Menu

If you have celiac or wheat sensitivity, how long until symptoms appear after eating?

While still eating, my belly blows up until I cannot even button my pants. I have some digestive issues within an hr or so. Fwiw though before I was 100% off it wasn't as noticeable or as quick as my body had low levels all the time.

Not me, but DD. If it's a small exposure (traces) we know within 15-20 minutes. Things "move through" quickly and after a couple of hours she's back to normal. If it's a large exposure (actually eating something with gluten in it) it can take anything up to 24 hours for the digestive issues to kick in, but her behaviour changes within about half ann hour - she's not old enough to tell us what's going on but she's not a happy camper, and appears to get headaches, perhaps a sore throat, sometimes she seems to have ear trouble, she's tearful (and defiant <sigh>) and sometimes hyperactive. Within an hour she'll have hives, 12 hours for the eczema and once the upset tummy hits it can be anywhere from 12 to 72 hours before she starts to come right again.

We try very hard not to have these reactions.

Let's just say that if I eat it at lunch I'll know about it by dinner. But I'm probably only in the gluten sensitivity camp instead of full blown celiac.

The symptoms are strictly digestive in the disturbance.

Thanks. I am thinking I might be sensitive too.

While still eating, my belly blows up until I cannot even button my pants. I have some digestive issues within an hr or so. Fwiw though before I was 100% off it wasn't as noticeable or as quick as my body had low levels all the time.

OK, this is exactly how I am feeling. I can eat almost anything and be fine but a meal with wheat has me feeling bloated by the end of the meal. :confused: I have been low-carb for a while but still allowing myself a bit of wheat. I think I might be at the point of having to stay completely off it. I might need to buy that Wheat Belly book. Just hearing the title was like a Eureka for me.

Not me, but DD. If it's a small exposure (traces) we know within 15-20 minutes. Things "move through" quickly and after a couple of hours she's back to normal. If it's a large exposure (actually eating something with gluten in it) it can take anything up to 24 hours for the digestive issues to kick in, but her behaviour changes within about half ann hour - she's not old enough to tell us what's going on but she's not a happy camper, and appears to get headaches, perhaps a sore throat, sometimes she seems to have ear trouble, she's tearful (and defiant <sigh>) and sometimes hyperactive. Within an hour she'll have hives, 12 hours for the eczema and once the upset tummy hits it can be anywhere from 12 to 72 hours before she starts to come right again.

Oh, wow. I can imagine it's so hard for both of you. I would hate to see my kids go through that.

I react much more quickly now than when I was first diagnosed several years ago. I now start to get abdominal issues within 15-30 minutes.

I wonder if this is because the feeling used to be the status quo and now it's the deviation from the gluten-free status quo.

I think I got used to feeling bloated all the time before going low-carb (that's actually what finally prompted me to try it). Now that I can go a few days without wheat, the bloated feeling seems to come out of nowhere instead of being a constant.

I didn't mention that my reaction is from trace amounts/cross contamination. I haven't had anything like bread or such in about 4 yrs. Reaction is certainly worse for me now, before it was low level issues all the time. Ds ends up in the bathroom a lot.

I sympathize and empathize with your DD. I become tearful, too. It usually is the first symptom that something I ate contained gluten.

I sympathize and empathize with your DD. I become tearful, too. It usually is the first symptom that something I ate contained gluten.

That's really interesting. I wonder if I experience termperment/mood issues and just haven't put it together...

I recall one patient who had radically low Vitamin levels from it. After about 2 months of strict diet, he started to look healthy. His skin was a mess when he was picked up. By 3 he looked normal. However, he could eat it and not complain of anything, unfortunately, because it meant he lapsed a lot....

Edited by kalanamak

I also get the terrible bloat within a day, and by day 2 I fall into the fits of despair and depression. I used to be depressed all the time, but in the last 3 years, it's only happened to me within 48 hours of getting glutened. Day 3 I get the fatigue and muscle aches, then I have to sleep it off until the fit passes - usually about a week. It's a sad state of affairs. I'm just glad I figured it out.

