Menu

Having a hard time with responsibility tonight (long)

Calvin is eleven which, of course, is young yet. But I'm feeling acutely the responsibility for his and Hobbes' education.

It's not that I'm directionless - it's all planned out in ludicrous detail. I can tell you what text books I'm using for the next five years (subject to change, of course, as requirements alter). And everything is going fine. The boys are progressing nicely. I've just increased Calvin's hours to encompass the kind of work I think he should be doing now.

It's just a weight on me tonight. There's no-one responsible but me. I'm really afraid of messing up. I didn't expect to feel like this after four years of home educating.

How do you all cope? One step at a time, I know, but what about these doubts? I don't have a religion, so it's just me. DH sympathises, reassures, but the doubts remain.

Thanks

Laura

Laura,

I worry more about people who DON'T feel that weight of responsibility. I also found that the burden gets bigger, not smaller, as you gain experience in homeschooling. The more you know, the more you know it matters greatly.

I sort of just embrace those moments of self doubt and go with it. It is an honest emotion like any other. It IS huge, it IS scary to think how much is riding on you and your commitment to see the job through. I think it is fine to say out loud that this is a big, heavy, scary responsibility.

My ds is also going into those "middle school" (or what we called "jr. high" when I was growing up!) years. I think there is a additional weight to knowing that their studies are starting to really "count" now. We've ramped things up a bit here too - increased the study hours, increased some accountability things (I am now testing in some subjects that I never tested in before), am requiring more independant work. There is an adjustment for both of us (maybe more for him because he doesn't see why things couldn't just go on as before :mad:).

When I start to feel overwhelmed, I sit back and take stock.

Is he on target with math using a good math program? check!

Can he diagram a sentence better than I could at his age? check!

Does he have a general overview of the flow of history that he is filling in with more detail now? check!

Can he express himself in writing for x amount of sentences/paragraphs? check!

Does he have a grasp of basic science principles and terminology? check!

Is he starting to get a grasp of basic Latin vocabulary, phrases and grammar? check!

etc.

Even though the checklist is generated by me, it is a more objective standard to measure against and that puts my fears to rest (until the next time I start to panic about it:p)

I've been homeschooling for nearly 8 years and I had doubts all along. In the 5th grade, I gave my kids a standardized test (CAT) and they did so well, I breathed a sigh of relief.

The doubts came back. I was worried in general, but I was also worried about math. I had heart surgery and serious heart problems afterwards and it took me a year to recover. We were way, way behind in math.

In the 7th grade (all 4 of my DC were taught at the same level), the DC finished Singapore 4B and I started using Saxon 5/4. That was too easy, so a week later I switched to Saxon 6/5. That was too easy, so a week later I switched to Saxon 7/6, and we got through 60% of the book.

It didn't help that in 7th grade, two of the DC stopped cooperating and frequently refused to do math, so we didn't finish 7/6.

In 8th grade, 3 of the DC started parochial school. Right off the bat, they had to take the Terra Nova. I was sweating bullets. I just knew the 2 boys didn't belong in 8th grade at a regular school and that my DD would have trouble in 7th grade math.

The DC did well on the Terra Nova -- they were in the top 10% (90th+ %-ile) over all, and in math I was shocked. They were at least in the 90th %-ile and my DD was in the 98th %-ile!

Two months later, 2 of my DC took the an admission test to get into a Catholic high school. The same results happened with that test.

So now I'm a big fan of standardized tests. Originally, I gave them to my kids to see where I had to concentrate on improving their education. Now I'm just breathing a sigh of relief that homeschooling worked for the three of them.

I am still homeschooling one DS who has always been a year behind the others in math at homeschool. He has problems with it -- developmental delays, I think. Anyway, he was tested last week at the PS to see if he does have learning problems or delays, especially in math.

He tested at above average for an 8th grader in math, 78th %-ile!!!!

Now I am having serious doubts about whether standardized test results are valid. I Googled that question. They seem to be valid.

So I am finishing this year feeling pretty darned pleased and not so worried that I am ruining my kids' educational prospects by homeschooling them.

I recommend standardized testing both to relieve doubts and to point out where weaknesses, if any, lie.

RC

In several of her books she express some interesting opinions regarding education. How she describes Mrs. Goddard's school, that Harriet attends in Emma, is funny and appropo.

