Menu

Campers! Which dutch oven do I need?

We are preparing to start our family adventures in camping. :) Dh is buying us a trailer for my birthday! So, when I want to cook inside, I will have a regular stove. But when I want to cook outside, sometimes I can use a grill, but sometimes I will want to use the campfire. So, I am looking at 2 different designs at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006JSUF/ref=pe_77980_24572550_pe_epc_dt1

and

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008GKDW/ref=pe_77980_24572550_pe_epc_dt2

The first one is cuter :D but doesn't have legs to sit on the coals. The second is larger, heavier, has a flat lid for coals, but it's so ugly. :tongue_smilie: So, which design is most popular and useful? Thanks!

Edited by Blueridge

Dump cake

1 can pie filling

1 box cake mix

1 can soda

Pour pie filling into dutch oven and spread to make it even.

Pour cake mix evenly over pie filling.

Pour soda evenly over cake mix. DO NOT STIR.

Cover with lid.

Bake for about an hour. Add coals if necessary.

Use the number of coals per the size of your oven. (There is a guide that comes with the dutchie.) I have a 12in dutchie and use 10 on the bottom and about 16 on top.

You can use any combination of flavors you want

Cherry pie filling

Chocolate cake

Coca cola

Blueberry pie filling

yellow cake

7up

There are many ways to make dump cake.

Here's a link to a different method:

http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/blackberry-dump-cake

This guy uses butter instead of soda but the video does a great job explaining how to make dump cake.

Edited by The Dragon Academy
To add cooking time.

This is a great dutch oven resource: http://www.amazon.com/Scouts-Outdoor-Cookbook-Falcon-Guide/dp/0762740671/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340978002&sr=8-1&keywords=scouts+outdoor+cookbook

This one is good, too. http://www.amazon.com/101-Things-Do-Dutch-Oven/dp/1586857851/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340978088&sr=1-1&keywords=101+things+to+do+with+a+dutch+oven

I got my dutch oven a few months ago and use it in my backyard. Dutch ovens - they're not just for camping anymore!

Alton Brown (Good Eats) dedicated an episode to dutch oven cooking. http://www.foodnetwork.com/good-eats/going-dutch/index.html

Neither.

If you want the perfect cast iron cauldron for the fire get a:

Potjie pot

These 3 legged cauldrons are purpose made for cooking on campfires and for efficiently cooking with minimal fuel. The South Africans would use these out on the veldt. They can cook "fast" or you can build a small fire (including throwing some embers on the lid) and letting a stew go all day long like an iron-age crockpot. Look up SA repicies for the potjie.

BTW, "potjie" (to the best of my understanding) is pronounced "poy Key" with poy rhyming with boy.

Here is a link to an American site that sells potjie pots. It is an ugly website and a google search will show better pictures. The one you want is the 3 legged version. The size 3 is a nice size for average parties.

These are the ultimate Dutch ovens for use on campfires.

Bill

http://www.aikenmfg.com/aboutus.html

l

Edited by Spy Car

You don't need a dutch oven. While it would be nice to have one, you can do all kinds of cooking without one. Personally, I'd spend the money on a table/rack/kitchen organizer before I'd get a dutch oven. If you're set there, then go with the uglier one of the two you've linked.

BTW, I saw a propane camping oven (made by Coleman) at Costco the other day. It has wire racks, a window, and temperature controls. It has two burners on top as well, and I think a griddle accessory:

Camping Oven/Stove

Neither.

If you want the perfect cast iron cauldron for the fire get a:

Potjie pot

These 3 legged cauldrons are purpose made for cooking on campfires and for efficiently cooking with minimal fuel. The South Africans would use these out on the veldt. They can cook "fast" or you can build a small fire (including throwing some embers on the lid) and letting a stew go all day long like an iron-age crockpot. Look up SA repicies for the potjie.

BTW, "potjie" (to the best of my understanding) is pronounced "poy Key" with poy rhyming with boy.

Here is a link to an American site that sells potjie pots. It is an ugly website and a google search will show better pictures. The one you want is the 3 legged version. The size 3 is a nice size for average parties.

These are the ultimate Dutch ovens for use on campfires.

Bill

http://www.aikenmfg.com/aboutus.htm

l

Bad link.

OK, I will be a voice of dissent. :D I prefer non-footed items, as their use is limited. I have this camp grill, which allows for maximum versatility with my pots and pans. Just like in the picture, I can use skillets and pots of varying sizes. I can also have several things going at once (coffee at the same time as eggs, bacon, etc.). You can even throw bread right on the surface to make toast. The best thing, though, is that I can use the non-footed pots/pans in my home kitchen as well.

OK, I will be a voice of dissent. :D I prefer non-footed items, as their use is limited. I have this camp grill, which allows for maximum versatility with my pots and pans. Just like in the picture, I can use skillets and pots of varying sizes. I can also have several things going at once (coffee at the same time as eggs, bacon, etc.). You can even throw bread right on the surface to make toast. The best thing, though, is that I can use the non-footed pots/pans in my home kitchen as well.

