Menu

What do you take/do for family after loved one dies?

A friend just lost his mother yesterday and I would like to take something to her home as I know he and his two siblings will be staying there during the next week as the deal with the planning of her funeral etc. I was thinking maybe a deli platter or fruit/cheese platter? I know his sister is funny about eating food from homes she's not been in, so I was planning on purchasing something. Does anyone have any better ideas?

A friend just lost his mother yesterday and I would like to take something to her home as I know he and his two siblings will be staying there during the next week as the deal with the planning of her funeral etc. I was thinking maybe a deli platter or fruit/cheese platter? I know his sister is funny about eating food from homes she's not been in, so I was planning on purchasing something. Does anyone have any better ideas?

This is what I usually do. Along with the costco size water bottles or juice drinks. Food is usually the last thing people in mourning want to think about.

You are on the right track. Something that can be refrigerated and brought out whenever is always good.

Papergoods are great! A few rolls of toilet paper can be a lifesaver if the household is caught without.

And AMEN to remembering them six or eight weeks (and MONTHS) from now.

When daddy died, we appreciated a big plate of rolls and ham. They made quick snacks. I have to say though, the things I appreciated most were the foods and cards that came later. The grief process takes time. It was nice someone remembered a month out.

This is a little off-topic... But I try to make a note in my calendar for about 6-8 weeks after the funeral. Then I send another card, telling the bereaved that I'm still thinking of them. Sometimes I think people get a rush of attention right after the loss and then all of a sudden, it dies down. But it hurts for SO long afterwards, I just like to try to remind them I'm there if they want to talk.

Food is always helpful. When my mom passed away, several people sent me edible fruit baskets. One of the days I was so stressed out trying to handle all of the funeral arrangements and make plans for out of town family, that the fruit from the baskets was the only thing I ate. Deli trays are also a good idea.

Gift cards to a restaurant are good too. After it was all over, I still wasn't ready for my life to get back to normal, including cooking meals. The restaurant gift cards I received were just what we needed on the days when I was still overwhelmed with grief.

Any easy-to-serve food with minimal clean up. I buy a container of Rotisserie Chicken Salad from SAM's club with a bag of Deli Flats bun things. Delicious, and easy to make a sandwich whenever anyone is hungry. Add some bottled water/juice/sodas (individual servings) and baby carrots & grapes and it;s a nutritious easy meal. "uncrustables" PB&J sandwiches if children will be visiting.

A gift card to a restaurant or take-out place is also nice. Paper plates/plastic forks/paper cups are also nice to have.

Not having to shop, cook, microwave, heat up, and clean up is such a blessing.

If you really want to be considered thoughtful...remember them the first Thanksgiving/Christmas season and the first Mother's Day without their mom. Grief takes years sometimes to mellow and quit hurting.

17 years of Mother's Days without my mom...and counting...;)