Menu

AMC---as a homeschooler at a school?

I know I've read somewhere that the AMC folks will assign a homeschooled student his/her own identifying number if taking the exam at a school--------right? I'm going nuts trying to find that info on their website.

I've found three private schools within 10 miles that will be giving the AMC 8 this year, thanks to that new handy "look up" feature on the website. One of the schools is very numbers focused. Very :rolleyes: I want to reassure the math department that an unknown girl will not dilute their team score (though she's been taking old 8 tests as practice and scoring at or above their past averages, hehe :D)

Thanks. If I can't find a school to take her by the end of next week, I'll be going the proctor/exam ordering route.

:tongue_smilie:

When you register for the exam, you can use the name of your own homeschool as "school." You give your own email address. Then you'd use the private school's address and a teacher's/principal's name in the spot for "proctor." That way you get your own ID number (which you'll keep as long as you keep doing these exams; we've had the same number for years) and the results go directly to you. The exams themselves get mailed to the private school so you never have to touch them.

When you register for the exam, you can use the name of your own homeschool as "school." You give your own email address. Then you'd use the private school's address and a teacher's/principal's name in the spot for "proctor." That way you get your own ID number (which you'll keep as long as you keep doing these exams; we've had the same number for years) and the results go directly to you. The exams themselves get mailed to the private school so you never have to touch them.

Thanks! Now to hear from a school...

Exactly this.:) Your daughter's results will belong to your homeschool, not the school where she takes the exam. Her score is not a part of their team score.

The proctor at the school should receive the AMC 8 packet with your daughter's testing materials.

This packet includes her test, answer sheet, School ID form, mailing envelope, and teacher's manual. Your new homeschool code will be written on the outside of the mailing envelope.

In the teacher's manual (here's a copy from 2011; the 2012 manual will be on the AMC website soon) you'll find the Certification Form, which both you and the proctor fill out on test day. This form allows the AMC staff to recognize that your daughter was a guest at the school, and that they proctored her & followed all of the rules.

Your daughter's answer sheet, certification form, and School ID form all must be returned to AMC headquarters in that mailing envelope.

Good luck!!

If the schools are being stroppy, you can also use a library with a librarian as proctor. We've used the testing center at our community college; it cost a bit, as they charge for the time, but it also included a lovely, private room with a big desk. This is especially nice as the later tests get longer.

Also, if you know a schoolteacher who would be willing to proctor, he or she could do that even if nobody from that school is taking the exam. The AMC8 doesn't take a lot of time, so it isn't a huge imposition (especially if you sweeten the deal with chocolate chip muffins).

Good luck!

• Like 1

Boy, I'd be scared they would mess it up. She can't have her test under their number, and I'm not sure I'd trust them to do it correctly.

We did it independently last year, but this year dc will take it at their math study center. No schools for us. :D

Bite your tongue, angela! No messed up tests!

I heard back from the first-choice school. The math teacher would love to have dd join them. She just has to check with the principal, who was off campus today.

:D

This better work.

:tongue_smilie:

Exactly this.:) Your daughter's results will belong to your homeschool, not the school where she takes the exam. Her score is not a part of their team score.

The proctor at the school should receive the AMC 8 packet with your daughter's testing materials.

This packet includes her test, answer sheet, School ID form, mailing envelope, and teacher's manual. Your new homeschool code will be written on the outside of the mailing envelope.

In the teacher's manual (here's a copy from 2011; the 2012 manual will be on the AMC website soon) you'll find the Certification Form, which both you and the proctor fill out on test day. This form allows the AMC staff to recognize that your daughter was a guest at the school, and that they proctored her & followed all of the rules.

Your daughter's answer sheet, certification form, and School ID form all must be returned to AMC headquarters in that mailing envelope.

Good luck!!

So I register dd on the MAA/AMC site? Does that mean I am essentially buying a bundle of 10 tests? In that case, it might be better if I can find some other homeschoolers to share the costs and just get a library room and proctor. Hmmm.

If I go that route instead of at the school, how does the ID number work? Would the kids then all have the same number? Would dd be able to use that number in the future while still homeschooled?

