Menu

WWYD - Sr missing credits

A disclaimer: My DIL is not actually my DIL yet, and it could be said she and DS18 are courting or betrothed or whatever, since the gift of an engagement ring is still an undetermined point in the future. I call her DIL so people online don't assume she and DS are twins.

The dilemma: DIL's mom has some issues (which is why she lives with us) and moved her around a lot from 8-11th grade. 8-10th she was in various CA ps; for 11th she did K12 in Nevada (a charter school?) but they wouldn't accept all of her CA credits and put her back as 10th grade. She had a lot of PC problems that resulted in missed classes and the school/program dropped her sometime in the spring semester. She originally decided she was going to get her GED but we've talked about it and now she wants to HS her senior year instead.

Now we're trying to figure out what she really needs to take to be considered graduated. We're in TX, so there are no actual graduation requirements or standardized testing for us to follow. Right now she wants to attend one of the CC's child care programs so she can have a home day care or be a nanny or something like that. We've contacted the CC to see if there were any specific high school classes she needed for those programs, but it doesn't seem to need anything beyond the basics. (Her long term goal is to be a homemaker/homeschooler and eventually get her writing published.)

I should note that I suspect she has some learning disabilities that may have gone undiagnosed or unaddressed over the years. It's nothing specific I can point out, just lots of little things I've noticed that make me wonder. Of course, I have no idea how to approach it with her.

Here's what she's had and what we think she will most likely need. Your thoughts on what we need to change/add would be very greatly appreciated!

Math

Completed: Algebra 1 & 2, Foundations of Geometry

Needs: Regular Geometry? Consumer Math? Good enough?

Science

Completed: Life Science, Earth Science, Physical Science

Needs: Biology. Conceptual Chemistry or Physics? IPC?

History

Completed: American History, World History

Needs: Government (this is a TX requirement). Economics? Geography?

English

Completed: English 9 & 10

Needs: :confused: She loves to read and writes short stories/novels and will be helping DS14 with his English and grammar lessons this year as well. Would some independent study/OCWs and a few essays/research papers be adequate?

She's looking at a variety of e-texts (completecurriculum.com, CK12.org, Khan Academy, etc.) and OCW classes for independent study. I'm not currently planning on having to do much grading for her, other than reading some papers, unless the Hive says different.

Okay, your turn now. :bigear:

What does she need for admission to the CC? Will she take an entrance test (COMPASS, ACT, etc.)?

I would say for this year, Geometry, Biology, Chemistry, a half year each of Govt and Econ. For English, I would incorporate prep for the English part of whatever test she might need to take for the CC. If that is her strong area, I would be more likely to make that the independent work, giving her a list of books, a grammar guide for reference, and a list of assignments, and instead focus time on getting her up to speed in math and science.

She doesn't really know what the future looks like at this point, and I would want to make sure she had what most people would consider the usual high school subjects to make a transcript and diploma, in case she needed them in the future.

A disclaimer: My DIL is not actually my DIL yet, and it could be said she and DS18 are courting or betrothed or whatever, since the gift of an engagement ring is still an undetermined point in the future. I call her DIL so people online don't assume she and DS are twins.

The dilemma: DIL's mom has some issues (which is why she lives with us) and moved her around a lot from 8-11th grade. 8-10th she was in various CA ps; for 11th she did K12 in Nevada (a charter school?) but they wouldn't accept all of her CA credits and put her back as 10th grade. She had a lot of PC problems that resulted in missed classes and the school/program dropped her sometime in the spring semester. She originally decided she was going to get her GED but we've talked about it and now she wants to HS her senior year instead.

Now we're trying to figure out what she really needs to take to be considered graduated. We're in TX, so there are no actual graduation requirements or standardized testing for us to follow. Right now she wants to attend one of the CC's child care programs so she can have a home day care or be a nanny or something like that. We've contacted the CC to see if there were any specific high school classes she needed for those programs, but it doesn't seem to need anything beyond the basics. (Her long term goal is to be a homemaker/homeschooler and eventually get her writing published.)

