Menu

Who's Got Menu Plans?

Seriously folks, I need some HELP. Nice, simple plans. I'm not gourmet. Remember, I do lots of spaghetti! :D

For us, I'd like to do a protien (we do lots of chicken, some beef and pork, pasta) fresh fruit and veggies. We are not vegans, vegatarians and not bean eaters. Nothing against those who are, we just have not aquired those tastes. We usually try to do a breakfast for dinner to save money too. Money is a big issue around here too.

Anybody have any ideas for some easy recipes? :confused:

I have posted this before, but it is so easy and in my crockpot as I type!

Creamy Crockpot Chicken and Noodles

3 or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup (I used Campbell's)

4 cans condensed (YES, it matters!!!) chicken broth (again, I use Campbell's)

1 stick butter, sliced

1 24-oz package Reames frozen egg noodles

Combine soups with a whisk. Place chicken breasts in crockpot and cover with soups. Place slices of butter on top. Cook on low for 7 hours. Remove chicken and shred and return to crockpot along with the frozen egg noodles (don't thaw them) and cook on low for an additional 1.5 hours. Serve in bowls. Yummy! Note: if you have leftovers you will need to add additional NON-condensed chicken broth when reheating as the noodles really drink up the soupy part. Good with green beans or broccoli and rolls.

Cynthia,

This sounds delicious. I'll have to try it. I've been looking for something different for dinner. We're so sick of the same stuff over and over again.

Also do you have any suggestions for other noodle options if I can't find the frozen ones. I haven't seen them around here, but I'll keep looking.

I subscribe to a service called the Scramble (http://thescramble.com/) which we've been enjoying. I think they have a sample menu on the site.

One of the features that makes this really great, is that subscribers can customize their menus. So if the menu plan of the week includes a recipe I know my family won't enjoy, I can leave it off of my menu & add a different recipe from the database instead.

Once you have your menu plan, a lovely PDF file is created with all of your menus and a shopping list, grouped by category (staples, refrigerated, produce, etc.) and labeled by which meal each ingredient is for. Side-dish suggestions are given for each meal, too.

This has been a huge sanity saver for me, and we like most of the meals. (We tried Saving Dinner a few years back, but there wasn't as much flexibility, and meals were really hit-and-miss with my family.)

HTH :)

Kelsy

Here's what I came up with:

Homemade Chicken soup--super easy and you can add noodles, dumplings, or rice to it. Usually lasts us 3 meals because I make such a big pot.

Chili bowls: I make chili (with our without beans), put tortillas into muffin pans (cut a slit into the tortilla to make it fit better) and bake until light brown, spoon in chili, cheese, sour cream, green onions, bacon, whatever you like

Stuffed baked potatoes: we use this as a leftover use up night, I bake 2 potatoes for each family member and use things like chili, taco meat, spagetti sauce, cheese, veggies, bacon, or whatever to stuff them with.

veggie wraps: I make a cream cheese spread with cream cheese, italian seasoning, and garlic and spread it onto tortillas and then put tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, onion, olives, whatever I have onto them and wrap them

Taco salads: I crush up tortilla chips and then layer hamb., lettuce, cheese, pico de gallo, olives, guacamole or whatever on the chips.

Anyway, money is tight here for us too so we are trying to be economical as well. Hope this helps!

Taco Night...

or easy enciladas... Taco meat in flour torillas in a baking dish cover with enchilada sauce and spread shredded cheese over it . Bake for 30 min. Done.

Dreaded Hamburger Helper. :)(my dc really do love the cheeseburger mac)

Easy crock pot B-B-Q chicken. Throw some frozen chicken in the crock and cook until tender. Pour over some barbeque sauce and warm up. (Or you could move the chicken to a baking dish and bake the sauce on if you like that better)

A Chef's salad night. Chop up same ham, or turkey. Put out some boiled eggs, carrot slices, mushrooms, sunflower seeds, toast cut into squares etc... Oh, and of course the different lettuce and spinach you'd like and let them create their salad.

How bout.. Homemade individual pizza.

Flour tortilla for each person. Let them add pizza sauce, hamburger, sliced olives, mushrooms, pepperoni, cheese, and anything else you can think of. They make it just how they like it. Place on a cookie sheet and cook until cheese is melted. ( I heard about this one... haven't tried it yet but sounds good since we like pizza here)

I have posted this before, but it is so easy and in my crockpot as I type!

Creamy Crockpot Chicken and Noodles

3 or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup (I used Campbell's)

4 cans condensed (YES, it matters!!!) chicken broth (again, I use Campbell's)

1 stick butter, sliced

1 24-oz package Reames frozen egg noodles

Combine soups with a whisk. Place chicken breasts in crockpot and cover with soups. Place slices of butter on top. Cook on low for 7 hours. Remove chicken and shred and return to crockpot along with the frozen egg noodles (don't thaw them) and cook on low for an additional 1.5 hours. Serve in bowls. Yummy! Note: if you have leftovers you will need to add additional NON-condensed chicken broth when reheating as the noodles really drink up the soupy part. Good with green beans or broccoli and rolls.