Argh :confused1: It's a good thing I'm working on this now instead of right before the registration deadline!

So I register dd on the MAA/AMC site? Does that mean I am essentially buying a bundle of 10 tests? In that case, it might be better if I can find some other homeschoolers to share the costs and just get a library room and proctor. Hmmm.

If I go that route instead of at the school, how does the ID number work? Would the kids then all have the same number? Would dd be able to use that number in the future while still homeschooled?

OK, so you're asking whether you can register your dd under a homeschool id of your own, but have the school supply the proctor and an extra exam and answer sheet?

I've never been in that situation - we did the levels that cost $$ on our own, and used local schools to proctor for AIME and up, which are free for qualifiers. If I were you, I'd call the AMC office on Monday and ask whether it's OK with them. Maybe they'd be willing to set your homeschool up with an ID # and only charge you for the registration fee and not for the bundle of tests.

If they agree to that (& I can't see why not), I'd advise you to read the Teacher's Manual online and familiarize yourself with the procedures & print out the Certification form. You'd still need to stay on top of the proctor and make sure that your dd's stuff is mailed in separately, with the specific three items that I listed upthread.

Once they assign your school a number (they'll call it a CEEB code, but it's only good for AMC testing), it will be yours forever more.:001_smile: If you host other homeschoolers and take the exam at the library, for instance, all those kids would use your school code. Even though my kids are past high school now, I occasionally still proctor AMC exams for homeschoolers. When I do that, I still use the number that they assigned my homeschool back in 2000.

Argh It's a good thing I'm working on this now instead of right before the registration deadline!

For sure! The first year we participated, when my ds was an eighth grader, I didn't become aware that the AMC 8 was open to homeschoolers till a few days before the deadline. You're already doing much, much better than me.:D

Sorry, still trying to figure this out. Could someone kindly walk me through the process?

So, if I want to order the AMC8 for one child...

1. I register him at the website, pay $35

2. Do I pay for the bundle of 10 that a pp mentioned? So it's $140?

3. I provide the proctor's address? I'm thinking of doing it in our library vs a private school or ps

4. Kiddo practices a bit (he already does so much math, I'm wondering if he would need dedicated practice?)

5. We get a code number, test is mailed to the proctor? (I'm wondering if it's similar to the Explore where I registered privately and the test packet was mailed to my chosen proctor)

5. We go to the test center on that day (it's Tuesday, Nov 13 this year) and he takes the test.

6. I complete the Certification Form

7. Proctor mails the test back to AMC? Or can I ask them to seal the envelope and allow me to mail it (just in case proctor is not reliable?)

Thank you!

ETA: Hope I'm not hijacking. Wanted to start a new post but this turned up in the archives.

Sorry, still trying to figure this out. Could someone kindly walk me through the process?

So, if I want to order the AMC8 for one child...

1. I register him at the website, pay $35

I've had trouble using the web registration; paper worked better for me. But if you do it by the deadline, you're right about the cost.

2. Do I pay for the bundle of 10 that a pp mentioned? So it's $140?

$14. That's per bundle, not per test.

3. I provide the proctor's address? I'm thinking of doing it in our library vs a private school or ps

Yep. Once you've made an appointment with the proctor, have the test sent to the school or library (not a home address)

4. Kiddo practices a bit (he already does so much math, I'm wondering if he would need dedicated practice?)

Looking at some old AMC8s wouldn't hurt. :)

5. We get a code number, test is mailed to the proctor? (I'm wondering if it's similar to the Explore where I registered privately and the test packet was mailed to my chosen proctor)

Right.

5. We go to the test center on that day (it's Tuesday, Nov 13 this year) and he takes the test.

Right.

6. I complete the Certification Form

Right. The proctor signs it, and you fill out the rest as school manager.

7. Proctor mails the test back to AMC? Or can I ask them to seal the envelope and allow me to mail it (just in case proctor is not reliable?)

Proctor mails the test. It's just a few pages (and you'll be given the envelope), so you can give the proctors a few dollars for postage.

Thank you!

ETA: Hope I'm not hijacking. Wanted to start a new post but this turned up in the archives.

