Menu

Patrick Henry College

I'm only posting because you've received no comments yet. Out of casual interest, I recently read God's Harvard. While the (liberal) author was blatantly and repeatedly condescending toward the school and the students, I was able to wade through her garbage and appreciate the school (despite her best intentions, I'm sure). I also found a free documentary-type show online, although I didn't watch it. It should be easy to find.

The students came across as the kind of kids I would like mine to be around.:001_smile:

We drove by and stopped for a bit last month. We've been supporting the library for years but hadn't seen the school.

Purcellville is far outside DC. The area was farms and still has many farms. There are also large estates for those who work in or with DC but who are willing to do a 2 hour commute.

The campus was tidy and will be pretty in another decade but now just seemed new. It didn't appear to be in close walking distance of much. I would ask about car parking policies because while there is lots to do on weekends in DC you have to get there first.

That's all rather superficial I know. We didn't tour or hear a presentation.

We'd parked there about a half hour and a young staff member did come up to ask if we needed help or if he could answer questions.

I just signed my daughter up for their AP English Language and Composition class for the fall. I am hoping it will be good. Everything I have read about it is that it is rigorous and organized. :001_smile:

A boy from my son's Scout troop went to PHC last fall. He really enjoys it but his mother said that he is struggling academically. He is majoring in political science.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

My only contribution to this thread would be to make sure your dd is sure about her major as PHC is rather limited in its offerings. Also, as another poster mentioned, being in the middle of nowhere can be absolutely stultifying for some young people. Some kids don't mind (mine do!) but weekend after weekend of watching cows and grass grow can grate on some kids.

Yolanda

It's not really out in the middle of nowhere. There are several shopping centers within walking distance of PHC, containing a Harris Teeter, a Giant (supermarket), a Chipotle (coming soon), several coffeeshops, restaurants, and small stores. Leesburg is 10 minutes away, and it has plenty of shopping, movie, and dining opportunities. Middleburg is south of Purcellville, if you're into horses. The Appalachian Trail is not far away.

PHC has an excellent choral group, the theatre group puts on wonderful plays each year (they put on a production of Midsummer Night's Dream this year that was extremely well-done), and there are small sports teams. PHC boasts some of the best college debaters in the world. Students get involved in plenty of volunteer work and internships. There's a huge amount of political involvement for those who enjoy politics.

The students at PHC are some of the most interesting and delightful young people I've ever met. They are without exception articulate, well-informed, and genuinely polite.

PHC offers Teen Camps every year for high schoolers. My daughter will be going to Leadership Camp in June and Debate Camp in July.

I heard only good reports about PHC from EVERY family (at least 6 or more) that I have talked to who has a student at the school. I would send my children there if they were interested in political science, history, english etc.

My only contribution to this thread would be to make sure your dd is sure about her major as PHC is rather limited in its offerings. Also, as another poster mentioned, being in the middle of nowhere can be absolutely stultifying for some young people. Some kids don't mind (mine do!) but weekend after weekend of watching cows and grass grow can grate on some kids.

Yolanda

Purcellville is definitely not a super-rural area and is not in the middle of nowhere. It is 15 minutes to Leesburg, which is a good-sized town with a large theater, Wegman's, outlet mall, etc. Another 10 minutes gets you to a large mall and many other stores. It's only an hour outside of DC. You definitely need a car, though!

Lisa

One of them was on a panel of homeschool graduates who spoke to our support group about life after homeschool. He was intelligent, articulate and humble, and he had a good sense of humor. More impressively, he has gone on to graduate as a person who has a passion for life long learning. He reads and studies for self edification. His parents are intelligent, humble and compassionate people who have spoken very highly of PHC and have sent their second son there. They said that PHC is more generous with financial aid than is Biola University, another well regarded Christian school. They did mention that there was a dress code (business casual) but I don't know what that is for girls. HTH.

I'm only posting because you've received no comments yet. Out of casual interest, I recently read God's Harvard. While the (liberal) author was blatantly and repeatedly condescending toward the school and the students, I was able to wade through her garbage and appreciate the school (despite her best intentions, I'm sure). I also found a free documentary-type show online, although I didn't watch it. It should be easy to find.