Oh yum, this does sound good. I've never seen condensed chicken broth though...will I find this in the soups?

Here's our weekly menu...

M-BLT's, Curly Cheesy Potatoes, Apple Slices with Dip

T-Sliced Ham, Mashed Potatoes, Corn and Muffins

W-Chicken Alfredo, Broccoli and Cheese, Garlic Cheese Biscuits

TH-Shepherd's Pie, Cooked Carrots

Baked Potato Soup, Honey Wheat Bread

Snack: Chocolate Chip Cookies

Dessert: Banana Cream Pie

I got this out of this recipe book

This is our 3 week using this book and we love it. Some of the recipes the kids didn't really like, but they have to atleast try everything.

It has your grocery list for you. I always write out my own(from what she writes in the book) since we might have some of the things already.

I know for us, meal planning was a hassle but then I ordered this book and now we don't have to worry about it :001_smile:

My guys love chicken breast and salsa. I just toss some frozen boneless skinless chicken breast in the crock pot in the morning with a jar of salsa and cook on low all day. Shred and serve with tortillas.

You could use BBQ sauce and serve on buns ( hot sandwhiches lol) or spaghetti sauce and serve over pasta or cream soup and serve over rice.

I posted this last week...

I wanted to eat healthy but I didn't have the skills or experience to do so. Then I read about the menu mailer on a board somewhere.

this has been a great hit in our house. It not only helps me serve healthy food my picky eaters enjoy but it breaks down and does the organization work for me!

When I first heard about the site I wasn't convinced but she has a free sample week posted. It's based on Nourishing Traditions/Weston Price info which I did not have a lot of previous knowledge about. I printed it and those 7 pages and it changed the way we eat forever. I am a FORMER processed food junky now. :)

here is info from her site and the link to the free sample...

The menu mailer covers 6 dinners (including side dishes) and one dessert every week. It contains a full menu, shopping list, a preparation plan, and serving suggestions for each meal. Tips and information are included in every mailer as well.

What makes the Cooking Traditional Foods menu mailer unique? A preparation schedule is included with every menu mailer. It reminds you when to thaw the meat, prep the crock-pot, make the stock or soak the grains. Because lack of planning is a major hurdle in getting healthy meals on the table, this schedule helps you make sure everything is done. It also contains blanks so you can write in your own reminders for breakfast, snacks and lunches.

Are you new to whole and traditional foods?

Have you just gone gluten/dairy-free and don’t know what to eat?

Want to fix meals that your kids will actually like and want to eat?

Learning how to cook or plan menus and not sure what to do?

Need a consolidated plan to save time?

Need help with menu planning?

Have trouble remembering the advanced preparation required for healthy meals?

Want to try something new?

Want to be able to chat with other Mailer users and ask the menu author questions?

Cooking Traditional Foods can help!

See a FREE sample weeekly mailer here:

http://www.tfrecipes.com/forum/index.php?referrerid=117

My guys love chicken breast and salsa. I just toss some frozen boneless skinless chicken breast in the crock pot in the morning with a jar of salsa and cook on low all day. Shred and serve with tortillas.

You could use BBQ sauce and serve on buns ( hot sandwhiches lol) or spaghetti sauce and serve over pasta or cream soup and serve over rice.

My kids will like this. Thank you!

with menu plans. I posted it back in October '07.

HTH -

Molly

Thank you! I was able to print out the month of menus. Many items that my family would like and that I can put on my rotation. I am getting some great ideas from you ladies and am so thankful! :D

I use to post them in my blog but then I just stopped not sure why.

Monday Tacos made enough for 2 nights though pudding cups

Tuesday Taco pizza with leftovers from last night homemade pizza crust Brownies for dessert

Wednesday Hamburgers, french fries, baked beans with bread pudding

Thursday Grilled chicken, mashed potatoes, and a veggie. Cake balls for dessert

Friday Aussie Chicken, baked sweet potato, salad; pudding pie with a graham cracker crust

Saturday bbq casserole, with baked bananas

Sunday beef roast with mashed spuds and a veggie ice cream is for dessert

For the Aussie Chicken I take the 6 chicken breast and marinate over night, 1 cup of mayo, 1/2 cup of mustard, 1/2 cup of honey. I like to do over night but can be done in the morning. I like to grill my chicken but you can fry or bake. You only want to cook it 1/2 way. While chicken is cooking sautee a pkg of mushrooms, in seperate pan also cook 1/2 pkg of bacon. Place chicken in baking dish then pour mush. and bacon over it and apply a few handfuls of shredded cheese and bake till chicken is done. Do all baking at at 350.

