Menu

Show me your timelines (on the wall, in a book, any timeline!)

LifeLovePassion

I CAN"T WAProgress;4268419]I don't have a picture, but my friend used the Kingfisher Encyclopedia as her history spine, and had her daughters make their own timeline - I'm not sure if they took turns doing a piece, but it was the neatest thing - and something she - and they - will treasure because it was all done by her daughters (approx grades 2-4?). She used index cards - they drew a picture of the person or event, including the date(s), and wrote a little about it. She may have written dates on the wall (like in real timeline fashion), but I don't think so - just the dates on the cards. For several years, it adorned the stairwell of their home - it probably stretched 10-12 feet or so, perhaps more.

This is exactly what we are going to do, but are going to use painters tape for the line with dates marked on the wall. Once it is more final we will paint the line on the wall. A stairway is just the place in my opinion :) We are also going to add family photo's of important events along the timeline :)

Imagine cork square, a foot on each side, glued in a line down a long hall about 4 foot off the ground, and a roll of 12" paper cut to length and divided with evenly-spaced marks. The geological ages are noted, and stickers of prehistoric animals placed, with color coded bars going forward to extinction time. Now imagine a big roll of thick, tight twine, divided by coloring into three divisions of precambrian times, and this string unrolls and goes all the way out to the mailbox on the street.

That is our geological time line.

We'll start the ancients, soon.

Edited by kalanamak

I haven't taken any pictures of ours because it is still blank, but I'll describe it. First I printed the ancients cover for The Well Trained Mind History Notebook from http://barefootmeandering.com/ on card stock. Then I printed card stock pages of the years encompassing ancient history. I made my own, but I think the free GuestHollow ones would work fine. Then I took scotch tape and taped them all together on the back of the pages, along the longest side. It folds up accordion-style. We can flip through it like a book, or spread it out on the floor. I got the idea from http://www.funschooling.net/2008/09/our-prehistory-timeline-year-1-weeks-3.html. I taped them together along the 11-inch side, though, and used only white card stock. We will be using this as a family timeline instead of each student having their own.

We are using the book from Homeschool in the Woods and their CD for the timeline figures. I printed the figures onto full sheet sticker labels. However, I noticed that when we touched the figures to place them down in the book, the oils from our fingers were smudging the ink. I bought a small bottle of Matte Modge Podge and use that to "seal" the figures onto the sticker pages before we cut them out and put them in the book.

Overall, it was expensive, and I had gone back and forth on whether I should spend the money, but DD already LOVES the book and has been looking at it often. :)

post-45837-13535087450866_thumb.jpg

post-45837-13535087451229_thumb.jpg

post-45837-13535087479546_thumb.jpg

We are using the book from Homeschool in the Woods and their CD for the timeline figures. I printed the figures onto full sheet sticker labels. However, I noticed that when we touched the figures to place them down in the book, the oils from our fingers were smudging the ink. I bought a small bottle of Matte Modge Podge and use that to "seal" the figures onto the sticker pages before we cut them out and put them in the book.

Overall, it was expensive, and I had gone back and forth on whether I should spend the money, but DD already LOVES the book and has been looking at it often. :)

I like the look of the History Through the Ages book. Can more pages be added? How many pages does it come with? Can this be used for both Old Earth & Young Earth pov?

Thanks!

This is our first year doing a timeline, but I decided that since I don't love the look of timelines strung up, I would do book forms that the kids could always keep. We just started this week and it looks like this:

DSC_0030.JPG: I comb-bound the timeline and ds and I found pictures to add. I printed them on sticky-backed paper so he could just cut, peel and stick, then write in the information on the lines. He really likes it, and I know he will feel a lot of pride in the finished product.

Edited by Hedgehogs4
perhaps I was drunk (jk) when I wrote it, or forgot what pronouns were?

I like the look of the History Through the Ages book. Can more pages be added? How many pages does it come with? Can this be used for both Old Earth & Young Earth pov?

There are 125 pages for the timeline portion and it goes up to the year 2025. The increments of the years vary. I think you can purchase a download of the pages and print them yourself if you want additional pages or extra copies. I believe HSITW products are all YE. I am not sure if you could use for OE but maybe you could if you omitted certain figures?

I see the one page pictured is YE. How much of HitW's images are religious in foundation?

TIA

There are a lot of religious images, but if you buy the CD there are just so many images so I'm sure you could leave out the religious ones if you wanted.

For my kids, I take cardstock and tape it together landscape fashion.....I fold it accordion style, then it fits in the pocket of their 3 ring binder. I have them start in 5 th grade, and add to it until they finish high school. My kids do not part with their timelines! They go off to college with them...lol.

I will try to get some pictures.

I would love to see this if you have time to take pictures. This is what I would like to do, but I can't quite wrap my head around how to do it. I really want each child to have their own!

