Menu

help me find something to read, for me, for fun

any one with reading suggestion for me -- i like historical fiction, not too much war and not too much sex.

I loved the Red Tent.

I do not want anything to deep and complex it is like home work -- i am reading other stuff that is deep (educational or faith related) I need a fun book -- easy to put down and pick up as life allows.

Anyone?

My go-to books are the Merlin books by Mary Stewart (and the Lord of the Rings books, but I think that's not what you're looking for). I also love The Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco. I'm currently reading Enchantment by Orson Scott Card, and that's been interesting. And I really enjoyed listening to the Brother Cadfael stories on audio--very quick, easy "reads," with both mystery and historical elements.

I loved The Red Tent too, couldn't put it down :D

My go-to books are the Merlin books by Mary Stewart (and the Lord of the Rings books, but I think that's not what you're looking for). I also love The Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco. I'm currently reading Enchantment by Orson Scott Card, and that's been interesting. And I really enjoyed listening to the Brother Cadfael stories on audio--very quick, easy "reads," with both mystery and historical elements.

I loved The Red Tent too, couldn't put it down :D

i just ordered The Name of the Rose off paperbackswap -- it looks great.

I loved Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. It is set in WW2 era, and talks about the Japanese concentration camps here in the US. No sex and no war. It is a nice relaxing read and Jamie's writing makes you feel like you are there.

That was a lovely book.

I adore historical fiction. I have a thing for England and specifically the Tudors and their ilk. Some good ones I have enjoyed recently:

The Illuminator

Portrait of and Unknown Woman

Innocent Traitor

Wolf Hall by Mantel

Have not yet read but recently rec by Randy Alcorn: Byzantium by Lawhead

You may want to do a search because there have been a number of great threads with historical fiction mentioned.

I've read the Name of the Rose 2x... loved it. but, I would not call it an easy read.

I agree... the movie was a travesty.

You said not deep and complex. :svengo: Let us know how it goes for you.

Really? I didn't find it that difficult at all. I read it the first time while traveling and zipped right through it! Huh, I'll have to look at it from a fresh perspective now. Sorry Aimee!

I just finished a nice fat novel from the library "lucky day" shelf. Do all libraries have those? The shelf is for copies of books that you'd otherwise be #38574 on the hold list for.

Anyway, good read, references to teA are general (rather than graphic), set in the early 1900s, not in any danger of becoming a classic but a fun late summer engaging novel.

The Shoemaker's Wife

also ordered

Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

Innocent Traitor: A Novel of Lady Jane Grey

I love paperbackswap.com

I really liked Year of Wonders, and People of the Book, too. I heard her on Diane Rhem talking about Caleb's Crossing, too.

I'm subscribing so I can keep coming back for new titles. :D

Laurie King's, "Mary Russell" novels. Start with, "The Beekeeper's Apprentice".

Or, there is always Dorothy Sayer.

i have read and like the Bee Keep Apprentice

is this order correct for the next 2:

A Monstrous Regiment of Women

A Letter of Mary

the moor

???

I HATE with an OVD passion getting books out of order :glare: sorry i know it is OCD but it is me :tongue_smilie:

People of the Book

Are you avoiding classics for this request? If not, I'm enjoying The Three Musketeers for the first time. :001_smile:

:iagree:

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie (a wonderful delight & treat of a book -- a book for book lovers)

The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje (gorgeous)

And, surprisingly, I'll also suggest a steampunk book, The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder. It's filled with historical characters (Sir Richard Burton is the main character) & a lot of historical detail. Fabulously done.

Coming out of lurkdoom to reaffirm why we are friends, these are a few of my favorite books! Now if I could just find time to read......

I really liked Year of Wonders, and People of the Book, too. I heard her on Diane Rhem talking about Caleb's Crossing, too.

I'm subscribing so I can keep coming back for new titles. :D

Have you read anything set in Amish country?? It's not historical fiction per se, as most are set in present day, but it has that feel due to the lifestyle. Many deal with faith or staying in the church/community.

Wanda Brunstetter is a good author, here's a series of hers I like: http://www.amazon.com/Daughters-Lancaster-County-The-Series/dp/1616266600/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345871258&sr=8-1&keywords=wanda+brunstetter+daughters+of+lancaster+county

Beverly Lewis has also written many titles.

I also loved The Red Tent. Good Harbor by the same author was also enjoyable.