Menu

Children and anesthesia question

My oldest is having tonsils/adenoids out on Wednesday and ear tubes put in. Due to her autism, she doesn't understand what will be happening. She doesn't understand that she has this coming up on Wednesday. She also has anxiety and we have seen that she gets agitated when we're separated in doctor's offices. I know we need to address this, but right now we're just happy that she's very cooperative when I am around.

Last year, when she needed a MRI (Children's Hopital), she started pinching herself when they tried to take her to the room for the MRI (with sedation). They let me go back with her and hold her while she "fell asleep" (for lack of a better word, it was rather startling to see it happen). She refused to lay down so I held her and lowered her down to the table as she went under sedation.

A couple of months ago, she needed teeth removed due to over-crowding. She had sedation (in-office at our oral surgeons) and again, wouldn't lay down so they let me stay with her and hold her (so she wouldn't fall) until she was under.

She is going to have her upcoming procedure at the main Children's Hospital. My other girls have had minor procedures there and I know they do not allow parents in the back room (and I never asked). This daughter, however, will have problems with that and I hate thinking of her being restrained in order to be sedated when it could be done simply with my being with her.

I was hoping they would call today for her pre-admission paperwork, but that particular dept didn't call. Is there anything I can ask for that might be a compromise? I know they don't want me in their surgical rooms. I know that this will become a mess if they take her straight back. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'd call and let them know she has separation anxiety in medical settings and asd. I'd request Versed to be given while she's with you so she's calm.

Good ideas. Part of pre-op should be meeting with the anesthesiologist, who can help with making decisions. My ds has AS, and did well with the Versed. He was loopy when they took him back, and forgot about us. Normally, at the age he was then, the separation issues would have been major.

:iagree:It never hurts to ask, even beg, especially for a child with special needs.

Oh, and I also heard something about a sedetive like Versed but in a lotion form. They just rub it on and she gets relaxed :) You might want to ask about that to.

I'd call and let them know she has separation anxiety in medical settings and asd. I'd request Versed to be given while she's with you so she's calm.

What we did for DS was the hospital made "kool-aid" for him and I to drink only his was special to make him sleepy. They had me walk back to the OR with him and talk to him as they put him out. He had massive anxiety at doctors at the time and the staff was so nice. The nurse he had asked what his favorite show was at time and had it playing when he went back to the recovery room. I hope your hospital makes this a wonderful as possible visit.

Call tomorrow and ask that an advocate be assigned for your child. They should have one to help you make this as stress free as possible.

Our children's hospital allows the parent to go back and stay until they are asleep (just moments after the mask is put on). Of course, this involves putting on the "outfit" and hat. I have done this multiple times. (As for the MRI, my ds just had a cardiac MRI a couple weeks ago, and I was in the MRI room for the entire two hours, though he couldn't see me - we did not do anesthesia for it though that ended up being a close call.)

The more worrisome part is the waking up from anesthesia. My other ds had his adenoids out and tubes put in when he was 2, and freaked out while coming out of the anesthesia when I wasn't there. He turned blue, apparently (cried so hard) :glare:. That procedure occurred at a "branch" of a children's hospital where the nurses weren't children's nurses, in a different state from where we now live.

I'd simply inform them of the situation. You should be able to call and ask these questions ahead of time. Then when you're there, definitely let the specific nurses caring for your dd know of the special needs, so that they'll fetch you to the recovery room as soon as the situation allows.

I would call and let them know the issue, and if after being very firm they still do not back down, then look for a new hospital to have the procedure. Sometimes you have to be very firm to get what your child needs. My son was sedated many times, and only once we could not go back with him, but he was fine with that. The time that he was kicking and screaming the docs let us go back to the preop area and hold him while they sedated him enough to get him to the OR where he was given the big gun drugs. I know of one hospital that will not allow that in our area, so we will simply not go there unless there is no other option.

At our local children's hospital, they don't allow parents into the actual operating room, but there is a room leading into the operating room called the induction room. They start the anesthesia in the induction room. I was allowed with my child into the induction room and held/restrained her while they forced the mask over her face. It only took a few seconds for her to go limp. Then they took her from me, put her on the bed, and rolled her into the operating area. I don't know why the hospital wouldn't allow this. It seems a lot safer than needing multiple staff members and/or straps to restrain an hysterical child.

I agree that the bigger issue can be when the child wakes up from the anesthesia. My child was very distraught and got large bruises all over from thrashing around in the bed as she woke up.

Thanks for all the replies. I feel much better about asking. At the very least, yes, something ahead of time might work. And thanks for the reminder about coming out of anesthesia. She is usually disoriented and always fights to sit up (again, she doesn't like laying down). She cannot be left alone whatsoever once she starts waking up.

Oh, and I don't think I can get a new hospital. There are two other hospitals in that area, but my ENT is at Children's. The other two hospitals are not anywhere near as accomodating as Children's, although they have always been very nice. I can't put this off any longer and I have other things waiting on this to be finished for her.

If it gets problematic, I'll ask for an advocate but I'm hopeful they will look at the situation and be kind.

:grouphug:

Please do ask and be firm about it.

My DS has had five surgeries.

I knew after the 4th one that we could not go through the post-surgery/anesthesia-induced anger thing again.

When it came up that he needed another surgery, I was very firm with his doctor about what our past experiences had been like. He spoke with the anesthesiologist, then had the anesthesiologist call us and talk with us about options. I was so thankful that we had a doctor that would listen to our concerns. It really made a world of difference.

:grouphug:

The pediatric anesthesiologist should come and see you [and her for their pre-anesthesia assessment] before she is brought back. Usually this is when they discuss the anesthesia plan [and have you sign the separate anesthesia consent]. This is when you should explain her special needs and come up with an approach that will work for her and them.

Versed. I think most good Children's Hospitals use it for kids as protocol before the child is taken back to the OR.

Versed can also cause paradoxical agitation in kids. PO versed can be part of our pre-procedure conscious sedation protocol but I'm not a big fan unless I know the kid has tolerated it well in the past.

All of my kids have had sedation of one sort or another, I have always been there with them, holding their hand and then the dr/dentist whomever says, okay give them a kiss and we will call you back in when they are in recovery(though sometimes I can't be in recovery with them, I am with them when they put them to sleep)

when dd12.5 was 5 I accompanied her into the operating room where I was able to hold her hand and talk to/comfort her as a mask of fruity-smelling sedatives was placed over her face. When she was no longer anxious, I left. And cried and worried until the doctors came out to get me. She was only going in for an endoscopy but I was so worried about her anyway.

There are exceptions made for kids.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Versed can also cause paradoxical agitation in kids. PO versed can be part of our pre-procedure conscious sedation protocol but I'm not a big fan unless I know the kid has tolerated it well in the past.

It happened to me and I was over 30. It made me forget what was happening, I was fighting with a nurse.

Edited by Sis