Menu

If you changed your diet to get rid of joint pain or inflammation . . .

what foods did you add or delete from your diet?

*Or if you had increased inflammation, arthritis, bursitis, gout or high CRP levels*

I already know I cannot eat the nightshade veggies. They cause unbearable stiffness and pain in my joints. [Goodbye pizza! Goodbye baked potato!]

Now I think my body is having a reaction to wheat and/or corn :001_unsure:, and I'm making up my own elimination diet (not fun).

If you've had success changing your diet to help with aches and pains and CRP levels (not IBS gut things, but feel free to share), please post some ideas for me.

I am also interested in your choice of elimination diets (web sites) and what worked for you.

Thanks!

My sister drinks cherry juice, the very concentrated kind. She says it helps quite a bit. She only uses a tiny amount (maybe a tablespoon or so?) and mixes with other things, such as crystal lite lemonade. She finds it in the organic section at our local grocery store. It is very expensive, around $20'ish, but says it helps.

All of this makes me sad. The inflammatory foods are my favorites! :lol:

I am slowly reducing these things in my diet. I have been gluten free since October which helped until recently, when I've begun to fall apart again. So I'm cutting out almost all grains (except flax and chia seeds, rarely lime treated corn), and I've already drastically reduced my potato consumption. I could live off of potatoes, so that's major for me! I also cut out beans and legumes except for rarely eating green beans. Next I'm cutting out all nightshades. I've added more coconut oil to my diet. I'll check out the cherry juice. I'm cutting out dairy again soon, too. My diet is already so limited, it's my last straw. I know it affects me, but I don't want to starve! I've had several unexplained back injuries this year, threw out my *pelvis* two weeks ago, I have arthritis in my knee, and just joint and muscle pain and spasms everywhere. I'm only 28! So hopefully this will help. :(

I got rid of:

- grains

- sugar

- white potatoes

- tomatoes (with some occasional exceptions)

- corn

I limited:

- fruit

- beans

- coffee

I added:

- eggs from free-range chickens

- meat (especially beef) from grass-fed/finished, organic, local cows

- bone broth

- fermented foods

- Greek yogurt

- lots and lots of greens

- lots and lots of water

- coconut oil

It helped tremendously, but not totally. of course, my strict adherence has waned a bit in the last few months, which may be why I have experienced an upsurge in pain.

I forgot, I did cut out cane sugar. I do have coconut sugar, real maple syrup, and raw honey on hand for occasional treats, though. I am feeling rather bored of food nowadays. Does anyone have any good words of advice or menus when your diet is limited so much? :(

Wow. I feel sorry for you :grouphug:. So are you saying you cut out all those foods and you still suffer?

I do have the concentrated cherry juice, but I haven't taken it on a daily basis. I think I will try doing that.

I've heard of Elisa, but never researched it. I think I need that test.

Food intolerances are SO INTOLERABLE!

Thanks for all the tips.

I know this isn't what you aske for but I thought I would throw it out there anyways.

I didn't do elimination as much as I should have. When I started looking at the various diets and eliminating everything they suggested, it took away almost all of my foods.....seriously....almost all. The only thing I have really tried to stick with it not eating tomatos but I still forget sometimes and have a bit of katsup or some tomato in a pot of soup. I will notice a drastic change in my body 24 hours later, so I know tomatoes are a big no no for me.

Instead I found an herbal combination that works for me. It is called Zyflamend and it was a God send for my pain. I order it on Amazon.

I know this isn't what you aske for but I thought I would throw it out there anyways.

I didn't do elimination as much as I should have. When I started looking at the various diets and eliminating everything they suggested, it took away almost all of my foods.....seriously....almost all. The only thing I have really tried to stick with it not eating tomatos but I still forget sometimes and have a bit of katsup or some tomato in a pot of soup. I will notice a drastic change in my body 24 hours later, so I know tomatoes are a big no no for me.

Instead I found an herbal combination that works for me. It is called Zyflamend and it was a God send for my pain. I order it on Amazon.

Thank you so much for posting. I am starting to feel like I can only eat celery and water to remain pain-free.

So, do you believe you have several other offending foods you eat, but now that you take that supplement they don't bother you as much as they would otherwise?

Tomatoes are a HUGE no go for me, too.

Just found this gem :001_huh:

http://listverse.com/2009/01/06/top-10-poisonous-foods-we-love-to-eat/

Wow. I feel sorry for you :grouphug:. So are you saying you cut out all those foods and you still suffer?