With breads I don't even have to take a bite, the minute it touches my skin or I get a smell of it I flare immediately!! I avoid the bread aisles as much as possible otherwise it becomes instantly painful for me to move certain parts my body at all!!

I will notice within a few minutes if I eat something that contains any amount of gluten.

When I took the testing for celiacs they said anything scoring over 54 was a positive sign for celiacs and I scored 587! So my sensitivity is extreme. Most don't realize but celiacs can end in death. So catching is sooner than later is best! My dr. told me that I was already on my way to planning my funeral due to how extreme my sensitivity to gluten is. My body was already starting to show signs of shutting down. And I'm only 30! Thankfully I've been gluten free since December of this year and been PAIN FREE and feel AMAZING!!! :) We are also Dairy Free and have been since February of this year due to finding out dd7 is extremely allergic to dairy.

Gluten is like a street drug. NO matter the amount you get into your body it STILL effects your body whether you notice it at all or not. So avoid it ALTOGETHER. Cutting back on gluten in your diet is like only cutting back on your street drugs. Sounds harsh to say it that way but it's the BEST way to let people know that gluten free isn't a partial option to get better or healthier...it's ALL or NOTHING. We also don't eat pork and beef. We don't eat anything that contains the preservatives BHA and BHT in them either.

It's interesting to hear how quickly everybody reacts. I went off gluten this past November on a whim, because everyone was talking about sensitivity symptoms. I was curious. Within a week I noticed considerable changes to how I felt after eating and my continual headaches and brain fog went away. Lately I've been thinking that I can tell if I've ingested gluten even before I've finished a meal. I wondered if it might be in my head though, kwim? Apparently, not.

I also get the terrible bloat within a day, and by day 2 I fall into the fits of despair and depression. I used to be depressed all the time, but in the last 3 years, it's only happened to me within 48 hours of getting glutened. Day 3 I get the fatigue and muscle aches, then I have to sleep it off until the fit passes - usually about a week. It's a sad state of affairs. I'm just glad I figured it out.

:ohmy: I can't believe that I didn't make this connection until right this minute!

I love the phrase "getting glutened". I think I will steal that if you don't mind. :D

Thank you for sharing that you were depressed. I, too, suffered from depression and am amazed that much of it was caused by what I was eating.

I agree wholeheartedly with the bolded statement. Every day I am thankful that I have some control and no longer feel the way I did.

I have depression issues as well but haven't had that just from trace or cross contamination. The summer before I went 100% gf for good we went on vacation and I decided to splurge as before I didn't hardly eat grains, let alone gluten. That set up a 3 month depression, I was on the couch for the whole summer and finally decided to go 100% gf. That fall we did testing for ds. I never felt the need for myself, it wasn't worth it to me. Given my genetics, history and reaction that was enough of proof positive for me.

Thanks so much for sharing, everyone. The fatigue and muscle ache symptoms are interesting. I periodically (a couple of times a month?) get the hit by a truck feeling you get when you're coming down with the flu and then it passes. I find that very peculiar. I was attributing it to my cycle but I don't think that's it after all. It occurred to me recently how I generally feel great when I'm off carbs and the only time I feel cruddy is when I'm back on. Now, however, I think I need to do a specific trial with gluten, not all carbs.

Thanks again!

:ohmy: I can't believe that I didn't make this connection until right this minute!

It was my husband who put it together for me, after the second episode. It's usually so bad that he's afraid I'm going to do something terrible and he watches me like a hawk. Poor guy puts up with a lot from me!

I love the phrase "getting glutened". I think I will steal that if you don't mind. :D

Thank you for sharing that you were depressed. I, too, suffered from depression and am amazed that much of it was caused by what I was eating.

I agree wholeheartedly with the bolded statement. Every day I am thankful that I have some control and no longer feel the way I did.

I'm pretty sure I got the phrase from the celiac.com boards, so you're welcome to it! I'm glad others out there are feeling better too, and the more people who can make these connections and get out of that funk, the better!

I also wanted to ask, is there One Best Book (or web site) where I can get a list of what's safe and what I should look out for?

