Menu

Crayons

janie_ranae

I've played around with crayons a bit.

I no longer have a local source for Prang crayons and I miss them, but the shipping is dear. They tend to break in shipping, so I need to buy multiple boxes and I just haven't found anywhere yet that I want to order from. The soy is a better product than petroleum wax and the color choices are based on the Prang color wheel. I think Crayola is starting to revert more to the Prang color wheel again, which is good news to me.

Faber-Castelle 24 is good. Don't buy the 12 pack. It has no purple. I don't have a sharpener for them though.

Over the years I have used the plastic wax Crayola Twistables alot. They can be sharpened to a nice point with a regular pencil sharpener, and erase with a hard eraser. I just hate wasting all those plastic holders! I wish I could refill them.

At first I was gaga over Stockmar, but they smudge all over the paper never mind my hands.

Crayons are my favorite media to use with students, and I am constantly looking for lessons and ideas that teach advanced art with crayons.

I bought some beeswax crayons on Amazon that my kids just loved (me too!) http://www.amazon.com/Faber-Castell-129024-Faber-Castell-Beeswax/dp/B004JA7M4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344699522&sr=8-1&keywords=beeswax+crayons

I haven't used the Stockmar, so can't compare, but these were lovely. Nice and thick too.

I also love oil pastels--but they can be messy. :)

That's the Stockmar set I have. I saved and waited over a year to buy them and thought I was going to love them so much. They smear though. The FC beeswax are so much cleaner. I got my FC crayons at Amazon, but they are even cheaper at Rainbow.

Prang flake less than Crayola; and have light, medium and dark red, blue, green, orange, yellow and purple; so you can teach monochromatic color schemes.

Teeniebeenie, I'll check the Prang prices more often at Amazon. Thanks for the tip.

I adore Prang crayons. Every once in a while Amazon puts them on a deep discount. I try to stock up then.

Right now they are $2.09 with free Prime shipping. There is a coupon to clip (Look under special offers) to get 50 cents off, bringing the item total to $1.59 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017D9HN0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I wanted to buy 2 boxes, but I had to do two separate orders so that I could apply the coupon to each pack. I'm sure Amazon will combine them when they ship, anyhow.

I've never tried these before but bought them on your recommendation!

Right now they are $2.09 with free Prime shipping. There is a coupon to clip (Look under special offers) to get 50 cents off, bringing the item total to $1.59 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017D9HN0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I wanted to buy 2 boxes, but I had to do two separate orders so that I could apply the coupon to each pack. I'm sure Amazon will combine them when they ship, anyhow.

I've never tried these before but bought them on your recommendation!

That looks to be the best price for the 24 packs.

There is a CASE (12 boxes) of the 64 pack for $22.67 (free shipping), but there is a review from 2 years ago saying they received a box instead of a case. That might have been a different company, or who knows what. Amazon did refund, so it's risk free, but it would tie up cash for awhile. Hopefully next month I can try ordering this case.

Also beware that over the years there have been different recipes. There was an all soy recipe that has been discontinued that was really good, that was sold along side a petroleum based recipe, that has also been discontinued. The current recipe is part soy and part petroleum. Sometimes old crayons pop up for sale whether they are listed correctly or not. Sometimes it's hard to know what you are getting, especially when on sale. They are all good, but the older petroleum are my least favorite.

I'm really itching to get some 64 packs here. I want to buy multiple boxes at the same time because I expect a couple broken crayons and I want to be able to mix and match complete sets. When teaching color theory, it's important to use complete sets. Then I put the broken crayons into sets that I leave out for young visitors, or for friends to grab when planning activities with their nieces and nephews, or for crafts.

being a former kindergarten teacher, I know that RoseArt crayons are cheaper, but also break easily, the colored pencils do too. While they are cheaper in price, I wouldn't recommend buying them to last a school year.

I don't buy RoseArt any more. They are better than some brands, but a definite step down from Crayola, and 2 steps down from Prang.

That looks to be the best price for the 24 packs.

There is a CASE (12 boxes) of the 64 pack for $22.67 (free shipping), but there is a review from 2 years ago saying they received a box instead of a case. That might have been a different company, or who knows what. Amazon did refund, so it's risk free, but it would tie up cash for awhile. Hopefully next month I can try ordering this case.

Please report back if you get them! That would be an awesome deal.

