Menu

Princeton Review: Top 20 Party Colleges/Universities. Your thoughts?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/21/living/west-virginia-party-school/index.html

Here's the link. I noted that no schools from Michigan made that list and I'm sure it was because they were looking at uni's with larger student bodies. However, C.M.U. here in Mich has a pretty bad reputation for partying - it's a regional state U. When I was in high school, way back in the mists of pre-history :D - Ferris State, another regional U, was the party dog and it's reputation was NOT good.

No offense to Florida fans, but I have a niece and a nephew that graduated from Florida State and WOW their stories are legendary. But, that represents the antics of just two individuals, so I don't know if the reputation is deserved or not.

Thoughts? This is college AP time, college visit time for MANY of the moms who have juniors and seniors for 2012/2013 and I thought it would be a good discussion to open. I thought about opening this on the College Board, but that tends to be frequented by a fairly small set of homeschooling parents and thought there would be wider imput from the general board.

Parrothead, Maine made that list and was the only school with a student body under 15,000 that did. Your observations?

Faith

Interesting. I was surprised by some on the list. I thought for sure U of Delaware would be on the list, since that what I was told...but that was back when I was looking at colleges, and we won't discuss how many years ago that was!

Interesting. I was surprised by some on the list. I thought for sure U of Delaware would be on the list, since that what I was told...but that was back when I was looking at colleges, and we won't discuss how many years ago that was!

I went to the U of D my freshman year (also many years ago...I grew up in Wilmington) and there was plenty of partying going on. I think I had more fun being the sober one...people are absolute idiots when they're smashed. :lol:

The school I transferred to didn't make the list though. BYU is nowhere in sight. :D Oh yes, we make that other list. The stone cold sober list. We always seem to be number one for that. :lol:

Parrothead, Maine made that list and was the only school with a student body under 15,000 that did. Your observations?

My best friend has two kids at UMO (U of Maine -Orono). The reports of what her two young men battle daily make me nervous for dd's future. So, no. It doessn't surprise me. My friend actually purchased a house off campus (in this market it was cheaper than renting an apartment and she has 6 kids who will eventually live in it.) for her boys to live in a cleaner environment.

I do often times consider steering dd toward UMPI to avoid some of the carp. But it would be a long daily commute.

Edited by Parrothead

We've noticed that there is more of a need for chem free housing than available at many colleges. It's not so uncool now to make that choice but change takes time. There are more services for students in trouble than for students who want to stay out of trouble.

The two Ohio universities have *barely* over 15,000 each. They are some of the smaller universities in Ohio.

They did peg the Ohio uni (OU) that is known to be the wildest. I think that's probably largely due to a once yearly event, though, attended by students from across the state.

Many of my cousins go through Ferris. One is there right now with his girlfiend, who is also like family. They are about as straight-laced as you can get, and they are getting along. I don't think Ferris' reputation has changed, though. It is "the party school" for Michigan.

I went to the U of D my freshman year (also many years ago...I grew up in Wilmington) and there was plenty of partying going on. I think I had more fun being the sober one...people are absolute idiots when they're smashed. :lol:

Yikes, so, it's not just a rumor. It's on Ds's list b/c of their involvement with many local institutions like Winterthur.

The school I transferred to didn't make the list though. BYU is nowhere in sight. :D Oh yes, we make that other list. The stone cold sober list. We always seem to be number one for that. :lol:

Yes, I'd like to see the stone cold sober list, and the lukewarm list. I'd also be interested to see a list of the best 'Christian' party colleges. I know they're out there. :lol: I've heard rumors from the kids attending, meanwhile their parents tell me how happy they are that Ds or Dd is at a Christian school.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/21/living/west-virginia-party-school/index.html

Here's the link. I noted that no schools from Michigan made that list and I'm sure it was because they were looking at uni's with larger student bodies. However, C.M.U. here in Mich has a pretty bad reputation for partying - it's a regional state U. When I was in high school, way back in the mists of pre-history :D - Ferris State, another regional U, was the party dog and it's reputation was NOT good.

No offense to Florida fans, but I have a niece and a nephew that graduated from Florida State and WOW their stories are legendary. But, that represents the antics of just two individuals, so I don't know if the reputation is deserved or not.

Thoughts? This is college AP time, college visit time for MANY of the moms who have juniors and seniors for 2012/2013 and I thought it would be a good discussion to open. I thought about opening this on the College Board, but that tends to be frequented by a fairly small set of homeschooling parents and thought there would be wider imput from the general board.