"Mrs. Goddard was the mistress of a school - not of a seminary, or an establishment, or anything which professed, in long sentences of refined nonsense, to combine liberal acquirements with elegant morality, upon new principles and new systems - and where young ladies for enormous pay might be screwed out of health and into vanity - but a real, honest, old-fashioned boarding school, where a reasonable quantity of accomplishments were sold at a reasonable price, and where girls might be sent to be out of the way, and scramble themselves into a little education, without any danger of coming back prodigies."

Of course, it all depends upon you're goals. Mine are to provide my son's with a reasonable, useful, challenging education with out the danger of turning them into prodigies.

It's just a weight on me tonight. There's no-one responsible but me. I'm really afraid of messing up. I didn't expect to feel like this after four years of home educating.

I know of what you speak. There are times when the load simply seems too much. For me, because I have doubts because of my own poor education. I didn't have a measure in my experience by which to judge our efforts.

I'm with Kelli, though -- I worry more about those who don't feel the responsibility. "For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required" can apply here, I think. We're given a gift and an opportunity, and much is required of us. With the gifts that your children have in particular, your responsibility to nurture those gifts is even greater. So of course you feel the weight of it.

Find something objective to measure the success. Standardized tests are one way, though you might need to test "out of range" in order to get a true picture. We certainly can't compare with other kids -- that's what gets public schools in the US in trouble, IMO. There needs to be a standard to meet. But once you figure out what the standard *is*, continually looking to see if your goals are taking you where you want to go is the way to alleviate some of the stress.

Also, I would say trust yourself. Don't change up too much because of self-doubt. Don't over-pressure your child because of self-doubt. Just find a goal and tailor your work toward it.

It's a good idea. My only problem with standardised tests, whether British or American, is that school students will have spent a lot of class time on exam prep. That's not time I want to spend, so I wonder how accurate a measure I'm going to get.

I have used the Texas TAKS tests in the past, but have read reports about how easy they are, so have rather given up on that idea....

Laura

It's a good idea. My only problem with standardised tests, whether British or American, is that school students will have spent a lot of class time on exam prep. That's not time I want to spend, so I wonder how accurate a measure I'm going to get.

I have used the Texas TAKS tests in the past, but have read reports about how easy they are, so have rather given up on that idea....

Laura

If you have picked out excellent materials (and I know you have) and your boys are doing well within that curriculum, then you can rest assured that you are doing fine by them!

I think we are all looking at you and considering your posts from these years and wondering "What? What could Laura be worried about? She sounds like she has it all together!"

I think the self-doubt is normal for any homeschool parent who really wants to do this well!

I think we are all looking at you and considering your posts from these years and wondering "What? What could Laura be worried about? She sounds like she has it all together!"

I think the self-doubt is normal for any homeschool parent who really wants to do this well!

Perhaps we can never do enough to still those doubts.

On the other hand - maybe I don't actually use those texts. Perhaps I'm a fantasist. Maybe the boys spend all day playing Zoo Tycoon while I eat bonbons. Perhaps I don't have two kids with stupid names at all......

Laura

On the other hand - maybe I don't actually use those texts. Perhaps I'm a fantasist. Maybe the boys spend all day playing Zoo Tycoon while I eat bonbons. Perhaps I don't have two kids with stupid names at all......

Laura

I always suspected that. I was just playing along. :D

But do they EXCEL at Zoo Tycoon? As long as they excel at whatever it is they do all day, I am sure they will have a bright future.;)

But do they EXCEL at Zoo Tycoon? As long as they excel at whatever it is they do all day, I am sure they will have a bright future.;)

They've learned that moose really like weeping willow and that lions reproduce faster than you can build shelters for them. I've learned that a bonbon-induced bottom is highly achievable.

Laura

The only exam prep I ever did, or will ever do, is this:

1. Show them how to fill in the bubbles on the answer key and tell them to make sure the bubble is filled in darkly.

2. Tell them that on most, if not all, multiple choice questions, all but 2 of the responses are clearly wrong and if they don't know the answer, find the 2 that might be right and pick one.

My DD went to PS in grades 1-3. She said they spent 1/2 the time on exam prep because they took 1 test in mid-fall and another in the spring. They went whole weeks doing nothing but exam prep. To me, that is outrageous. How can the results show what the student has learned and where their weaknesses lie if so much teaching is geared toward taking a standardized test? That's probably a whole nuther subject.

