Menu

EPIPHANY!!!

jenL

I JUST discovered that ds9 is VSL learner!!! This is HUGE for both of us!

It came after trying a review lesson for spelling today, and finding that he has forgotten almost all of an entire year of spelling (AAS 3). Although I was calm with him, I was freaking out inside! Spelling is SO, SO hard for this child whereas everything else is easy. I thought AAS was our answer. He does well enough while IN the lessons, but carry-over has always been an issue.

After some thread searches on here in the midst of my angst, I stumbled upon VSL info within spelling threads. I think knowing this is going to make all the difference! I'm a sequential learner who has been working really hard to tweak schooling for my "quirky" son over the years, and now I get why he is this way. I feel relieved and also saddened that it's taken me so long to figure it out. At least now I can move forward.

I LOVE THESE BOARDS!!!! Thank you to all the VSL mamas who have shared their stories on here! Off to do some more research & to possibly find a new spelling program...

I read some info about VSL after reading your post. My daughter is struggling, and I just can't put my finger on WHY. She fights me in almost everything we do for school. It is so frustratingn this is our third year, and I see no improvement in her attitude. We did first grade work last year, but if sent her to ps tomorrow, I would put her in first grade. She's smart, but she hates to be wrong. She would rather not even try to anything then to get a wrong answer. Her four year old sister could easily pass her up in reading this year because she just picks out the easiest or most familiar books to read. Some of the VSL signs resonated, but I didn't get an overwhelming sense that VSL was the issue. So, sorry to hijack the thread. I'm just facing a lot of discouragement right now...

I read some info about VSL after reading your post. My daughter is struggling, and I just can't put my finger on WHY. She fights me in almost everything we do for school. It is so frustratingn this is our third year, and I see no improvement in her attitude. We did first grade work last year, but if sent her to ps tomorrow, I would put her in first grade. She's smart, but she hates to be wrong. She would rather not even try to anything then to get a wrong answer. Her four year old sister could easily pass her up in reading this year because she just picks out the easiest or most familiar books to read. Some of the VSL signs resonated, but I didn't get an overwhelming sense that VSL was the issue. So, sorry to hijack the thread. I'm just facing a lot of discouragement right now...

You need to read Mindset, by Carol Dweck. It's a long road to try to change their attitude to challenge, but it can be done.

I'm confused as to why AAS isn't working well? I thought it was pretty visual.

Have you considered that he might have dyslexia? That would come into play with the spelling and visual/spatial aspect.

http://dyslexia.learninginfo.org/symptoms.htm

and

http://www.dys-add.com/dyslexia.html#anchorSymptoms

Edited by mom2samlibby

Have you considered that he might have dyslexia? That would come into play with the spelling and visual/spatial aspect.

and

:iagree: My son is a very definite VSL and AAS works great for him since he can see the words, build the words and, most importantly, see the words.

and

Oh yes, I've gone down the possible dyslexia road with him and that is what prompted me to use AAS. I used to be a Wilson Language teacher, working with dyslexic kids, and I was seeing tendencies in my son. I didn't want to do all the planning required of Wilson since it's very intensive, so I chose AAS since it's virtually the same (both are OG based) and it required little planning on my part. AAS is a phenomonal program for dyslexic kids. That is why I was nearly defeated when we sat down yesterday, and he hardly remembered anything from an entire year of spelling. It signified that something else was wrong.

Over time, I kept wondering if he was truly dyslexic because he had all these other tendencies that I couldn't quite pin-point and they did not fit the definition of dyslexic. 

Reading this solidified who he is after YEARS of wondering. It then led to hours of more research, and I now know that I definitely have a VSL child. This style is COMPLETELY foreign to how my brain works which explains why I was struggling with him. He also has ADHD Inattentive, so the two together have made for 4 long years of homeschooling. I can look back and see all the things I did wrong - curriculum, expectations, etc.

I am grateful that he forgot his spelling because it has opened doors for us with his schooling sooner rather than later.

I'm still not sure what to use for spelling now, but at least I know better how to approach things with him.

Have you considered LOE?

I looked into it briefly, but I definitely have to do more research on it. My initial thought was "no, this won't work" because MY brain does not learn that way, and I feel like I don't "get" the approach. Does that make sense?

Do you recommend me reading her book Uncovering the Logic of English first?