Hope that helps! :)

Just a few more notes :):

1. I register him at the website, pay $35 Homeschoolers cannot register online. You must print a paper copy of the reg form & mail or fax it in. Be sure to include your proctoring arrangements.

3. I provide the proctor's address? I'm thinking of doing it in our library vs a private school or ps If your library won't accept the test packet ( ask 1st - ours won't here), then you can have it mailed directly to your proctor's home address. Just make of note of the situation on your registration form.

4. Kiddo practices a bit (he already does so much math, I'm wondering if he would need dedicated practice?) If you decide to practice (we had our best result the year we did NO practice :tongue_smilie:), there are lots of free practice exams on AoPS

5. We get a code number, test is mailed to the proctor? (I'm wondering if it's similar to the Explore where I registered privately and the test packet was mailed to my chosen proctor) The code will be written on the outside of your return mailing envelope, which will be in the test packet.

6. I complete the Certification Form and the School ID form, also in the test packet (bring your pencil and pen!) You can read the Teacher's Manual online (it's not up yet, but here's last year's TM) to familiarize yourself with the details. I usually grab the forms from the proctor before the testing starts, and I fill out my part while the kids are in the test.

Remember to bring a timer or stopwatch on test day, along with pencils and erasers. Blank scratch paper, graph paper, ruler, compass, & protactor are also allowed, but no calculators. Kiddo can mark his answers in the test booklet if he wishes, and he can take the booklet home with him. Saves a bit of agonizing over "what did I put for #20?" after the answers go up online. It takes a few weeks before they email you with the official score.

Kiddo can mark his answers in the test booklet if he wishes, and he can take the booklet home with him. Saves a bit of agonizing over "what did I put for #20?" after the answers go up online. It takes a few weeks before they email you with the official score.

Heh. I wish my kid would be willing to do that. He refuses to post-mortem exams. He tries to establish a media (in this case, media = AoPS) blackout for a few days after the tests, but he'll inevitably get a PM saying something like, "I hated doing all that coordinate bashing on number 4." I know this because I hear the moans all the way across the house.

Gird your loins for some stressful springtimes, Quark!

or any other math competitions. I have read about the difficulties associated with trying to take the AMC and so I never pursued this for ds who is currently in 9th grade.

Is participation in Math competitions essential if ds is considering Engineering?

OP, sorry for the hijack.

Thanks in advance.

Apologies to the Grammar Police for the title of this thread :-)

Edited by TeaTotaler
added comment

Yes, he can take AMC10 or AMC12 regardless of whether he has done AMC8 before. They provide two testing dates. AMC 10A/12A are on the same date same time, and 10B/12B are on another. He can choose to take one test on either date, or he can choose to do 10A/10B, 10A/12B or 12A/10B on both dates. Note that he cannot take 10A/12A since they are on the same date and some problems overlap. Same for 10B/12B.

HTH

Thanks. I will talk with ds and see if he is interested.

or any other math competitions. I have read about the difficulties associated with trying to take the AMC and so I never pursued this for ds who is currently in 9th grade.

Is participation in Math competitions essential if ds is considering Engineering?

OP, sorry for the hijack.

Thanks in advance.

Apologies to the Grammar Police for the title of this thread :-)

If your son doesn't care for timed exams, he might prefer USAMTS. That's a competition with three sets of proof-based questions allowing several weeks to work each problem set.

From what I have read, it would not be essential, but some of the top engineering schools do ask for a student's AMC/AIME scores.

Funny you should mention that. I was just yesterday looking at the Caltech application, and I noticed the spot specifically for AIME scores.

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck!!

Here is the 2012 Teacher Manual

Thank you very much Sebastian!

This is the first time we're doing this and he did a practice paper the other day. He couldn't finish on time although he seemed to know how to answer all the qns when we had a post-test discussion. Is not finishing normal for a younger student? :tongue_smilie:

Totally normal. Normal for almost everybody, in fact, younger or not. Knowing how to do the last few problems, even if he ran out of time, is a very good sign.

Definitely normal. I think last year I told my kids that I'd be thrilled if they got 10 right. They did better than I expected, but I do need to remember that the test is supposed to be hard.