Laura

what you've already heard. I have been homeschooling for ten years, and I understand the weight of all that responsibility. It only gets worse! LOL. When my oldest ds was in highschool, the weight was exponentionally greater. I wasn't just the teacher, I was the guidance counselor,too! I completely understand. But, I have learned (because I have graduated 2 now) to just take it one day at a time. It is a lot of pressure, but the rewards far outweigh that pressure. Now I can say, "Yep, I'm feeling it, but it's worth it." Kinda takes the pressure off a little. The pressure you are feeling just means you really "get" the task you have taken on. Now, just tell yourself, "It's worth it!":) There are many jobs that require a lot of responsibility, but you are doing the most fulfilling job there is. Enjoy the responsibility and don't let it discourage you.

I don't have a religion, so it's just me. DH sympathises, reassures, but the doubts remain.

I struggle with that responsibility sometimes, too. Doubt is usually fear in disguise. What helps me is to meditate on it, and explore why I feel the fear. Of what, exactly, are you afraid, Laura? (I'm not asking you to answer that here. Just ask yourself that question.)

Personally, I'm afraid that my son is sorely lacking interpersonal skills, but when I explore that fear I can recognise the truths & falsehoods behind it. I can then deal with my fears on those terms.

My doubts are created by my own sense of self. Upon deeper examination, they often have little to do with reality. It's an ongoing internal struggle for me. I'm especially sensitive about any issues involving my child. I find that processing it this way enables me to shift my perspective on it and to move on from it.

I know the feeling well. It hits me when I am least expecting it. I'll be hanging out washing on a lovely day and suddenly I feel. Oh no what am I doing? A few things have reassured me.

I decided to fill in a form on a website to search for the best private school for your child. I filled in the form checking the boxes of all the things I know I want to be a part of each child's ideal curriculum. So, hmm, philosophy, chess, and horse riding for Snufkin and electronics, and carpentry for Moomintroll. Of course they must be able to read whenever the choose, follow their own specific interests in horse anatomy and robotics. Oh, and I want them to learn German because their cousins are German. I didn't put all these thing on the form of course (many of them weren't even mentioned) but I did put in the reasonable ones (like languages and philosophy). All the schools in the UK, not one could provide what I consider to be the education my children deserve. Even if one's child is in school, you are responsible for the decisions someone else makes about your child's future.

If I ask my children they say the really love learning at home. I did well at school, but I know that for most of the time I was bored and not learning at all. I would have loved this education.

Yesterday I looked at a school science textbook for my daughter. It was dreadful. If she was in school she certainly would not be enjoying science. It was really a social education manual.

Little thing like this remind me that we are, for now at least, doing the right thing.

I am very lucky too to have a husband who has even fewer doubts than me!

I hope this is some help and comfort.

I love the book 'Homeschooling For Excellence' by David and Micki Colfax for inspiration on what a good high-school education looks like. It will really cheer you along.

By the way, I know I would have loved the sort of education and experiences you are giving your sons!

I am very lucky too to have a husband who has even fewer doubts than me!

Like Lorna, when I feel like I'm not doing enough, or I'm not good enough to do this; I look to my husband and he always laughs. We are both products of the GA/US school system (I was average and he was gifted), and we both hated it. Sure, if I had a ton of money I would be tempted (for my oldest) to go to a great private school but those too are few and a killer drive from my home. For the situation you are in, I'm sure your boys are doing great and the experience of living where you do, your travels, will add to their education as much or more so than any private/prep school could.

we've had a difficult time the last 3 months with ds#1. I got to the point of even mentioning PS as an option for this dc, but DH (who had been really wanting our dc to return to PS for the past few years) said that PS would only make the problem worse. So in a round-about way I have dh's seal of approval to continue to HS.

This month our dd went on a week-long scout canoe trip with senior scouts & venturers from all over NZ. She was the only HSer on the trip. The other teenagers either went to PS or boarding school. Dd came home convinced that she is recieving at least as good as, if not a better, education than those teenagers, even the ones in boarding school! This relieved my mind a lot as I was beginning to feel that I was failing her.

If you care enough to wonder if you're doing enough, you ARE doing enough.

JMHO,

Laura

Laura,

I had my kids take standardized tests last year (with a "z" ;-). We did no test prep at home. I did have them take a little four-hour test prep class, which was basically "here's how to take a test" for homeschoolers - they covered the rules, how to fill in the little bubbles, etc. Neither of my kids had taken any kind of test before.

