Menu

What are some of your favorite baby gear must haves?

I'm preggo with #2, and since there is a 6 year age difference, I feel like a new mom all over again. We didn't keep much from ds #1 except the original co-sleeper, the crib, and the ergo carrier.

What are some of your must haves during the baby's first year or two?

I especially need ideas for diaper bags, stroller (lightweight), jogging stroller, baby sling or carrier for the 1st 6 months, and any other nifty inventions that just help make life easier with a baby.

Thanks!

I'm preggo with #2, and since there is a 6 year age difference, I feel like a new mom all over again. We didn't keep much from ds #1 except the original co-sleeper, the crib, and the ergo carrier.

What are some of your must haves during the baby's first year or two?

I especially need ideas for diaper bags, stroller (lightweight), jogging stroller, baby sling or carrier for the 1st 6 months, and any other nifty inventions that just help make life easier with a baby.

Thanks!

You are going to get WIDE variety of answers. From babies don't need ANYTHING but their mommies :tongue_smilie: to someone that recommends every gadget out there.

My must haves would be a bouncy seat, portable (small, sits low to the ground) swing and a crib. We got a bumbo with my last baby and eh, could take it or leave it. My kids also loved the johnny jump up.

I use a pack n play when we are out of the house and the baby/toddler needs a place to sleep. We also have an infant carrier (cheapie kind) and a backpack carrier. I have an umbrella stroller right now for my toddler but am about to have a baby and am getting a double stroller that will hold the new baby and toddler.

Mind you, I know most of these things are not a need. BUT they sure do make life easier!

:bigear:

I'm expecting #4 and my youngest turns 6 in a few days. We kept NOTHING! We've been given a barely used crib mattress already (I'm about 10wks), but that is it.

I know I want a swing that is portable, a good highchair (to last through toddlerhood), an Ergo, a crib, and a cute CD stash. I'm all ears on this thread.

I forgot a high chair. BUT I always had a highchair but recently got rid of the big bulky kind and got the kind that you strap to a kitchen chair. Love it! Will never have a big bulky one again. :001_smile:

See...now I have nightmares about the kind you strap to kitchen chairs b/c I had 3 babies right in a row (and was way outnumbered). I had 3 of those things strapped to kitchen chairs at one point and the unsightly stuff I found hidden and growing in the crevices between high chair & kitchen chair were enough to make me cry.:eek: (Though, I'm sure they are fine if you clean them up more than 1x per month...and watch to make sure that your toddler isn't shoving his vegetables down that little hole where the tray snaps on.)

I want a wooden one, like a restaurant high chair.

See...now I have nightmares about the kind you strap to kitchen chairs b/c I had 3 babies right in a row (and was way outnumbered). I had 3 of those things strapped to kitchen chairs at one point and the unsightly stuff I found hidden and growing in the crevices between high chair & kitchen chair were enough to make me cry.:eek: (Though, I'm sure they are fine if you clean them up more than 1x per month...and watch to make sure that your toddler isn't shoving his vegetables down that little hole where the tray snaps on.)

I want a wooden one, like a restaurant high chair.

Yeah, I'm a little......over the top with cleanliness and babies. :tongue_smilie: Mine gets moved and cleaned at least 3 times a week. Plus, the one I have they really can't shove food down any crevices.

I love a good carrier, like a Beco Butterfly or an Ergo. I also like woven wraps, but the learning curve is a little steeper on those.

A good carseat is nice--good in the sense that it has easy-to-adjust straps and buckles, is easy to install correctly, etc. Our infant carseat is really irritating to adjust, so I hope to get a different one when we have another baby.

My youngest also loved being swaddled for his entire first year. We put him in Woombie sleep sacks and there's no breaking out of those.

How could I have forgotten about these?!? We used them with ds#1. Loved them! Thanks for the reminder!

Sleep sacks were the things my dc used daily. I had lightweight cotton ones for summer, heavier/quilted ones for winter. We used them from infancy through toddlerhood.

ImagesHalo-SleepSack-Organic-Cotton-Jersey-color-dots-tea-cup.jpg

Yeah, I'm a little......over the top with cleanliness and babies. :tongue_smilie: Mine gets moved and cleaned at least 3 times a week. Plus, the one I have they really can't shove food down any crevices.

Same here! We had one with ds#1 and I loved the amount of space it saved. I'm definitely adding this to my list!

I love a good carrier, like a Beco Butterfly or an Ergo. I also like woven wraps, but the learning curve is a little steeper on those.

A good carseat is nice--good in the sense that it has easy-to-adjust straps and buckles, is easy to install correctly, etc. Our infant carseat is really irritating to adjust, so I hope to get a different one when we have another baby.

My youngest also loved being swaddled for his entire first year. We put him in Woombie sleep sacks and there's no breaking out of those.