I should note that I suspect she has some learning disabilities that may have gone undiagnosed or unaddressed over the years. It's nothing specific I can point out, just lots of little things I've noticed that make me wonder. Of course, I have no idea how to approach it with her.

Here's what she's had and what we think she will most likely need. Your thoughts on what we need to change/add would be very greatly appreciated!

Math

Science

History

English

Needs: :confused: She loves to read and writes short stories/novels and will be helping DS14 with his English and grammar lessons this year as well. Would some independent study/OCWs and a few essays/research papers be adequate?

She's looking at a variety of e-texts (completecurriculum.com, CK12.org, Khan Academy, etc.) and OCW classes for independent study. I'm not currently planning on having to do much grading for her, other than reading some papers, unless the Hive says different.

Yes, that was a charter school in NV. :-) K12 is more or less just a curriculum provider; she was enrolled in a charter school which used K12, so her enrollment would actually have been in Nevada Virtual Academy.

Since she's planning to go to c.c., and has a life plan in general, I'd graduate her and call it a day. I would *strongly* encourage her to work towards an A.A. and not just a certificate. Also, if she has learning disabilities, the college may be able to help her; she'd have to be tested and whatnot, and then there would be a plan in place to help her achieve success there.

Graduation shouldn't only be about earning credits. Your dil has done as much at home as she's going to. She's 18. She has a plan for her future adulthood. Let her move on. :)

For English, give her a list of books to read.

Math: Geometry

Science: Chemistry

A semester of government and economics (one each)

Since she plans on going to the CC she can dual enroll (here it is only 2 classes a semester) and get college credit while finishing high school. And as Ellie says, she should work toward an associates degree. This will give her more flexibility later on.

Linda

She'll have to take COMPASS placement testing or have a qualifying ACT/SAT score. Their admissions requirements says students 18+ that are not high school graduates can be admitted with COMPASS testing on conditional admission requiring one semester of college prep courses as determined by the test scores.

Do you know if there are practice COMPASS exams available online? It might be beneficial to have her see where she would place in them. If she was going to need a lot of college prep courses, it would just be easier to save the $$ and do it at home.

I do plan to encourage her to go for the associates degree. They have at least 5 different courses, all of which are described in almost exactly the same manner, so without sitting down to meet with counselors we don't know exactly what is what.

Personally I would just call it done if she is ready to move on.

My oldest had learning 'differences' and we did what we could and then moved on. She was 18 and had completed 2 math credits, 1 science credit and 1 History credit. She dabbled in English but not enough for a full credit. She was 'learning' but it was hard for her (and for me!)... This same dd just graduated from the CC with HONORS! She blossomed while at the CC.

Geometry is not on the Compass test-- do not worry about that one.

If she does decide to homeschool for another semester then have her take a consumer math.

Englishgrammar101.com is a great site for practicing the editing and grammar portions of the Compass test-- and it is free!

Are you close enough to the CC for her to do dual credit? If so then take Government at the CC along with their English 1301 (composition) if you continue to homeschool...

The Compass test is $10-- but you can only retake it so many times. You can Google study guides and the CC should also have these.

To enter the CC she will need to have a transcript. I would not list subjects by year-- just by Math, Science, English... Give a final grade. The most important thing is to have a graduation date and a notarized signature!

I'm afraid I'm going to be a bit different from what others have posted. I'd be preparing her for her future goals and given that it sounds like the cc is not going to be demanding in its requirements I'd focus on filling in that way.

Math: Consumer and business math, maybe accounting.

Science: biology with a strong health component or psychology with a focus on learning psychology (although be careful what you text you chose some would be way over a beginning student's head).

English: Given her interests count whatever she did last year as English, it sounds like she did plenty. This year you and she could design a course of writing around whatever kind of writing she is interested in and add some classics she hasn't yet tackled.

