Menu

Media mail troubles

I just received a set of ten history books and the package we obviously opened and checked by the post office. No damage is done to the books.

How do you sell activity books as used in Latin for Children or workbooks included in Latin Prep set as media mail while they are not media mailable according to the post office? I have received both of these as media mail, which means people do mail them as media mail. What is the option for sending workbooks? I still have one I want to sell, but I need to find a cheaper way to do it, or it won't be worth selling.

Thanks!

Two of the packaged I sent just in the last two weeks were opened on the other end and got charged extra because they were either activity books or an instructional loose leaf readers schedule and comprehension questions with no empty space to use as a workbook. The buyers and I resolved it peacefully.

Another package (with two textbooks and one workbook) that was sent quite a few days ago hasn't even arrived at the buyer's yet. I am ready to pay for any loss that the buyer may suffer. But I am truly frustrated dealing with the post office.

Prior to this, I always thought workbooks were media mail. Who would buy filled-in REALLY used workbooks anyway?

It has been a number of years since I sold curriculum, but I was never told workbooks did not qualify for media mail. I always took the package to post office unsealed or untaped, so that they could approve the media mail rate. I do not know if that made a difference further down the line as far as opening a package to confirm its contents.

Workbooks are books. The post office staff is confused about media mail. Unfortunately, the opening of the package is on the other end of the mailing, and you are at the mercy of their confusing. Any media mail package can be opened just because they selected your package. In fact, the USPS site said the material must be educational materials. Workbooks are educational.

Edited by LMA

This is why I don't send media mail anymore (or USPS for that matter). I have had quite a few lost/damaged books get to a buyer or to me (as the buyer) when sent media mail. I've had an empty (and mutilated) package arrive at my door.:glare: SO...I know it wasn't an issue of a bad seller. It's terrible postal service.

If it's not worth sending UPS, it's not worth selling/buying online. I would never send USPS without insurance.

This is why I don't send media mail anymore (or USPS for that matter). I have had quite a few lost/damaged books get to a buyer or to me (as the buyer) when sent media mail. I've had an empty (and mutilated) package arrive at my door.:glare: SO...I know it wasn't an issue of a bad seller. It's terrible postal service.

If it's not worth sending UPS, it's not worth selling/buying online. I would never send USPS without insurance.

:iagree:

If you are mailing one item, make sure there is a packing slip or something with the buyer's name and address in that item. If you are mailing more than one item, put a packing slip in each item. That way, if your package gets damaged in the media mail inspection process, your items have a chance of making it to the buyer. If not, items with packages damaged during media mail inspection will just float around the USPS Mail Recovery Center in Atlanta forever. Ask me how I know. :angry:

The package did make it, but the post office is holding it because more money is owed. I will tell you what it is in the package so that you know what I am talking about: US edition Singapore math textbooks 2 A and 2 B plus CWP 2 with no writing in any of the books! Now I will pay the buyer the money the post office charges her. So in the end I am paying over $7 for the postage.

Has anything like this happened to you for media mail? This is my third package that got opened and charged extra just this month.

Can you help me find a cheaper way to mail things? I think I will try to sell locally or give away.

Ideas for cheaper postage for workbooks that disqualify for media mail?

I am going to sell the whole set of Standard Edition Singapore math 3 with all textbooks, workbook and CWP 3 in the fall. I am not sure what the best way is to do this if the workbooks are not media mailable.

I never had one of my packages open before on either end. Now I have gotten some sad looking boxes from transportation from point A to point B. I sent a SOTW guide thru media mail after taking it out of a binder. The post office said it will have to be regular mail if I kept the papers in the binder.

EXACTLY!!! Unless it's Overnight or something, I don't see what it much matters!! That's why the PO is going under!!

Honestly, why doesn't USPS charge based on volume/weight/speed and just leave it at that? How many manhours are they using to open MM packages, inspect them, reseal them, and recharge?

IF it will fit, USPS has a Bubble Mailer, i think it's like 10x12 or something (you can order a set of 15 for free on usps.com) and it's FLAT RATE of $4.95 (unless it's went up). I would guess at least 5-6 Singapore books would fit in it.

Ideas for cheaper postage for workbooks that disqualify for media mail?

I am going to sell the whole set of Standard Edition Singapore math 3 with all textbooks, workbook and CWP 3 in the fall. I am not sure what the best way is to do this if the workbooks are not media mailable.

IF it will fit, USPS has a Bubble Mailer, i think it's like 10x12 or something (you can order a set of 15 for free on usps.com) and it's FLAT RATE of $4.95 (unless it's went up). I would guess at least 5-6 Singapore books would fit in it.

Thanks for this great idea. I will try this.

Do you have a link to where it shows this on the USPS site? Never mind, I think I found it.

Thanks!

Edited by fourcatmom

The package did make it, but the post office is holding it because more money is owed. I will tell you what it is in the package so that you know what I am talking about: US edition Singapore math textbooks 2 A and 2 B plus CWP 2 with no writing in any of the books! Now I will pay the buyer the money the post office charges her. So in the end I am paying over $7 for the postage.

