Menu

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just peeked at her facebook page and this lady's from Wisconsin. so I am glad I won't accidentally run into her in real life. good grief. I have too much to do to worry and get offended over other people's labeling of their school.

You know - I wonder if being from WI has something to do with it?

Our local HS group here drills it into our heads pretty well that if you use a public virtual school you are NOT a homeschooler - and you are not welcome. I had a good friend that left the group when they found out she was using k12. :(

Similarly - when I went to a motel meeting to check out the WI Virtual Academy, they also were adamant that we would not be homeschoolers - but that we would be official public schoolers, and that the parent of the student was only a 'learning coach' - not a teacher. :glare:

(Because the students would have a 'real' teacher that they would speak to on a weekly basis)

Yeah...we walked out of there pretty quickly :glare:

Okay, this is just one of those things that needs to go under "Mommy Playground Rules" for homeschoolers. You don't comment on when/how someone else is potty training, you don't deride someone for not feeding their toddler all organic food, and you don't tell someone whether or not they are a "real" homeschooler.:rolleyes:

Because no one asked your opinion in the first place.

Call me old-fashioned, but I only have friends on FB. ;)

I can't imagine anyone on my wall saying something so stupid.

One of my hsers took a couple of classes at a high school, and friends were curious as to how it went. Not a single friend was the least bit contrary about our experience. They were supportive, even.

I would pare down my 'friends' list if I were you.

Sigh. That is *so* not the way to gently explain your concerns about the possible implications of a label. She could have shared her thoughts without making it personal and slamming you.

Here in PA, *no one* is legally a "homeschooler". There's no such thing. You are privately tutoring, or home educating, or getting homebound instruction, or enrolled in a public cyber-charter school, or one of a bunch of other options. I *do* try to be careful with my language when writing about legal issues, but for social purposes "homeschooling" is a nice generic term that encompasses a wide range of family choices.

This makes me want to say that I think that if you are in a state that regulates you in any way - whether it requires you to test, or present a portfolio, or you are under an umbrella school, then you are not strictly a homeschooler either. :confused: There are some states that you submit the "hey all I'm homeschoolin' now" letter and then you are done - so maybe those states you ARE a homeschooler by the strictest definition of the word. KWIM?

ETA: So maybe *NONE* of us are homeschoolers - except those lucky few without any govt oversite (lol)

Edited by KatherineTheGreat

I agree they are homeschoolers - regardless of legal definition. The parent is in charge of the child's education and is the facilitator not the public school.
I haven't used the K-12 program here but have many friends who have and this (bolded) part is not the case from what I've been told. Here, the public school is in charge of the child's education and does facilitate/dictate just about everything from the books chosen to the assignments to attendance (which is strictly enforced). Are other state's K-12 programs different? The control of the public schools in our K-12 is the #1 reason I've been given for those who stop using it.

:bigear:

Edited by LuvnMySvn

I haven't used the K-12 program here but have many friends who have and this (bolded) part is not the case from what I've been told. Here, the public school is in charge of the child's education and does facilitate/dictate just about everything from the books chosen to the assignments to attendance (which is strictly enforced). Are other state's K-12 programs different? The control of the public schools in our K-12 is the #1 reason I've been given for those who stop using it.

How is the parent not in charge? Just because they have to use certain books and stick to a certain time frame? If you are following any curricula then you are using certain books and sticking to a certain time frame. In our state you are supposed to have nine consecutive months of instruction. So I'm not on 'my' time frame so to speak. Does that mean I'm not in charge?

It's my understanding that K12 can be used like any other curriculum - not a child reporting directly to a teacher via online. So in that case it's no different - IMO than using TOG or Heart of Dakota, etc. And all curricula is tweakable.

So the parent is the one making sure the work gets done and the student is learning. How is that not being in charge and facilitating the learning? A ps teacher isn't coming into the home and handling all that.

Or am I totally wrong about using K12 and the like? Like I said - it isn't a good fit for mine so I haven't gone past the initial research into it.

Call me old-fashioned, but I only have friends on FB. ;)

I can't imagine anyone on my wall saying something so stupid.

One of my hsers took a couple of classes at a high school, and friends were curious as to how it went. Not a single friend was the least bit contrary about our experience. They were supportive, even.

I would pare down my 'friends' list if I were you.

I was commenting on a friend's post and this woman was a friend of a friend.

this is true, but the parent is right there every day teaching, making sure assignments are done, dealing with the tears.

It's basically like using a particular curriculum while being tied to recording hours. You have a teacher who can answer quesitons but the day to day work is up to mom and dad.

Poor things.. it must be exhausting for them to keep track of all the 'real homeschoolers", 'real vegans, 'real AP' etc out there.

I know several ladies in my church who work endlessly determining who is or is not a 'real Christian'. :toetap05:

I'm glad thats not my job, whew.

:lol:

HSLDA cares. Therefore, the hs organizations with which they partner care. Haven't you seen the "Trojan Horse" video? There are lots of Christian hs groups that fall under their partnership umbrella. This stuff is included with the SOF stuff, IME, they are the same types of groups. HSLDA does not want homeschoolers of all stripes uniting; it would be against their financial interests.

Oh yes. Now that you say that I do remember that this is a big deal with HSDLA.