Menu

Math manipulatives--which ones do you use?

Aspasia

Just curious what everyone's preferences are and how many people use lots of different ones. We have Cuisenaire Rods and Unifix Cubes, along with lots of random little counters (mainly in the form of Target $1 section erasers). Now I'm also interested in the AL Abacus. It seems to me like different manipulatives have different advantages over others, but do you think it's too confusing to use different ones?

The only manipulatives that I've used consistently over the past 5 years of teaching my kids are the base 10 blocks. They've been great for all of the operations... including dealing with long division and decimals.

Cuisenaire rods were useful at first, but I don't really use them much any more. Same with fraction bars and clocks and such... Useful for a time, but after a while unnecessary.

So far I have used around-the-house stuff (beads, coins, poker chips, rulers) and lots of food (chocolate chips, dried beans/pasta, apples, pizza, a stick of butter).

I am looking for something else at this stage, to better represent 3-D math concepts. DD really wants to use Lego bricks for this, and I am probably going to get a bunch. She will probably get more use out of them than any of the manipulative sets I've been looking at. And I love to play with them!:D

I was lucky and got a large amount of my math manipulatives from a friend of mine. I don't think I necessarily need all of these but I LOVE having them at my disposal.

C-rods (plastic NON connecting kind)

Base 10Flats

100 chart (I cut one out of a cheap workbook I picked up from the dollar store and laminated it.)

Balance scale

Counters (random assortment)

Fraction towers (also decimal and percentage towers)

Geoboards

Pattern Blocks

Geometric Solids

Toy Money

I recently went through my homeschooling resources and organized a majority of my things. It's nice to actually know what I have versus looking aimlessly in my house thinking to myself, "I think I have that.."

Edited by KristenR

C-rods, and I've pulled out base-10 blocks once (before we had C-rods).

My oldest doesn't use manipulatives and never did. My middle one thrives on the C-rods. I have the entire RS A manipulative kit, but I never use any of them. The C-rods work better than an abacus for DS2.

I'm guessing DS3 probably won't need much in the way of manipulatives either, but we'll use C-rods for K math at least.

I have unifix cubes (use them as counters) and base ten blocks. DS mostly refuses to use anything...even the number lines in the MM workbook where he is supposed to use it. He'd rather do it all in his head - I have to force him to use the other "tools", because eventually we'll move past addition to ten and knowledge of those other tools may come in handy. :)

The only time the unifix cube counters have come in handy is to help him visualize word problems.

I also have a clock for when we get to that, and will possibly get toy money, if necessary. He's picking up on money just from living life, though, so it may not be necessary by the time we get there.

We use C-rods a lot, base-10 flats more now, and linking cubes on occasion. I have also pulled out fraction circles. I don't know if this counts, but I have and use laminated number cards, sign cards, shape cards, and number lines, plus laminated graph paper, dot matrices, and several hand-drawn game boards from Peggy Kaye's Games for Math.

Just curious what everyone's preferences are and how many people use lots of different ones. We have Cuisenaire Rods and Unifix Cubes, along with lots of random little counters (mainly in the form of Target $1 section erasers). Now I'm also interested in the AL Abacus. It seems to me like different manipulatives have different advantages over others, but do you think it's too confusing to use different ones?

My son has preferences but isn't confused by others. He likes to use the centimeter side of his ruler as a number line. What we use on any given day depends on the focus of the day's lesson. Today we used the 1 and 10 C-rods, 10 cm paper strips, a ruler, and a meter stick. Tomorrow's focus is liquid measure.

Most often - number line

Frequently - pennies and dimes, AL Abacus, cardstock rings (for creating sets), shape cards

Occasionally – other coins, ruler (as a measuring device), tape measure, meter stick, scales (kitchen, spring, balance), assorted measuring cups and containers, thermometer, laminated paper clock, C-rods, Funtastic Frogs, colored craft sticks, geometric solids, dice, paper/cardstock cutouts made for specific lessons

The only manipulatives that I've used consistently over the past 5 years of teaching my kids are the base 10 blocks. They've been great for all of the operations... including dealing with long division and decimals.

Cuisenaire rods were useful at first, but I don't really use them much any more. Same with fraction bars and clocks and such... Useful for a time, but after a while unnecessary.

:iagree:

When Great Girl was small, I found a deeply discounted set of wooden geometrical solids, including all the conic sections. I kept it lovingly on the shelf for nearly ten years, until the day she reached that point in geometry where she was confused by the intersection of a plane and a cone. I took out the set. She looked at the shapes for a few seconds, said "Oh, I get it," and never wanted or needed to see them again.

ETA: Much more useful than the Cuisenaire rods (for us) has been a lap-size whiteboard from Rainbow Resource with a graph on one side, which we keep handy for graphing even problems that aren't "supposed to" be graphed. Almost as soon as fractions are introduced, we show how to graph them as slopes.

Edited by Sharon in Austin