Has anything like this happened to you for media mail? This is my third package that got opened and charged extra just this month.

Can you help me find a cheaper way to mail things? I think I will try to sell locally or give away.

Those are media mail items, but I'm not sure what you can do. There isn't any cheaper way to ship.

Lisa

That's strange. 1. I never had any media mail opened and checked. 2. The only thing I get asked at the counter at the usps is, "Is there any correspondence, you can't sent any type of correspondence." Do you send a "thank you note" or any additional personal notes? I don't consider the packing slip correspondence, maybe the usps does.

I have had mail opened and checked and it has never been a problem until recently, when a couple of pieces were lost. I just checked the Media Mail guidelines and found this section to be of interest:

Markings that have the character of personal correspondence require, with certain exceptions, additional postage at the First-Class Mail prices. The
following written additions and enclosures do not require additional First-Class Mail postage:

a. The sender's and the addressee's names, occupations, and addresses, preceded by “From†or “To,†and directions for handling.

b. Marks, numbers, names, or letters describing the contents.

c. Words or phrases such as “Do Not Open Until Christmas†and “Happy Birthday, Mother.â€

d. Instructions and directions for the use of the item mailed.

e. A manuscript dedication or inscription not having the nature of personal correspondence.

f. Marks to call attention to words or passages in the text.

g. Corrections of typographical errors in printed matter.

h. Manuscripts accompanying related proof sheets and corrections of proof sheets including corrections of typographical and other errors, changes in the text, insertions of new text, marginal instructions to the printer, and corrective rewrites of parts.

i. Hand-stamped imprints, unless the added material is in itself personal or converts the original matter to a personal communication.

j. Matter mailable separately as Standard Mail printed on the wrapper, envelope, tag, or label.

Also, I see there is more leniency with what is mailed when the media mail qualifies as Library Mailing (one school or educational institution to another.) I wonder if we would help ourselves by addressing sold items to specific homeschool names. I don't think that would be breaking any rules, as long as we used the correct and true names of our schools. I don't know about other states but in my state homeschools are considered private schools.

IMO, we should not be getting charged a higher rate for unused workbooks. Where would they draw the line? A Singapore textbook looks exactly like a workbook, with the exception that the workbook says "Workbook" on the front. I would strongly suggest the OP contact the local postmaster for clarification.

IMO, we should not be getting charged a higher rate for unused workbooks. Where would they draw the line? A Singapore textbook looks exactly like a workbook, with the exception that the workbook says "Workbook" on the front. I would strongly suggest the OP contact the local postmaster for clarification.

:iagree: I've used media mail for years. I've had a few packages opened and one item lost, but I've never been charged extra because of a workbook. I've sent and received new and used workbooks as well. What about mailing some of these companies do? Some companies ship media mail and they mail workbooks? :001_huh:

You might check paperbackswap on the postal forums (I haven't been over there in ages), but they have some postal employees who used to post on a regular basis. Sometimes it's one office getting scrutinized, or one office getting a little too gung-ho with the packages via a misreading of the rules.

In my own opinion I think USPS is trying to drive its media mail sector out of business. I rarely send that way and I hold my breath when I order like that. Sometimes it is cheaper to use flat rate boxes or mailers.

From the USPS website's info here...

Only these items may be mailed at the Media Mail prices:

a. Books, including books issued to supplement other books, of at least eight printed pages, consisting wholly of reading matter or scholarly bibliography, or reading matter with incidental blank spaces for notations and containing no advertising matter other than incidental announcements of books. Advertising includes paid advertising and the publishers' own advertising in display, classified, or editorial style.

So it seems like even if workbooks aren't considered reading material, they should count if you send them with the textbook they are supplementing?

Edited by cottonmama

Two of the packaged I sent just in the last two weeks were opened on the other end and got charged extra because they were either activity books or an instructional loose leaf readers schedule and comprehension questions with no empty space to use as a workbook. The buyers and I resolved it peacefully.

Another package (with two textbooks and one workbook) that was sent quite a few days ago hasn't even arrived at the buyer's yet. I am ready to pay for any loss that the buyer may suffer. But I am truly frustrated dealing with the post office.

Prior to this, I always thought workbooks were media mail. Who would buy filled-in REALLY used workbooks anyway?

How are you getting this information? If it's from the same buyer, and you don't have a paper trail from the P.O., I'd gather some proof.

How are you getting this information? If it's from the same buyer, and you don't have a paper trail from the P.O., I'd gather some proof.

They are three different buyers, so it has to be true. I covered half of the extra charge for the first two buyers and covered the full extra cost for the third buyer.

The woman who asked it they were workbooks was the same woman who handled all my packages. I drove by the office today and felt like going in to ask them to show me their policy. As one of you said, they should not have charged extra for my Singapore CWP 2 because I sold it with the two textbooks, 2A and 2 B.

Edited by aomom