Menu

How to convince someone to go get a tetanus shot...

My DH scratched his arm pretty well on a rusty piece of the lawn mower. It drew blood, but isn't bad enough to need stitches. As we have been together for over 10 years and I don't remember a tetanus booster ever given, I am sure he is over due. Is this a situation where the shot should be given, or is this a wait and see situation since it isn't a deep puncture wound?

My DH scratched his arm pretty well on a rusty piece of the lawn mower. It drew blood, but isn't bad enough to need stitches. As we have been together for over 10 years and I don't remember a tetanus booster ever given, I am sure he is over due. Is this a situation where the shot should be given, or is this a wait and see situation since it isn't a deep puncture wound?

Is it a scratch or a puncture? If punctured, as in the rusty lawnmower piece got in there, I'd go get a tetanus shot. If it is a scratch, which bled, but you immediately cleaned it thoroughly, I probably wouldn't.

I don't vaccinate and wouldn't do tetanus for most things, but lawn mowers do mow over feces and that and rusty blades and such carry enough of a slight risk that I would do it. It's one of the least "potentially" problematic shots. Do know that if you only want a tetanus booster, you have to be careful about that... ;)

It doesn't do any good to get a T. shot after the fact. It doesn't work retrospectively. If he's working in an environment that places him at risk for T then he should probably get one, and I think that's why many Drs encourage the shot after the fact-- to protect in future cases. But again, it won't help him re: his current injury.

It doesn't do any good to get a T. shot after the fact. It doesn't work retrospectively. If he's working in an environment that places him at risk for T then he should probably get one, and I think that's why many Drs encourage the shot after the fact-- to protect in future cases. But again, it won't help him re: his current injury.

:iagree:

You'd need TIG.

if it is shallow and bleeding I don't know that it is a risk..I believe tetanus is an anaerobic bacteria, isn't it? I seem to remember it can't grow with oxygen present. But I'd google before believing me. The rust has nothing to do with it by the way, the bacteria is present in soil, etc.

if it is shallow and bleeding I don't know that it is a risk..I believe tetanus is an anaerobic bacteria, isn't it? I seem to remember it can't grow with oxygen present. But I'd google before believing me. The rust has nothing to do with it by the way, the bacteria is present in soil, etc.

Exactly. T can't live in an oxygenated environment, and the idea that you ca n get it from a rusty item is just a myth, since rust is evidence that there is oxygen.

Now, a puncture wound from a nail does put you at a greater risk but that's because of the nature of the wound, not because of any rust present. I think that may be how T has come to be associated with a rust--because of dirty (aka rusty) nails.

I don't understand this; all the medical professionals I've ever talked with have encouraged the shot after certain kinds of injuries, even if the patient wasn't at the end of their tetanus immunity. (ie got a tetanus shot 5 years ago, got an dirty wound today, they'd rec' a booster.) I've had the impression that you had 48 hours to get the tetanus for it to be effective.

Exactly. T can't live in an oxygenated environment, and the idea that you ca n get it from a rusty item is just a myth, since rust is evidence that there is oxygen.

Now, a puncture wound from a nail does put you at a greater risk but that's because of the nature of the wound, not because of any rust present. I think that may be how T has come to be associated with a rust--because of dirty (aka rusty) nails.

That's my impression--they are not concerned about rust but about a puncture wound that is dirty. Stepping on something in a creek that punctures your foot--they'll recommend tetanus. It doesn't even have to be a puncture wound per se, either, but a wound contaminated with dirt (thus potentially the organisms), not rust.

I don't vaccinate and wouldn't do tetanus for most things, but lawn mowers do mow over feces and that and rusty blades and such carry enough of a slight risk that I would do it. It's one of the least "potentially" problematic shots. Do know that if you only want a tetanus booster, you have to be careful about that... ;)

There is no tetanus only shot on the market, FYI.

:iagree: I wouldn't push it or suggest it.

Do you have a doctor or nurse practitioner whose advice you trust?

A couple of years ago my kid accidentally stabbed me in the face with a sharp pencil. (Yes, it truly was an accident.) We went to the doc to be sure it was OK and he insisted on a tetanus booster.

I know some doctors like to do more than necessary. This one generally didn't - so we took his advice.

There is no tetanus only shot on the market, FYI.

:iagree: -- you need to think long and hard before agreeing to random tetanus shots as there are 4 combination vaccines, but NO Tetanus only. Check the info out there about the different combinations and the recommended sequencing.

I don't think this is correct, or at least not entirely correct. Tetanus does not always develop right away - it can take up to three weeks following the injury - so it can indeed help to get the shot after the fact. The sooner, the better, because it CAN develop as quickly as three days. My doctor said that it is definitely given to help with the current injury, not just future protection. Maybe one of our medical pros can confirm or clarify.

As far as people associating it with rust, I would assume that it's because where there is rust, there is usually dirt. I mean, if you STEP on a rusty nail, it was most likely in the yard or on the floor of a shed or workshop.

Regarding puncture wounds vs scratches, I thought this was interesting (from vaccineinformation.org):

Although we have traditionally worried about deep puncture wounds, in reality many types of injuries can allow tetanus bacilli to enter the body. In recent years, a higher proportion of cases had minor wounds than had major ones, probably because severe wounds were more likely to be properly managed.

Tetanus is nasty. I'd be all over that shot.