I'm afraid I'm going to be a bit different from what others have posted. I'd be preparing her for her future goals and given that it sounds like the cc is not going to be demanding in its requirements I'd focus on filling in that way.

Science: biology with a strong health component or psychology with a focus on learning psychology (although be careful what you text you chose some would be way over a beginning student's head).

English: Given her interests count whatever she did last year as English, it sounds like she did plenty. This year you and she could design a course of writing around whatever kind of writing she is interested in and add some classics she hasn't yet tackled.

:iagree:

I think the Consumer/Business math is a must. Also the Biology with the health component.

I would find out what the CC requires for her to take classes and have her go ahead. If she needs a diploma, I'd just go ahead and award her one.

Unless...she wants to do high school this year. If so, I would go for preparing her for CC. Here, the CC requires students of her age to take the ACT and places them in classes from their scores. (Only older students are allowed to take the Compass test here.) For the ACT, I think that reviewing algebra would be most beneficial. Brushing up on the calculator skills would be quite helpful! Go through a grammar review. Then, I would just go through an ACT prep book or two.

IF you were wanting what would be required for standard high school graduation, that is a different answer. For my state, she would need an additional math beyond algebra 1, 3 lab sciences (the ones she took wouldn't count), Government, economics, personal finance, a performing arts credit, and two more English credits that would include writing and literature. A total of 22 credits (some of those listed are half credits) is required. But, I would NOT be concerned about all of those. BUT, my real answer is my first two sentences. Go ahead and let her start CC.

Personally I would just call it done if she is ready to move on.

My oldest had learning 'differences' and we did what we could and then moved on. She was 18 and had completed 2 math credits, 1 science credit and 1 History credit. She dabbled in English but not enough for a full credit. She was 'learning' but it was hard for her (and for me!)... This same dd just graduated from the CC with HONORS! She blossomed while at the CC.

Geometry is not on the Compass test-- do not worry about that one.

If she does decide to homeschool for another semester then have her take a consumer math.

Englishgrammar101.com is a great site for practicing the editing and grammar portions of the Compass test-- and it is free!

Are you close enough to the CC for her to do dual credit? If so then take Government at the CC along with their English 1301 (composition) if you continue to homeschool...

The Compass test is $10-- but you can only retake it so many times. You can Google study guides and the CC should also have these.

To enter the CC she will need to have a transcript. I would not list subjects by year-- just by Math, Science, English... Give a final grade. The most important thing is to have a graduation date and a notarized signature!

Geometry is not on the test? Hmmmm... When I looked at a practice test site yesterday (not the one Linda linked to) it said it covered up through Trig. Does the test vary between CCs or is it fairly standard? Maybe I need to contact our CC directly and ask for them to recommend some study guides or practice exams.

We'll definitively be checking out the English link. Thanks!

:iagree:

I think the Consumer/Business math is a must. Also the Biology with the health component.

Thanks. I think this was my general line of thinking too. If we don't have too specific requirements to meet, then I'd rather she take what she might need for her preferred field or that would at least be of general use later in life.

I would find out what the CC requires for her to take classes and have her go ahead. If she needs a diploma, I'd just go ahead and award her one.

Unless...she wants to do high school this year. If so, I would go for preparing her for CC. Here, the CC requires students of her age to take the ACT and places them in classes from their scores. (Only older students are allowed to take the Compass test here.) For the ACT, I think that reviewing algebra would be most beneficial. Brushing up on the calculator skills would be quite helpful! Go through a grammar review. Then, I would just go through an ACT prep book or two.

IF you were wanting what would be required for standard high school graduation, that is a different answer. For my state, she would need an additional math beyond algebra 1, 3 lab sciences (the ones she took wouldn't count), Government, economics, personal finance, a performing arts credit, and two more English credits that would include writing and literature. A total of 22 credits (some of those listed are half credits) is required. But, I would NOT be concerned about all of those. BUT, my real answer is my first two sentences. Go ahead and let her start CC.