I am intimidated by the wraps, but the babies look so snug and comfy. I may have to try it.

What carseat do you have now that you don't like?

I never heard of the Woombie sleep sacks. Going to check those out now!

Seeing the mentions of highchairs, we had a Stokke Tripp Trapp & LOVED it. Great for babies through childhood (& even for adults, if one's rear is narrow enough to fit comfortably in the seat -- mine wasn't... :tongue_smilie::lol:). It takes up less space than a high chair because the baby sits at the table (instead of having a tray).

US_TT_grow-sequence-full.ashx?mw=759

Edited by Stacia

You are good to go then. I am not proud of how bad it was back then, but I had 3 dc 3 and under. It's a wonder we all survived.:lol: After everyone was fed and diapered (wash rinse repeat 100x per day), I collapsed in a heap. Cleaning 3 chairs 3x per week might have severed the last thin thread that was my sanity.

My favorite baby item is a set of Aden and Anais swaddle blankets. Even if you don't actually swaddle with them, they're still awesome. They're light and airy, big enough to fold over if you want more warmth, and super soft. They get better every time you wash them. My LO is two, and we still use them. They're expensive, but other than a good wrap and my Ergo, they were by far my most used baby item.

http://www.amazon.com/aden-anais-Muslin-Wraps-4-Pack/dp/B001ACOOMW/ref=sr_1_5?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1338175512&sr=1-5

For a newborn, I need

a good, easy to use, front harness adjuster infant car seat (Chicco Keyfit is my fave, Graco SR 30 is good too),

a stack of newborn fitted cloth diapers and 4 covers,

a Mei Tai and pouch (I had a Babyhawk and Hot Sling),

a couple swaddling blankets (love the A&A ones),

a few lightweight cotton sleepers and/or gowns,

good quality breastpads (I used Lansinoh)

a boob

and my bed.

Things I like having,

some type of vibrating swing, bouncer, etc

a backpack or messenger style diaper bag

cotton pants/shirt sets

for cooler weather, soft sole shoes, like Robeez, etc

good quality, non-petroleum lotion and butt cream

I add to that list as they get older.

I am intimidated by the wraps, but the babies look so snug and comfy. I may have to try it.

What carseat do you have now that you don't like?

There's lots of videos on how to use (and make) a wrap on YouTube. With a little help and practice, it really isn't hard. I didn't try one until my ds was much older. I think they'd be great for a newborn.

Look for a car seat that has the harness adjuster up front (hangs down between the feet area). They are MUCH easier to use than a rear adjusting one. As I said above, I love the Chicco Keyfit (so easy to use). Graco is good too, if you get a front adjuting one. Evenflo has a new one coming out that looks very promising. I like Britax too. I do try to keep the cost down on the infant seat because I always buy higher end, more $$ convertible car seats later on. I want one that keeps baby/toddler/preschooler rear facing until 40-45 lbs, is easy to use, and installs well in my vehicle. I currently have Sunshine Kids (now called Diono) Radians. I've had Britax seats and love them too. The First Years True Fit is nice too. You can compare sizes here: http://sites.google.com/site/carseatmeasurements/

Make sure the seat installs securely (less than 1" of movement at the belt path), the harness is always snug on baby (you can't pinch the harness at the collar bone), chest clip at armpit level. No bulky clothing or blankets between baby and harness. Put any blankets on top of the hanress. If you like a cover for the car seat itself, only get one that covers the top (never one that also goes under baby). PM me anytime I can be of help.

hth. and Congratulations!

I loved baby nightgowns. when my olders were born they used a drawstring, now it's elastic. it's so easy to change diapers.

2dd LOVED the johnny jump-up, but I think that's a personality thing.

I've a friend who has a podaegi korean style front wrap for wearing her baby. I've worn her, and it is GREAT! it has a learning curve, but it is so much more flexible (wear front or back), easier, HANDS FREE, and more comfortable (and cheaper) than anything you find in the store. (she made hers, and she made a little one for her toddler to wear her doll. it's adorable.) oh, when her daughter was really tiny, she'd nurse her in it and no one could even tell. and her hands were free.

(I had both a snuggli and a baby bjorn and didn't like them at all.)

Edited by gardenmom5

My list included these:

-A sling

-a carrier for long term (woven wrap, ergo, beco..)

-an umbrella stroller with one-hand fold and a carry strap

-Sophie the Giraffe

-An amber teething necklace

-Muslin swaddling blankets -they're perfect for summertime or a nursing cover, too.

-The No Cry Sleep Solution

-The Vaccine Book

-A *good* carseat - and by good I mean it has to be able to be installed easily and correctly. I don't deal with constant back adjustment like the cheap Graco Snugride model or like to pinch my fingers in nasty LATCH clips. I went for a Chicco Keyfit because it's made for small newborns (lots aren't) and the LATCH clips were almost seat-belt style so that they could be uninstalled with the push of a button. I don't like wasting time dealing with things that could be avoided and for my own peace of mind it had to be idiot proof.

