Menu

Harry Potter 7. To watch at the halfway point or wait until the end?

HP7: Watch at the halfway point or wait until the end?  

1. 1. HP7: Watch at the halfway point or wait until the end?

• Watch at the halfway point. You just can't wait!
    • Wait until the end and have a double feature. It will maximize the excitement!

DH and DS9 are reading HP7 together. They are closing in on the final scenes in part 1 of the movie. Should they watch the first movie before finishing the book or wait for the end and have a double feature?

Obviously, this is a life or death emergency. :tongue_smilie: My boys disagree. :boxing_smiley:

My opinion was, unfortunately, in opposition to the opinion held by the other party in a position of power. :glare::lol:

Poll to follow!

ETA: There is no "other" option because if you think we are terrible parents and scarring DS for life, I don't really want to hear it. :lol: :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Although I may argue and say avoid the movies.

We watched them as they came out and I enjoyed the first couple. The ones for books 6 and 7 just got boring IMO. My husband doesn't want to watch them again and I don't imagine our son will ever watch them (although that'll be his choice, but he complained about the errors in Fellowship of the Ring, so I don't see him handling the changes in HP.)

But do wait to finish the book.

ETA: There is no "other" option because if you think we are terrible parents and scarring DS for life, I don't really want to hear it. :lol: :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol:

Although I may argue and say avoid the movies.

We watched them as they came out and I enjoyed the first couple. The ones for books 6 and 7 just got boring IMO. My husband doesn't want to watch them again and I don't imagine our son will ever watch them (although that'll be his choice, but he complained about the errors in Fellowship of the Ring, so I don't see him handling the changes in HP.)

But do wait to finish the book.

You know, I liked the first and didn't like the second. The third was ok and then they were good after that. I felt like they rushed too much with the second and it just didn't come together well.

Sorry, totally off topic. :tongue_smilie:

But I vote wait! :D

To each of you who have voted or replied so far, I would like to say that you were my very favorite poster...until tonight. :glare:

Well, two of you are still in my good graces, but sadly you are anonymous so I might never know who is my kindred spirit. :nopity:

This poll is not going well for me. :lol:

:D ;)

DS and I just finished reading the entire series, we couldn't wait and watched the first part after we finished reading up to that point and part 2 afterwards.

DS is 10 and was finally interested in reading HP, I was so happy. He loved the books and liked the movies but thought the books were better.

I voted to let them watch the first show now. That's what we just did with dd. She'll be done with the rest of the book shortly, and then we'll watch the second half. It's really not going to be that long in between movies. We're talking weeks here, not months so I don't think the deprivation of not watching the second movie immediately will be that severe.

If I had 2 that differed, I would let the one that wanted to see the movie watch it (maybe send the other kid with dad to do something else) and then watch all together later when the other kid was ready.

I voted to let them watch the first show now. That's what we just did with dd. She'll be done with the rest of the book shortly, and then we'll watch the second half. It's really not going to be that long in between movies. We're talking weeks here, not months so I don't think the deprivation of not watching the second movie immediately will be that severe.

If I had 2 that differed, I would let the one that wanted to see the movie watch it (maybe send the other kid with dad to do something else) and then watch all together later when the other kid was ready.

Thanks! I have an ally! :thumbup:

It's too late though. :lol: DS9 is very flexible and has told Dad it's no biggie if they wait (DH wants to). This poll did not help my cause, but that's OK because it's not my experience. :001_smile:

To be clear to everyone, when I said my boys don't agree, I meant DS9 and DH, not DS6 (who I very possibly might not even allow to watch it when he is 9 because he is such a very different kid).

I voted wait. But I feel that you should know that...

*I* have not even seen the movies, so I don't even know what the "breaking point" between the two is.

I've only read the books. I am on the second read through now, as read alouds. One of these days I might actually watch the movies. Or maybe not.

I didn't respond earlier, but I voted wait. How do you know you've read to where part 1 ends? If you haven't you could be ruining yourself for a fairly poignant event that happens in the book. Plus, when it ends you'll be all "WHAT? They ended it there? But I want to see the rest NOW! I have to know what happens!" When part 1 came out we took Indy and when we got to the end he just looked over at me and said "Surely they didn't just stop there!"

Thanks everyone!

How do you know you've read to where part 1 ends? If you haven't you could be ruining yourself for a fairly poignant event that happens in the book. Plus, when it ends you'll be all "WHAT? They ended it there? But I want to see the rest NOW!

I have read all of book 7 and seen movie 7, part 1, so I would serve as their advisor for a stopping point. Totally get what you mean by ruining the poignant moment. :( I must be an odd bird though, because I loved where they chose to end the movie. Thought it was very appropriate and, yes, left you wanting more.

They have chosen to wait. I, however, finished rereading HP7 last night and will be having my first viewing of 7b tonight while they read. :D