The students came across as the kind of kids I would like mine to be around.:001_smile:

What a crazy book! Do you think the author spent the year there because she was actually a student who got mad and wrote the book, or what other reason could the author have for spending that much of her life there for one probably low interest book?

Julie

I had two students who loved everything about it EXCEPT their experience in the Latin 1 correspondence course. The course consisted of getting through all of Wheelock in a year and taking exams with absolutely no instruction or guidance from the school at all. Once these students moved onto campus and enrolled in traditional classes, they loved the school and the Latin classes...one even majored in Classical Liberal Arts.

Do you know if they allow freshmen cars? Both dh and I attended colleges that only allowed seniors cars (with few exceptions). I didn't notice much campus parking, which is what got me wondering.

I agree that DC is well within reach for weekends. Actual time would depend on traffic (as do all DC commutes).

But there isn't a town right off campus either. That may be neither good nor bad.

What a crazy book! Do you think the author spent the year there because she was actually a student who got mad and wrote the book, or what other reason could the author have for spending that much of her life there for one probably low interest book?

Julie

No, she was never a student and never would have any interest in attending the school. She's a writer who perhaps could not find a gig in her own interests (sarcasm!) so had to bag on Christians. Honestly, I don't understand why PHC would have given her such a long period of freedom on campus to do so, but apparently they did.:confused: What bothered me were the blurbs on her book referring to her as a "journalist."

Guest bookmom2

My son is a rising sophomore at PHC, and we couldn't be more pleased. He took College-level Writing and Research and Writing as a high school senior which PHC offered. He did not do any of the AP courses. I can't say enough wonderful things about his professors, the college leadership, and the campus atmosphere. I asked him once if he ever dreaded going to class--his reply: We all look forward to class. I asked him once if it was worth it to study so much--his reply: Mom, I love it here. He has grown in his walk with the Lord; he has wonderful friends; he has great respect for his professors. He is getting a fantastic education, and he's having a lot of fun--not to mention opportunities in music and sports. I prayed for three years that the Lord would make a way for him to attend PHC. We are so grateful for the vision of Mike Farris and others.

We are from a large urban area, and our son loves the smaller-town atmosphere, being in the mountains, seeing the farms here and there, and going to Leesburg occasionally to shop or go to a movie. There are plenty of places to shop for groceries and get a bite to eat in Purcellville (within walking distance). Many churches send vans for the students on Sunday mornings. There is plenty of parking for student cars. If you visit, you will be impressed!

Did Patrick Henry get regional accreditation? A few years back when we first encountered the school, it didn't have that yet, but was trying to get it. My youngest won't be interested in the school (different major), but I'm thinking some kids at school may very well be, so I'd like to update my knowledge for any future reference.

Julie

This sort of book is fairly common on a wide variety of subjects.

I suspect the author decided to do the project while investigating this story:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2006/mayweb-only/120-12.0.html

I think the book and the professor firing were two entirely different things. The book ridiculed the college but as far as I can remember it wasn't blatantly hostile toward it. For example, I think I remember something in the book about registration day and the huge mini-vans (containing large homeschooled families) arriving on campus. A writer can make that sound goofy, but there's nothing actually wrong with it. I think the author actually enjoyed her time among the students at PHC and liked getting to know them. Too bad she felt she had to turn on them to sell her book.

The professor firing was a larger issue that helped to define the college's mission. It changed it from being Dr. Farris's "baby," reflecting his very strong political and theological ideology, to being more subdued. I don't know how to explain it, but the new president, Dr. Walker, is much more moderate. I was on Dr. Farris's side during the firing controversy, and I still think very highly of him, but I think the college has a softer tone lately. Just my opinion.

I think the book and the professor firing were two entirely different things.

You've slightly misread what I wrote which was I suspect the writer may have decided to do the project because of the faculty firing incident.

I'm mostly going on timing. Look at the timing of the event and copyright of the book. Timing seems right for the faculty firing which made a lot of news sources to be the trigger for this woman to decide on the project.

I get that she may have not focused on that in the book because by the time she's done her year and then wrote and found a publisher that would have been old news, but as the trigger, I'm fairly confident that is a strong possibility.

Their accreditation was recently renewed for 10 years.

http://www.phc.edu/20120403_tracs.php

Unless I'm reading it incorrectly, it looks like a National Accreditation vs a Regional Accreditation. Did they quit trying for regional?

