Menu

would you buy this? part 2 - pics included!

I don't know if these pictures will show the true colors, but the set we're considering looks lighter in person than the pics show. Our dining room floor is cherry while the dining set is maple. I don't know how it works when you're trying to put two different color woods together. An interior designer, I am not. :lol:

My DH likes our current table because it's white and he likes that it matches the white in our dining room. Our dining room is more of a modern dining room whereas this set looks very old fashioned. But, with a table cloth and maybe some chair covers I think it might make it look better. I just don't know if the cabinet will look too out of place then.

I hate making these decisions! :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/jellybean711/May2012-4fencepaintingpool080.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/jellybean711/diningroom2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/jellybean711/diningroom1.jpg

I just read the other post, and I don't think you should buy it. If you don't like the set, you will probably come to regret it. If you don't feel that you could make a different top for your current table, I also think you should just be patient and keep looking. You might be able to find something practical and more in your price range for a school/dining table.

I have my mom's old, cheap, junky table in my dining/school room. It doesn't go with anything I have in there, but it was free and it's functional and I don't hate it. I'll buy nice furniture after the kids are gone.

Does the table have a leaf? It doesn't look big enough for my tastes. I do like it, but, like you, I don't love it.

But I do like your dining room drapes. :D

It comes with 2 leaves so it's quite huge when they're in, which would be perfect for when we're working on crafts/projects.

And thank you. :D

I don't think there's anything you can do to make that set look contemporary.

Honestly, I was thinking it was really cheap, like $100 or so, and I was still recommending you pass on it.

Now, I'm insisting, so you have to do what I say. :D

PLEASE save your $650 and use it to buy something you really like. You mentioned in one of your posts that you might be able to buy this one now and get something you love in 10 years. NO! NO! NO! That is just wrong.

You can get something in the style you like for $650, and maybe even less. It won't be at Ethan Allen, but who cares? Honestly. Look at the online Ikea catalog. There's a table there that I think would be perfect for you. My dh was thinking of buying it as a conference table, but it's really a dark wood dining table, and it's expandable to a huge length. I will try to find it and post a link for you, but it might take me a few hours because I'm in the middle of doing some cooking.

But really. Don't buy that set. You will never be happy with it.

Sorry to rant, but I know you'll regret it if you buy it. It's easy to have regrets about something that you really liked, but with that thing, you'll be ready to cry about it on the way home.

Edited by Catwoman

I'd stick with what you have. Maybe get a new tabletop cut to size. You can get a larger tabletop than you currently have, and attach it to the current top, can't you? Then get a cool tablecloth.

The other set doesn't look like it's what you want, and that's a lot of money for something you don't really want. It'd be a lot cheaper to get a bigger table at Ikea to go with your chairs, and just wait until you can replace the whole set someday.

Wendi

I'd stick with what you have. Maybe get a new tabletop cut to size. You can get a larger tabletop than you currently have, and attach it to the current top, can't you? Then get a cool tablecloth.

This sounds like a good possibility. BTW, I like the overall look of the room. Very nice!

I think she currently owns the tile topped table, and is considering replacing it with the set in the 2nd and 3rd link.

I think the first set looks better in the room. I think the chair backs of the second set are very old fashioned looking. A tablecloth won't change that.

THANK YOU, Julianna!!! I just went back and edited my posts so I don't sound quite as clueless!!!

Thanks again!!!

I'll be the dissenter.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

$650 is a steal for a good quality dining room set. It's a set that would last longer then any new set for that price and one that would very likely hold it's value when I wanted to sell it rather then be fit only for a trip down to the garbage dump. I learned this lesson with my daughter's bed when we choose cheap and new over secondhand and good quality. Never again.

I think your room would change the feeling of the set quite a bit. It's in a rather old-fashioned setting but I think in your dining room with some modern accessories and place settings you'd be surprised.

I'll admit that I tend to take what I can get and then fall in love with some quality of it afterwards. I'm quite easy when it comes to the charms of second-hand, good quality furniture.

Bean, can I help you make your decision? Yes?

If you buy those, you will be buying my parents' furniture. I have an entire houseful of it to sell in the next two weeks. :lol:

If you want function and you don't care about looks, buy them. It is wonderful, solid furniture, and by the time you are ready to move on, they'll be bonafide antiques. Right now, they are just vintage.

But, I can see from the way you decorated that you do care. You have an eye for composition, so I don't think you'd be happy with them.

Wait and buy something that makes your heart sing *your* song.

I'll be the dissenter.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

$650 is a steal for a good quality dining room set. It's a set that would last longer then any new set for that price and one that would very likely hold it's value when I wanted to sell it rather then be fit only for a trip down to the garbage dump. I learned this lesson with my daughter's bed when we choose cheap and new over secondhand and good quality. Never again.

I think your room would change the feeling of the set quite a bit. It's in a rather old-fashioned setting but I think in your dining room with some modern accessories and place settings you'd be surprised.

I'll admit that I tend to take what I can get and then fall in love with some quality of it afterwards. I'm quite easy when it comes to the charms of second-hand, good quality furniture.

We paid a bit over 4500 for ours It had 6 chairs, table with leaf, china cabinet and the side bar table and I LOVE IT!!!! I mean I love it. I have old fashioned tastes though so that may be it. I also cannot stand replacing something though. I have seen those white tile top tables at the goodwill so many times and they do not age well or last in my opinion. I am 35 years old and last year my mother finally gave away the family dinner table. That set had been bought for her on her first wedding before my 40 year old brother was born.

That set went to a boys group home and they could not get over the age and the condition of the furniture. My mother has a saying that if it comes in a box to put together it is pretty much garbage. If you are picking between the sets I would go for the wood because in years to come you will still have a good quality piece of furniture.

In a heartbeat! I love the chairs and think they would work perfectly with your dining room. Not to be mean but I think the tile table is too informal for your space. Plus it isn't super functional. My recommendation is to paint the China cabinet to update the look. Personally I would choose a great accent color from your decor but you could do a white exterior with the interior in an accent color. Then for the table if you don't love the finish, paint it too. I bought a vintage large table for $30 but didn't like the stain. I painted the top black and distressed it to match my chairs. The dark stained legs are beautiful against the black. BTW, if you decide to paint, I have a recommendation. Use homemade chalk paint. I have used it on so many projects and love it. Mix baking soda with just enough water to create a slightly runny paste. Mix one part of this to one part paint (I have used craft, leftover latex, or samples). Brush on in a haphazard way. Sometimes takes two coats but dries super fast. Sand to smooth as necessary or to distress. The texture without sanding is slightly gritty but still nice. Then use a paste wax like minwax or trewax(my favorite) to seal. Only use a small amount of wax at a time. Once wax hardens it is sealed. There are many chalk paint diys online to see if you lime. I will never use anything else on furniture again. BTW, no need to preprime or presand.