Faith

My Alma Mater made #2 on the list :tongue_smilie: Times have changed or maybe pharmacy students back in the 80's just didn't know where the parties were ;)

Well, I am a WVU alum here and we have been on that list somewhere for as long as I can remember. :001_rolleyes: I never attended any other college, so I can't even compare, but I do remember *hearing* that WVU was quite the party school back when I attended. Of course, I know nothing first hand about that. :D

All kidding aside, now that I'm a grown up, I really wish that WVU would get their act together and get themselves OFF of that list. There are a lot of wonderful things about that school and I hate that "partying" is what we are known for. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, I'd like to see the stone cold sober list, and the lukewarm list. I'd also be interested to see a list of the best 'Christian' party colleges. I know they're out there. :lol: I've heard rumors from the kids attending, meanwhile their parents tell me how happy they are that Ds or Dd is at a Christian school.

Hmmm....I have a niece that just graduated and one still there and the stories they tell are hair-raising so my guess is that if there were a "Christian Party School" list, Spring Arbor University (Free Methodist) might make the cut. But, again, that's just two kids. However, I have a nephew who graduated from there in 2005 and his comment back then was, "The morals of this university are sinking at a world-record pace!"

Faith

We've noticed that there is more of a need for chem free housing than available at many colleges. It's not so uncool now to make that choice but change takes time. There are more services for students in trouble than for students who want to stay out of trouble.

A college administrator told me that lots of colleges are reluctant because they think substance-free (ok, maybe the conversation went downhill from there, because that term made me giggle) housing doesn't work. He argued that too many kids are there only because their parents forced them to be, so they use "substances" anyway. It still seemed to me to be better than nothing, but what do I know?

I decided not to pay attention to those rankings when I showed up for my first year of college only to be informed that our university had just made the list of Most Unattractive Female Students. Well! :)

ALthough not on the list as a party school, they mention Providence College as being #1 for hard liquor use in the article. I had to laugh because when I was in school, I had several friends at PC, and when we went to visit, there was always a fully stocked bar in their apartments. Not just a cabinet with alcohol, but off-campus apartments with actual bars, stools, and shelves behind the bar loaded with liquor built into the living room of the apartments. These were not frat houses either, just regular apartments.

A college administrator told me that lots of colleges are reluctant because they think substance-free (ok, maybe the conversation went downhill from there, because that term made me giggle) housing doesn't work. He argued that too many kids are there only because their parents forced them to be, so they use "substances" anyway. It still seemed to me to be better than nothing, but what do I know?

I decided not to pay attention to those rankings when I showed up for my first year of college only to be informed that our university had just made the list of Most Unattractive Female Students. Well! :)

It's so crazy. If they are 18 it's all illegal anyway.

Now about that unattractive student thing :toetap05: I'm glad you got in there and changed the ratings!

My dh works at Ohio U, number 3 on the list. That school has had a hard partying reputation for as long as I can remember. Their big blowout is a several day long event at Halloween.

However, I can't really say that OU seems to be much more party oriented than the LAC I attended nearby. IME, the party life is available at pretty much all colleges and universities, regardless of how legal it may be.

What bugs me about OU is that the students (and some faculty) seem to be proud of the designation. They seem to want to perpetuate that reputation. For example, each year when the time changes in the fall and the bars have to shut down an hour earlier than usual, the kids get their panties in a bunch and protest, achieve several misdemeanor violations, the occasional property destruction, etc. Oh, please...if a person is such a heavy drinker that losing one hour of bar time is that big of a deal to them, then they have much larger issues than their civil (or consumer) rights being infringed upon.

Another example is that OU hosts a Mother Daughter weekend event each year. Sounds innocuous enough, right? Unfortunately it has turned in large part into a weekend of drunken debauchery for both parent and child. Gee, let's go to Mommy and Me hour at the local strip club! Dh each year brings home hair raising tales from this weekend. Certainly all students don't participate, and I'm sure some moms just come in for the weekend to take their daughters to lunch and on a shopping spree. But more colorful pairs are the ones that make the news.

My dd will most likely attend OU, due to free tuition since dh works there. It is a good school with many solid academic programs. A great education is there for the finding, but only if the student can lift their head out of their cups and seek it.

Well, I am a WVU alum here and we have been on that list somewhere for as long as I can remember.

I went out on a couple of dates with a guy who went to WVU. The stories he told stunned me, and we certainly had some partying at my school.

I went to UD and checked to see if it was on the list. We did some monumental partying ;), but I would not say it was out of hand like I heard from friends at other colleges.