Menu

I'm pretty MAD!!!!

Just sent an email to my son's piano teacher about the date for the recital. I knew it was coming up soon and we had not received an email with the date/time etc....

Well, I just got an email back a few mins ago that she was VERY sorry but they had the recital last Wed. **UGH** She apologized b/c somehow our email was not in the student group email she sent out with the details.

I'm so frustrated, mad, disappointed.... Accidents happen and it is what it is....but....it stinks!:glare: She is a great teacher. My son likes her very much. I'm happy with everything. I just can't believe that she didn't double check and make sure she had a response from everyone. She has a lot of students and the recital is a big deal. So, I see how she made the mistake. I just think it was careless not to make sure she had a system in place so that this didn't happen. And, I SHOULD have emailed sooner to make sure of the date. The only reason I didn't is b/c she said she was emailing everyone with the details.That was the last conversation we had which was the last day of piano lessons for the year.

Vent. over.

I know...I know... we just both like her so much. She's so good with my son.

It's just hard to 'get over' like you suggested. It makes me really mad every. time. I think about it.:confused:

That w ould be a TOUGH one to get over. I'd find a new teacher honestly. And I would tell her I appreciate everything, blah blah but I just cannot be comfortable worrying about this happening again.

I know...it's a part of the end of the year for us. I'm not sure why she was so careless with the details.

Yikes. That would definitely make me find a new teacher. I took lessons for 10 years with 3 different teachers and at all of the levels, the teachers made certain that the students were going to play at the recitals (in fact, they would make us feel bad if we weren't). That is definitely the teacher's job to make sure the student is coming and playing and well-prepared, etc. Oooh, I am getting mad just thinking about it!

It seems to me that it is weird that the recital never came up in the weeks leading up to it. Wouldn't the teacher ask what the student is planning to play? Our teacher always tells us during the lesson when the recital is. And then there are several weeks of polishing the recital piece in the lesson and at home prior to the recital.

Yes! I mentioned something about it the last two lessons we had. My son had his pieces to work on and he was going to continue to practice. She just didn't have the exact details (date and time) for me. She said she would email a reminder. I knew it would generally be two wks from the last piano practice. But no specific details.

It seems to me that it is weird that the recital never came up in the weeks leading up to it. Wouldn't the teacher ask what the student is planning to play? Our teacher always tells us during the lesson when the recital is. And then there are several weeks of polishing the recital piece in the lesson and at home prior to the recital.

:iagree: That's weird. And unprofessional. I'd be mad, too.

I would be livid honestly. Although if you otherwise like this teacher, I wouldn't necessarily leave her yet. I would tell her you and your son are extremely disappointed, and it's important that your son has an opportunity to do a performance soon and put the ball in her court and see what she comes up with.

We've worked with a number of music teachers over the years and not all of them are them the most organized. :glare: My daughter's violin teacher annoys me on a regular basis (although nothing this major for a while). But she's fantastic with my daughter and really works well for her personality right now (and she's not necessarily an easy fit). So it's hard to balance. My daughter's first violin teacher was extremely organized. But didn't work at all well with my child and just couldn't click with her.

Yes, I know. I guess I've been pondering on that one too. :confused:

I'm shocked that she appears to be so relaxed about the whole thing. I look at this as something they've been working toward all year.

She mentioned in the email that she had wondered where my son was that night.... again...getting mad!

Surely there is another likable piano teacher in town. I would find a new teacher, and I'd let her know why. That is inexcusable!

When your son wasn't present at the recital she should have followed up to find out why!

I am shocked.

Yes, I know. I guess I've been pondering on that one too. :confused:

I'm shocked that she appears to be so relaxed about the whole thing. I look at this as something they've been working toward all year.

She mentioned in the email that she had wondered where my son was that night.... again...getting mad!

I would be seeing red. I would wait to cool off before deciding what to do next, though.

Weird how I can connect your situation to your avatar/name. I have been so fond of the name you picked...it sounds so warm, tender, and loving....and also being the mom of 4browneyedboysANDgirls myself (2 of 6 have blue eyes, like their mama).

So...that aside, how could she do that to one of your browneyedboys?

The nerve. She should offer you a discount on next year's lessons...or I'll never speak to her again...in fact, consider it done.

Edited by Geo

Thanks everyone...this is just one of those crazy things that happens. I really do like her. But, in this situation, I'm just stunned that this happened. I will think on it this summer and see what happens. I might get over it and be fine. Or...maybe someone else will come into the picture and be a perfect solution. You never know! I'm glad we have summer break to work it out.