Also beware that over the years there have been different recipes. There was an all soy recipe that has been discontinued that was really good, that was sold along side a petroleum based recipe, that has also been discontinued. The current recipe is part soy and part petroleum. Sometimes old crayons pop up for sale whether they are listed correctly or not. Sometimes it's hard to know what you are getting, especially when on sale. They are all good, but the older petroleum are my least favorite.

I'm really itching to get some 64 packs here. I want to buy multiple boxes at the same time because I expect a couple broken crayons and I want to be able to mix and match complete sets. When teaching color theory, it's important to use complete sets. Then I put the broken crayons into sets that I leave out for young visitors, or for friends to grab when planning activities with their nieces and nephews, or for crafts.

Thanks for sharing all this info.

I'm looking forward to receiving the packs I ordered. We've never tried them, although I do have some Prang colored pencils. Anyhow, I think we'll have to do a side-by-side comparison with Crayola when they arrive.

I don't even like premium colored pencils because of the smearing, and choose cheaper ones with harder cores.

The FB beeswax don't mix as well as the Stockmar, but they do mix well enough for the Augsburg crayon "paintings". The Prang and the Crayola Twistables do blend a little bit, but not quite well enough for the Augsburg lessons.

The Stockmar smell the best and mix the best, but set off my OCD tendencies. Getting mess on my hands at least can be washed off, but I don't know what to do with a page I'm afraid to touch when it's completed :001_huh:

And like I said, there are 3 different recipes of Prang floating around on the market right now: petroleum, soy, and mixed.

I guess I got the mixed? The side of the box says, "Contains soy." It doesn't say what else are in them.

They do seem to go down smoothly -- makes me want to go color something! Although they smell a bit odd.

I guess I got the mixed? The side of the box says, "Contains soy." It doesn't say what else are in them.

They do seem to go down smoothly -- makes me want to go color something! Although they smell a bit odd.

I find that crayons smell odd the older they get. Crayola make me sick when they aren't new. Part soy means they are the newer ones. That is my preference, but I know some people look for the all soy ones.

I have also found crayons to be less flakey on rougher and softer papers. Slick and shiny printer paper isn't good with crayons. Many of the handwriting papers with midlines, that are a bit newspaper like, are good. Experiment with your papers. My printer is broken now, but I had already cut back on using print-outs, as I learned how it affected the crayons and pencils being used on it.

Edited by Hunter

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just used my Amazon reward points and got 12 boxes of crayons for about $2.00!!!! Woo! Hooooooo!!

I'm happy for you!:party: I adore the light, medium and dark main 6 colors to teach monochromatic color schemes. You might want to invest in color wheels and teach the students how to use them. I've yet to meet a student not fascinated with the color wheel and Prang crayons.

Watch out for that amazon order!!! I ordered it a few days ago and it was delivered just now and.......

they sent me only ONE box and not only that the box was opened inside the larger shipping box and the crayons were everywhere and broken. I am NOT happy! :glare:

I find that crayons smell odd the older they get. Crayola make me sick when they aren't new. Part soy means they are the newer ones. That is my preference, but I know some people look for the all soy ones.
Oh, that good to know. I wish I had bought a few more boxes, although each box was shipped in a separate package and the crayons were all loose upon arrival. I was surprised that they didn't combine them into one package, because I placed the orders within minutes of each other. I remember around Christmas Amazon was combining shipments for items ordered within a few hours of each other.

I have also found crayons to be less flakey on rougher and softer papers. Slick and shiny printer paper isn't good with crayons. Many of the handwriting papers with midlines, that are a bit newspaper like, are good. Experiment with your papers. My printer is broken now, but I had already cut back on using print-outs, as I learned how it affected the crayons and pencils being used on it.

Thanks for the tips!

Edited by Serenade

Watch out for that amazon order!!! I ordered it a few days ago and it was delivered just now and.......

they sent me only ONE box and not only that the box was opened inside the larger shipping box and the crayons were everywhere and broken. I am NOT happy! :glare:

That is awful! I have had that 12 pack in my cart since this thread was started, just waiting to hear if they would really send 12 packs. Who in the world would pay $18 (or $22, whatever it was) for 1 pack of crayons??? What a bummer, since it clearly states 12 pack of 64 count crayons! I am sure Amazon will make it right, though.