Menu

Not Bipolar but like bipolar lite

Weird question and I am headed out of town so I will not see the replies until much later but has anyone noticed their energy levels fluctuate during their cycle.

It's not bipolar, nothing that extreme but I have noticed during my cycle my energy levels flutuate in a predictably pattern and I know some of it comes through on here.

like many women I get pms which leaves me *itchy and miserable. Followed by little energy. I do what needs to be done but in a dragging way, would rather stay in bed. Not depression just tired/no energy. Levels pick up gradually until right around ovulation when I am full of energy, and post silly things online but nothing like the euphorias that bipolar go through, energy levels gradually drop again until pms time. Wash, rinse, repeat.

It is not bipolar, but it is like bipolar lite. I am 100% cognizant af the changes as they occur, and they are obvious but not extreme kwim.

So is there like a bipolar lite? Does anyone else experience this?

My hormones are already being tested because they suspect PCOS and adrenal fatigue. So not sure if that is playing a part.

Anyway, about to hit the road, just seeing if anyone else goes through this. It doesn't impact my life other than people may not know what to expect if last week they met me and I was all nice and friendly, and the next week I look ready to kill lol

I don't think describing it as bipolar lite is right. Bipolar has no predictable pattern. I wish it did because I could be ready for it. :tongue_smilie: My bipolar isn't tied to my cycles/hormones at all. It's just something entirely different. I don't experience a lack of energy unless I'm in a depressed state and I don't experience euphorias during my manic phases. Instead, I'm extremely restless and have extremely high anxiety. And sometimes I'm not even aware that I'm having major mood swings until DH tells me. To me, I'm acting normal all of the time.

But I know you weren't really focusing on the bipolar part. What I'm hearing is possible PMS symptoms. I hope your doctor can find and fix what is causing the symptoms. Your experiences don't sound pleasant at all. :grouphug:

My favorite bumper sticker:

I have PMS and I carry a gun. ;)

My son's DAN! is a ND and told me that gluten intolerance can mimic bipolar and/or schyzophrenia. Yeast overgrowth can do a number too. I felt so much better after doing a good yeast cleanse - not a huge deal, just a kit from the health food store. I know I go for choclate chip cookie dough during certain times of the month - and a yeast cleanse really dampened that down.

Yes, very much so. I'm also more focused at some times of the month than others. I think it is pretty normal, hormones affect everything about us, even how we think about things.

It is a bit weird to think so much of the way we are is about chemicals wizzing around though.

I don't think describing it as bipolar lite is right. Bipolar has no predictable pattern. I wish it did because I could be ready for it. :tongue_smilie: My bipolar isn't tied to my cycles/hormones at all. It's just something entirely different. I don't experience a lack of energy unless I'm in a depressed state and I don't experience euphorias during my manic phases. Instead, I'm extremely restless and have extremely high anxiety. And sometimes I'm not even aware that I'm having major mood swings until DH tells me. To me, I'm acting normal all of the time.

But I know you weren't really focusing on the bipolar part. What I'm hearing is possible PMS symptoms. I hope your doctor can find and fix what is causing the symptoms. Your experiences don't sound pleasant at all. :grouphug:

Not to hijack, but...

I know someone diagnosed recently with Bipolar 2. I never, ever imagined she had bipolar. She just seemed extraordinarily moody and had a tendency to be unpleasant with her family members. She has been depressed at times but that reaction seemed explainable by particular situations. She also complained about problems sleeping. Could this really be bipolar? I was skeptical of the diagnosis because I never personally witnessed or heard about anything clearly manic--not that I've ever seen a manic episode or heard about one IRL--but reading your post made me think about it again. FWIW, I don't think she would have ever been diagnosed except a family member intervened when there was a shoplifting incident and felt the circumstances were strange enough to want to get a psychiatric evaluation.

Sorry to go off on a tangent but your post caught my attention as I've been wondering about this.

My son's DAN! is a ND and told me that gluten intolerance can mimic bipolar and/or schyzophrenia.

I have experience with this. I was diagnosed with chronic depression and BPD symptoms about 10 years ago. I have been treated for both for years with little to no success. About two years ago I became ill with a variety of physical symptoms which lead to a drastic alteration in my diet.

I discovered I have allergies/intolerances for: aspartame, phenylanine, gluten and dairy.

After beginning a gluten free, diary free diet I feel so much better. The majority of my physical and psychological symptoms have abated. I no longer have the mood swings or unpredictable behavior. My anxiety has decreased dramatically and I enjoy life more. The difference is amazing and the timing was perfect. We discovered the GF intolerance right before my DD found out she was pregnant. I can't imagine how I would have handled that situation in the frame of mind I was in.

The best testimony I have to how different I am now comes from my MIL and FIL who have both acknowledged the rapid changes in me and have willingly come out to visit and expressed joy and happiness during the time they spent with me. Much different than the way things were before. My sister is even coming for a visit and our relationship is better than it has been in years.