Also, we have a great writing curriculum that is visual, ds chose it based upon watching sample videos. It incorporates grammar. I really only need spelling, and it looks like LOE covers all of the LA subject together?

I am wondering if Apples and Pears would be as good as LOE while only covering spelling.

I've thought of Sequential Spelling, but hearing all the mixed reviews has me nervous.

It's hard to choose a curriulum that goes against how I learn because my initial thought is, "No, that isn't how you learn it" which leads me to thinking "it won't work". Inherently, I know that it just won't work for ME, but I still worry...

I need to reprogram myself, kwim?

I JUST discovered that ds9 is VSL learner!!! This is HUGE for both of us!

It came after trying a review lesson for spelling today, and finding that he has forgotten almost all of an entire year of spelling (AAS 3). Although I was calm with him, I was freaking out inside! Spelling is SO, SO hard for this child whereas everything else is easy. I thought AAS was our answer. He does well enough while IN the lessons, but carry-over has always been an issue.

After some thread searches on here in the midst of my angst, I stumbled upon VSL info within spelling threads. I think knowing this is going to make all the difference! I'm a sequential learner who has been working really hard to tweak schooling for my "quirky" son over the years, and now I get why he is this way. I feel relieved and also saddened that it's taken me so long to figure it out. At least now I can move forward.

I LOVE THESE BOARDS!!!! Thank you to all the VSL mamas who have shared their stories on here! Off to do some more research & to possibly find a new spelling program...

When I realized last year that my middle child was most likely a VSL and researched methods for teaching spelling to a VSL (I couldn't afford a shiny new curriculum, lol), I tried something new with her that made a *huge* difference. Every day she read each word on her list aloud, then spelled it aloud while writing each letter in the air with her hand. When I was going through her spelling test notebook and her spelling workbook this summer I realized I could tell the exact week that she started doing this - she went from failing every single test to missing one or two words each week, and in her workbook she stopped doodling everywhere and using sloppy, illegible handwriting. I don't know exactly what writing the words in the air does for her, but it was the key to teaching her spelling.

AAS is not really that visual OR that kinesthetic. It is partly, of course, and it's a good tool to demonstrate the rules by sliding tiles around to create words. But most if it is still rote memorization based on auditory learning and flashcards. The student learns the letter sounds by hearing them and responding to flash cards. The student "sees" the rules used with tiles, but then memorizes the rules with flashcards. The student is dictated the words, and writes them out. It is very heavily auditory, IMO. Of course a parent can adapt and add more, but the program as written is not as visual as it could be.

One thing I love about PAL is that the pictures and stories help kids remember. I wish I'd had the letter stories and phonetic farm when I was teaching basic phonics to my 11 year old. They had other stuff then but the reviews generally said it was better for kids to not rely on the "crutch" of a story. :tongue_smilie:

I have a weird kiddo. He can "memorize" by auditory channels (and can recite rules and things), but when he needs to use information he doesn't refer to his auditory memory of the info unless prodded. He has no visual memory for spelling either, so he is kind of screwed. It's been very challenging to teach him to spell. AAS was way too heavy on rules for my taste, and without a visual picture to attach the rules to, my son couldn't progress. Sequential Spelling and Apples & Pears didn't have enough rules.

I like the steps described in Spelling Plus for memorizing (chanting the spelling, writing it out, covering & writing from memory, tracing in the air) along with providing the rule(s) that apply to the word. It's a joint auditory/sequential (spelling the word and pronouncing for spelling), kinesthetic (creating a muscle memory of making the word), and rule-based approach.

• 7 months later...

Trying to dig up information to help my son and me. He is VSL with dyslexia and I can't, for the life of me, come up with a spelling program that will work. AAS has been recommended to us, but in looking through it, it is rule based. He's currently in 3rd grade and remembers no spelling rules that I am aware of. He has so much trouble with that - rules simply fall off him like water on a duck's back. I don't want to spend the money or frustration and time that it will take on a program that probably won't work. We have tried Christian Liberty Press' program, A Reason for Spelling and Dianne Craft. While I have seen a slight improvement with the latter two, it is not enough (4 months progress in 12 months time).

What will work?