It's too late to enroll her in CC this semester as it started earlier this week, which is why we're focusing on what she can do at home. Enrolling in January might be an option if we can manage the cost of 2 kids in CC at the same time, since 15 credit hours runs about $1K without books and we only have my income to rely on.

PS here in TX require specific courses to be taken and a minimum of 26 credits to graduate. That would keep her in school for another 2-3 years to make up everything she would need. We don't want to go that route since we don't have to as HS. :001_smile:

It certainly wouldn't hurt her to take some ACT/SAT practice tests and see how she scores. It might be simpler to focus on areas of improvement and have her take the preferred exam next year.

Math

Science

History

English

She sounds like a sweet girl.

Has she looked at the requirements for home day care licensure in your state? It might help her choose a direction for focus on her studies this fall.

For example, business math could be very useful. Things like bookkeeping principles, interest, and figuring out costs per unit (is the giant box of graham crackers really a better deal?). I might also include skills in using Excel, budgeting software, accounting software and/or tax prep software. Ability with Excel and Word Processing programs especially could be good skill sets to have if she wants to apply for a job.

As much as I love classic, great books type lit, she could also go for an exploration of children's literature and get many of the same skills of literary criticism. Deconstructing Penguins and The Read-Aloud Handbook could both be resources (and are often in libraries). Or she could do a semester of studying folk and fairy tales, poetry (using Favorite Poems Old and New by Ferris) and mythology. Balance this with grammar and practice writing, especially writing that would have business applications. Write several business letters, an advertisement, an opinion piece about something she thinks is important in early childhood development, pieces that might become parts of a parents' handbook for her day care.

Economics could be very useful for a future business owner. Geography could be linked with the children's lit studies. Can she read a picture book and chapter book set in all 50 states? How many different countries? Can she put together projects that could be part of cultural explorations of other countries to use with her day care charges?

Has she had First Aid and CPR? Both of these may be requirements for licensure. They might be part of a Health course, which would also help a lot with managing cleanliness and illness in a day care.

She sounds like a sweet girl.

Has she looked at the requirements for home day care licensure in your state? It might help her choose a direction for focus on her studies this fall.

For example, business math could be very useful. Things like bookkeeping principles, interest, and figuring out costs per unit (is the giant box of graham crackers really a better deal?). I might also include skills in using Excel, budgeting software, accounting software and/or tax prep software. Ability with Excel and Word Processing programs especially could be good skill sets to have if she wants to apply for a job.

As much as I love classic, great books type lit, she could also go for an exploration of children's literature and get many of the same skills of literary criticism. Deconstructing Penguins and The Read-Aloud Handbook could both be resources (and are often in libraries). Or she could do a semester of studying folk and fairy tales, poetry (using Favorite Poems Old and New by Ferris) and mythology. Balance this with grammar and practice writing, especially writing that would have business applications. Write several business letters, an advertisement, an opinion piece about something she thinks is important in early childhood development, pieces that might become parts of a parents' handbook for her day care.

Economics could be very useful for a future business owner. Geography could be linked with the children's lit studies. Can she read a picture book and chapter book set in all 50 states? How many different countries? Can she put together projects that could be part of cultural explorations of other countries to use with her day care charges?

Has she had First Aid and CPR? Both of these may be requirements for licensure. They might be part of a Health course, which would also help a lot with managing cleanliness and illness in a day care.

I love the idea of digging into children's lit. I passed your comments along to her as part of her options.

I think her idea of "child care" is just collecting a kid or two to babysit during the day, rather than anything formal. She plans to eventually homeschool her own kids someday but would like a way to help bring in a few $$ in the meantime.