For the BBQ casserole

1 pkg of hot dogs

1 pound of burger

2 lg cans of bush beans

1 bag of tater tots

cook the burger pour in both cans of bean but up the hot dogs, add the cooked burger mix in bowl. Bake the tater tots for 1/2 the time on the pkg then pull out and pour mixture over sprinkle with your fav cheese return to oven for 20 more min.

hope they help someone:D

I don't have a weeks worth of menus, but I wanted to share a delicious chicken salad recipe I made today. It uses the same ingredients as the Kroger Deli Chicken salad I love. They told me what was in it. I don't have amounts, I just added till it looked good.

Cook & Shredded Chicken. ( I boiled mine)

Hellman's Mayonaise (I think this brand is important)

Dill Pickle Relish

Chopped Celery (I used 1 stalk)

Red Grapes (Sliced in half)

Salt & Pepper

Mix all together and chill. I served mine on Crossants, but I also use pita bread.

Seriously folks, I need some HELP. Nice, simple plans. I'm not gourmet. Remember, I do lots of spaghetti! :D

I'm late to your thread, but thought I'd share my menu for this week which I think is pretty easy.

Monday--a bag of frozen chicken breasts..skinless boneless. 3 pounds for $9 or $7 depending on if you get the 'no hormones' or not. I thawed these, and marinaded in Honey Teriyaki. Dh cooked on grill along with fresh corn wrapped in foil, buttered and seasoned in the foil. We have a small family, so we had leftover chicken(planned that way) that I will make into chicken fahitas tonight. For your larger family, just increase the amount of chicken that you cook the first night so you will have leftovers. For Monday, I also fried some squash that had been given to us yesterday but if I hadn't had that, I'd have fried some potatoes or made mashed potatoes. I also cut up fresh tomatoes and cucumbers.

So that takes care of Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday I will not be home...so dh is on his own...ds and I will be at a family reunion.

For Thursday I will make a delicious, yet easy pork tenderloin. About $10 for a 2 pack of that and it will also give me left overs which I will chop up for bbq sandwiches for Friday night.

I love meats that can be stretched for 2 nights for different things.

meatloaf, baked potatoes w butter, salt, sour cream, and fresh chives, fresh steamed veggies

turkey burgers, fries, fruit salad (we just chop up whatever fresh fruit we have on hand, I don't like to add anything to it)

southwest salad (salad greens, black beans, corn, tomatoes, dressing made w salsa and ranch mixed, crushed tortilla chips on top- you can add chicken and omit beans).

omelets and bacon

greek chicken over orzo (Chicken, black olives, artichokes, tomato sauce, tomatoes, seasonings, etc cooked together, served over orzo w feta cheese sprinkled on top.)

mexi chicken skillet over rice(chicken, salsa, and black beans, mixed together and served over rice w sour cream, guac and fresh cilantro, it would still taste good without the beans).

spaghetti and french bread

7 layer burritos (refried beans, spanish rice, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced black olives, and sour cream layered in tortillas, we like guacamole also. You could do seasoned taco meat instead of refried beans).

sub sandwiches, chips and fruit (I just put out sub buns, various deli meats, cheeses, veggies, and dressings and condiments and everyone makes their own)

bagel sandwiches w lox, cream cheese, sliced tomatoes (probably an acquired taste)

rigatoni and italian sausage

salmon patties, seasoned brown rice, broccoli

kabobs w chicken and veggies marinated in Newman's light italian dressing, baked potatoes

Chicken w bbq sauce, corn bread, green beans

tacos

Salmon, seasoned brown rice, steamed veggies

All of these are pretty quick- I don't do long dinner prep!

ETA: I get big bags of chicken breasts and 4 packs of ground turkey from Costco, and can stretch that pretty well with these meals.

Mmmm... this sounds so yummy, thanks Jean. I often toss a roast or pork roast in the crockpot with a bottle of bar-b-que sauce and then shred it for sandwiches, it's a family favorite. I just know my kiddos will love your chicken!

Great thread! I need to bookmark this one. I haven't read all the way through, so these may have been mentioned, but here are two sites I love. The first is a free menu plan site, and I think for the most part, she avoids the whole "can of cream soup/rotisserie chicken" thing (which is a big deal for me, not so much for others, probably). Her recipes are pretty simple, too. I'm making the mandarin orange pork chops this weekend.

http://www.menus4moms.com/kitchen/weeklymenu/2008/080721.php

This other is just a wealth of ideas:

http://orgjunkie.com/menu-plan-monday

Good luck! I need to start sticking to the ones I make, I really do!