Menu

More from me about food/dinner. Then I promise nothing else for 8 months

I have 5 red potatoes, one red pepper, two roma tomatoes, one leek that need to be used today. I have other things to go with it but I need to use those things tonight. I thought maybe potato-leek soup, but the tomatoes are throwing me off.

So if you were vegetarian what would you make for dinner with those items?

I have 5 red potatoes, one red pepper, two roma tomatoes, one leek that need to be used today. I have other things to go with it but I need to use those things tonight. I thought maybe potato-leek soup, but the tomatoes are throwing me off.

I would roast the potatoes and if I had a can of tomato sauce to go with the tomatoes, I'd make red pepper soup.

Soup:

Cook the tomatos down and then cream in the blender. Return to pan with sauce, finely chop red pepper & leek and add to tomato sauce, allow to simmer for about an hour stirring occasionally to make sure nothing is sticking. Hint of garlic if you like.

Very, very savory and a nice meal with a backed potato.

Faith - not a vegetarian but makes some vegetarian meals

we love scalloped potatoes with leek, so that's what i'd do with those two things. i'd add cheese. then i'd do a sliced tomatoes with bell pepper and a few leeks as a second dish, because we always love choices. if you had a cucumber, you could puree the tomatoes, bell pepper and cucumber with a few of the leeks and some garlic and make gazpacho :001_smile:

now i'm thinking.....

ann

Potato leek soup with a tomato salad.

Me, too.

Or roast the potatoes and leek and toss them on top of a salad. (I use roasted potatoes instead of croutons)

Make a quiche or a frittata with roasted potatoes and sautéed leek and pepper, served with tomato salad tossed with a little balsamic, olive oil, and whatever herbs you have on hand.

(and since when do we not like to talk about food??)

OK. Never mind. I read that as 5 tomatoes and 2 potatoes. lol Soup? A minestrone -type soup has both potatoes and crushed tomatoes. The pepper would also be fine. Do you have a can of beans or a little pasta? Throw it in. Saute the leek and some garlic as a base.

Might you have a mozzarella log or ball in the fridge? (Or have dh pick some up on the way home? ;)) You could do caprese. Any basil in the garden? Salt, pepper, oilive oil.

If not, I would consider pasta. You can saute the leek, with the chopped pepper, add some crushed garlic, When soft, crush the tomatoes, add a little cinnamon, maybe a drop of sugar or honey, simmer, and make sauce.

Edited by LibraryLover

Nobody's feelings will get hurt! We all just talk to talk about food. I roasted red potatoes & summer squashes the other night. Delish.

I have not counted a single carb all summer, and so now everything I wear is too tight.

Crud. But oh, summer food! Chowders, crab cakes, clam boils! And chillded CHardonnay. That doesn't help. :tongue_smilie:

Ack! You want me to say?

Oh, but I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by not picking their idea.

(Pssst: Going with the roasted in olive oil. I"m going to make cinnamon carrots for a side and a green salad.)

Yum!

Are we all so attached to our own ideas that we'd be offended when spitballing ideas for what to do with a bunch of produce? Gee, I hope not. That would really throw a wrench in my food idea trolling.

We slice tomatoes and serve as a side dish with salt and pepper.

My middle daughter loves to cut them in half, scoop out some of the seeds, stuff with feta and mozarella and broil for just a couple of minutes.

I was on a bender of baked tomatoes and eggs a few weeks ago: core and scoop out the seeds, toss in a spoonful of pesto, crack an egg on top, and bake on 400 for 20-30 minutes. Tasty.

Nobody's feelings will get hurt! We all just talk to talk about food. I roasted red potatoes & summer squashes the other night. Delish.

I have not counted a single carb all summer, and so now everything I wear is too tight.

Crud. But oh, summer food! Chowders, crab cakes, clam boils! And chillded CHardonnay. That doesn't help. :tongue_smilie:

Mmmmmmm. I love ALL of that. I've been enjoying Mad Housewife sweet white (like a moscato), very chilled, nice with salad. Or, you know, when you're making scalloped potatoes. :D

Potato leak soup with a raw salad made with the tomatoes and red pepper (do you have parmesan cheese and/or Italian flavored meat?)

ETA:

I would make potato-leek soup and serve the tomatoes on the side, sliced with some balsamic vinaigrette.

same basic idea :)