I'd spend the summer looking at other music teachers. If you don't find one you want to try, you can always re-up with her in the fall. Honestly, I know mistakes happen, but that is kind of a BIG one. I mean, I don't teach music, but unless I got an email saying "We can't make that date/time", I would have contacted you to see if you knew what was going on. Didn't she have at least one rehearsal prior to the recital? I would think that she'd have gotten a clue then that you weren't in the loop. I don't think not hearing back from you can be taken as you declining to be in the recital.

Oh, you are sooo sweet! It's funny b/c my littlest man has blue eyes like me! :D So, I never had to change my avatar name. :001_smile: I never, ever thought I would have a blue eyed little boy with blond hair!!!! It just goes to show that if you keep on...keepin' on...you never know what you will have!:D:D

And, yeah, I do kinda feel like he was an afterthought. The situation makes me feel really sad for him b/c this is the one thing he loves to do. He doesn't like sports or things of that nature. So, it was a very big deal for him.

Weird how I can connect your situation to your avatar/name. I have been so fond of the name you picked...it sounds so warm, tender, and loving....and also being the mom of 4browneyedboysANDgirls myself (2 of 6 have blue eyes, like their mama).

So...that aside, how could she do that to one of your browneyedboys?

The nerve. She should offer you a discount on next year's lessons...or I'll never speak to her again...in fact, consider it done.

:iagree:

Our piano teacher would always nag my son about dress code for the recital, directions, and more weeks leading up to the event. 2 songs were only for the recital and she made sure you were perfect weeks before the performance. I find it unprofessional that the OP's teacher dropped the ball. Wow. :confused:

Wow...maybe she is just really relaxed and I didn't know it. She left the date TBA toward the end of the year. She doesn't nag at all. She doesn't stress perfection...just the joy of playing the piano. She's never contacted me over any concerns or anything. He just has his lesson and that's, that. He had two songs to perform, and they practiced those toward the end of the lessons for the year. I really don't have any other teachers to compare her too. Maybe she is too relaxed.:confused:

Our piano teacher would always nag my son about dress code for the recital, directions, and more weeks leading up to the event. 2 songs were only for the recital and she made sure you were perfect weeks before the performance. I find it unprofessional that the OP's teacher dropped the ball. Wow. :confused:

I can see why you would be disappointed but I would not give up an otherwise wonderful piano teacher over one mistake for which she has sincerely apologized. Yes it was unprofessional but it was a one-time mistake due to an email oversight. If you can forgive and move on, it doesn't sound like it will be a recurring problem. Now if there were multiple incidents or other issues, I would have a different response.

We have a fabulous teacher who does recitals once a year. One year she decided not to have one because she was too busy. We just had the grandparents over for cake and a piano performance. (I love seeing my boys perform at recitals but we've had 8 years of recitals so far and one year off was actually kind of nice.) You could also call a nursing home and see if they would like to have your children perform there.

I don't mean to trivialize your disappointment, I am just thinking of how great our teacher is and how difficult it would be to start over with finding a quality teacher, building up rapport with the kids, etc.

Yikes. That would definitely make me find a new teacher. I took lessons for 10 years with 3 different teachers and at all of the levels, the teachers made certain that the students were going to play at the recitals (in fact, they would make us feel bad if we weren't). That is definitely the teacher's job to make sure the student is coming and playing and well-prepared, etc. Oooh, I am getting mad just thinking about it!

And it was LAST week, and she didn't call to check on you after the apparent no-show? I think perhaps she has too many students if such important details are falling through the cracks.

Ours does this too. The last lesson before the recital is at the church where the recital takes place, so the kids are familiar with the layout and how it will feel to be up front. She also gives instruction on how to behave as an audience while others are playing their pieces.

Our teacher also gives us the tentative/darn-close-to-permanent date for the April recital in the beginning of the piano year in September. I love her. If I had the OP's experience, I would really want to find a new teacher. She might be great with your son, but you are getting shortchanged on parts of the entire instructional experience.

:grouphug::grouphug:

And it was LAST week, and she didn't call to check on you after the apparent no-show? I think perhaps she has too many students if such important details are falling through the cracks.

:iagree: I've had a lot of piano students at one time in the past. I know it can be difficult to keep track of everyone. But recitals are a big deal. It was always very important to me that every student be prepared and ready to go. Unless you have a history of flakiness and not showing up to things (which I highly doubt), it seems strange to me, too, that she wouldn't have checked in with you after the fact to find out what happened.

However, I also agree that if you have a really good fit with this teacher that you should give her another chance. I would hope she'd be embarrassed enough not to let this happen again, at least not with your family.