Menu

Mac & cheese recipe needed!

I just boil pasta, pour home-made cheese sauce over it and top with more cheese before grilling. I can't give you a recipe for cheese sauce as I do it by eye, but anything that only has butter, flour, milk, cheese and flavouring (maybe mustard, salt and pepper) will be the real thing.

Laura

I do it like Laura with butter, flour, milk, and cheese, but I use a bit of cayenne pepper for my flavoring. I used to use Dijon mustard, but the kids freaked out at the idea of having mustard in the mac & cheese. This is why I try to keep my recipes hidden from them. :tongue_smilie:

I go the white sauce route. Make it thinner than you'd like because it thickens as you bake. Also, my secret ingredient is pepper jack cheese. I don't use enough to make it hot, but enough to perk up the flavor . . .I'd start with 1/3 pepper jack to 2/3 cheddar. I also toss in some parmesan, and a little dry mustard.

I would recommend that you grate your own cheese. Pre-shredded has some sort of coating that seems to interfere with optimal creamy meltiness.

Crockpot Mac & Cheese

2 cups of macaroni, uncooked

2 cups of cottage cheese

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1 stick of butter

2 cups of boiling water

Grease the inside of your crockpot. Put in noodles and cheeses in the order in which they are listed. Slice the butter over the top and pour the boiling water over everything; do not stir. Cover crockpot and cook on high for 2 1/2 hours. Stir before serving.

We use this version of Jamie Oliver's mac and cheese. Super easy and yummy:

Grate 8 oz cheddar cheese, 4 oz parmesan and put in metal bowl. While boiling the macaroni (he suggests adding a half head of cauliflower, too, but my kiddo rebels at that healthy extra), put a metal bowl with the grated cheese on top of the pan. Add 1 cup of creme fraiche or sour cream (we like both, just depends what we have in the house). Stir the cheese till it's smooth and the mac is finished cooking. Drain mac, mix with cheese. Finish under the broiler.

I make it as the other ladies have described (basic white sauce, heated, add grated cheese) but I use cold milk thickened with cornstarch for the base instead of making a roux with flour. The spices I use are salt, pepper, ground mustard. Use 4 c shredded cheese for 16 oz dry pasta. Yum!

Thanks everyone! I have always made it with a white sauce (roux) + cheese, but I wonder if I have been making it too thick, and that's why, when baked, it seems dry/not saucy enough. I also only have used salt and pepper -- I bet the mustard helps. Love the idea of pepper jack cheese, too. Thanks for the ideas, ladies... off to try to jazz up my mac and cheese now. :D

Boil 12 oz macaroni noodles until al dente. Drain.

Mix in:

1 12 oz can evaporated milk

1 egg

1 1/2 lb cheese (I use half jack, half sharp cheddar)

Salt, pepper, paprika to taste

Spread in baking dish.

Dot with butter (1 TBS total)

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

DELISH!

Mine is similar to others, a compromise.

The kids like cheese sauce (white sauce with lots of cheese and some spices, like a dash or Worcestershire or soy sauce.) Husband likes the egg/milk kind. Kids didn't like the totally suspended quality/texture of Dad's fave. So, I mix 1-2 eggs, 2-3 tablespoons of flour, s & p and whatever spices are current faves, into several cups of milk (butter the casserole first, then whisk these ingredients right in the dish.) I boil the pasta, drain, maybe mix with a little butter, then pour into the casserole dish. Then add 2-4 cups of cheese (cheddar, or combination of cheeses) and punch the cheese down into the pasta/milk. So it is a somewhat solid dish, but has some saucy smoothness.