Menu

Please share your dc's 9th & 10th gr. Electives.

Music (Guitar Lessons and daily 30 min practice sessions)

Drama (Homeschool Drama Club with a year end play performance)

Logic

PE

Community Service (Library Storytime Volunteer 60+ hrs)

ETA: Health (along with American First Cross First Aid & CPR classes and certification)

Edited by tex-mex

Informal Logic

Drama ( about 1/4 credit)

Ukelele lessons and practice.

Physical education. We are joining a gym together. This will earn 1/2 credit.

Eta...my kids have done all sorts of electives in high school. Photography, oil painting, guitar, swim team, running skills, extra writing classes, journalism, Latin, Logic, oil burner technician classes, EPA certification/refrigerant certifications, lifeguard certifications, CPR, AED Red cross certs, drama, choir, cake decorating, watercolor painting etc. With electives, the sky is the limit!.....oh, some kids I know went and got pilot licensing....

Edited by Mommyfaithe

ETA-I'm also curious if there are reasons why you chose______electives for these grades, iow, is there a rhyme or reason to your timing?

This year, 9th grade, my son has the following electives:

- Choir

- Vocal Performance (private voice)

- Intro to Performing Arts

Next year, the current list includes:

- Creative Writing

- Kitchen Science / Science of Food (We're still working on a title.)

- Computer Programming

Edit: He may end up with credits for choir and voice again next year. We'll have to see if his interest and our finances hold up for that.

Generally, we choose electives that align with the kid's interest that year.

Mine also end up with a few credits in art and music history and/or appreciation, but I assign them.

Edit #2: He also does things we don't count for school but put in the extracurriculars column. He volunteers for the science museum and for the summer day camps at a local theatre. He participates in our church's youth group. He also ushers at the church and assists during childcare. He takes a couple od dance classes a week. He does lots of theatre, both tuition-based youth programs and community theatre productions. Whenever anyone will let him, he loves to help build and paint sets and props, too. But none of those things are for credit.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Computer science -- started with Coursera.org JavaScript based CompSci 101 and now moving into khan academy python. Will then either take udacity.orgs python class or try java using blue pelican PDF with videos. Older son plans on taking AP Comp Sci (java based) at the high school.

Both will do some web design.

We are continuing a fine arts credit with Teaching Co "How to Listen to and Enjoy Great Music". DS does not like music much, but we all enjoyed the first two lectures so far.

Younger son will do some electronics or CAD at the public school.

Both will continue with a partial PE credit--aiming for 1.5 credits total.

Younger son might do Health for a partial credit.

Both kids will take some classes at the high school which uses a trimester system and it tends to throw me off. They will probably both end up with trimester credits on their transcripts.

I am advocating a public speaking or drama credit, but they aren't showing much enthusiasm there. DS said he'd rather add in AP Chemistry as an elective.

Their electives are mostly interest based but I did suggest the fine art credit in an attempt to expose them to areas outside their usual interest range. Public speaking and drama I suggested to help them with speaking skills. Maybe we will try to get a Gavel Club going here.

PE and health we add in as they are standard at the high school. We happen to haves health textbook and I believe in integrating healthy concepts into our lives.

Edited by Trilliums

This year, for 9th grade, ds had the following:

Bible (OT survey)

Speech (with our local speech and debate club...classes are in the fall, and individual coaching and tournamnets are in the spring)

Piano

Computer Programming in Java (with Potter's School)

Next year (10th grade):

AP Compuetr programming (with PA Homeschoolers)

Debate

I think it is all very interesting to see. I am trying to figure on the transcript what will be extracurricualr and what will be elective as I feel we need to have both.

Electives, dd so far has done piano, fine arts, equine studies, home economics, trying to decide about 12th now for next year.

ds has the same but woodworking instead of equine studies.

I personally really enjoy the home economics as I require them as part of that to plan and prepare one large meal each week alone. The first time they end up with three pots on the stove simultaneoulsy they relaize what goes into cooking :001_smile:.

Kathy

9th:

Watercolor - either .5 or 1 credit, depending how much time dd wants to devote to it.

If she chooses .5 credit (which is what I think will happen), then she'll add .5 credit health or computer programming.

She'll also complete .25 PE credit during 9th grade.

I'm planning to count her music (band, private lessons, etc.) as extracurricular.

My ds will be doing Middle Eastern studies, because we're living here and because we're Muslim. We've always done a concurrent Islamic history study with our world history studies through elementary levels, next year ds will be doing the same (Middle Ages) but bumped up to make a credit (more in depth history and adding in readings from the "classics" of the region/time period.

There will be some PE and some geography, I haven't quite worked out how to count that and exactly what and where. I need to iron that out.

Ds 1 had practical drafting, art history, and computer programming.

Ds 2 will have introductory logic, botany, and introductory drawing/art.

DD, when she was that age, had introductory logic, introduction to astronomy (freshman college level requiring only algebra), and introductory art.

Ds 3 7th grader already planning his life in full wants to take astronomy, geology, logic, practical drafting, and computer programming. He is a rather ambitious child!

Most of our electives, except for trying to squeeze in a couple of fine arts courses, are science based.

Faith

My oldest will be 9th grade in the fall. His electives will be "Food and Nutrition" and "Computer Applications."