To those who are wondering why it would make a difference, here's the Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_accreditation

Scroll to #3. It has to do with how other colleges (and grad schools, etc) see the credits/degree. I have a tough time recommending a school without regional accreditation, but I firmly believe, "to each their own," so I'll refrain from more posts on this thread. ;)

Otherwise, I hope they continue pursuing it... but I didn't see that on the last link - hence - my question.

Edited by creekland

below is the wiki piece about national vs regional. It is a valid question- but I do know that the gradautes (the Harris brothers attend PHC) go on to excellent colleges. PHC Moot/debate took several of the top places this past year. I do not think anyone would question the quality of the education, and it is not as easy to get in as it used to be- the standards are there.

I think- but do not know- that the answer lies in perhaps the teacher firing controversy and their decision to keep teaching creation. Maybe that is making regional more difficult. if so, I am okay with that....................

Regionally accredited higher education institutions are predominantly academically oriented, non-profit institutions.[11][12][13] Nationally accredited schools are predominantly for-profit and offer vocational, career or technical programs.[11][12]

Every college has the right to set standards and refuse to accept transfer credits.[14] However, if a student has gone to a nationally accredited school it may be particularly difficult to transfer credits (or even credit for a degree earned) if he or she then applies to a regionally accredited college.[12] A 2005 study by the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) found that, in making decisions on credit transfer, about 84 percent of U.S. higher education institutions considered whether the sending institution is accredited, and many had policies stating that they would accept credits only from regionally accredited institutions.[15] About 63 percent of institutions told the GAO that they would accept credit from any regionally accredited institution, but only 14 percent similarly accepted credits from nationally accredited schools.[15] One reason given for regional institutions' reluctance to accept credits from nationally accredited institutions is that national accreditors have less stringent standards for criteria such as faculty qualifications and library resources.[15] Students who are planning to transfer credits from a nationally accredited school to a regionally accredited school are advised to ensure that the regionally accredited school will accept the credits before they enroll.[11][12][14]

In general, the names of U.S. post-secondary institutions and their degree titles do not indicate whether the institution is accredited or the type of accreditation it holds. Rules on this topic vary from state to state. Regulations of the Tennessee Higher Education Commission require that post-secondary institutions in the state of Tennessee must be regionally accredited to use the word "university" in their names, and that a school lacking regional accreditation may not use the word "college" in its name without adding a qualifier such as "career", "vocational", "business", "technical", "art", "Bible", or "Christian". Tennessee rules also specify that only regionally accredited schools can issue "liberal arts" degrees or degree titles such as Associate of Arts or Science and Bachelor of Arts or Science.[16]

I mentally categorize it with Bob Jones and Liberty. Obviously not my cuppa and not what i think higher ed is about. Agenda driven education isnt my idea of education at all.

You'd be hard pressed to find public or private education without an agenda, particularly in higher ed. This just happens to be one with which you don't agree.

I do know that the gradautes (the Harris brothers attend PHC) go on to excellent colleges. PHC Moot/debate took several of the top places this past year. I do not think anyone would question the quality of the education

Not only do they go on to top law schools but they excel in performance as well-from law review to National Law school moot court tournaments- and then on to judicial clerkships.

Their Moot Court team has won 6 out of 8 national championships including the past 4 years consecutively. This past year they won all the Moot Court Regional tournaments. They always qualify the maximum number of teams a school can take to Nationals.

Is there a Christian college that caters to science and math majors specifically Premed that is similar to PHC? Maybe there are others wishing for this for their science and math students?

We didn't really find anything when we searched. There are several Christian colleges any of which would be suitable for pre-med at some level, but none we found that did the level of research and classes that we were looking for.

Noting the above (not so many higher level opportunities), if you want some with the highest incoming stats, look at Wheaton - IL (more Christian), Grove City (more conservative politically) or Pepperdine (less Christian). If you want YEC, then Cedarville tops the incoming stats. (This was not a concern for us, but just putting it out there FYI if you care.) If you want large, then either Liberty or Baylor are options. You'd have to check out their level of Christian-ness to see if it fits. Some complain about Liberty being too conservative and others about Baylor being too liberal. My guy was accepted to Baylor, but we didn't get around to checking it out a ton when he decided he wanted neuroscience instead of microbio, plus, they don't have the level of research in what he wants to research (again, neuro-related).