The non-legged pots are more useful at home, but for cooking on a fire a potjie can not be beat. The round bottom distributes the heat beautifully and it can be used to slow cook a big meal with a small fire. They are really efficient and the traditional style wins serious style points.

Bill

Footed pots are much nicer for the fire. You can get stands, but they can be awkward as coals burn down and the pot shifts.

Of the two you listed, I would get the latter. The legs and flat top are key points.

If you can find one that has a rounded bottom, that is nice too. It means that you have a smaller area underneath to heat, and the heat is spread out from there. If it sits a bit uneven in the fire, it doesn't have a hot spot down in one corner where food gets stuck.

I don't like to use my cookware from outside, inside. I find it a pain to scrub ALL the soot off of a pot to bring it back and forth inside. If I were buying a new pot, I would want one that was ideal for outside and not worry about how it would work on my stove.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

If you are getting a trailer then I would get stuff like an electric skillet and toaster oven and maybe a griddle. Although you will have a stove inside it is propane and I prefer to use electric at the campground because filling your propane tanks is pricey and I prefer to save it for hot water unless your hot water heater is gas/electric. I would also recommend a freestanding ice maker because they make ice in a hurry!

Other things that I must have in my trailer...

Outdoor rug in front of the door to keep dirt out.

Folding chairs.

Extra long extension cord and water hose (you never know how far away the hookups are).

Treatment tablets for black water tank.

Water filter for hose that hooks to camper.

Electric fan to set outside under awning.

My gosh, what great ideas! I had to go do some shopping with dd18 for her upcoming trip, and just got back. Of course, I had to come visit the hive. :D Tomorrow we're going trailer shopping (again) and honestly, we're still torn between a used class C RV and a new pull behind trailer. It's been hard to find a pull behind that our expedition can haul...but pop ups and hybrids don't look large enough...and the used class c RVs we've looked at aren't as pretty. ;) I am making a list of all your suggestions as they are SO helpful to me! We are complete newbies at this and I have everything to learn. I have watched several youtubes and now I am familiar with the term *black water dumping* :tongue_smilie:. I am so excited to be learning how to set up a camp and decorating my new trailer! Thanks so much for your help.

My gosh, what great ideas! I had to go do some shopping with dd18 for her upcoming trip, and just got back. Of course, I had to come visit the hive. :D Tomorrow we're going trailer shopping (again) and honestly, we're still torn between a used class C RV and a new pull behind trailer. It's been hard to find a pull behind that our expedition can haul...but pop ups and hybrids don't look large enough...and the used class c RVs we've looked at aren't as pretty. ;) I am making a list of all your suggestions as they are SO helpful to me! We are complete newbies at this and I have everything to learn. I have watched several youtubes and now I am familiar with the term *black water dumping* :tongue_smilie:. I am so excited to be learning how to set up a camp and decorating my new trailer! Thanks so much for your help.

FWIW we pull a 26' travel trailer with my 2003 Chevy Tahoe. It has a towing capacity of 7700lbs. The newer trailers are lighter and easier to tow. Ours is a 2006 Fleetwood Mallard and it weighs the same as the new 30' grey wolf. We are trading ours in after this camping season because we have outgrown it!

If you are getting a trailer then I would get stuff like an electric skillet and toaster oven and maybe a griddle. Although you will have a stove inside it is propane and I prefer to use electric at the campground because filling your propane tanks is pricey and I prefer to save it for hot water unless your hot water heater is gas/electric. I would also recommend a freestanding ice maker because they make ice in a hurry!

Like you we ditched the propane. It's more to pay for, plus it's added weight. I usually take my electric skillet, toaster oven, and 6 quart Nesco roaster and can do nearly all of my cooking with those. I also take along a hot pot because it heats water so quickly.

Our first tow vehicle was a Ford Expedition, too. We purchased an OUTBACK TRAVEL TRAILER by Keystone. It's a 25' but extends to almost 30' - our bedroom slides out in the back (with a sofa slide on the side) and bunks up front for the kids. Plus it's very lite weight. Hard-back slides - not canvas. LOVE IT!!!

Dh took me to see a camper yesterday, and when we met the folks who were selling it, we felt like we had always known them. They were also a homeschool family! :001_smile: They showed us all around it, and we loved it! It has pop outs on each end, and a slide on the other side. Beautiful kitchen and plenty of room for us! Today he has taken the girls to see it, and put a down payment on it! By the weekend, it will be ours, parked in our yard!!! Now I'm looking at dutch oven videos, because this is really happening!!!!! So excited!!!

Dh took me to see a camper yesterday, and when we met the folks who were selling it, we felt like we had always known them. They were also a homeschool family! :001_smile: They showed us all around it, and we loved it! It has pop outs on each end, and a slide on the other side. Beautiful kitchen and plenty of room for us! Today he has taken the girls to see it, and put a down payment on it! By the weekend, it will be ours, parked in our yard!!! Now I'm looking at dutch oven videos, because this is really happening!!!!! So excited!!!

Woot Woot!!! I sooooo wish that we were doing the same. I feeling my inner tumbleweed-self needing to be set free in the wind.