Menu

If you're eating LCHF, talk to me about dietary fats

I use:

coconut oil

olive oil

butter

bacon grease

flax oil

Then I also focus on foods with lots of fat, like deviled eggs with mayo, olives, bacon, higher fat ground beef, full fat cheese, heavy whipping cream for my coffee, flax muffins, and lots and lots of veggies with butter and cheese.

Now, I can't say that I am super knowledgeable about what exactly is the "healthiest" fats, other than coconut oil, olive oil, and flax oil which make up the bulk of my fats. All I can say is I feel really, really good and have lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. I do not allow uncontrolled calories, but have found it just isn't necessary. Like yesterday for lunch I had 3 eggs chopped, 2 tsp mayo, and 3 slices of bacon all chopped together to make an egg salad. It wasn't truly that much food in the bowl, but I was flat out not hungry for 6 or more hours after that. The fat keeps me so satisfied.

If you couldn't make the fat or oil yourself without a chemistry lab, then I say limit or avoid it. You could never make vegetable oil yourself, but you could make coconut oil, olive oil, beef tallow, lard, goose fat, butter, etc. Saturated fats are more stable than vegetable oils. Your cells are partially made of saturated fats, but I don't think they use unsaturated fats.

Based on what I've read saturated fats are better. Vegetable oils are generally not the best.

I use any animal based fats, coconut oil, and olive oil.

I will admit that I sometimes buy vegetable oils for certain things because I prefer the neutral taste with some things.

I'm not a purist by any stretch...;)

Same here. I was using veg type oil in mayo until I discovered the bacon fat mayo.

I like coconut oil for frying, and olive oil for drizzling.

I'm a newbie at this, but the Diet Doctor (www.dietdoctor.com) recommends any natural fats and natural fat sauces.

Mark Sisson (www.marksdailyapple.com) says pretty much the same thing. He also says if "hydrogenated" is on the label, run. Here is is post on fats.....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fats/#axzz22EdGix48

BTW, I start last Sunday, so this is my 10th day of eating lchf. As of this morning, I am down 10.5 lbs. I am not starving or light-headed or any of the things that may come to mind. I am also recovering faster from my workouts. Now, I have a lot of weight to lose, so I'm sure someone with less to lose will not show the same results. I am stoked though!!!

:) Beachy

btw, i start last sunday, so this is my 10th day of eating lchf. As of this morning, i am down 10.5 lbs. I am not starving or light-headed or any of the things that may come to mind. I am also recovering faster from my workouts. Now, i have a lot of weight to lose, so i'm sure someone with less to lose will not show the same results. I am stoked though!!!

:) beachy

congratulations!!!!!

We're not truly LCHF here since we eat a lot of legumes and starchy vegs, but we do try to limit the amount of refined process carbs that we eat. The HF we use are:

organic/grassfed butter/ghee

local olive oil

peanut oil (for frying)

coconut oil

bacon grease

palm oil shortening

We also eat lots and lots of eggs (3-4 dz/week for a family of 5), grassfed beef, heavy cream, full fat cheese, and whole, organic milk.

I'm trying to get my hands on some raw milk and butter, but haven't found any yet. Haven't tried flax oil; how do you typically use it?

EggsAvocados

Bacon (found it nitrate and nitrite free for a great price through a wholesale co-op)

Butter on everything

Make mayonnaise from rice bran oil (going to try the bacon fat though!)

Coconut oil (cook my eggs in it)

Heavy whipping cream (coffee, sauces for meats and veggies)

STAY AWAY FROM SOYBEAN OIL! (most mayonnaises and salad dressings)

Also, stay away from corn oil. One of the lchf books I read made the statement that when farmers are fattening up pigs and cattle for auction, they feed them........soybeans and corn! And when scientists want to induce obesity in rats, they feed them.....soybeans and corn. Obviously we are not going to consume them in these excessive quantities but there is something in them that does produce fat and rather quickly.

And agreeing with the pp that since I have started eating this way, I am almost never hungry. Very satisfied and can go 6 or more hours in between meals, even if all I have had was a salmon burger (no bun, just a smear of mayo) and 5 fresh green beans (sautéed in butter, of course) ;)

Just had bloodwork done and my triglyceride level was under 45, HDL, LDL and VLDL were all excellent so obviously, at least for me, eating saturated fat has been fabulous my overall health.

Edited by Debbie in OR

Which fats are good? Which ones should be avoided?

I'm seeing so much conflicting advice on the web, I'm interested in what the Hive LCHF eaters think.

I eat the following fats: avocados, coconut (coconut oil, coconut unsweetened shredded, coconut milk), olive oil, and some animal fat (eggs, grass-fed butter, pastured meats - I won't intentionally eat factory-farmed animal meat). I will sometimes also eat yogurt.

Basicaly the higher up the food chain you go, the mroe careful you need to be about the quality of your fat as toxins concentrate in fat stores.

BTW, I start last Sunday, so this is my 10th day of eating lchf. As of this morning, I am down 10.5 lbs. I am not starving or light-headed or any of the things that may come to mind. I am also recovering faster from my workouts. Now, I have a lot of weight to lose, so I'm sure someone with less to lose will not show the same results. I am stoked though!!!

Just a reminder to get enough salt. If you begin feeling low energy or begin getting muscle twitches or cramps you might need more salt.

Good job!

• 2 weeks later...
I use:

coconut oil

olive oil

butter

bacon grease

flax oil

Then I also focus on foods with lots of fat, like deviled eggs with mayo, olives, bacon, higher fat ground beef, full fat cheese, heavy whipping cream for my coffee, flax muffins, and lots and lots of veggies with butter and cheese.

Now, I can't say that I am super knowledgeable about what exactly is the "healthiest" fats, other than coconut oil, olive oil, and flax oil which make up the bulk of my fats. All I can say is I feel really, really good and have lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. I do not allow uncontrolled calories, but have found it just isn't necessary. Like yesterday for lunch I had 3 eggs chopped, 2 tsp mayo, and 3 slices of bacon all chopped together to make an egg salad. It wasn't truly that much food in the bowl, but I was flat out not hungry for 6 or more hours after that. The fat keeps me so satisfied.

:iagree:

I'm a newbie at this, but the Diet Doctor (www.dietdoctor.com) recommends any natural fats and natural fat sauces.

Mark Sisson (www.marksdailyapple.com) says pretty much the same thing. He also says if "hydrogenated" is on the label, run. Here is is post on fats.....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fats/#axzz22EdGix48:iagree:

WooT!!

Just a reminder to get enough salt. If you begin feeling low energy or begin getting muscle twitches or cramps you might need more salt.

Good job!

:iagree:

I DID have to up my salt.

Awesome, Beachy!

When I started, the weight just fell off as well. I've been doing this for a year now. Whenever I start not feeling so great- tired, hungry, craving, etc.- I re-evaluate and discover I'm slowing increasing carbs and lowering fat inadvertently. I get back on the wagon, and become a fat burning machine again! I find I am much more alert when I'm burning fat. I don't even miss carbs when I'm eating enough fat.

Good job!

Can you elaborate on this? What is it that our bodies are needing or why do we need extra salt? I'm experiencing these symptoms and didn't realize it could have been caused by lack of salt. I eat lower-carb (not low carb ... just not high-carb either) and try to get plenty of fat in my diet (and protein).