The food class came about because he really wants to learn to cook. I found a textbook that we'll use to introduce topics and it includes food labs and food science experiments in addition to the cooking aspect. The computer applications class is because I think this is something he needs.

I really wanted to sign him up for the yearbook class that our co-op offers and have that be an elective this year but he did NOT want to do it. The food class is replacing that. So our choices were partially based on his interest (cooking) and partially based on need (computer apps).

My rising 9th grader will have the following electives next year:

Flute - 1 cr (she's been taking lessons since 5th grade)

Fine Arts - .5 cr (a mishmash of little classes she wanted to take)

Archaeology - 1 cr (it's her social studies credit, but it's not on the usual required history and government classes, so does that count as an elective?)

--Janet

My oldest will be 9th grade in the fall. His electives will be "Food and Nutrition" and "Computer Applications."

The food class came about because he really wants to learn to cook. I found a textbook that we'll use to introduce topics and it includes food labs and food science experiments in addition to the cooking aspect.

Kelli,

What textbook did you find to go along with your Food and Nutrition?? This is something my son has expressed interest in and all I've really done to date is have him cook alongside me a few times. I would really like to have some sort of guide/text to follow.

In reading these responses I realized that some things I was calling "extra-curriculars", others are calling "electives". How do you make the distinction between them? Or should I start a new thread for this question?

To answer the OP, my ds studied computer programming and music history as electives this year. He also earned PE credit. But he also took art classes, sang in a choir, played in the concert band and the steel drum band, took saxophone lessons, and was a member of two robotics teams. So maybe those were electives as well?

Edited by Mom2boys

9th grade:

Art 2-D & Art 3-D (thru local public school)

Symphonic band (thru local public school)

Informal Logic

10th grade:

Acting I (thru local public school)

Wind Ensemble (thru local public school)

Formal Logic

Graphic Novel (course we're designing to combine his love of manga & creative writing)

Kelli,

What textbook did you find to go along with your Food and Nutrition?? This is something my son has expressed interest in and all I've really done to date is have him cook alongside me a few times. I would really like to have some sort of guide/text to follow.

We're going to use Glencoe's Food for Today. I found it recommended here on the boards in a different thread. I'm only a few chapters in to the lesson planning process and following this syllabus for the order of the book.

Glencoe has this additional Food Lab Activities pdf on their web site that I also plan to incorporate into the lessons.

From what I've worked through so far, I think we're both going to really enjoy working through this.

Archaeology - 1 cr (it's her social studies credit, but it's not on the usual required history and government classes, so does that count as an elective?)

On my daughter's transcript, I had the following categories to showcase the classes she had taken:

English

Mathematics

Science

Foreign Language

Social Studies

Art, Physical Ed., and Miscellaneous

Had my daughter taken Archaeology, I would have listed it under the Social Studies category. I did not have a section entitled Electives.

Regards,

Kareni

We do Tapestry of Grace and do a bunch of extra parts, but they won't be full credits unless we do all four years. From that he will get:

Art History

Music History

Philosophy

Church History

Government

He has also done Logic this year (9th) and maybe next year.

In reading these responses I realized that some things I was calling "extra-curriculars", others are calling "electives". How do you make the distinction between them? Or should I start a new thread for this question?

I would not count extra-curricular as electives, but somethings can be kind of vague. For instance, you might say that participation in a high school sports program or band is an extra-curricular, but in some schools these would get counted as electives and the student might take a class during the day related to them.

I would say that you should mimic what your local schools do on this issue if they are the ones who will supply students your child will compete with for college openings.

9th will be the following:

Art / Art History - offered through co-op (will possibly supplement so I can give a full credit)

Public Speaking - gavel club through co-op (will give a full credit)

Health - will thoroughly document a "home grown" course to satisfy public school requirement if we ever decide to return to ps in the future

I will probably craft their transcript by subject area, not by year. So Art/Art History may span across 9th and 10th grade for 1 credit combined or 1 credit per depending on how much emphasis we end up giving each.

In my world, "electives" are classes that include a more or less formal study of a subject and earn academic credit. "Extracurriculars" are activities done outside of "school" that do not earn credit.

So, for example, my son is getting school credit for choir. He sings with a rigorous, teaching ensemble that includes instruction in reading music and music theory, as well as vocal technique. The group is much more demanding and active than any school choir with which I sang during my high school years.

On the other hand, he dances and volunteers at the local science museum and local theatres, does community and youth theatre, etc. We're putting those in the extracurricular bucket, and he's not getting school credit for them. He may devote about as many hours to some of those as he does to choir, but I don't see them as academic in the same way. So, not "curricular."

I did notice that some other folks in this thread seem to be counting for school things that we count for extras. It's not a cut-and-dried thing.

Some extracurriculars to do have any actual instruction; those I would always count as extracurricular and not as elective.

For activities that contain actual instruction, I make sure to "save" something for extracurriculars, as colleges want to see this.

DD takes riding lessons and trains a horse, and she sings in the university choir. I choose to list both as extracurriculars, even though I could count riding as PE, and even the university students get credit for choir.

Now, if my kid had plenty of other extracurricular activities, or if I did not have another way to satisfy the requirement for a fine arts credit, I might use these to give credit.

Thanks Candid, Jenny, and Regentrude. I appreciate your responses. I think I am going to keep choir, band, art, and robotics as extras, not electives. I don't think enough actual instruction was provided to merit awarding credit for these.