FWIW, one piece of advice I've given my youngest is that if it seems like he needs to do a dozen calculations (or a hundred) in order to figure something out, he's probably missing something conceptually. For example, one question from last year was "How many prime numbers have the sum of 10,001?" We messed around with this for an inordanate amout of time before I realized that it had to be an odd plus an even number and the only even prime was 2. 2 + 9,999 = 10,001 but 9,999 wasn't prime, so the answer could only be that there were no primes that added up to 10,001.

Definitely normal. I think last year I told my kids that I'd be thrilled if they got 10 right. They did better than I expected, but I do need to remember that the test is supposed to be hard.

FWIW, one piece of advice I've given my youngest is that if it seems like he needs to do a dozen calculations (or a hundred) in order to figure something out, he's probably missing something conceptually. For example, one question from last year was "How many prime numbers have the sum of 10,001?" We messed around with this for an inordanate amout of time before I realized that it had to be an odd plus an even number and the only even prime was 2. 2 + 9,999 = 10,001 but 9,999 wasn't prime, so the answer could only be that there were no primes that added up to 10,001.

I agree with that advice. Another suggestion: AMC tests (and Mathcounts, for that matter) love problems using the current year. So play around with the number 2012 for the AMC8, 2013 for the 10/12/AIME. If nothing else, memorize its factors.

Here's the score report for the 2011 AMC 8. You can play around with it and get reports for any specific state or the entire nation, lists of top award winners, reports broken down by gender, reports of young contestants who did very well ("achievement roll"), etc. But I think that the graph on the front page says it all - it's a test designed to give even the smartest math kid an all-out challenge.:)

• 1 month later...

For those taking AMC8 this year, hope prep is going well.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread for a quick question.

So DS continued to have issues with the time when practicing with some of the old tests. He has done about 6 or 7 practice tests so far and we figured out something interesting. If he starts at #1 and goes in order, he manages to complete 15 or 16 questions out of the 25. When he flips the order (starts a practice test at #25 instead of #1), he manages to consistently answer 22 or 23 questions. His average score is higher too. Has anyone else noticed this with their DC? Do you think it's ok to suggest that he flips the order on test day? He doesn't get confused with the bubble sheet and is very careful about that.

I made blank bubble sheets here to print for practice.

I made blank bubble sheets here to print for practice.

quark, There are past years' blank forms on AMC's website under Archive. For example:

http://amc.maa.org/amc8/2010/AMC8-AnsForm.pdf

As for your question, we haven't experienced anything similar. So hopefully someone else could share their experience. If it were me, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable going backward, since all questions carry the same weight. But again, We've never tried it that way. Does he have the same correct/answered ratio if he starts backward?

Tks for the bubble sheet link, Quark!! I worry about this as DS has had zero experience with bubble sheets, and, well, he can't see straight :tongue_smilie:.

We haven't tried it backwards at all. If your son has higher marks that way and is unlikely to get confused with the bubble sheet sequence, I'd do it in a heart beat. Why not? :001_smile:

So far, DS has had problems making the 40 minute mark. He knows the answers to nearly all the questions (woot!) upon reflection, and strangely, it isn't always the #20s that he stumbles at. But his greatest hurdle will be to finish the test on time. He makes an average of 11 points when it's 40mins. I'm trying to calm him down about this, and I wonder if I made a mistake signing him up this early :(. He's very determined though, which is good to watch. :001_wub:

Edited by Mukmuk

quark, There are past years' blank forms on AMC's website under Archive. For example:

http://amc.maa.org/amc8/2010/AMC8-AnsForm.pdf

As for your question, we haven't experienced anything similar. So hopefully someone else could share their experience. If it were me, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable going backward, since all questions carry the same weight. But again, We've never tried it that way. Does he have the same correct/answered ratio if he starts backward?

Thanks so much for that link T! Very helpful! Yes, he is completely aware that they all carry the same weight but for some reason, he seems to do better when the order is flipped. Depending on the year, he scores from 2 to 7 points higher when the order is reversed.