FWIW, some weaknesses that happen to be common among VSLs can also turn out to be actual LDs and/or vision issues. If she's smart but struggling, this is an angle I'd certainly consider exploring. When input and/or output is difficult for processing reasons, completely unrelated to intellectual reasons, that can contribute to the attitude. Also, the "hates to be wrong" is a facet of perfectionism that is not at all uncommon among VSL, gifted, and twice-exceptional (2e, gifted wtih LDs) students. Just FYI...

If O-G based programs have not worked, definitely try Sequential Spelling. I would suggest actually using the program with the parent instructing instead of using it on the computer. Anyway, it worked here and gets my vote.

Megawords didn't work for us, but I will go ahead and toss it out there as another option.

HTH-

Mandy

http://www.dyslexia.com/library/silver1.htm#what

This link (it was linked above, but i'm linking again do you know what I'm talking about) describes my oldest ds nearly to the T. Except... "Their reading comprehension is usually much better than their ability to decode words." this part. he actually has it the other way 'round. He is an excellent reader and learned to read early and nearly effortlessly, but his reading comprehension, listening comprehension, vocabulary, basically the auditory processing parts need constant work.

Also I have found that repetition and spiral teaching methods help. He's also a great speller. (Which I credit to my using Sequential Spelling , and only Sequential Spelling, from day one. I'll see if I can replicate that assurance with my next child.) So it seems that one can be VSL and not have the spelling and reading challenges, but some other challenges such as my ds's auditory challenges.

I love love love SequentialSpelling. It seems to be either hated or loved, but imho it works. At first glance it seems as if it's it's just memorizing lists of unrelated words (which is one critique against it) but actually that's the farthest thing form the truth. Those words are planned out in a very specific order. If a parent put in the legwork to actively teach those words using the SS method I call color chunking (using three different colors to isolate patterns) and taught the spelling rules as they came up naturally in the program they would see it's value.

The number one reason SS fails is when the words are given orally and the child is expected to write them and when they can't---parents don't understand why or what to do and they give up. The only complaint I have about SS is it's lack of in depth teacher material to hold the parents hand in teaching this method. I just got it at first glance, but I think some teacher material would be great. If there were more in the teacher guide to help the parent teacher more may see the value in this program.

You have to sit down and teach every single word, no matter how small. So your kid can spell "in" great! but sit down and write that in red and teach the sound and then build onto it anyway. That root pattern needs to be taught, as a pattern as well as a word. Kids can then see the root pattern in most words. Eventually as the child begins to understand how the patterns work, they can begin to spell without so much teacher involvement. But as soon as I see my ds hesitate out comes my three colored pencils and together we break that word down.

Anyway. Sequential Spelling always gets my vote too. ;)

ARRRG!

VSL Learning seems like it would fit my dd, but she LOVES to listen to me read and to podcasts and such. While I totally zone out into my own world (even when I am I reading to her), she will pick up so much from audio. However, put her in a classroom, and forget it.

Also, she doesn't just take things apart, she pulverizes them into dust, so putting them back together is never an option.

Are there professionals that will tell you what type of learning your child is?

• 2 months later...

Trying to dig up information to help my son and me. He is VSL with dyslexia and I can't, for the life of me, come up with a spelling program that will work. AAS has been recommended to us, but in looking through it, it is rule based. He's currently in 3rd grade and remembers no spelling rules that I am aware of. He has so much trouble with that - rules simply fall off him like water on a duck's back. I don't want to spend the money or frustration and time that it will take on a program that probably won't work. We have tried Christian Liberty Press' program, A Reason for Spelling and Dianne Craft. While I have seen a slight improvement with the latter two, it is not enough (4 months progress in 12 months time).

What will work?

Actually, AAS teaches 4 main strategies--phonetic, rules-based, visual, and morphemic, so it's not just rules-based. You might find this article helpful as it describes Effective Spelling Methods.

I'm kind or surprised that the VSL idea still has any traction. I thought the notion that some kids are auditory learners, and some are visual/spacial, etc., had more or less been disproven and discarded.

Well, maybe the experts have disproved/discarded, but 19+ years of living with and 12 years of homeschooling one extremely auditory-sequential learner and one extremely visual-spatial learner, I found it made a HUGE difference in what type of materials we used and how we went about teaching for DSs to actually be able to take in and then process the information being taught... :)

Just my inexpert experience. (LOL) (Makes me glad I'm no expert! :tongue_smilie: )