Menu

I want to use workboxes, but I'm out of $$

MiniBlondes

If I ask my DH for $60 for workboxes, I think he might just shoot me DEAD. :lol:

Does anyone have suggestions for an alternative solution? I'm okay with something inexpensive. I'm looking for solutions that are $20 or less... preferably less because a sista still needs some markers and colored pencils (and a bookcase). ;)

When I say I'm dangerously close to being dead... I am. He's been giving me 'the look'. Bless his frugal heart! :tongue_smilie:

Yeah I promised my DH that I was almost done buying homeschool stuff last paycheck. I didn't say it was the 2nd most expensive item left. I'll have to sell off some unused books to defray the cost a bit.

Anyway I've seen people use file folders, magazine holders (or DIY with some decorated cereal boxes), and pocket dividers (you can buy at walmart for >$5 for 8 tabbed ones). You can probably get the original plastic shoeboxes for about $20. My dollar store has them for a $1 each. The only issue with them is space and the books get bent.

Use cereal boxes: http://www.marthastewart.com/node/864398/@center/276989/organizing#/223185

I bought this file folder and might use it for an altered box system for my 9yo: http://www.dollartree.com/school-office-supplies/Storage-Organization-Filing/Durable-File-Organizers/291c437c437p320364/index.pro

And the Dollar Tree might have some containers to get you through.

Walmart has nice snap lid boxes that are large enough to hold folders (i.e. bigger than 9x11) for less than $4 each. Here's what they look like, you can get them in clear also. At the store, you can purchase them individually. You might check the dollar stores in your area as well.

Grab your markers and pencils now while they are $1 a box. Staples sometimes puts the higher quality markers on sale. Walmart has metallic permanent markers on sale for $4 or so- my DD loves these. You can get a 24-set of Sharpies at Sam's Club for $13.

I've used sterilite plastic drawers in the past. The kind that has 3-4 skinny drawers on top and 2-3 deeper drawers on bottom. Sort of like this---but taller. It was 20 something dollars at the store. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-5-Drawer-Wide-Tower-White/15442448?findingMethod=rr

I would use the bottom drawers to store things like math manipulatives etc and use the top drawers for the workbox system.

I use it for arts and craft storage now, as I have a different set of drawers now. You can combine subjects in one drawer, or even put all of one kid's "day" in something like those locker storage boxes they sell in the school supply area.

I saw somewhere a binder system...I was considering trying it, just because I don't have the room for workboxes. I just can't find the link that I saw it at, LOL.

Basically, it was a big binder with dividers. Each divider was a different task and when it was completed the child placed the tag on the front of the binder.

I've also seen it with a hanging file folder box.

I saw somewhere a binder system...I was considering trying it, just because I don't have the room for workboxes. I just can't find the link that I saw it at, LOL.

Basically, it was a big binder with dividers. Each divider was a different task and when it was completed the child placed the tag on the front of the binder.

I've also seen it with a hanging file folder box.

I just posted a binder system- I don't know if it's the one you refer to, but the link is above :-)

shoeboxes!!!

They are not going to be uniform but it is a start.

You can also store books in the shoeboxes until you get a real bookcase.

You can glue the shoe boxes together to make bookcases.

Cover them with contact paper at the one dollar store

One dollar store also sells colored markers/pencils-cheap!

Target and Walmart sells things cheap.

Look in your toy box, car, couch, under rugs,under beds. I always find extra colored pencils, pencils and colored markers there as well as in my sofa/couch and strange places. You would be surprised just how much school stuff gets lost in the toys and furniture. I collected a whole box full one day just going through my kids rooms. It will last us another year.

Edited by happycc

Here is my cheap, not a lot of space, no refilling every day "workbox" system:

How I Plan Our Homeschool Day

Here is my weekly binder that I put in the kids bins:

How I Plan Our Homeschool Week

Total Cost: $8 per bin, $3 per binder, and $3 per coil bound plastic pockets= $32 for a two child modified workbox system setup.

Maybe you can get some ideas!

Guest Jenny_K

I wanted to implement a workbox system for our homeschool too, but I couldn't really afford one either, so I purchased a Scholastic File Organizer Pocket Chart from Amazon and have it hung up next to our schooling area (the kitchen table). Great for saving space and money!

Alternative ideas I've used for the workbox feel:

- Storage Tubs I've had on hand (moved whatever was in it, to somewhere else)

- Cardboard Archive Boxes (got these as a pack on special at office place)

- Page protector/Display folder

- Binder & Tabs

- Reusable Shopping Bags (for toys etc)

- Drawers from my dressing/makeup table (when we moved it became the tv holder for dining room, so just removed the drawers)

I honestly could never have a full workbox system right now, as Chaos would just tornado everything in them, so any boxes, are still passed out lol.

