Menu

I am mango-challenged.

The seed is long and thin and flat. I make one cut as close to the seed as possible, on each "fat" side (I guess you could call this the front and back), this is about 80 percent of the meat.

On the sides I, once again cut as close to the seed as possible, but this is more like shaving the seed and the pieces are mangled slivers.

You can peel the fruit first, for long slices, or keep the peel and then cube the fruit (in the peel) , then scoop out with a spoon for nice even bite-size pieces.

So basically, hack off the front and back, then slice.

The seed is long and thin and flat. I make one cut as close to the seed as possible, on each "fat" side (I guess you could call this the front and back), this is about 80 percent of the meat.

On the sides I, once again cut as close to the seed as possible, but this is more like shaving the seed and the pieces are mangled slivers.

You can peel the fruit first, for long slices, or keep the peel and then cube the fruit (in the peel) , then scoop out with a spoon for nice even bite-size pieces.

So basically, hack off the front and back, then slice.

:iagree:But really, the most important thing is to not let it get overripe. An overripe mango is so squishy that even the best mango slicers with the sharpest knives can have a hard time getting clean slices. :D

:iagree:But really, the most important thing is to not let it get overripe. An overripe mango is so squishy that even the best mango slicers with the sharpest knives can have a hard time getting clean slices. :D

So, then you squish it up, make a hole, and slurp!

Don't the sliced ones in the jars have added sugar?

Is Bill really not going to reveal his technique? Someone lie and say they have a really sharp knife.

It's not like it is "top secret" or anything, it just won't work with a dull (or overly thick knife). And the option in Snickerdoodle's linked video is easier. But this gives one bigger pieces, while taking better knife work.

After all that (:D), you cut into the mango all the way around following the edge of the fruit-stone. Then you slip the knife inside the cut and work it against the stone (as one would trim away meat from a bone). It takes a little finesse, but if you are careful you can get the whole mango half (with skin) free of the stone. Then one does the same to the other half.

After the stone is removed the two mango halves are placed on a cutting board (skin up) and de-skinned.

This method gives one the largest possible pieces, and is not difficult once you get the hang of it. But it does take a sharp.and relatively thin knife. I use a Japanese sashimi knife.

Bill