Menu

Generic prescription reaction

Have any of you had a bad reaction to the generic version of a prescription (when you were fine on the original version)? This happened to me last night, but the pharmacist and nurse seem to think it is impossible. They say the generic is the same, so there is no way I could have a bad reaction to the generic. Are they right? All I know is I was feeling terrible about an hour after taking the generic version and I've always been fine before on the original version. Has anyone else experienced this?

There are certain meds my grandmother has to take as "brand name" rather than generic because the coatings are a little different. The active ingredient is the same, but because the coatings are different they can break down in different places (which is fine if you have a fully intact digestive system, but she doesn't).

I'd initially blame the coatings or some inactive ingredient. Maybe one has soy and the other corn or something and you're reacting to the "filler."

There are certain meds my grandmother has to take as "brand name" rather than generic because the coatings are a little different. The active ingredient is the same, but because the coatings are different they can break down in different places (which is fine if you have a fully intact digestive system, but she doesn't).

I'd initially blame the coatings or some inactive ingredient. Maybe one has soy and the other corn or something and you're reacting to the "filler."

This.

Generics have to be "bio-equivalent" to the brand which means the active ingredient reacts the same way in testing. They can be stabilized with different salts, have different coatings and different inactive ingredients. In some cases (Synthroid is one), the generic is actually very different than the brand (and technically doesn't meet the true definition of a generic).

Have any of you had a bad reaction to the generic version of a prescription (when you were fine on the original version)? This happened to me last night, but the pharmacist and nurse seem to think it is impossible. They say the generic is the same, so there is no way I could have a bad reaction to the generic. Are they right? All I know is I was feeling terrible about an hour after taking the generic version and I've always been fine before on the original version. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes...synthroid vs levoxylthyroxine

I have a severe heart problem and my meds changed suppliers/makers. The pill changed size and color. I didn't think anything of it..sure enough, about a week later, I ended up in the hospital and they could NOT figure out what happened. I backtracked and traced it back to when that pill changed..that's when I started having heart problems again. I now have bright stickers on my chart saying NAME BRAND ONLY...but I fight the insurance company/pharmacist every.single.time I get it filled. I'm sick of it. Yes..sure...I want to pay $120 more a MONTH for the name brand just for fun!

Generic medications have the same active ingredients but can have different inert ingredients (fillers, dyes, etc). The inert ingredients can make a very, very small difference in absorption, but most people will never notice.

It is unlikely for people to have a reaction to a generic, but we do see it on occasion. It would be like saying I can have Wonder brand white bread, but am allergic to the grocery store white bread. Or I can drink Coke but am allergic to Pepsi. Possible, yes......but unlikely.

It is FAR more likely that you had a virus or were otherwise sick and it just so happened to coincide with taking the generic.

If it were me I would stay on the generic for a few more days and see if you get better or if something else shows up that tell you it is a cold/flu like a fever/cough.

After that you can buy some brand name, to see if you feel better on it, but I would definitely try the generic again in the near future to make sure you aren't just getting coincidental results.

There are a few medications that are more likely to cause problems. Thyroid medications are one common one. It is due to the tiny dosage of active ingredients in it (micro grams instead of milligrams).

I've had it happen twice. Once was an antidepressant that just didn't work as well, and the other was an antiseizure med. The latter ended with me only barely avoiding a weekend psych hold. Generics do not have to be exactly the same. They can vary a bit and still be approved. Most of the population won't ever feel the effects of it, but I had to increase the dose of a med recently when switching from the brand name samples to the generic.

Julianna,

Mine was Singulair too! The pharmacist said the generic was the same and so far no one he has given it to has had any problems (though the generic has only been out a month or so I think).

I really don't want to take it again, even though I know that would be a more scientific way to see if it was the problem. I felt horrible and was even thinking we might have to wake the kids and all go to urgent care or something. My whole body was shivering like crazy. It was scary!

The only thing I could think of was maybe one of the "binders" or other inactive ingredients affected how fast it was absorbed. We called the nurseline and she said the symptoms I was having can happen with Singulair in general. So maybe the generic just hit my system all at once instead of spread out? I don't really know.

For now my doctor said I can try just going off of Singulair entirely and see how it goes.

This.