Sorry, still trying to figure this out. Could someone kindly walk me through the process?15.jpg09ht.jpg09ax.jpg

Leslie508, I know what you mean! I was confused too at first. If you scroll up the thread you'll see that I asked to be walked through the process a few weeks ago and many posters helpfully replied. Please ask again if you need more info!

He's very determined though, which is good to watch. :001_wub:

:001_wub: He's awesome! Please wish him good luck from us! DS has had this same issue with time with almost every math test but he has a great time nevertheless too.

OOh er, tks, tattarrattat! I actually thought that was a link for more practice q's.

Tks Quark!! At this moment, the sudden rush of remembering that he's dyslexic, dysgraphic and has visual processing issues is making me feel weak. :svengo:

All the best to your DS too! :001_wub: He'll be just fabulous!

I personally can't wait for Tuesday to be over! Dd has been so math-focused during the past weeks that I'm looking forward to being more balanced :lol: She's still talking about trying the AMC 10 this winter----she probably would be allowed to at her sister's high school as the math chair really wants dd12 to attend that school.

I have five kids signed up under our brand-spanking-new AMC CEEB code. I hope that they all enjoy the challenge and want to repeat next year (only one of the five is in 8th grade). Anyone in Delaware/eastern MD/SE PA who'd like to join us, drop me a pm!

Good luck to all our test-takers!

I agree that answering the questions in whatever order works best is fine. One year, we had a kid in our math circle say he "saved all the geometry questions for last." He got a 24, so I guess that worked for him. :001_smile:

One thing that we found really useful: huge graph paper. Office stores sell those double-sized pads of graph paper, and they're so good for drawing diagrams (assuming there's desk space). Mr. Rusczyk himself suggested this in one of his boot camp seminars, and we were glad to follow the advice.

Edited by Belacqua

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the score report for the 2011 AMC 8. You can play around with it and get reports for any specific state or the entire nation, lists of top award winners, reports broken down by gender, reports of young contestants who did very well ("achievement roll"), etc. But I think that the graph on the front page says it all - it's a test designed to give even the smartest math kid an all-out challenge. :)

Kathy,

Have you seen the 2012 stats go up yet? I've tried subbing 2012 for 2011 in the above link's address but I get an error.

I got our group's scores last week. We did well. My middle son improved a little bit, and our group's average was right on the national average (not way below it, with was heartening). My youngest got a handful of questions right and enjoyed the test, which was all I was hoping for from a 5th grader.

Here are some preliminary statistics. It says on the website that they're updating nightly.

In the old days, we'd get the scores at this time of the year, but the national and state statistics would be posted in mid to late December.

Sebastian - Congrats on your results! Having a fifth grader even take the exam is one thing, but having one who got several problems right and enjoyed the experience is quite an accomplishment!

ETA: cross-posted with Tattarrattat

Their website posted this, and it's supposed to be updated daily. Choose 2012 AMC8

http://amc-reg.maa.o...ralReports.aspx

Here are some preliminary statistics. It says on the website that they're updating nightly.

In the old days, we'd get the scores at this time of the year, but the national and state statistics would be posted in mid to late December.

Sebastian - Congrats on your results! Having a fifth grader even take the exam is one thing, but having one who got several problems right and enjoyed the experience is quite an accomplishment!

ETA: cross-posted with Tattarrattat

Thank you both. I don't remember seeing this big a variety of score stats last year. I had one student just one right answer away from top 5%. (On the plus side, he improved by two questions over last year.)

So for those of you with years of experience, who would you recommend the AMC 10 for? I've read the guidance on the AMC website, but I'm not sure if I should recommend it to our group or not.

Thank you both. I don't remember seeing this big a variety of score stats last year. I had one student just one right answer away from top 5%. (On the plus side, he improved by two questions over last year.)

So for those of you with years of experience, who would you recommend the AMC 10 for? I've read the guidance on the AMC website, but I'm not sure if I should recommend it to our group or not.

The AMC office only recently began to put up all the extra score statistics online. It used to be that they published the stats & top scores in an annual book. I'm guessing that publishing and mailing costs have driven them to discontinue the paper volume and put more stuff online instead. It's nicer that everyone can access the records now.