They both did extremely well, placing better than 90th percentile.

With what you've posted about what your sons are doing, I would be very surprised if you did not get similar results, without spending time on test prep.

I had my kids take standardized tests last year (with a "z" ;-).

Up to now I've been happy to think about the boys' education in international terms. Given the dominance of US homeschoolers on the web, 'international' has been slanted towards the US.

That's fine - the boys are half American and have two passports each. But we are heading towards UK university entrance so I have started to choose more British materials (mostly Galore Park). I have still been using the TAKs tests, but testing ahead, and Calvin has been doing very well. But I think that US tests are not giving me the reassurance I need, as they just don't relate to the direction we are now taking.

So, I have ordered some UK standardised tests for both boys. I think I need to ground myself in one country to feel more secure, now that Calvin is getting older.

Thanks to all

Laura

I had my kids take standardized tests last year (with a "z" ;-)

You know Laura's British, so she spells everything funny. (Favourite, colour)

I'd bet the UK standardised test will give you a better assessment, especially because that would be more in line with your standards. Our US standardized tests are designed so that just about everyone can pass them.

Laura

Reading your first post, I was wondering what the problem was, it seemed to me you had your act together so much and I have a lot of respect for you.

You worry about standardized tests ... LOL. I honestly suspect your kids will anihilate the standardized tests. It's not just the Texas TAKS that's so easy... they all are. Well maybe the British ones are harder, I would hope they were, it's embarassing how easy the US ones are.

I'd bet the UK standardised test will give you a better assessment, especially because that would be more in line with your standards. Our US standardized tests are designed so that just about everyone can pass them.

I was just looking at some UK standardised tests and panicking because there were a few questions that I thought the boys couldn't get. Then I looked at the mark schemes and remembered that UK tests (unlike US ones) are not designed such that an average kid can do almost all the questions. An 'A' grade in the UK is traditionally set at a 70% mark.

Laura

You worry about standardized tests ... LOL. I honestly suspect your kids will anihilate the standardized tests. It's not just the Texas TAKS that's so easy... they all are. Well maybe the British ones are harder, I would hope they were, it's embarassing how easy the US ones are.

Book depository is winging some tests to me and I'll report back when the boys have taken them.

Laura

1. Show them how to fill in the bubbles on the answer key and tell them to make sure the bubble is filled in darkly.

Screw it. You tick the answer box quickly and move on to the next question. If you finish before time expires you can go back and darken in the circles. If you don't have time, that was the point of why you went through it so quick in the first place, now you have more answers done.

You'll have to close the book when time expires, but you can still darken the daggone circles in between tests while the test administer is prattling on about the rules for the next section.

And another thing, I was a college TA back in the day. We had scantron tests to run through the machine. I submitted a practice test where I just ticked the answers w/o filling the circles in completely. The machine correctly read every one of my ticks.

Those split seconds instead of 3-4 seconds spent on filling in circles can add up.

I think about it now and then, mostly because I don't know what dierction my kids are headed. If I was 100% sure they would be attending college in the States, I think I would feel more comfortable.. but not knowing, I don't know how it works if they decide to go somewhere in Europe, or even a branch school over here. I don't even know the standards for admittance in schools outside the US.

I think about it now and then, mostly because I don't know what dierction my kids are headed. If I was 100% sure they would be attending college in the States, I think I would feel more comfortable.. but not knowing, I don't know how it works if they decide to go somewhere in Europe, or even a branch school over here. I don't even know the standards for admittance in schools outside the US.

I can give you a precis of US vs. UK qualifications if you like. I can't help with other European countries though.

Laura

It would be great if you could email me that! We're not to the point of highschool yet, oldest is in 4th), but it doesn't take much to keep me up at night -- even far-future projections, lol. And the local schools (gradeschool and highschool) offer so many programs -- American, British, IB -- you wonder how much it matters down the road.

Kate

filfilksq@yahoo.com

Oh no, maybe it's because my kids are younger but I've not had any doubts or worries about the enormity of hs. Maybe those feelings come when the kids are older?

Maybe I'm too green? :D

My current stress may not be entirely homeschool related, however - I am constantly on the road at present, with some big family decisions coming up. It's going to be a tough year in general.