Generics have to be "bio-equivalent" to the brand which means the active ingredient reacts the same way in testing. They can be stabilized with different salts, have different coatings and different inactive ingredients. In some cases (Synthroid is one), the generic is actually very different than the brand (and technically doesn't meet the true definition of a generic).

I was going to say exactly this. My mom was on name brand synthroid no problem. Then her insurance would only pay for generic and she reacted terribly to it. Turns out it has sodium laurel sulfate in it that messed up my mom's digestive system because she's allergic to it. She had to fight her insurance and jump through a lot of hoops to be able to go back on the name brand.

Julianna,

The pharmacist said the generic was the same and so far no one he has given it to has had any problems (though the generic has only been out a month or so I think).

I really don't want to take it again, even though I know that would be a more scientific way to see if it was the problem. I felt horrible and was even thinking we might have to wake the kids and all go to urgent care or something. My whole body was shivering like crazy. It was scary!

The only thing I could think of was maybe one of the "binders" or other inactive ingredients affected how fast it was absorbed. We called the nurseline and she said the symptoms I was having can happen with Singulair in general. So maybe the generic just hit my system all at once instead of spread out? I don't really know.

For now my doctor said I can try just going off of Singulair entirely and see how it goes.

That's interesting, since you probably took the 10mg Singulair. The pills are probably totally different from the 5 mg chewable.

We all assumed dd's reaction had something to do with the artificial sweeteners or colors needed to make the 5mg chewable. The swallowable pill wouldn't need all that junk.

I'm surprised you got so much grief from your medical people. I talked to 2 different pharmacists, a triage nurse, and 2 different pediatricians, and only 1 of them questioned my 10yo's perception of events.

FWIW, she switched back to the brand name and has been fine with every dose.

I was going to say exactly this. My mom was on name brand synthroid no problem. Then her insurance would only pay for generic and she reacted terribly to it. Turns out it has sodium laurel sulfate in it that messed up my mom's digestive system because she's allergic to it. She had to fight her insurance and jump through a lot of hoops to be able to go back on the name brand.

I take a medication that has generics put out by several different labs. I read that if you have a problem with one generic and your insurance won't cover the brand name you can call around and find a pharmacy that carries a different lab's generic. I found ranking's of my drug's generic labs.

Synthroid is a very tricky one. Your pharmacy can switch labs at any time at the Buyer's discretion, and technically, you might need to have your dose retitrated every time they do, because the binders affect how it is absorbed.

Neurological drugs are also notoriously difficult to work with as generics. Again, if the pharmacy changes labs, your dose could be wrong, which is disastrous for epileptics.

I have serious issues with people being forced onto generics for maintenance meds, particularly when consistency cannot be guaranteed (you cannot call around if you have to use mail order or face being charged triple the normal copay). I do not like my family's health being held hostage against the insurance co's bottom line.

Wow, I just picked up my Singulair and was given the generic for the first time. I had a few more branded ones left so haven't started taking them yet. I really hope I don't have a problem.

Did anyone else pay the exact same amount for the generic as they were for the brand? I didn't realize I was getting the generic until I got home since I knew it was very new. I may just request the brand from now on. I don't have prescription insurance anyway and if it's going to cost the same, why switch?

Did anyone else pay the exact same amount for the generic as they were for the brand? I didn't realize I was getting the generic until I got home since I knew it was very new. I may just request the brand from now on. I don't have prescription insurance anyway and if it's going to cost the same, why switch?

The out of pocket cost is the same? That is surprising. We have prescription insurance. I pay 5 times more for brand name than generic.

Yes. $145 a month is what I was paying for brand and it's what I paid for generic.

I'd call the pharmacy and see if there was a mistake. Generics are usually much cheaper. If you didn't know you were getting generic, maybe you can take it back. My pharmacy always asks about substituting with a generic. Always.

Usually I am fine with generics, but I had one experience that made me wonder. I have been on antidepressants for a long time, but I've gone off them several times. I was taking Paxil before and weaning off it went fine. Then I got back on it some point later, except this time it was the generic. I was fine while I was on it but weaning that time was one of the worst experiences of my life. There was an immediate difference in everything. I felt like I had the flu, I was bawling for days. Just awful.