Menu

What grammar program do you LOVE for grades 1-4?

arcara

Hi,

I have been homeschooling for a while, so I feel like I should have this figured out by now, but I don't. For grammar instruction I love JAG and AG for the middle grades and up, but I don't have anything that I love to get them there! I've used Easy Grammar and FLL, but I've found both to be kind of lacking. I like something thorough, but not too slow. I like it to flow and be well organized. My son rolls his eyes waiting for me to go through the FLL lessons with him. He needs instruction, but he doesn't need me to do everything with him. I would love to find something that I LOVE and that I could stick with until we get to JAG.

So, share the early elementary programs that you love! (Have I used the word "love" enough?)

Tried FLL. Wanted to love it. Quickly loathed it.

LOVE MCT Language Arts. Sentence Island is my favorite grammar book so far (not a good writing book, but a fabulous grammar book). FWIW, we like Sentence Island as a grammar book *way* more than Grammar Town.

Grammar Land is a close second.

A lot of people like the Brian Cleary and Ruth Heller grammar "story" books, and I liked the idea, but the grammar concepts definitely did not stick/transfer with my girls. Ditto with Schoolhouse Rock - very entertaining, but they didn't learn the grammar that way.

Shurley English with modifications. DD~14 used this 3rd-6th grade, then used Hake. DD~14 recently took ACT. She said although she did not like Shurley at the time, Shurley was what she remembered the best and relied on for the ACT. Her ACT English score was 34 out of 36. I plan on using this program again.

We start PLL in 2nd and continue it in 3rd. In 4th we are going to begin ILL. Gentle, but thorough introduction to grammar. Besides that, we deal with grammar in real life through ds' narrations, sentences in writing, dictation passages, etc.

KISS Grammar

We use it on the tablet. The sentences are from real literature, so you actually have to think. It moves quickly enough for my accelerated learner for whom grammar comes easily. This child probably would have been fine waiting until whatever age JAG starts though.

KISS Grammar

We use it on the tablet. The sentences are from real literature, so you actually have to think. It moves quickly enough for my accelerated learner for whom grammar comes easily. This child probably would have been fine waiting until whatever age JAG starts though.

That's good to know about KISS grammar - that it's good. I've been thinking about using it on our tablet, especially since it is free.

KISS Grammar

:iagree: We just started doing this!

I love FLL!

:iagree: However, I do skip things in FLL1 and do 2 or 3 lessons a day with my dd2, since we just started it at 7 years old. Previously both girls were doing Daily Grammar and they dreaded it and nothing was sticking. So FLL is a breath of fresh air. She would be totally bored if I made her do every writing assignment and only did 1 lesson a day. This way we won't have 80 lessons on nouns. My girls love the poetry memorization, however, and I'm sure some kids would loathe that part.

How do you do KISS on your tablet? My ds would LOVE this!

Download the Word doc to your computer, open up in Word, Save as a PDF (I use CutePDF, which is free - you just "print to PDF" instead of saving as, technically... it installs as a printer). Then put the PDF on your tablet and use a PDF annotating app. On my Android tablet, I use ezPDF. It was $2.99 and worth every penny. We just click a button, then start drawing our underlines and finger writing our labels above words. Very easy to do, and my son loves it!

There are several iPad apps available to annotate also, and I know there have been whole threads on those, so it should be easy to find. :)

I love FLL!

We are FLL lovers, as well. We just speed up and double or triple lessons as necessary. I am about to begin the series for the 5th time. It is certainly effective - my 15 year old was just dazzling his 8 year old brother by reciting all the definitions and lists from FLL 1 and 2 perfectly...8 years after completing it!!! :lol:

Download the Word doc to your computer, open up in Word, Save as a PDF (I use CutePDF, which is free - you just "print to PDF" instead of saving as, technically... it installs as a printer). Then put the PDF on your tablet and use a PDF annotating app. On my Android tablet, I use ezPDF. It was $2.99 and worth every penny. We just click a button, then start drawing our underlines and finger writing our labels above words. Very easy to do, and my son loves it!

There are several iPad apps available to annotate also, and I know there have been whole threads on those, so it should be easy to find. :)

:iagree: I use the app Notability on my iPad which allows dd to mark up the exercises.

My boys liked FLL in first grade, but I really had trouble with the scripted lessons and the repeated definitions. My boys can still repeat the defs, but really had no clue when it came to what they really meant. No huge deal, since they were only 7 at the time, but still!!

We switched to KISS and like it. I wouldn't call either of my sons grammar-naturals (well, my hFA son may well turn out to be) but both of them now can pick a prepositional phrase out of their own writing and tell you whether it is adverbial or adjectival in nature. I'm pretty pleased with that.