Laura

But don't you find homeschooling reassuring in this situation? I know when we moved here it was the one thing I *didn't* stress about -- having to find a new school, etc. etc. I think it went a long way in helping my kids adjust to a new culture, their "base" was the same, but the outside things changed. They had the continuity.

Yes, it's comforting in the continuity of their education sense. It's the adapting to a new environment and/or a new language that's the more troubling part. I know it can be done and we've done it. But it's real work, you know. Gotta have thick skin to be an expat, especially if you don't mingle much with the expat community.

My kids are about the same ages, 12 & 8. We have been homeschooling for 8 years. I think for me, it has to do with realizing my oldest will be in highschool soon.

We were just out to dinner with friends last night and I was telling them how hard it is to homeschool because I can't blame anyone else if my kids fail academically (although I believe this is a lie that I have led myself to believe, but it still feels real.) For example, my friends daughter is doing poorly in third grade, but of course she has a "bad" teacher who has it out for her daughter. I can't use that excuse, although I'm not saying her excuse isn't valid.

I have even decided to have my kids take the Stanford Acheivment Test this year. My reasoning is that I want to see the gaps they have and the areas where they are doing well. But now I am more worried than ever. I am afraid they won't do well on the testing at all. But I think it comes down to pride for me. I wonder what people will think of me if my kids don't do well. I just keep telling myself, "It's not about me!"

I just have to remember that I am not in control. When everything is said and done, my children will be responsible for themselves and the choices they make despite what I have or haven't done. My responsibility is to do the best I can in the job I have been called to do.

Your family is blessed to have a mom and teacher who cares so deeply for them.

Calvin is eleven which, of course, is young yet. But I'm feeling acutely the responsibility for his and Hobbes' education.

It's not that I'm directionless - it's all planned out in ludicrous detail. I can tell you what text books I'm using for the next five years (subject to change, of course, as requirements alter). And everything is going fine. The boys are progressing nicely. I've just increased Calvin's hours to encompass the kind of work I think he should be doing now.

How do you all cope? One step at a time, I know, but what about these doubts? I don't have a religion, so it's just me. DH sympathises, reassures, but the doubts remain.

Thanks

Laura

Laura,

No matter what you're doing, it's WORLDS better than most PS kids get.

This may make you feel better: My dd, adopted from India at age 8 (in 2003) could not read or write when she was eight. She couldn't name colors or count to ten in any language. Because of her initial issues with attachment, we sent her to school (even though we were hsing our oldest at the time, and intended to hs her, too). She was very far behind her age peers, but the school tried to put her in third grade with the kids who'd been speaking English for eight years, who could read, and who could count and name colors. They balked when we asked for kindergarten, b/c it didn't fit their "box." So, despite her lack of academic skills in any form and a background of poverty and slum life, they insisted on putting her in second grade. Again -- this was because it suited their mold, not because it was best for dd.

Four years later, dd can read and write and is doing amazingly well, all in all. She's in fifth grade and 12 yrs old, reading at the third grade level, though, so we asked the school to add some remedial reading/vocabulary instruction. They refused, because "she's not failing." She works her butt off and gets decent grades, so they won't help. She can limp along in school, and that's just dandy, according to them. We've been told specifically that the school system doesn't have to help her reach her potential. They only have to provide the basics.

Contrast that with the educational goals you've got for Calvin and Hobbes. Your doubts tell me that you'll do so much more than any brick and mortar school could do. You worry *because* your want the best for C&H. The school, on the other hand, doesn't doubt itself a bit. They accept mediocrity, and don't care if one student's potential is unfulfilled. Your doubts are normal and healthy, b/c you want the best for your kids. Still, don't forget that your "worst" (not that I think you're doing your "worst") will ALWAYS surpass the schools. ALWAYS.

Hugs,

Lisa

So, I have ordered some UK standardised tests for both boys. I think I need to ground myself in one country to feel more secure, now that Calvin is getting older.

Yes, that makes sense.

I have to admit, that after "talking" with you all this time, I'm curious as to how my boys would do if they took the GCSE tests.

Yes, that makes sense.

I have to admit, that after "talking" with you all this time, I'm curious as to how my boys would do if they took the GCSE tests.

The difference is that they are short or long answer written tests, rather than multi choice. This page, from a school that deals with this issue frequently, seems to give some authority for the comparison.

http://www.runnymede-college.com/registration.html

In the UK, the GCSEs would normally be followed by A levels, which are rough AP equivalents, but again they are essay based.

Laura