Menu

Guitar lesson costs?

Sometimes you can find an eager advanced student guitar player who is willing to give lessons for a good price. My 18 year old daughter has given guitar lessons for several years now and charges $10 for a half/hour lesson. Especially for a beginner, I think this can work.

My daughter works with a professional guitar player (he is one of the musicians on "Prairie Home Companion" if you ever listen to that show on the radio) now and then, and of course his prices are much higher. (I can't remember what he charges, either $40 or $80 for a one-hour lesson. It has been awhile since she has had a lesson with him.)

I pay $25 for each 30 minute lesson. We could get the lessons for just $20 each if we were willing to drive to downtown where he has free music rooms available on campus, but then I'd have to pay $8 parking every week and drive for 30 minutes instead of 10, so I'll keep the $25 lessons.

Now that my dd has added banjo as well, she does 45 minute lessons. She also goes to another teacher for voice lessons (and that's $24/lesson and a half-hour drive, but no parking issues).

We pay $50/month for 1 hour/week at the YMCA, as non-members. I think it is $30/month for members. The price is the same for all levels. The instruction is actually very good, but there are usually three or four students at a time. The same instructor also teaches once a week at a local school and gives private lessons for $23/30 minutes at a local music center.

Here the going rate for good teachers is $35-40 for an hour lesson, $25 for half an hour. It's possible to lessen the cost by going with an inexperienced teacher or by taking group lessons.

:iagree: Pretty typical around here. $80 a month would be pretty reasonable for a teacher with experience and/or has a degree.

My dd takes guitar and ukulele. The guitar teacher (who has a PhD and 30 years of experience, but is a bit of a flake) charges 15/half hour and the ukulele teacher (25+ years of teaching guitar and ukulele) charges $20/half hour.

Edited by Mrs Mungo