amazon.com/Imusa-VICTORIA-85008-Victoria-Tortilla-8-Inch/dp/B00164T384/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347416837&sr=8-1&keywords=tortilla+press

Accept, they are usually aluminum. I think cast iron would be better. Some people use wood ones, but they aren't that great. The price for this one isn't too bad either, but not sure what shipping is.

Danielle

This is the one I have (although mine is sliver not black but definitely cast iron). I know everyone says presses are for corn tortillas but I use mine for flour anyways. My crew goes through so many I would never get to eat if I had to roll them out by hand. They are thicker with the press than rolling by hand but not that thick and the extra hasn't given us any problems with rolling/bender the final product. I do cover the top and bottom pieces with saran wrap before I press them so that nothing sticks to the press itself.

Danielle

I use that one for flour tortillas, and they are indeed yummy, but I still roll them out after they come out of the press. Even then, they are not nearly as thin as store-bought. I figure there has to be a better way--maybe a pasta roller? I have never rolled pasta, though, so I don't have any idea whether that would be an option. I also would like an option for a bigger tortilla, but I could not find a press bigger than that 8"er, which really does not make an 8" tortilla (not in my kitchen anyway!).

Homemade flour tortillas are really a far cry from store-bought, but they do take some time.

Terri

Thank You for the feedback! I was thinking about rolling the flour tortillas last night, and while I could do it, I thought that if I got the press, the CHILDREN could make the tortillas. ;) One press, One cook.

Corn tortillas are definitely not out of the picture either, I just haven't found a recipe yet. I would love to find some Non-GMO cornmeal.

I think I will look up some ethnic grocery stores in the area and see what they have as far as presses.

Danielle

This cast-iron Victoria is what we use. It is the bomb!

The heft of cast-iron make the job a chinch vs aluminum versions. The one difference between ours an the one on Amazon is the tinning on ours looks like "tin," where these others have a darkened formula.

Bill

For all of you worried about the thickness, fresh handmade tortillas are supposed to be thicker than the store bought. There are plenty of flour tortilleras in Northern Mexico, and when you go in to them you can see the machines that flatten them thin. At restaurants, where they are made fresh, they are just a bit thicker.

Danielle

For all of you worried about the thickness, fresh handmade tortillas are supposed to be thicker than the store bought. There are plenty of flour tortilleras in Northern Mexico, and when you go in to them you can see the machines that flatten them thin. At restaurants, where they are made fresh, they are just a bit thicker.

Danielle

Do you ever see ladies slapping out tortillas (maize/corn) by hand anymore?

I remember restaurants here in Los Angeles that employed women to make tortillas fresh by hand growing up, and also seeing them made that way in the homes of Mexican class-mates.

I tried any number of times to pat out tortillas myself, but never got close to good results.

Bill

Hey Bill... Do you have a link for your tortilla press??

If you look at "image" results in a Goggle search you will see tinned Victoria tortilla presses that look tinned (silver-colored). But—other than vintage models on Ebay—the new "tinned" ones all look dark gray. So they must have changed their tin formula. I don't know why, or if that is a good thing, or a bad thing.

One thing I had not realized (or had forgotten—after all it is stamped in huge letters) is that the press is made in Columbia, not Mexico. In any case they are a quality tortilla press.

Bill

ETA: here is a link to a silver-colored tin version so you can see. Of you try to "buy" this one the link takes you to a charcoal-colored version. There are aluminum ones that are spray-pained silver (not tinned) to resemble the authentic iron tinned presses, but they are not quality items.

Edited by Spy Car