Menu

How many pages are you willing to

happycc

I try not to print books. I've discovered I don't like to read from 3-ring binders, and I don't like to read from 8.5X11 floppy, spiral-bound books. So I use my eReader (it's a B&W paper-like one, so no glare) if I cannot buy it.

Worksheets? I've printed 175 MEP sheets X 2 years, plus the teacher guides. I think I printed at least 1000 pages to start last year. The craziest was when I printed the Miquon pages. Never again - it sent each page to the printer as an image and took forever.

I have a B&W LaserJet as well btw.

I print masses. Pdf downloads have been a lifesaver for me because of living overseas. I've printed MEP, MM, Writer's Jungle, KISS Grammar, WWE, and, yes, Grammarland. Back when I had a laser printer, I didn't print nearly as much. But I have a printer/copier with toner cartridges now which makes it much more economical.

I don't know...

I have printed off some hefty files before.

But we read Grammarland on the e-reader earlier this year and it just kept going...and going...and going.

It was like a neverendingbook. :001_huh:

I can't imagine printing it.

For books and texts that I use for school, I just save to a thumb drive and take to OfficeMax and have them print and bind it. I love, love, love their binding. For some reason, it makes me giddy. :tongue_smilie:Then I don't have to think about the cost of my ink or the wear and tear on my printer. Or - heaven forbid - if I drop the pages while trying to get them in a binder. :lol: (Been known to do that... Ugh.)

On my laser printer with auto-duplex, I'd totally print it. If I just had my old inkjet that sucks up ink, I'd be more wary about doing that.

So... depends on what printer you have, how much ink/toner costs. My toner is $44 (name brand) for 2600 pages, and I actually get more than 2600 pages (I got 1000 on the 700-page starter toner), since I use the toner save mode religiously. So if I get the same ratio of pages, it will be about $0.0118 per page. So printing 200 pages would be a little over $2. I'm not counting paper costs here, but we usually pick up paper free or dirt cheap (25 cents) at the Staples back to school sales, so the paper cost is negligible for me.

I use a Proclick to make a nice spiral bound "book", and I have report covers for the Proclick OR I can laminate printed card stock if I'm really feeling fancy. :D

I've printed out something that was a couple hundred pages, but I'm careful to not print too much.

For Grammarland I had my son listen to it on Librivox. We don't have a device that will allow us to read it apart from the computer. I do have my ds read things on the computer sometimes, but not something that long.

We have both an inkjet and a laser printer. The laser printer is cheaper by far, so only special projects are printed on the inkjet. Also, before I got the nook and ereaders, I would print 2 to a page, double sided for things to be read, and full size, double sided for worksheets. Now I use the ereader for teacher reading materials or color, and the nook for b/w stuff. I figured the nook was $79, ereader was $99, and toner is $50, plus the cost of printer and paper. So now I print out the MEP worksheets, but I keep the lessons and answers on the ereader. I'm trying to go paperless, so once I find the right software/device for filling out the worksheets, we might convert completely. My dad said he'd give me his HP tablet, so that's a candidate.

I don't print much, in fact one of the reasons I homeschool is so I can be more conservative in the amount of paper that is used for each kid.

We use dry erase and only the last kid uses up the pages, I do the reading and teach instead of each kid needing a copy, we write on windows and dry erase boards, I buy nonconsumable books instead of workbooks, and the rare occasion when something does need printed (and for a book I'd try to get a copy if at all possible) I only do a few pages and see how it works before printing much off.

Boscopup, what kind of printer do you have again? I wrote it down the last time you posted, but can't find it. I'm going to see if I can find one at the BTS sales next month.

Brother 2270DW

You can often get it on sale for around $80.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not counting paper costs here, but we usually pick up paper free or dirt cheap (25 cents) at the Staples back to school sales, so the paper cost is negligible for me.

Reams of paper for this price?? Will you please alert us when this sale occurs?

Regards,

C.

Reams of paper for this price?? Will you please alert us when this sale occurs?

They just had it a week or so ago? I'd just check Staples each week and watch for paper on sale or free after rebate (Staples is good about giving you your rebate check - we've never had a problem with them).

And yes, it is full ream. I think they usually limit it to 2 per person, but they'll also have different times where different brands are on sale. So the Staples paper may be free/cheap one week, and HP paper may be free after rebate another week.

Now is back-to-school sale time, so definitely keep a watch on Staples and other stores that carry school supplies. :)

I have been copying and printing a few PDF workbooks on an inket printer for one student but soon I'll be doing it for two. I also spend little on paper but ink, even using refills doesn't last long.

Can anyone recommend a cheap lazer printer, preferably with copy but not necessarily multi function? Oh and it would be nice if it was wireless.

I never put a limit in the past (I printed year 1 of TOG last year, all of it including some pages from the Loom), but that being said..

I try not to print books. I've discovered I don't like to read from 3-ring binders,

:iagree: I don't put a limit on printing because of price (I buy ink very cheaply)...I limit because I just discovered after reading TOG the entire year from huge binders that I don't like to read from 3-ring binders...I don't mind spiral bound books, just not binders...I don't have an e-reader and prefer books over everything else...

So my answer - I would print it and have it spiral bound (as long as you don't have to pay a small fortune for ink) ;)