For the AMC-10, I would personally just give a practice exam or two to any student who wanted to give it a try, & I'd let them make the call based on the practice results. Some kids love a challenge even it they aren't quite ready to excel at it, while others might only be scared off by trying too soon. One of my kids started the 10 in grade 8 (alg 1 +2 and geom completed), while the other wanted to start in grade 6 (in the alg 1 year, but with a good bit of problem solving experience).

I don't have years of experience :) .Last year (probably this year too), our local AMC proctor used 5% on AMC 8 as guideline to let kids from grade 8 and under participate in AMC 10 that they organized.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I just called AMC and I was told no, homeschoolers can't get any code. So maybe a local school will let us take an exam there, but how on earth do I register? It looks like they would have to register is with their own code. I feel like giving up.

I don't know if I did this wrong, but the college that runs the weekend math circle had us sign up through them.

I never saw a code and I have never been on the AMC website myself.

I hope I didn't screw it up. DS doesn't really want to take the test (but he likes the prep sessions, and taking test was sort of a requirement if you'll attend prep sessions) so I think he'd be thrilled lol.

• Like 1

Are you hoping to register for the AMCs as a homeschool? It looks like they still allow it, even if they aren't assigning CEEB codes to homeschoolers any longer.

Directions for homeschools

Registration Form

Make your proctoring arrangements first according to their rules, and be sure to include them on your reg form. Your proctor will be your exam manager & will receive the testing materials directly from the AMC.

If you do register with a nearby school or authorized math circle, then your results will be included in their code, but it doesn't really matter. They will have to forward the scores to you when they receive them from the AMC. Your child can still report them as his own.

Are you hoping to register for the AMCs as a homeschool? It looks like they still allow it, even if they aren't assigning CEEB codes to homeschoolers any longer.

Directions for homeschools

Registration Form

Make your proctoring arrangements first according to their rules, and be sure to include them on your reg form. Your proctor will be your exam manager & will receive the testing materials directly from the AMC.

If you do register with a nearby school or authorized math circle, then your results will be included in their code, but it doesn't really matter. They will have to forward the scores to you when they receive them from the AMC. Your child can still report them as his own.

Yes, we decided to register the last minute for AMC 8, and I am just lost. I am attempting to find a potential school site (keeping my fingers crossed that they will let us in), but the registration portion has me completely confused. The page you linked is for AMC 10. Edited by Roadrunner

It has been several years since we did an AMC.  My older kids tested once by going through the contact listed as a university offering testing.  It ended up being at a test prep center that was founded by a math professor at the university.  Interesting cross cultural experience.

The next year I organized AMC 8 and AMC 10 at our coop.  I did the registration and had a friend who was not related to any of the kids do the proctoring (she was awesome and had done science lab groups for years out of her house and at coops).

I did have to buy a full bundle of tests, even though we only used 4-6 of them.  When we tested with the university based group, we did not have any kind of separate testing code to use.

I know this is an old thread, but I just called AMC and I was told no, homeschoolers can't get any code. So maybe a local school will let us take an exam there, but how on earth do I register? It looks like they would have to register is with their own code. I feel like giving up.

My kids took at Stanford U last year for AMC8, 10 and 12.   My kids name appears with "STANFORD MATH CIRCLE/STANFORD UNIV" as their school code. I would look at any math circles or tuition centers listed on the AMC location search page.  We have many tuition centers like RSM offering AMC test prep that are hosting for their students but some will take "outsiders" if they can accommodate.

ETA:

daijobu arranged for proctoring at her city's library for the AMC.  I am much nearer to Stanford than her city.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Links for the AMC 8 contest: (if you're registering as a homeschool)

AMC 8 registration form

AMC 8 teacher's manual

If you go with a local school or math circle, then they'll take care of the registration for you.

good luck!

I need a third cup of coffee today. Thank you for the links! But, do you mean if a local school agrees to proctor it for us, they will take care of the registration as well? Or do you mean if we are enrolled in school? I feel like a fog has settled in my brain today. I know I am over complicating things. Edited by Roadrunner