Menu

pre-algebra for grade 2 or 3?

Writerdaddy

I am looking for resources for early imprinting of algebraic concepts. Not sure how else to put it.

Looking ahead, I feel that real math starts with algebra in later grades, and I want this to feel as natural and easy as possible for my kids, who now just turned 8.

I would be especially interested in workbooks, preferably colorful, that focus almost completely on gently moving through algebraic concepts, and focus on little or nothing else.

I am already happy with my regular SM curriculum and drills and games for arithmetic and my kids are progressing nicely with this.

I have seen algebra "thinking" introduced in two workbooks we've used this year: Beginning Algebra Thinking and Primary Grade Challenge Math. Perhaps one of those would be what you are looking for? Really, though, if you're already doing the Singapore word problem books, you are laying an awesome foundation for algebra already. I stopped doing the "Beginning Algebra Thinking" workbook because it wasn't nearly as challenging as the more complicated Singapore problems. (Though we did continue with Primary Grade Challenge Math. It's so much fun that ds would ask for it. :))

ETA: Neither of the books I recommended are colorful.

hey thanks.

I am especially looking for things that focus only on algebra or paving the road for algebra.

I was wondering if primary grade challenge math and or beginning algebra thinking are consumable workbooks? I have two kids and they like to have their own things.

My kids struggle a bit with some of the SM word problems, but this is a different issue. Even I have to pause and think about it a bit sometimes. They devise really deviously logical puzzling questions sometimes, often out of the blue, after several easier ones. I think it's great for them, but it is hard sometimes to get the question.

You're welcome. Yes, both are consumable workbooks. However, the Primary Grade Challenge Math book is a nice, big (paperback) book so ds does the problems in another notebook. The Algebra Thinking workbook was much cheaper and is a flimsy thing, so I just have him write in it and we'll throw it away after he's done with it.

You'll find more "prealgebra" in Singapore 5th and 6th grade (in fact, their 6th grade basically is "prealgebra"). When I first read your question, before I got to the part that you use Singapore, I was going to recommend Singapore. :lol:

Primary Grade Challenge Math definitely has some good stuff, but yeah, no consumable. We work together on a separate piece of paper. Life of Fred would also introduce some concepts, but they're sprinkled around other things, so probably not what you're looking for.

HoE is probably your best bet. And it might help your kids figure out the Singapore word problems. :D

I've felt that our regular math (Singapore, and previously Math Mammoth) has been preparing my son for "algebraic thinking" pretty well, so I haven't added anything in. He'll do prealgebra in 4th grade (or possibly end of 3rd :tongue_smilie:), and looking at what he'll be doing and what he is doing now, I think the transition should be easy.

Early Adventures in Algebra: Featuring Zero the Hero

GEMS Teacher's Guide for Grades 1—2

Written by Jaine Kopp with Kimi Hosoume

"Algebra for first and second grade?" you ask. YES! is the resounding answer. This GEMS guide is designed to build a foundation in algebraic thinking for students in the early primary grades. Using the compelling context of "Zero the Hero," students learn the important role zero plays in our number system. In a series of activities, including engaging games and challenges, students solve for unknowns, explore the concepts of equality and inequality, and represent and analyze mathematical situations using algebraic symbols. Throughout the unit, the teacher facilitates classroom discourse and encourages students to explain their thinking. Sample teacher-student dialogues are featured, based on real classroom interactions.

Also, the Dragonbox App that someone mentioned in an earlier post.

Mystery Math: A First Book of Algebra by David Adler

Algebra can be a mystery to many readers. But in this accessible introduction set in a creepy haunted house, readers will learn to find the unknown number of skeletons, ravens, and bats by using simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to solve equations. A hands-on activity further illustrates the topic by showing students how to make and use a balance scale. Vetted for accuracy by an expert in the new Common Core State Standards.

Lessons for algebraic Thinking:K-2 by Leyani Von Rotz

Recognizing that children�s understanding of number is the main focus of math instruction in the primary grades, these lessons build on arithmetic concepts and skills to develop children�s algebraic thinking. Manipulative materials, problem-solving investigations, games, and real-world and imaginary contexts support arithmetic learning while introducing ideas basic to algebra, including patterns, equivalence, and graphing.

checked out hands on equations-- its even awesomer than a colorful workbook.

It's in 4D!

thanks!

In that case since you are not opposed to using manipulatives, then I would also recommend Algebra Lab Gear for Middle School since it also uses manipulatives. I would use HoE first or use both at the same time. Or I think the video of CR linked previously would be fine too, but I believe he uses MUS-like blocks.

Any one know the differences, pros and cons, between Lab Gear Manupulatiives and Mortenson Manipulatives? (or what was referred to above as "Mus-like" manipulatives, which may or may not be a third thing).

Here is more information about the different manipulatives. Also, I thought Kuovonne gave a wonderful explanation. I bought both Lab Gear and Algeblocks, but they are not compatible with each other.

I think CR's manipulatives are the same as Mortenson's but with the former, you get to access more of his videos without paying an extra fee, since it's a bonus of buying his blocks.

If you contact the author of Lab Gear, Henri Picciotti, he will email the manual for middle school. He was the one who told me that Lab Gear manipulatives and Algeblocks are not compatible, but I like the 3D aspect of the latter.

I don't think many people use Lab Gear Middle School here, and it's more of a prealgebra program than an algebra program. He also has a high school program which we plan to use as soon as we are done with the former.

ETA: Neither is cheap with shipping, unfortunately, so I spent more on manipulatives last month than if I had just gone with CR's manipulatives. I'm hesitating on the latter for now because I really like Lab Gear and the fact that it reminds me of Miquon. Plus I need a book in my hands and videos are harder for us here (eg. slow connection).

Edited by crazyforlatin

I'm having trouble navigating Lab Gear-- can't seem to figure out where to get the manipulatives and where to get the teaching curriculum. I am looking to use manipulatives for algebra and other things for 3rd graders who are pretty good at arithmetic.

I think I probably want lab gear for middle school as the lowest level set, but confused about where to get it. The authors links just lead to more links.

I seem to believe his arguments but will go with CR if I can't find anything user friendly.

I'm having trouble navigating Lab Gear-- can't seem to figure out where to get the manipulatives and where to get the teaching curriculum. I am looking to use manipulatives for algebra and other things for 3rd graders who are pretty good at arithmetic.

I think I probably want lab gear for middle school as the lowest level set, but confused about where to get it. The authors links just lead to more links.

I seem to believe his arguments but will go with CR if I can't find anything user friendly.

Here is the link to the link to order the manipulatives (independent site) and his email is at the very bottom. You need to email him for the manual, but he does have the concepts book and high school book on his site. It takes some time to navigate his site but only because there is so much information.

I still go around in circles on his site. The link you gave leads to another link titled "where to get this stuff" or something like it, which leads to a page that doesn't have labgear, but does have a link, which leads back to the original page.

McGraw sells the manipulatives -just type in Lab Gear.

Before you order, I think it's best to take a good look at the high school manual to see or email him for the middle school manual, just to make sure it's the way you want to teach algebra. It's very hands-on.