We have work boxes but not like you may be thinking . . . I have one and my daughter has one. We do them a lot like the ones described in Sidetracked Home Executives. It is not about homeschooling but about getting housework done. Still, I've found it so useful in getting us to get the housework done that we have expanded it to include school work. I also tweeked it for how we think and work so it's different from the SHEs.

We each have a card box like a recipe box. The Tabs are Sunday through Saturday. We have pink cards for each chore, blue cards for each school subject to be done, and yellow cards for each evening chore to be done. We keep them in the kitchen and put every card on the fridge. As they are completed they're refiled. I have a planning book that I use for planning and logging school work. The box is different. It keeps us working and keeps us on track and keeps a visual of disappearing work load. This is effective for both of us.

To plan out the actual work load, I plan goals/objectives. I know what needs doing each week and I put it on one side of the planner. My daughter plans out what she'll do when. She then sorts the cards in her box.

I know it seems redundant but . . . it works for us.

Oh, as far as the actual books and supplies, they're on the bookshelf, et c.

Edited by BibleBeltCatholicMom

Here is my cheap, not a lot of space, no refilling every day "workbox" system:

How I Plan Our Homeschool Day

Here is my weekly binder that I put in the kids bins:

How I Plan Our Homeschool Week

Total Cost: $8 per bin, $3 per binder, and $3 per coil bound plastic pockets= $32 for a two child modified workbox system setup.

Maybe you can get some ideas!

Chelli, your system seems really workable for us! This year for K is pretty easy planning wise, but I need this for next year!

And the Dollar Tree might have some containers to get you through.

:iagree: -- I bought the plastic shoe boxes from Dollar Tree.

I found a shelf on the local Freecycle group -- it needed to be wiped down and I touched up the paint.

All for under $10. :)

I used photoboxes last year when I was trying to determine if i wanted to keep doing them. THey are really cheap at Michaels craft store. I think most of the time they go on sale for like 1.66 each. sometimes the sale is 3/$5 or 6/$10 they are really sturdy and the lids are nice. you can set them on a shelf or stack them up. it's a cheap alternative until you can get something nicer.

here is a pic of what i'm talking about. they come in lots of different colors/patterns. this isn't my photo but it's just to give you an idea of what i'm talking about.

photobox.png

I use this system I made, adaptable and free for the printing :-)

(LOL it looks like I keep plugging it, but y'all keep asking! I don't have any current affiliate accounts :) if it matters LOL)

http://onlypassionatecuriosity.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/tomorrow-is-our-first-day-of-school/

Maybe that will help inspire you?

We're doing this (THANKS BugsMama!) and so far DD is loving it. She really does well with a schedule. It's also been helpful for me in enforcing that everything we need to do gets done. And it takes up zero space, which I love :)

We're doing this (THANKS BugsMama!) and so far DD is loving it. She really does well with a schedule. It's also been helpful for me in enforcing that everything we need to do gets done. And it takes up zero space, which I love :)

I'm so glad it's working for you! We're still going strong a month in, and the kids love using it. :D

:bigear: I'm loving all these new ideas. BugsMama--I love your binder idea. I also used the magazine holder system with my oldest his 1st grade year and it worked brilliantly---need to explore doing that again.

I will say that I have made holders from cereal boxes. IME they don't usually hold up too well, and I would find myself chucking it in the recycling bin and faced with making a new one. I think it's probably best to go ahead and invest in some sturdier mag holders. Although I'm a fan of upcycling.

I've used sterilite plastic drawers in the past. The kind that has 3-4 skinny drawers on top and 2-3 deeper drawers on bottom. Sort of like this---but taller. It was 20 something dollars at the store. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-5-Drawer-Wide-Tower-White/15442448?findingMethod=rr

I would use the bottom drawers to store things like math manipulatives etc and use the top drawers for the workbox system.

I use it for arts and craft storage now, as I have a different set of drawers now. You can combine subjects in one drawer, or even put all of one kid's "day" in something like those locker storage boxes they sell in the school supply area.

Yup. I splurged and bought one of the nice racks when it was 50% off for my oldest, but for my other daughter I emptied one of those Sterilite drawer sets that I had around the house and used it for her.

You can make sturdy magazine-type files out of any small cardboard shipping boxes. Very simple instructions here.

My favorite boxes for this are the ones that are unmarked (at least on the sides, which will become the front and back of the files) and are designed to hold ~ 8.5 x 11 books or papers. Of course, you can decorate them, and you can use larger or smaller boxes -- you'll just end up with larger or smaller files. :)

My dollar tree had nice black dish pans (made in the USA) that I think would work perfectly as work boxes if you have a shelf. Those tall multi color shelves so many people use for their workboxes can be had for just around $30 with Michael's coupons. I bought mine for $36 and then found them on sale for $37 and there was a 25% off coupon that could be used with sale items on their website. I was so ticked I had bought mine at $36 (LOL).

Another idea is to use a file crate (like this) with hanging files. Should come to about $20.

Edited by teeniebeenie6