Our community college (Austin Community College) does not have Geometry on the COMPASS tests they offer... mainly because they do not offer a remedial Geometry course as it is not a prerequisite for college-level maths (though it is nice to have in high school as a course to develop logic and most state public schools require it for graduation). The lowest math for college credit a Texas CC will offer is 'Math for College Students' (a combination of Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 with a bit of basic Statistics thrown in). Some technical degrees have College Algebra (Algebra 3) as the lowest for-credit math. Geometry not even on the radar for those classes!

Check with your CC to make sure. The COMPASS test does offer a Geometry component-- but that depends on the state/school it is given at.

You do NOT need a cover school in Texas-- if the one you are using is giving you grief about MUS Geometry then just create your own transcript. Homeschools are considered private schools in Texas. Your homeschool transcript holds as much weight as a so called 'acredited' one. If student is going to CC then it really really does not matter! All the CC wants is a notarized high school 'transcript' that has a graduation date. They do not go over what classes were taken....

Edited by Jann in TX

Math

Science

History

English

Just an FYI. Government is not one of the required elements for a homeschool in Texas. Good Citizenship is. This can be met in many different ways and is not something that needs to be taught ever year.

Our community college (Austin Community College) does not have Geometry on the COMPASS tests they offer... mainly because they do not offer a remedial Geometry course as it is not a prerequisite for college-level maths (though it is nice to have in high school as a course to develop logic and most state public schools require it for graduation). The lowest math for college credit a Texas CC will offer is 'Math for College Students' (a combination of Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 with a bit of basic Statistics thrown in). Some technical degrees have College Algebra (Algebra 3) as the lowest for-credit math. Geometry not even on the radar for those classes!

Check with your CC to make sure. The COMPASS test does offer a Geometry component-- but that depends on the state/school it is given at.

You do NOT need a cover school in Texas-- if the one you are using is giving you grief about MUS Geometry then just create your own transcript. Homeschools are considered private schools in Texas. Your homeschool transcript holds as much weight as a so called 'acredited' one. If student is going to CC then it really really does not matter! All the CC wants is a notarized high school 'transcript' that has a graduation date. They do not go over what classes were taken....

We're not using a cover school. She was using a charter school last year, but I'm not worried about them.

Thanks for the tip on the Geometry. I know SJC's catalog listed the COMPASS scores and remedial classes required at each level so I'll look them up and see what exactly she needs to know.

Just an FYI. Government is not one of the required elements for a homeschool in Texas. Good Citizenship is. This can be met in many different ways and is not something that needs to be taught ever year.

What exactly is the difference between them? Everything I've read basically boils down to Good Citizenship being a component of Government, so we might as well teach the entire thing.

I would look at Business Math, Biology and Health or Biology with a strong Health component, Government, and English. For English, there are lots of options. I wouldn't look at a great books lit course for her unless she really likes that type of book. I would look more at some type of fiction survey. A course that explores children's literature like another poster mentioned would be good.

I don't know how much geometry is on the COMPASS test. I do know that it keeps testing until it determines that it has found your level. The better you are at math, the longer the test will take, because it will keep asking higher level questions until it thinks you have maxed out. I know it can test up to calculus I placement.

Geometry on the test is probably actually from trigonometry.

As much as I love classic, great books type lit, she could also go for an exploration of children's literature and get many of the same skills of literary criticism. Deconstructing Penguins and The Read-Aloud Handbook could both be resources (and are often in libraries). Or she could do a semester of studying folk and fairy tales, poetry (using Favorite Poems Old and New by Ferris) and mythology.

Along these same lines, you can have her watch the Teaching the Classics videos. They teach literary analysis by using children's stories & poems.

What exactly is the difference between them? Everything I've read basically boils down to Good Citizenship being a component of Government, so we might as well teach the entire thing.

I have never heard of any other state requiring such a thing as a course in "Good Citizenship." :001_huh: But I wouldn't worry about it, anyway. All young people should have a course in government before they are released into the world, whether the state says they should or not; and I would expect that a decent upbringing would go a long way to ending up with a young person who is a good citizen. :)