So, he's going to a secular school with our blessings... and has already found himself a Christian roomie he's looking forward to meeting. I know God has a plan for him. Both hubby and I went to secular schools with no regrets... and kept our morals, principles, and faith. It can happen.

The college guide, Choosing the Right College, can be helpful at giving one an insight into the feel of various colleges. My guys didn't even consider any with red lights... too liberal for my money. U of Rochester is a green light school. (Lights are for conservative political tolerance, not Christian views.)

http://www.collegeguide.org/itembrowse.aspx?f=&m=1&p=1&s=

If you want to see what reports look like, you used to be able to use the code 3FREE at checkout to look at 3 of your choice.

FWIW, Patrick Henry has a review on there too - I just checked. I didn't read it though, our subscription expired a month ago.

You'd be hard pressed to find public or private education without an agenda, particularly in higher ed. This just happens to be one with which you don't agree.
I completely disagree. Tho I know this has been the cherished belief of those who love to pretend to martyrdom for eons.

You might be surprised, calandalsmom. The college I went to (within the University of Minnesota) was embroiled in agenda battles with the accreditation agency, who had a different political/philosophical track and was holding back accreditation unless the college streamlined their course content in the direction the agency believed in. It had nothing to do with higher expectations, but everything to do with viewpoints.

Another example would be a book I read by a college professor and later president of Smith College, Jill Ker Conway. Lots of conflicting agendas are described at universities in Australia, the USA (at Harvard and at Smith), and Canada. She is describing the 1950s-70s, but sometimes hindsight shows things up more clearly.

There is more going on behind the scenes than universities share with students.

You might be surprised, calandalsmom. The college I went to (within the University of Minnesota) was embroiled in agenda battles with the accreditation agency, who had a different political/philosophical track and was holding back accreditation unless the college streamlined their course content in the direction the agency believed in. It had nothing to do with higher expectations, but everything to do with viewpoints.

Another example would be a book I read by a college professor and later president of Smith College, Jill Ker Conway. Lots of conflicting agendas are described at universities in Australia, the USA (at Harvard and at Smith), and Canada. She is describing the 1950s-70s, but sometimes hindsight shows things up more clearly.

There is more going on behind the scenes than universities share with students.

Yup, everyone has agendas. My dad taught microbiology in a med school they all had agendas, too. Not necessarily ones that the rest of the world might find interesting. Although some were somewhat to be expectd MDs vs. PhDs. etc.

Yup, everyone has agendas. My dad taught microbiology in a med school they all had agendas, too. Not necessarily ones that the rest of the world might find interesting. Although some were somewhat to be expectd MDs vs. PhDs. etc.

:iagree: Where there are humans involved, there are agendas. The same applies at the high school level with teachers, the school, and the state (all levels). Not all agendas deal with religion or politics - some do. Others may deal with a particular way of doing things (like fuzzy math or phonics), but the attitudes involved can be just as intense complete with shunning those who disagree.

Edited by creekland

Is there a Christian college that caters to science and math majors specifically Premed that is similar to PHC? Maybe there are others wishing for this for their science and math students?

Our oldest son went to Covenant College (Lookout Mountain, Ga)--its very close to Chattanooga, TN. He rec'd a BA in philosophy there in 2005.

Now he is entering William & Mary Law with a nice scholarship, even though he only had a B average from Covenant! He hadn't worked hard at maintaining a 4.0, since he didn't have *any* idea of going to grad school, much less to law school. Then last year after getting married, he decided he wanted to go to law school. So he studied up for the LSAT and did well.

His good friend (and first roommate) from Covenant went to University of Ga Med school and is now a doctor, another Covenant friend is a lawyer at a big firm in Chicago, etc. etc. These are just the ones I know personally thru my son, but I'm sure there are many other doctors and scientists from there. Covenant is a small liberal arts college, and so I thought that these guys would be sacrificing their chances for getting into Law and Medical school, unless they had the most perfect records--but I was wrong.