TIA!

This is what I want to use, but I was planning on printing on regular paper, letting them colour if they want to, and using a gluestick. Is this a bad idea?

This is what I want to use, but I was planning on printing on regular paper, letting them colour if they want to, and using a gluestick. Is this a bad idea?

No, I think it will work just fine and alot of people do that I'm sure. I just didn't want to mess with glue and I found a good price on the sticker labels, so I figured it was worth it to me. You may want to read this. It has alot of tips, but the specific portion about gluing is down at the very bottom.

Hope that helps!

I don't have one at home yet but when I taught at a classical private school, I had one in my classroom. I plan to do roughly the same thing when we start a chronological history study in a few years. I cut a pretty color of poster board (it took several) into ~6" wide strips and stapled them up around the wall sort of like a wallpaper border, but lower down so it was easier to see. I printed numbers for the dates (every few hundred years? can't recall--it's been a decade!) and put those up, evenly spaced. Then every week when we had a new topic in history, or whenever we encountered something else we wanted on a timeline (composer or artist we were studying, etc), I handed a kid a 3x5 blank notecard and they drew a picture illustrating the topic. I would write in sharpie the name and date under their illustration and tape it up on the timeline. By year's end, it looked awesome! Totally personal, customized, and representative of what all we had studied!

I am just starting a basic timeline with my son but we're doing it online. tiki-toki.com. I can't link to the one we've started because I made it private. We so far only have his birthday, his sister's birthday, Jesus's birthday, etc, but I plan on adding dates as we study American history. You can link pictures and/or videos to the dates/events you add. So far it seems to be working well and it's saving paper. Plus, it's fun and easy to browse through media relating to the history.

• 4 weeks later...
We just did this. My friend gave me the idea. Hers are strung up her stairway wall. This is in the dining room where we do our work. I love that I can easily point to them, take them down to read the backs, and put them back up again.

picture.php?albumid=652&pictureid=2778

Love this! Do they have art cards?

Love this! Do they have art cards?

I don't think they have separate cards for art. I believe they decided to do a combined approach for history and art. The front of each history card is a piece of art, whether a painting, sculpture, photograph, etc. Most are paintings. They have the artist's name and maybe some more info about the art, I'm not sure and am not with them right now. We are just getting into them. We just LOVE them displayed on the wall, though!

I don't think they have separate cards for art. I believe they decided to do a combined approach for history and art. The front of each history card is a piece of art, whether a painting, sculpture, photograph, etc. Most are paintings. They have the artist's name and maybe some more info about the art, I'm not sure and am not with them right now. We are just getting into them. We just LOVE them displayed on the wall, though!

Oh thanks! I have checked out the 2 links listed to purchase them, but they don't give out much info, so what you have just told me is very helpful. I think I just may get these!!!

Oh thanks! I have checked out the 2 links listed to purchase them, but they don't give out much info, so what you have just told me is very helpful. I think I just may get these!!!

Ok, on 2nd look, they do describe the cards well, it's just that they do not show many pictures of the cards. I must be a visual learner ;)

I am almost positive that these are the Classical Conversations new timeline cards--if you were thinking that $40 was too much, then these are probably out of your price range! I know that there are 5 sets, grouped together in their appropriate time frames, and I think that they are $24 for each set...you could look at the website to be sure because I really can't remember the actual price! I know that they come already laminated--hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

http://www.rainbowresource.com/pictures/039403/8ab68801caf91581eb9ab3fc

Can someone tell me if this History Odyssey timeline is secular? I have had the hardest time figuring out how to do one. I thought about our hallway wall, but honestly I don't relish the idea of keeping up with something that takes up wall space. Something that could be put in a binder and on a shelf would be much better.

I don't mind the timeline having prehistory stuff not included because we do have a couple detailed books about prehistory and pre-human topics that have visual timelines in the book. I'm looking for history only, not so much science timeline help. I got the science pre-history covered.

I notice it starts at 6000 BC (is it YE?) or is that just an arbitrary starting point? Does it include religious story as fact? How much would be useful to me if I delete certain things? I notice that there's an optional prehistory sticker pack and they use the abbrv. BCE, so I felt sort of safe assuming I could use this timeline without too much religious interference? Also is there space to write in your own events?

This is one thing I don't really feel like I want to make myself.

I created ours using painter's tape, a level, a pencil, a label maker and the timeline figure's from Home School in the Woods. I modeled the size and time increments after another one I had seen that can be purchased.

I think it came out really good except, in retrospect, I wish I had made it bigger and that I had made the time increments smaller in Ancients.

It is unique and though. I don't think I have seen one quite like this before and it was really simple and inexpensive to do.

I tried to attach the pictures but could not so I posted them on my blog, if you want to check it out. http://pisarikadoption.blogspot.com/