I wish. I found a lot of help in the celiac.com forums - that's my go to search when I'm not sure about a food. I also liked this book: The Gluten Connection. I hope others will chime in with their favorites as well.

I like the "getting glutened" phrase too. I've been off all gluten since November, but I always know when I accidently got a trace amount somewhere.

I've not noticed any mental symptoms other that what others have mentioned--I feel like I really need to sleep. But then my main issues with gluten have always been digestive and too a lesser extent, respiratory and joints.

I am not totally grain free--I eat Teff flour, which is whole grain, but gluten free.

I also have to avoid soy and milk. However, cultured milk products don't bother me. For now.

I like the "getting glutened" phrase too. I've been off all gluten since November, but I always know when I accidently got a trace amount somewhere.

I've not noticed any mental symptoms other that what others have mentioned--I feel like I really need to sleep. But then my main issues with gluten have always been digestive and too a lesser extent, respiratory and joints.

I am not totally grain free--I eat Teff flour, which is whole grain, but gluten free.

I also have to avoid soy and milk. However, cultured milk products don't bother me. For now.

I find the respiratory issues interesting also. I keep thinking I might be getting asthma and I do have allergies that just keep getting worse all the time. My shortness of breath and allergies both popped up after a period of severe stress that followed a terrible bout with pneumonia. Makes me wonder about auto-immune stuff. I would really rather be researching HS curricula around the pool this summer than celiac.

ind the respiratory issues interesting also. I keep thinking I might be getting asthma and I do have allergies that just keep getting worse all the time. My shortness of breath and allergies both popped up after a period of severe stress that followed a terrible bout with pneumonia. Makes me wonder about auto-immune stuff. I would really rather be researching HS curricula around the pool this summer than celiac.

The respiratory stuff was an aside for me. I went gluten-free almost entirely because of my GI issues. However, I have suffered my entire life from inhalant allergies. I'm allergic to cats (which is sort of an occupational hazard!), and seemingly allergic to quite a bit of pollen. As of November I was taking about 75 mg of Bendryl twice nightly to be able to breathe at all. Needless to say, I wasn't always very functional the next morning for a few hours! And I was always so, so tired. My joints hurt pretty badly, and I've sort of always dealt with that as well. I chalked it up to getting old.:D

I went gluten-free and I've not had to take Benedryl at all, not even during my peak allergy season (early spring.) My joints no longer hurt. I have energy again.

Now, I'm not sure the allergies are gone, mind. I do occasionally feel like sneezing when the windows are all open and the wind is blowing. But I do think that decreasing the overall allergen burden by loosing the gluten has probably contributed in a major way. I suspect I've got a lot less histamine running around. I don't even blow up to mosquito bites or tick bites the way I used to.

My stomach starts feeling crampy within about 2 hours and I spend the next 24 in the bathroom. I'm gluten free for a thyroid condition. My son was just diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease and I got the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle." There's a chapter on celiacs in there and lots of good information on grains and different carbs.

The respiratory stuff was an aside for me. I went gluten-free almost entirely because of my GI issues. However, I have suffered my entire life from inhalant allergies. I'm allergic to cats (which is sort of an occupational hazard!), and seemingly allergic to quite a bit of pollen. As of November I was taking about 75 mg of Bendryl twice nightly to be able to breathe at all. Needless to say, I wasn't always very functional the next morning for a few hours! And I was always so, so tired. My joints hurt pretty badly, and I've sort of always dealt with that as well. I chalked it up to getting old.:D

I went gluten-free and I've not had to take Benedryl at all, not even during my peak allergy season (early spring.) My joints no longer hurt. I have energy again.

Now, I'm not sure the allergies are gone, mind. I do occasionally feel like sneezing when the windows are all open and the wind is blowing. But I do think that decreasing the overall allergen burden by loosing the gluten has probably contributed in a major way. I suspect I've got a lot less histamine running around. I don't even blow up to mosquito bites or tick bites the way I used to.

Yes, to this. I have OAS, unforunetly that hasn't gone away by going GF, however I no longer have to take Claritin & sudafed everyday, and I've only had to take benedryl for an allergic reaction 3 times since Nov. That's a record for me!