I have to be careful about what I eat on a daily basis. Consuming even the smallest amount of gluten causes psychological problems. I begin to experience symptoms within 45-60 minutes of eating gluten.

I have to laugh because everyone close to me reads labels and makes sure my meals and snacks are GF. Nobody wants to see the 'monster' return.

A secondary benefit is that my therapist has changed my diagnosis, thank goodness. I still have work to do, fences to mend and amends to make but at least I feel I can do it now.

I know this isn't directly related to the OP but I wanted to share.

Yes, there is Bipolar 2, also known as manic-depressive. The manic swings are less obvious, and sometimes look just like a "good" period of energy and the ability/focus/drive to get a lot done. (Sometimes a focus on one thing to an obsessive point.) That period is also (usually, but not always) marked by not being able to sleep/not needing a lot of sleep. The depression part is more obvious, and is usually marked by a need for a lot more sleep.

But a psychologist/psychiatrist is likely to only to diagnose you if these swings last for at least a week at a time. One of the "soft symptoms" of Bipolar 2 is that normal antidepressants don't work for you.

This is a fairly "new" condition. When I was reading about it a few years ago there were some doctors who didn't think it was "real." So if you research this and really think it fits, make sure you talk to someone who knows about this/considers it possible.

You can pm me when you get back if you would like.

I have Bipolar 2. (It is actually not called manic-depressive. That is a term that was used in the past for Bipolar disorder.)

My hypomanic episodes (technical term :-) ) are more irritable than a typical description of mania. Much like NJKelli described her friend. It usually starts with a really high energy period. I get tons of stuff done. I make big plans. The world seems GREAT. But then, people start to irritate me. They don't work fast enough. They make too many mistakes. They DARE to tell me I'm WRONG!!! That's when people really notice it's a problem. If only I could have the first half without the second . . . .

My depressions are my real problem. They are really bad, which is usually true for Bipolar 2 patients. When I sought treatment for depression while pregnant with my second child, my new therapist suggested Bipolar 2. The psychiatrist agreed. (I did was well, based on literature I read on the subject.)

I've been on mood stabilizers for 4 1/2 years. I have had 3 minor depressions and 1 noticeable hypomanic episode. All responded to lifestyle changes. (No need to adjust my meds.) Before meds, I would have 4-6 depressions and 3-4 manias every year.

OP- what you describe doesn't sound like Bipolar 2. But there are some in the psychological community who talk about a bipolar spectrum. And as with most psychological "problems", most of us can see some behaviors/feelings that we engage in without actually having a disorder.

There is a good book on bipolar spectrum called "Why am I Still Depressed". It has a whole discussion on Bipolar 2, a proposed Bipolar 3, and soft signs of Bipolar. It also has a number of non-medical suggestions for managing symptoms. Even if you don't have a disorder, the information could be helpful.

swellmomma, I don't think what you are describing sounds like BP. Mine has absolutely no rhyme or reason. Like Night Elf, I wish it did so I could be prepared. That's not to say that I don't have some triggers. I do, and I certainly know some things/places/people to avoid. Your situation sounds like hormones. :grouphug:

Not to hijack, but...

I know someone diagnosed recently with Bipolar 2. I never, ever imagined she had bipolar. She just seemed extraordinarily moody and had a tendency to be unpleasant with her family members. She has been depressed at times but that reaction seemed explainable by particular situations. She also complained about problems sleeping. Could this really be bipolar? I was skeptical of the diagnosis because I never personally witnessed or heard about anything clearly manic--not that I've ever seen a manic episode or heard about one IRL--but reading your post made me think about it again. FWIW, I don't think she would have ever been diagnosed except a family member intervened when there was a shoplifting incident and felt the circumstances were strange enough to want to get a psychiatric evaluation.

Sorry to go off on a tangent but your post caught my attention as I've been wondering about this.

Yes, she could really have bipolar disorder. A lot of people cannot believe I have it, but there is no doubt in my mind that I do. I even lost one of my friends because she just didn't and still doesn't believe I have BP (she acted like it was a direct insult to her when I was diagnosed, weird!). My psychiatrist told me that people with bipolar type 2 are masters at disguising their behavior and "putting on a front." I don't mean lying or manipulating exactly (though it can definitely be manipulation). What I mean is pretending everything is fine when nothing is anywhere close to fine.

Edited by Nakia

It sounds like PMDD. I never thought of myself as having the stereotypical PMS symptoms, so I was shocked when my doc said my symptoms (drastic changes in mood/appetite/sleep patterns/physical endurance) were a perfect fit for PMDD.

:iagree: My thought as well. PMDD

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

It sounds like PMDD. I never thought of myself as having the stereotypical PMS symptoms, so I was shocked when my doc said my symptoms (drastic changes in mood/appetite/sleep patterns/physical endurance) were a perfect fit for PMDD.

I didn't get the impression the OP was really talking about drastic changes though? I wouldn't say the differences I notice are drastic, they don't really affect my life much, but I have noticed them just like I notice hormonal changes connected with pregnancy or breastfeeding.

