Menu

raw milk drinkers....I have a couple questions for you

We live in Nebraska and good grass feed raw milk is hard to come by in our neck of the woods. But I was wondering if you are a raw milk drinker could you answer just a couple questins for me based on your raw milk situation?

1) where do you live?

2) what do you pay for a gallon of milk?

3) how often do you pick it up?

4) how far do you have to drive to get your milk?

I am a part of a 7 family group who is currently not 100% happy with our raw milk supplier and we are investigating other options...but for some of us, it might mean driving over 200 miles round trip....and paying $4 a gallon. Or driving a lot fewer miles, but paying more like $8-$9 a gallon. So we were all just curious as to what others situations are.

We pay $4.50/half gal per week ( or so) for hay/grass/some grain (although not corn) raw whole milk. We do not drink milk in glasses; we cook with it, and use it in oatmeal and cereal. We sometimes have soured milk by weeks' end, but I give it to our chickens who gobble it up. I have a special order for cream that is not factored into the $4.50.

Pick up is only 3 miles away.

If we want all grass fed, all organic, it's over $5/ half gallon, and 90 minutes r/t.

New England.

Edited by LibraryLover

1) where do you live? VA

2) what do you pay for a gallon of milk? about $6.xx

3) how often do you pick it up? weekly

4) how far do you have to drive to get your milk? 30-45 minutes one way

I have heard of buying clubs (outside VA) where the members take a turn to drive to the farm and bring milk back to a central location for pick up.

All Grassfed milk in Southern MO- $10-$12 gallon (depending if you pick up or get delivery), 2 hrs away, delivery is every 2 weeks

Raw traditional fed Mennonite Milk(on pasture but given grains as well)- $2.75 gallon, 30 min away

1) where do you live?

PA

$3.75

Whenever we need it!

We are extremely blessed to live 1 mile from an Amish Dairy Farm. We are very good friends with the owner and their family. I do a bunch of driving for them since we have a big van. :D It is one of the reasons that I do not want to move even though I am not happy with our house. I have friends who live in MD where raw milk sales are illegal and I will often meet them somewhere and drop off several gallons of milk for them. Raw milk keeps much longer than pasteurized.

Good luck with your quest for raw milk :)

We live in Nebraska and good grass feed raw milk is hard to come by in our neck of the woods. But I was wondering if you are a raw milk drinker could you answer just a couple questins for me based on your raw milk situation?

1) where do you live?

Upstate New York

We are a cow share program, so we are paying for the upkeep of our share of a cow. That happens to work out to about 6$ per share. A share of a cow is about 1 gallon per week.

Once a week. It could be twice, but we don't use one of the pick up locations

We don't. We walk around the corner. Our farmer delivers to a location in our 'city' and people come to pick it up. In our state a farmer can sell raw milk from her/his own farm. It is against the law to deliver raw milk for sale. However, anyone who owns a cow is entitled to the products of said cow no matter where they live. So, I own a bit of a cow.

HTH

1) where do you live?

Connecticut. Raw milk is legal here.

It's sold in glass half gallon or quart containers. I get the half gallon for $5

Weekly

Just down the street-- our local farm supply store has a small grocery area with local milk & other dairy, honey, eggs etc. We also have two food co-ops about 15 minutes away in opposite directions that carry it. I could get it directly at the local farms, but find it convenient to pick it up while I'm out getting other items.

1) where do you live? Washington state

2) what do you pay for a gallon of milk? Free

3) how often do you pick it up? My daughter milks our goat every morning

4) how far do you have to drive to get your milk? n/a

I know you were meaning IF you drive to buy milk but this is our experience (above). That said, I do know of a group of about 14 families locally that take turns driving about 2 hours to buy their milk, paying $10/gallon.

We live in Washington.

$10 a gallon for Raw, grass-fed, organic milk.

I drive to the co-op which is about 10 miles away, but it is also available at the grocery store 3 miles away. I prefer to go to the co-op. :)

We buy one gallon a week in the form of two glass half-gallon jars.

Eta- We also buy a gallon of vat-pasteurized whole milk from the same dairy for our cooking needs. $6 a gallon for that. We buy another 3-4 gallons a week of 'nasty' milk for the husband who drinks it like it's water and doesn't like the 'flavor' of our REAL milk. hahaha!

I know you are asking about buying milk and obviously in the states and I don't really apply for either as I'm in Alberta and have two jersey cows of my own but I thought I would say a couple things anyway.

You should pick your milk up 1-2 times a week. I NEVER suggest drinking unpasteurized milk past 4 days. If you want it to last longer, make half of it into yogurt and get your 'milk' that way. Make sure you know exactly what their milking process is and how sanitary they are. Just knowing what the cows are making the milk from is not really enough.

Milk can be an amazing thing, but it can also be the best way to transport not so good bacteria. Make sure you know how they handle and quarantine sick cows as well.

I live in California

I pay between 8-9 dollars a gallon. I buy 1 gallon a week

I pick up my milk once a week. I can walk to my pick-up spot. I pay extra for the privilege, but I think it is worth it.

My husband chooses not to drink raw milk, and I buy another gallon for him every other week or so.

1) where do you live?

Western Wisconsin

$2.25 (NOT ORGANIC)

As often as I need milk? Once a week... Sometimes more, sometimes less.

15 miles

Store bought milk is $4.50 a gallon, unless its on sale.

Edited by REv1053
ETA: Cost of store bought milk.

1) where do you live? Washington state

2) what do you pay for a gallon of milk? Free

3) how often do you pick it up? My daughter milks our goat every morning

4) how far do you have to drive to get your milk? n/a

Same here

1. Alaska

2. I honestly have not broke down the cost

3. Son milks in the morning, I or DH milk in the evening.

4. n/a

I didn't realize what the cost was for raw milk. Now I'm curious to know what a gallon of ours is costing us.

1) where do you live? Maryland (not legal to sell here)

2) what do you pay for a gallon of milk? $6/gallon plus delivery fee

3) how often do you pick it up? weekly

4) how far do you have to drive to get your milk? 8 miles to drop-off location, farm is actually about 80 miles away

Store bought milk runs $2.50 a Costco to $3.50-4.00 at the store - it's varied a lot in recent years but the price seems to be a little lower these days.

This is for grass fed, btw. For a while I was driving about 45-50 miles one-way to pick up milk in PA but it wasn't grass fed and I think it was closer to $4.50 or $5.00 a gallon.

Edited by xixstar

1) where do you live? San Antonio, TX

2) what do you pay for a gallon of milk? around her it goes between $6 and $7 per gallon, but our farmer will let us have milk that is older than 2 weeks for $2. We use it for yoghurt or cheese.

3) how often do you pick it up? weekly or bi-weekly is common here

4) how far do you have to drive to get your milk? I was driving about 45 mins and then I would get 2 weeks worth, but then our former decided to drive in once a week and now I only drive 10mins to the drop point.

I actually am not sure how much a gallon of regular milk costs in the store. Organic milk is about $5.50 or $6 per gallon.

Edited by jenr