I've been most impressed by the reputation that Covenant has! Over the past few years we've heard from two sources that its reputation in the secular world is *very* good. One time my husband struck up a conversation with a guy who was a talent scout for a specialized university in AZ; when he heard that our son was at Covenant, he said that's great. He said that little college is getting to be well known for turning out thinkers (words to that affect). And another source said that grad schools 'weight a GPA' from Covenant. (I didn't know that Grad schools did that with colleges)

Wheaton College has always had a similar reputation, but it is getting a little bit liberal in certain departments. (Though I just loved Wheaton when I was there 1971- 1972; I was sorry that I had to finish up at U of Florida, but that's another story.)

Bottom line: Covenant is a small Christian college that is getting graduates into some impressive grad schools.

So we had our visit with PHC and were all thoroughly impressed. When we arrived there was a sign with my son's name on it welcoming him to the college, which scored big points with him. ;) They are definitely concerned with the whole student, not just academics, and want to raise up leaders in the Lord. So if you are not a conservative Christian, this school would obviously not appeal to you. We all loved it. My son is a little concerned about the small size. I think he has visions of the whole "college experience" that he is afraid he won't get there, but for what he wants to do with his life, I think it is perfect. I really liked the way the lady who was leading us on the tour knew everyone she saw. It had a real community feel to it. I wish I could go!!:D

Forgot to add: they have a "wall of fame" of some of the graduates. They have some kids that have gone on to do very interesting, exciting things like working for National Geographic, politics, authors, etc.

Edited by Kim in SouthGa

• 10 months later...

I don't come around much anymore but I would like to contribute to this thread, old though it may be. My oldest son is finishing up his second year at PHC and couldn't be happier (that's him in my avatar on a school trip to Rome.) He is receiving an excellent education (history major.) We have not found the stereotypes we heard about prior to attending to be true at all. Lock-step ultra conservative awkward home schoolers bowing at the hem of Farris's robe? Not so much. I dare say the writing instruction received at PHC would even make SWB smile. Yes, it's small and that's not a good fit for all (not good for my graduating 18yo) but Ben thrives in that sphere. I can't speak well enough of the place. I adore Dr. Walker. Talk about a humble man! The professors take a real interest in how the students are doing, at least I can say that much about the history professors. Financially PHC has pulled back a bit on aid, thankfully so far so good for us. Ben is working on campus this summer, good for his pocketbook but bad for his mother who misses him. :crying:

Although you're posting on an old thread, thank you!! My son is going to attend PHC as a freshman this fall, and he is on cloud nine. Although, like you, I am afraid once he gets there it may be awhile until I see him. We live in Oregon so I asked if he really had to pick one of the furthest states to go to! <sniff> I am excited for him though.

Hi Terri,

Congratulations to your son! Oregon is far. I am thankful to live in NJ and so PHC is close enough to visit and fetch Ben when we want, but far enough to prevent me from being one of those parents :ph34r:

Freshman year can be tough, especially for those students involved in debate and moot court. But the guys at PHC seem to have a deep camaraderie and are very supportive.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions or you want my son's email for any reason.

karen@ciavo.com

I don't come around much anymore but I would like to contribute to this thread, old though it may be. My oldest son is finishing up his second year at PHC and couldn't be happier (that's him in my avatar on a school trip to Rome.) He is receiving an excellent education (history major.) We have not found the stereotypes we heard about prior to attending to be true at all. Lock-step ultra conservative awkward home schoolers bowing at the hem of Farris's robe? Not so much. I dare say the writing instruction received at PHC would even make SWB smile. Yes, it's small and that's not a good fit for all (not good for my graduating 18yo) but Ben thrives in that sphere. I can't speak well enough of the place. I adore Dr. Walker. Talk about a humble man! The professors take a real interest in how the students are doing, at least I can say that much about the history professors. Financially PHC has pulled back a bit on aid, thankfully so far so good for us. Ben is working on campus this summer, good for his pocketbook but bad for his mother who misses him. :crying:

I have a question about professors if you don't mind. Since it is a small school does he tend to have the same profs each year or even multiple times in a semester?

He has never had the same professor more than once in a semester. There are 55 professors including associate and adjunct and they all have their specialties. When Ben studies ancient history for example he tends to have Dr. Favelo, Dr. Spinney teaches American history, and 20th century history is Dr. Aikman; he is fascinating by the way having worked as a foreign and senior correspondent at Time magazine for 20+ years.