-a bucket bathtub. It uses less water but goes up higher on the baby to keep him cozy and warm.

The only MUST haves imo are a car seat, wrap (or goo carrier not a crotch dangler like a bjorn or snugli) and diapers and a few sleepers for the early months, after that a few outfits as well. All the contraptions while nice are not must haves, baby does not need a full closet of clothes to be worn once or twice in the early months, if you cosleep baby does not even need a crib/bassinet.

It is fun to read what everyone else thinks are must haves.

:iagree:When I had those strapped to my kitchen chairs I tried to remove them every other day at most to scrub it and the kitchen chair totally. As they grew there came a point when it had to be done daily(removed from kitchen chair and sprayed down) because the kids were at that veggie stuffing, food smearing uber messy stage.

An ERgo or other good carrier (not a Bjorn)

Stroller-in love with my Baby Jogger City Mini. After going through 5 strollers with my youngest-this is the one that stuck around the longest. Folds very compactly while it pushes like a full sized stroller

diaper bags- I was quite happy with my Skip Hop diaper bag from Target. That was another thing I went through several on and finally decided on that.

If you are going with a bucket carseat- I LOVED our Chicco Keyfit also. Easy to adjust, install, etc.

I am not one for all the baby gadgets. There isn't a ton you NEED, but I think the above things are almost necessities.

You are good to go then. I am not proud of how bad it was back then, but I had 3 dc 3 and under. It's a wonder we all survived.:lol: After everyone was fed and diapered (wash rinse repeat 100x per day), I collapsed in a heap. Cleaning 3 chairs 3x per week might have severed the last thin thread that was my sanity.

Uhmmnmm, yeah! That would NOT have been a top priority for me either! 2 of my kids were born 11 months apart. Just getting through the first year of that was important. Their chair being squeeky clean was not the top priority. ;) I have a big gap now between my 3 and 4th and let's just say I have a little more time to worry about the crumbs under his chair.

The infant carseat that we have (and don't like) is the Babytrend Flexloc. I did not like the buckle at all, and the harness straps were constantly twisting. I tried a friend's Britax Companion and didn't really like it, either---the head pillow was just too huge and made it difficult to make sure the harness was at the right height. Like other posters, I have my eye on the Chicco Keyfit for our next baby.

A stretchy wrap like the Moby or Boba Wrap (used to be Sleepy Wrap) is pretty easy to learn to use and very easy to "pop" a tiny baby in and out of without retying. However, it is not supportive enough for a larger baby (say, over 15 lbs) and you can't do back carries with it. And because the knit is a bit heavy, it can get hotter than a well-made woven wrap.

I think a good soft structured carrier like an Ergo or Beco Butterfly or Gemini is a good combination of easy to use, comfortable, versatile, and not-so-intimidating.

aden & anais swaddling cloth

Haven't read through the thread yet so don't know if these have been mentioned. *eta-I see Annie beat me to it!* Everyone I've given these to has LOVED them. I wish I had known of them back when I was having kids. They come in cute girly patterns, too. Make sure to get the 47" size - the smaller ones aren't as nice.

The infant carseat that we have (and don't like) is the Babytrend Flexloc. I did not like the buckle at all, and the harness straps were constantly twisting. I tried a friend's Britax Companion and didn't really like it, either---the head pillow was just too huge and made it difficult to make sure the harness was at the right height. Like other posters, I have my eye on the Chicco Keyfit for our next baby.

A stretchy wrap like the Moby or Boba Wrap (used to be Sleepy Wrap) is pretty easy to learn to use and very easy to "pop" a tiny baby in and out of without retying. However, it is not supportive enough for a larger baby (say, over 15 lbs) and you can't do back carries with it. And because the knit is a bit heavy, it can get hotter than a well-made woven wrap.

I think a good soft structured carrier like an Ergo or Beco Butterfly or Gemini is a good combination of easy to use, comfortable, versatile, and not-so-intimidating.

that is not accurate. I had no problem using my moby until dd4 was close to about 25lbs, and you can do back carry with it though I never bothered. I do agree that you can get a bit hot, in my climate it didn't matter though

Im on the lite side and avoid baby gear. All I used was an Ergo, bouncy seat, car seat, oh! A Mei Tai until baby has head control. That's about it. Forgot the Bobike bicycle seat! Loved that thing:) I want a new baby to snuggle, problem is they grow up and cost money after the baby stage lol

You all have helped me tremendously! Thank you!

Can anyone sum up the pros and cons of using a moby wrap vs. a mei tai for an infant? I already have the ergo which I will use when the baby is 4 months or so. I tried the maya sling with my first, and I could never get it to work comfortably.

