Menu

Email:so old-fashioned.

DH took dd's cell phone and ipodtouch away for a time. Yesterday I asked her how communicating with her friends has been going since she usually either texts on the kid phone or using text-free on her touch . "I've had to use email, the old fashion way!" :lol: I said we do own an actual telephone and she laughed. :tongue_smilie:

• 2 weeks later...
Sheesh. I can remember when I was in college and the two on-campus computer labs could communicate between each other. That was just SO AMAZING to be able to sit in the computer lab at one end of campus and send an electronic message to someone sitting in the computer lab at the other end of the campus! It was almost like MAGIC! :lol:

ETA: That was, of course, on those big computers with black screens and green letters. Remember those? :lol:

Yes! And we thought they were so amazing.

My kids complain that e-mail is too slow. :glare:

That's what Dd said. :)

Wish I could copy and paste the photo I saw on fb this morning, a few handwritten folded notes on top of a textbook with the caption, "Before text messages, those were the good old days."

And yes, I remember the old computers with black screens and green letters! They were so modern at the time. :001_smile:

I was a journalism major and during my last quarter of college (1991), we were able to -- get this -- dial up through our computers to another computer across the country to -- get this -- access syndicated cartoons that we could transfer through the phone line back to our own computers so that we could then -- get this -- print them and use them in our own newspaper. We were absolutely amazed by this technology.

This was pre-internet and digitization. We were still printing out the final layout of the newspaper onto paper and waxing the pieces to put together like puzzle pieces for the final, physical layout (that we'd have to take to the bus station the next morning for delivery to the printing press). But that phone line thing. Woo-hoo, baby. We were 21st century!! :lol:

And yes, I remember the old computers with black screens and green letters! They were so modern at the time. :001_smile:

I am so old that at school typing was done on TYPWRITERS.

And the new computer room at teh highschool had commodore 64's that used dos (pre windows). You had to type in pages of codes to do anything, and if one thing was wrong, you got an error message.

DH took dd's cell phone and ipodtouch away for a time. Yesterday I asked her how communicating with her friends has been going since she usually either texts on the kid phone or using text-free on her touch . "I've had to use email, the old fashion way!" :lol: I said we do own an actual telephone and she laughed. :tongue_smilie:

So she doesn't realize that she can send a email to a phone number as a text? :D

(You can. See google. The only thing you need to know is the cell phone carrier, OR the texter can send a text to an email address, and the emailer can just hit Reply.)

I just had a similar conversation with a tween at the pool who was waiting for her friend. She said she didn't know where her friend was and she was not answering her texts. I said "you know, you could just call her. The ringing phone may alert her that you are really trying to reach her."

Sheesh. I can remember when I was in college and the two on-campus computer labs could communicate between each other. That was just SO AMAZING to be able to sit in the computer lab at one end of campus and send an electronic message to someone sitting in the computer lab at the other end of the campus! It was almost like MAGIC! :lol:

ETA: That was, of course, on those big computers with black screens and green letters. Remember those? :lol:

Oh, yes! That was my era in college, too. One professor made us send in our homework assignments on the VAX, and it caused a huge uproar because it was just so strange to not submit things on paper. Also, there were like 5 terminals in the VAX lab, so it was a big deal to sign up for a time slot.

My kids complain that e-mail is too slow. :glare:

That is funny. My friend and I mostly communicate via email. She will sit at her computer and I'll be at mine and we use email like texting. It is actually faster because we have the full keyboard to type on. But we are a couple of old ladies who learned to type years ago and can do 70+ wpm. The touch screen on my smart phone slows me down and my friend is still in the dark ages with a flip phone so it takes her forever to text. :lol:

I was a journalism major and during my last quarter of college (1991), we were able to -- get this -- dial up through our computers to another computer across the country to -- get this -- access syndicated cartoons that we could transfer through the phone line back to our own computers so that we could then -- get this -- print them and use them in our own newspaper. We were absolutely amazed by this technology.

This was pre-internet and digitization. We were still printing out the final layout of the newspaper onto paper and waxing the pieces to put together like puzzle pieces for the final, physical layout (that we'd have to take to the bus station the next morning for delivery to the printing press). But that phone line thing. Woo-hoo, baby. We were 21st century!! :lol:

hey! Summer of 1991 was when I first got onto the Internet. Usenet baby! VERY few web pages, if any. They'd be just text links to things to download, etc.

Oh, yes, I remember those! I tell my kids how lucky they are to be able to text their friends every day. Dh & I had to settle for a phone call or two per week when we were long-distance dating. And we tried to wait until after 11 PM or only talk on weekends when the rates were lower. :glare:

I thought correcting typewriters were "magic". I typed all my papers on a regular typewriter in college. You made a mistake on page 4 and didn't find it until page 10? Too bad, you retype the WHOLE THING.

I thought correcting typewriters were "magic". I typed all my papers on a regular typewriter in college. You made a mistake on page 4 and didn't find it until page 10? Too bad, you retype the WHOLE THING.

I remember sitting in my apartment on Walnut St. when I was a junior in college and just crying one particular late night because I got to the last line on a page, and then made a mistake and had to start all over. Crazy.

I'm not really all that old :tongue_smilie:, but when I was 10 we didn't have a computer, and I wanted a nice looking bar graph for my science paper. So I worked really hard to make that bar graph on a typewriter, and it was not easy. It blows my mind to think how easy it is to do it on a computer. :lol: Thankfully we had a computer by the next year.

I am so old that at school typing was done on TYPWRITERS.

And the new computer room at teh highschool had commodore 64's that used dos (pre windows). You had to type in pages of codes to do anything, and if one thing was wrong, you got an error message.

Same thing for me. Typing class was on typewriters. In computer class we did computer programming in basic on Commodore 64s.

So she doesn't realize that she can send a email to a phone number as a text? :D

(You can. See google. The only thing you need to know is the cell phone carrier, OR the texter can send a text to an email address, and the emailer can just hit Reply.)

She does not. :D I didn't either. To tell or not to tell. . . :lol: