Menu

I need input re: Bible curriculum (again :) )

Ok, so I'm looking into what we might do for Bible next year, and here are the different curricula/studies I've seen mentioned and recommended:

Bible Study Guide for All Ages

Greenleaf Guide to OT History

Memoria Press Christian Studies

Long Story Short: 10 minute devotions

Victor Journey through the Bible

I Can Study Alone with God

God's Great Covenant

Foundations Bible Curriculum

Apologia Bible curriculum

Veritas Press Bible

First off, I know that is a really long list! But I'm starting from scratch here, and these are the ones that jumped out at me the most.

If you have any experience with any of these, please share it!

Also, my boys are 8 and 6. Please let me know if any of these would NOT fit well within that age range.

Thanks!

I really like Bible Study Guide For All Ages but I wouldn't buy all the activity pages. The years we did it, I had just the teacher's manual and a marker board. I would draw the stories following the examples in the book and the kids would copy if they wanted (at their level) or not if they didn't feel like drawing that day. The review questions really cemented facts. In fact, we're using HOD now which has everyone doing their own thing for Bible but I'm contemplating how to add BSGFAA back into our daily routine. I was using it the most when my oldest were 8 or 9 and youngest (then) was 5 or 6. I really want to get back to this with my younger group.

Foundations is very similar but the stick-figure drawing isn't included. It's more read and answer questions with drill.

Do you want something more devotional or factual?

Victor is great, but it is more like a Bible encyclopedia.

Our children's pastor recommended Long Story Short, but we didn't get past the first few lessons. All of us (my husband included) thought the questions were annoying repetitive and obvious.

I have not used the others you listed. Have you considered Telling God's Story?

I used Victor Journey through the Bible and the Greenleaf Guide to OT History with my older son in grade 9. They are great programs but personally I would wait a bit, maybe grade 5 or 6 or above? Unless your boys are very advanced of course. I know my DD7 wouldn't get as much out of it. We are using Telling God's Story and Grapevine Bible Study this year.

Yes that is a very good description, it is very factual, especially lots of times/places. I'm sure we will use it as a reference to OT History over the next few years. When I used it with my son we used in conjunction with Diana Waring's Ancient Civilization and the Bible History program.

I like BSGFAA. My son used this numerous years ago and still remembers so much! I really like the individual worksheets. We also used the maps and timeline. I learned a lot as well. Although my ds is now doing an old testament survey next year, I may use this for my 8yo dd next year.

I just bought Memoria Press Christian Studies I for my soon to be 8 and 10 yr olds. I think it is a little much for a 6 yr old. It has very long memorization passages and lots of questions for each chapter, though I do like the Children's Bible they use. It would be fine to read to little ones if he was just following along with the older child and not trying to do the written work.

Our children's pastor recommended Long Story Short, but we didn't get past the first few lessons. All of us (my husband included) thought the questions were annoying repetitive and obvious.

I have not used the others you listed. Have you considered Telling God's Story?

I'm not 100% sure yet what exactly I'm looking for. I'm most concerned with age-appropriateness regarding the work.

I'm not interested in TGS.

I'm not 100% sure yet what exactly I'm looking for. I'm most concerned with age-appropriateness regarding the work.

I'm not interested in TGS.

If you're theologically Reformed, we've loved Covenantal Catechism. My friend Mystie wrote a great review here. You can do with either the teacher guide or the student guide. We do it all orally, no written work, and we don't memorize their questions (we do the Catechism for Young Children) but find them great review.

Ok, bear with me. This is what I've come up with, with my internet searches and various threads on here:

BSGFAA -

stick figure drawings, 4 units, activity pages separate, maps and timeline, worksheets include adding stuff to what they already have printed. Too repetitive? Light on application?

Greenleaf -

read through historical books chronologically, 196 readings, questions and suggestions to keep it interesting, intended as first history course for early elementary. Reading and questions only. Possibly too old for my kids- 5th/6th grade?

Memoria Press -

Academic and Classical minded, could be a little dry - memorization, review, recitation. 3 years - use with Golden Children’s Bible. Memorization, basic literacy, Bible fundamentals. Straight forward and literal. Map work. Teaches books of the Bible, how to classify the books into categories, etc. Some comprehension questions challenging - Maybe too much for DS6? A little too dry before older grades - ages 10+?

Long Story Short -

Devotional. Systematic and organized, weekly Bible story focus. Old Testament, chronological. Object lesson, Bible reading, questions/discussion. Ties OT to Jesus and present day application. 5th day of each week - Psalms or something from one of the prophets. Repetetive/obvious questions?

Victor -

understand Bible stories in context. Seems more like a reference than a study?

Study Alone -

Simple workbooks to go along with specific books. Jonah/Ruth, Esther, 1 Samuel, Acts. Independent study. Very simple, comb-bound.

God’s Great Covenant -

OT 1 - 32 chapters - recommended for 2nd grade+. OT 2 - 32 chapters - recommended for 3rd grade+. Classical, creative, relevant, easy to use. Each lesson - theme and key event. Teacher’s Manual. Worksheets/questions and chapter quizzes. Works to show how Bible stories tie together into one story. Weekly memory verses, learning facts of Bible stories stressed,

Foundations -

study chronologically, beginning with OT. Helps kids learn how to study for themselves, handle their Bibles, understand, and apply. Memorize weekly. Read/Answer questions. 3 books - 3 years. May be a little too in depth for DS6 yet? Lots of Bible drills, various activities for each day.

Apologia -

Who Is God? (10 lessons - approx 2 weeks per lesson/3 days wk)- introduces the concept of worldview while laying foundational truths. Includes main topics/learning objectives, short story, questions/discussion, vocabulary, Bible verses, articles related to main text in other fields, specific character traits that should be demonstrated in light of their new knowledge of God, prayer, worldview study. Includes topics: How can I know what’s true? What is God like? If God created the world, why isn’t it perfect? Is Jesus the only way to God? etc. Looks at the world through the truth of God’s world.

Veritas -

Bible cards w/ CD. Not sure.

Sword Fighting -

Scripture Memory curriculum.

If you have any more to add, please let me know! :) Based on this, I'm going to keep an eye out when I head to convention to see if there is anything I can actually get my hands on to look at. :) But just off of this, what looks the most likely for this year would be something like Long Story Short, God's Great Covenant, or Apologia. I think. :svengo: :lol:

We used Positive action for Christ last year for my first grader. It just didn't go over very well for us b/c it was just Bible stories like we do in Sunday School. This year we will be doing Bible Study Guide for All Ages so I hope this one works for us.

We have the Apologia one. I really like how it is laid out and how it keeps my 8 year old's attention. I like that it is apologetics based and that it includes different information delivery methods (i.e. stories, observations, facts). My 6 year old (who is easily distracted) tends to pay attention to the stories but I loose her for the main texts. That is fine because this is something that I feel we can do over and over and still find it fresh. My 14 year old even enjoyed sitting in on the readings.

I bought the colouring book as well and I photocopy a picture for each of the kids so that they can colour while listening. I also bought the workbook but it really is a lot of writing and I just think it would kill it for my kids if I made them do the workbook. My main objective in using this curriculum is to burry the truth in my children's hearts and not to make them do extra work that they resist and so inwardly push away from the content.

The books are good quality and are hardcover with bright pictures and illustrations on each page.

We also have Leading Little Ones to God and I didn't really like it (I am quite picky I'm told by my husband). I intended it for my 6 year old but found it to be too, well, almost cheesy and pat answerish (if that makes sense). I wanted something that goes a little deeper than "it is good to go to sunday school... it is good to be kind to others etc..." I think that we maybe read 5-6 lessons so I will add a disclaimer that it may, perhaps, get better later on.

I really shy away from things that present the path to being a "good" person by following all the rules *shudder*. I guess it is just my thing. I call it the un-gospel (i.e. back to the law to solve the probelm of sin).:confused:

We also have Leading Little Ones to God and I didn't really like it (I am quite picky I'm told by my husband). I intended it for my 6 year old but found it to be too, well, almost cheesy and pat answerish (if that makes sense). I wanted something that goes a little deeper than "it is good to go to sunday school... it is good to be kind to others etc..." I think that we maybe read 5-6 lessons so I will add a disclaimer that it may, perhaps, get better later on.

I really shy away from things that present the path to being a "good" person by following all the rules *shudder*. I guess it is just my thing. I call it the un-gospel (i.e. back to the law to solve the probelm of sin).:confused:

Oh no - is Leading Little Ones to God like that? I'll have to look through it more thoroughly before we dig in.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking more for a deeper kind of study since my dd8 has read Egermeier's several times and knows the Bible stories thoroughly. On my short list were God's Great Covenant and Apologia. I was also very interested in Memoria Press' Christian Studies but then narrowed it down to the two. For now, I am going with Apologia but with only minimal notebooking. This will be for actually studying Christian principles and beliefs. My dd8 will also be continuing with xtb Bible studies. http://www.thegoodbook.com/children/devotionals/xtb I love it that it is daily, short, colorful and fun and best of all.. uses their own Bible for looking up the passages and things. It's great for helping establish daily Bible reading habits and encouraging familiarity with Bible books etc.

Veritas Press is lovely but a lot of writing. The cards are fabulous. Can't remember if it had memory verses. We generally had a SL core going and did their bible memory work with the CD.

Memoria Press-- really enjoyed it mainly because of the Golden Children's bible. Lots of writing but my son did it verbally. The questions were good. Maps clear. Quiz type material included. Did not do memory because of SL.

We have also used Victors and Greenleaf. It is kind of a blur as to why they didn't work. Partly because we were in the middle of our move to the UK and also too young probably(dd was 9 and ds7). All I know is I left the Greenleaf part behind and brought the Victors with me! Victors is wonderful and we have read much of the book but not as curriculum.

Training hearts teaching minds is lovely. We did it when they were a bit older (12 and 10) but friends have done it younger easily. It is centered on the Westminster Catechism and why we believe in it. So it is not really like the other curriculums being talked about.

I hope this helps some. Bible curriculum is the hardest one to choose IMO!

Ok, so I'm looking into what we might do for Bible next year, and here are the different curricula/studies I've seen mentioned and recommended:

Bible Study Guide for All Ages

Greenleaf Guide to OT History

Memoria Press Christian Studies

Long Story Short: 10 minute devotions

Victor Journey through the Bible

I Can Study Alone with God

God's Great Covenant

Foundations Bible Curriculum

Apologia Bible curriculum

Veritas Press Bible

First off, I know that is a really long list! But I'm starting from scratch here, and these are the ones that jumped out at me the most.

If you have any experience with any of these, please share it!

Also, my boys are 8 and 6. Please let me know if any of these would NOT fit well within that age range.

Thanks!

kids can participate in. Everyone would be learning the same thing with daily assignments as well as Parent Take Home pages that could also be used for the little one.

Giving the fact that you have little kids I would stick with reading the Bible outloud, maybe doing some memory work - like the awanas program or something similar that fits with your doctrinal stance, some simple coloring pages while you read, Arch books, Bible stories on CD, etc.

At the ages of your kids, my goal would be to give them an understanding that God created and it was good, a general overview of the some of the important people of the Bible and God's plan for salvation. This can be done really simply, without a big curriclum. Just read the Bible every day- 4 chapters or so. We started with the gospels, and we've also done the Pentatuch.

The Golden Children's Bible is lovely, but I've also just read to my kids out of a big ol' NKJV, etc.

Giving the fact that you have little kids I would stick with reading the Bible outloud, maybe doing some memory work - like the awanas program or something similar that fits with your doctrinal stance, some simple coloring pages while you read, Arch books, Bible stories on CD, etc.

At the ages of your kids, my goal would be to give them an understanding that God created and it was good, a general overview of the some of the important people of the Bible and God's plan for salvation. This can be done really simply, without a big curriclum. Just read the Bible every day- 4 chapters or so. We started with the gospels, and we've also done the Pentatuch.

The Golden Children's Bible is lovely, but I've also just read to my kids out of a big ol' NKJV, etc.

I appreciate this post because I'm considering doing this (after looking at VP, MP and God's Great Covenant). I may use this list of stories and scriptures just for convenience: http://pennygardner.com/oldtest.html. There's also a page for New Testament as well.

It's not on your list, but my boys really enjoyed BJU Bible Truths. The TE includes Bible and application stories, memory verses, and Bible study skills. The worktext reinforces the lessons and is visually appealing. I really liked the age appropriate application emphasis. It would work well to combine your boys in one level. BJU has full chapter samples on their website.

I separated Bible work from devotional time, even tho there was overlap.

For devotions, done first thing in the am before "school" started, we used Leading Little Ones...and Little Visits with God.

For Bible, we used Positive Action for Christ in 4th grade, and Christian Liberty in 2nd. In K, I used a wonderful curriculum called Names of God by a friend of mine, but it's not for sale--too bad, bc it's really great.

A friend likes John Piper's stuff. Says it's less character-based and more Let's Meet Jesus kinda stuff.

We used VP Bible curriculum. There are a number of things I like about it including the fact that my kids will have a nice overview of the bible when done. It is a lot of writing for my writing-00phobic son, so sometimes we do questions verbally. We wrote a complete review of it on our blog....what we liked, what we didn't, the limitations of the curriculum. Check it out if you're interested. http://intoxicatedonlife.com/2012/05/26/judges-kings-homeschool-kit-from-veritas-press-review/

I did a quick review of our year with BSGFAA on my blog

We also have Long Story Short but will be using that for family worship this year, not for Bible study.

I really like the VP Bible timeline cards, but the program itself is too worbookish for me, especially for Bible. bSGFAA is the highlight of my dc's day. :)

I love God's Great Covenant. We've used it for the last 2 years, starting in 2nd grade. I have ds9 and ds6 in school right now. I did some of the writing for ds9 when he was in 2nd grade, but for 3rd, he did it on his own and his brother just listened in to the story part. He didn't do any worksheets or quizzes. It is probably going to be too much writing for your 6 yo, too.

We are probably going to take a break from it this year because I want something that my ds6 can do with us, and NT is meant for 4th graders and older.

I had narrowed it down to Long Story Short, God's Great Covenant, or Apologia for this year as my top 3 - figuring I'll do something a little more next year.

We decided on Long Story Short. I don't want to wear my kids out with workbook pages and maps (my kids hate maps) and all that stuff. I would just rather them be hearing, learning, and understanding the Bible at this point.

God's Great Covenant looked ok, but I'm just not sure if it's the format I want to go with. Like I said, worksheets, quizzes, maps, etc.

Apologia looked ok too, but again, just not what I'm looking for this year.

We'll be stretching LSS over 2 years. Then we'll decide if we want to go on to the NT one (which I think is in the process of being done? Not sure) or move on to something a little more for Bible. I really like the look of Foundations or Memoria Press for when my kids get a little older.

Thanks for all the input!

We use Memoria Press Christian Studies and I think it would be too much for your 6 year old. I love it because it is good quality and my dd8 is learning and remembering a lot. We don't use the Golden Children's Bible with it, we read from the KJV Bible, then answer the questions, study the facts to know and do map work. She just finished up a unit test (they are in the back of the teacher's book), and I was amazed at how much she knew, especially with the maps.

Up until we started this curriculum, for K - half of 2nd grade, she read the Golden Children's Bible on her own. She completed the whole bible a few months ago and that is when we started the Christian Studies. Reading from the Golden Children's Bible and doing crafts and learning at church, was enough for her in those earlier years. Now, she is delving in deeper with the Christian Studies and things are sticking!

The Christian Studies are 3rd-6th grade level, but can be done orally.