Menu

Ways you've made money...

I'm running out of ideas to save money and are looking for ideas to make money as Murphy keeps coming to my house. I have a few more things around here to sell to make up for the latest issue-car repairs. However, we need to get ahead and I can only cut so much. We have a goal of paying off the house this year and also keep a 3 month e-fund. Things are on track as it is but if something comes up we will be behind. I want to build an extra cushion to prepare for that so hopefully we can still meet both of those goals even if we run into more bumps.

So, give me ways you have made money. I've considered that perhaps I could watch some kids for the summer but I don't know how to find anyone with that need or how to find them, I need to ask around. Most everyone I know are SAHMs.

I'm running out of ideas to save money and are looking for ideas to make money as Murphy keeps coming to my house. I have a few more things around here to sell to make up for the latest issue-car repairs. However, we need to get ahead and I can only cut so much. We have a goal of paying off the house this year and also keep a 3 month e-fund. Things are on track as it is but if something comes up we will be behind. I want to build an extra cushion to prepare for that so hopefully we can still meet both of those goals even if we run into more bumps.

So, give me ways you have made money. I've considered that perhaps I could watch some kids for the summer but I don't know how to find anyone with that need or how to find them, I need to ask around. Most everyone I know are SAHMs.

I don't have any ideas for you, but wanted to wish you the best and give you encouragement for paying off your house this year.

Garage Sales, selling off kids toys, selling jewelry, couponing {and saving the savings}, babysitting, selling off excess furniture and appliances, buying and selling storage units, and just not spending.

Those are all things we've done over the years to raise funds - Murphy has visited us a lot.

Selling stuff on Facebook. We have a very active local swap group, but I've made more money in the last week selling homeschool books and curriculum through the group linked in my signature tag below.

I'm checking out selling fresh-ground flour through our local food co-op. Sounds promising.

I work as a TypeWell transcriber, and I also sell Uppercase Living.

I've advertised weeklong day camps for 5-8 year olds, using FIAR materials, but so far, no takers.

Keep the ideas coming, I'm brainstorming. I have a few things left around here to sell, if I can find buyers but I don't have much left. I sold a ton last year of any extra furniture and such I had around. I keep things pretty simple. I have a few pieces of jewelry but I believe the ones that are left are ones I'd want to save for my dd as anything I have are from my mom when I was a kid.

I've got the grocery budget pretty low, household items and health and beauty items I am just generally not using or making homemade from what I have on hand. I've been meaning to start getting mil's coupons though, at least that would be free and she doesn't use them. I don't live in a good spot for yardsaling though. I live rurally and I don't have but a few big items that I was going to post to a local forum.

I did just enter into the daily give away on Dave Ramsey. I generally listen every day but I guess I hadn't noticed him talking about a give away. Perhaps I can find some more sweepstakes, as long as they are free and easy to enter(without strings) it doesn't hurt to try.

Babysitting for children with special needs - it is difficult to find sitters for children who are non-verbal, have poor muscle tone and wear diapers, etc. This isn't very difficult and many parents are happy to tell you all you need to know. Or, advertise as someone who is happy to help tutor children with special needs. You can contact Autism Society, United Cerebral Palsy, etc and ask if they have need of special needs babysitters. I've called our Autism Society several times looking for babysitters. There were times I would kill for just two hours to grocery shop.

Taking in laundry. This works best in apartments where there are older people or busy younger ones who don't want the bother.

Runner. Run errands for those who are too busy.

Plain old summer-time tutoring for kids who need a boost before the next school year.

Thanks for the ideas ladies, I'm trying to think of what would work for us.

afa special needs babysitters do you not need special qualifications or training? Or is just being a mom enough. I would worry I would not be up on the various medical conditions.

A good source for babysitting jobs is SitterCity.com You can register for free--people looking for sitters have to pay a fee to them. I worked for a dear family referred by them. You can search according to # of kids you want to look after, ages, distance from you, etc. Just doing summer care alone could net you a pretty penny.

I've found swapping to be a good way to save money. Any service I might normally pay for--I ask if I could trade a home cooked meal or gardening services. I've gotten good response. Gardening is something many want to do, but don't really know how to get started. I've started gardens for numerous people in trade for their services.

I have a friend that saves money on food by gleaning fields and picking fruit to can, dry, and freeze. Anytime she sees a fruit tree, she marks it down and tracks down the owner to see if he/she minds her picking fruit. Many times fruit trees produce more than one family can use, so they are happy to have someone take the fruit and use it. She gleans a local tomato field each year and ends up with enough tomatoes to have sauce, salsa, whole tomatoes for the year.

Good ideas ladies, thanks for the links to sittercity. I'm not much of a baker but I do cook gf/df so there might be a niche market there if I could perfect a few recipes. I'd have to think on that, I don't have a reg bread recipe.

MissMoe I've been thinking about finding "free" food this year, I usually score some from various people but I need to be more diligent seeking it out and doing things like scouring for wild blackberries.