Can anyone sum up the pros and cons of using a moby wrap vs. a mei tai for an infant? I already have the ergo which I will use when the baby is 4 months or so. I tried the maya sling with my first, and I could never get it to work comfortably.

For a tiny infant I would only use a Moby. The support for baby could not be better with one and ease of nursing discreetly hands free is great. I would not use a mei tai until baby could support his/herself pretty well so not until at least 6 months or so. But that's just me. I know many have no concerns with the support for a tiny baby, I just prefered the snugness of the moby I felt more secure using one kwim

that is not accurate. I had no problem using my moby until dd4 was close to about 25lbs, and you can do back carry with it though I never bothered. I do agree that you can get a bit hot, in my climate it didn't matter though

Everyone is different in what they like and can tolerate. I know Moby's instructions say up to 35 lbs, but I personally could not make that work comfortably. But some people can.

Most babywearers will say that a stretchy wrap is not appropriate for back carries. I think Moby took the back carry instructions out of their booklet because they don't want to encourage it. Here's a thread from TheBabyWearer about how easy it is for your baby to flip him/herself out, slip out, etc. of a stretchy wrap on your back: http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/showthread.php?476711-In-Case-You-Needed-Another-Reason-Not-to-Wear-Most-Stretchy-Wraps-on-Your-Back&highlight=stretchy+back+carry

My SIL has been using an Ergo (with baby's legs in) with her newborn. It seems to be working really well for them--baby looks comfy and safe with legs froggied up, mama is comfy. I had one of the old style newborn inserts with mine a few years ago and did not like it at all. They have a new newborn insert called Heart to Heart or something like that that may be better.

My favorite baby item is a set of Aden and Anais swaddle blankets. Even if you don't actually swaddle with them, they're still awesome. They're light and airy, big enough to fold over if you want more warmth, and super soft. They get better every time you wash them. My LO is two, and we still use them. They're expensive, but other than a good wrap and my Ergo, they were by far my most used baby item.

http://www.amazon.com/aden-anais-Muslin-Wraps-4-Pack/dp/B001ACOOMW/ref=sr_1_5?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1338175512&sr=1-5

Yes, that's just what I was going to suggest. They're light and breathable enough that you can swaddle through the summer, they're huge enough to swaddle an older baby (most receiving blankets are so tiny!), and the prints are really cute. Plus they make a great sunshade over a stroller or something.

For a newborn (assuming no head control and under 20lbs):

Moby:

Pros:Baby can easily be "popped" in and out of the carrier, or shifted for nursing, excellent support for baby, can be used in several different baby positions (reclining or upright, feet in or feet out) depending on what baby (and mom) like. You can wear it all day long and just take baby in and out. Or on an outing, put it on before you leave the house and just take baby out and put in the carrier at your destination without having to deal with tying anything. You can adjust the level of head support by moving the wrap, so as the baby learns to hold their head, you can pull the wrap away from their head & neck so they can look around

Cons: Can be hot in summer because of all the layers. You have to tie it on, this does have a learning curve (though it is not very hard and there are videos on youtube). The fabric is looooong, some people find this overwhelming.

MeiTai:

Pros: Less fabric, not nearly so long and overwhelming. Can be used for a long time, front and back carries. Some can be used for hip carries too. Dads seem to be more comfortable using them. They come in a lot of pretty patterns.

Cons: Less adjustable for a newborn, baby has to be pretty big before they can have their legs out, it's harder to get baby in and out a lot. It doesn't snug all around baby the way a stretchy fabric does, so it feels less supportive of a brand new baby, and you can't pull the fabric from baby's head so babies can't look around until they are tall enough. Once baby is out, you have long tails dragging around unless you take it all the way off.

For me, nothing beats a good stretchy wrap for a newborn (or two newborns, for that matter. I made two of them when the twins were on the way - it cost less than $30 for fabric from Joann's and took less than 30 minutes - no sewing, just cut in half lengthwise. I also love my meitai, but I tend to use it for older babies who are getting to heavy for the stretchy wraps. Around 18-20lbs I find the stretchy wraps get less comfortable. I would not be comfortable using one on my back, it is too easy for an older baby to get out.

A wrap mimics the womb more, creating a cozy tight spot. You also don't need an infant insert for it. The baby can face more directions - out, in, to the side, and it's easier to nurse (at least for those of us with magazines instead of bOOks. Oh, and they're cheaper - I can make a wrap for $6 using clearanced t-shirt material from Walmart and cutting it in half lengthwise. On the downside, you have to deal with yards of fabric and there's a steeper learning curve.

My son didn't like a wrap until we used a woven one, though. He preferred the fitted sling and then the Ergo. Now we use the wrap for long distances because the weight is distributed better and across wider areas of my shoulders and waist.