My psychiatrist told me that people with bipolar type 2 are masters at disguising their behavior and "putting on a front." I don't mean lying or manipulating exactly (though it can definitely be manipulation). What I mean is pretending everything is fine when nothing is anywhere close to fine.

Wow! This really fits it to a T! The in-the-family stories are that everything is seen extremely negatively so there's often some kind of crisis, which rarely turns out to be as bad as it seems at first. When I see her, everything is "fine." It's only recently that I've seen really mean and selfish comments made to family members in my presence.

Over the years, I have sometimes thought of this as strangely "two-faced"--not in an evil way--just like she was a radically different person inside and outside the family, much more than we all can be normally. I always chalked it up to low self-esteem, as though she didn't think people would accept her real self and she felt like she had to put on an act, and not in a social, extroverted way since she's actually rather shy in public.

Thanks for your help. Pieces are starting to fall into place.

Thanks everyone, checking in quickly from my mom's house. I knew it wasn't bipolar itself, I have been assessed for that but didn't know another way to describe it. I will look into the PMDD as mentioned.

Do you think that because my hormones are out of whack due to PCOS that is leading to this?

I have always been moody in general, but this pattern has really only be noticable in the last 5 or so years. Basically since I m/c last time.

Nothing extreme though being the master of disguise describes me fairly well in my day to day life. I know it is not bipolar, just not sure what is going on with my hormone kwim, and needed a way to describe it.

Hormonal energy shifts are common and described in all traditions of health that I know of (particularly Ayurveda, traditional Chinese medicine and western herbalism). If you just notice them as part of the rhythm of your body, you're probably just attuned to such things.

If you google something "menstrual cycle energy changes" you'll find a lot of articles and discussions on athletic training sites. It's not in your head. ;)

If its not affecting your life, I think most people do best to respect the ebb and flow, and plan activities accordingly. (Which I don't really practice so much, as I am sitting here on Day 2 - super low energy day - trying to will myself to go to cardio-kickboxing, even though I know I'll have a dud of a workout. :D)

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Not to hijack, but...

The defining characteristic of BP I vs. BP II is that BP I has clearly, definied and obvious manic spells whereas BP II will only have hypomanic spells. Here is a link to the wiki article on BP that will give you the basics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder

Wow! This really fits it to a T! The in-the-family stories are that everything is seen extremely negatively so there's often some kind of crisis, which rarely turns out to be as bad as it seems at first. When I see her, everything is "fine." It's only recently that I've seen really mean and selfish comments made to family members in my presence.

Over the years, I have sometimes thought of this as strangely "two-faced"--not in an evil way--just like she was a radically different person inside and outside the family, much more than we all can be normally. I always chalked it up to low self-esteem, as though she didn't think people would accept her real self and she felt like she had to put on an act, and not in a social, extroverted way since she's actually rather shy in public.

Thanks for your help. Pieces are starting to fall into place.

Bi-Polar people, especially in a hypomanic stage are able to hold it together somewhat when they are in public. However, it can be very hard to do and therefore very stressful. Whenever they are finally out of the public view and can relax their guard somewhat, symptoms become more obvious. They simply do not have the ability to maintain complete control indefinitely. People that are having a severe manic episode may not even be able to hold it together at ll.

This is what I thought I too. I know that they can medicate for it just like depression.

Not to hijack, but...

Yes, those symptoms can be seen in bipolar people. I'm not sure what else you're asking but if you'd like to PM me, I will be happy to answer any questions from my personal experiences only. I am not an expert in bipolar as there can be variations. BTW, my diagnosis is bipolar 2 as well. It surprised the heck out of me. I was only diagnosed a couple of years ago (can't remember exactly), but I am in my 40s. I was exhibiting some unusual, for me, symptoms. Someone finally looked at the larger picture of my medical history and put the pieces together.

Bi-Polar people, especially in a hypomanic stage are able to hold it together somewhat when they are in public. However, it can be very hard to do and therefore very stressful. Whenever they are finally out of the public view and can relax their guard somewhat, symptoms become more obvious. They simply do not have the ability to maintain complete control indefinitely. People that are having a severe manic episode may not even be able to hold it together at ll.

So interesting. This is what I always say about my kids with sensory processing disorder and other issues related to learning and behavior. They can often (though not always) hold it together in public, but when they get home...ba-boom.

Thanks for putting in such clear terms that I can easily relate to. :grouphug:

Yes, those symptoms can be seen in bipolar people. I'm not sure what else you're asking but if you'd like to PM me, I will be happy to answer any questions from my personal experiences only. I am not an expert in bipolar as there can be variations. BTW, my diagnosis is bipolar 2 as well. It surprised the heck out of me. I was only diagnosed a couple of years ago (can't remember exactly), but I am in my 40s. I was exhibiting some unusual, for me, symptoms. Someone finally looked at the larger picture of my medical history and put the pieces together.

Thank you for sharing this. I may take you up on your offer because it would be helpful to understand this better. :)