I do have the concentrated cherry juice, but I haven't taken it on a daily basis. I think I will try doing that.

I've heard of Elisa, but never researched it. I think I need that test.

Food intolerances are SO INTOLERABLE!

Thanks for all the tips.

No, I'm cutting them out. I have been soy and gluten free since October, though. It made a world of difference for several months, then I fell apart again! So I'm cutting more out and hoping something works.

I went gluten free (all grains actually) and sugar free last october and immediately noticed a huge change in my pain level. I had consistent hip pain and lower back pain for years. within a week it was gone by 90%. I was amazed. It kept me motivated to stay on track. The holidays were tough. Around february I got completely off track, it seemed I had a party or event every week and I could not stay on track. My pain has come back some and I am determined to get back on track. I felt so good and slept the best I have in years

The biggest culprits for me are gluten, sugar, and alcohol. Does anyone know if it's the alcohol molecule or something else that leads to the inflammatory response? In other words, is my body breaking down the alcohol into sugar and that's what is bothering my joints?

Can you tell I miss my glass of red wine? :tongue_smilie:

Julie

The biggest culprits for me are gluten, sugar, and alcohol. Does anyone know if it's the alcohol molecule or something else that leads to the inflammatory response? In other words, is my body breaking down the alcohol into sugar and that's what is bothering my joints?

Julie

Aren't many of the alcohols grain based?

Both in elementary and high school, I injured my knee causing minor aching for as long as I can remember.

Then about 7 years ago, I fell ice skating. I was told it was just sprained. About 6 months later, I switched doctors and got an MRI. All they found was a little tendinitis. Well, that little tendinitis caused me a lot of pain. I could not sit with my legs bents (always had my feet up on the coffee table); movies, concerts, etc. were nearly unbearable. Some days I couldn't get up off the ground without doing some interesting maneuvers to avoid putting weight on my bent knee. Couldn't go up and down stairs; had to go up with my "good knee" and follow with my "bad knee" and go down with my "bad knee" and up with my "good knee" to avoid putting weight on my knee while bent. Getting off of the toilet was difficult at times. It was pretty limiting.

So, how did I "cure" it? Produce. I went on Weight Watchers and started eating all those zero point foods in large quantities and the pain was gone even before I lost weight. It comes back if I eat too little produce and goes right back away when I step up the consumption of produce again.

When I'm doing well, I eat 2-3 servings of fruit with breakfast, 2-3 servings of fruit with lunch and maybe a half-serving of veggies if you count the lettuce/tomato/pickles on my sandwich, and 3-4 servings of veggies with dinner.

Julie

I know that gout is affected by alcohol.

Here are some articles that might interest you:

How a paleo/primal diet helps gout

-fructose makes gout worse

-in the comments, several people said their pain comes back when they have alcohol, or certain types of alcohol

-intermittent fasting helps some people (example: eating all your food in a six hour window every day)

What is Inflammation

Vegetables that Help Fight Inflammation

Not a food thing, but mine is greatly helped by adding a good magnesium supplement when I am feeling the inflammation set in again. I use NaturalCalm, and I also do a daily (when i'm good) dose of NOW Vitamin D3.

It's interesting what the PP said about produce, I notice that too. I think the connection that when I eat more produce I eat less refined food is what does it for me.

Both in elementary and high school, I injured my knee causing minor aching for as long as I can remember.

Then about 7 years ago, I fell ice skating. I was told it was just sprained. About 6 months later, I switched doctors and got an MRI. All they found was a little tendinitis. Well, that little tendinitis caused me a lot of pain. I could not sit with my legs bents (always had my feet up on the coffee table); movies, concerts, etc. were nearly unbearable. Some days I couldn't get up off the ground without doing some interesting maneuvers to avoid putting weight on my bent knee. Couldn't go up and down stairs; had to go up with my "good knee" and follow with my "bad knee" and go down with my "bad knee" and up with my "good knee" to avoid putting weight on my knee while bent. Getting off of the toilet was difficult at times. It was pretty limiting.

So, how did I "cure" it? Produce. I went on Weight Watchers and started eating all those zero point foods in large quantities and the pain was gone even before I lost weight. It comes back if I eat too little produce and goes right back away when I step up the consumption of produce again.

When I'm doing well, I eat 2-3 servings of fruit with breakfast, 2-3 servings of fruit with lunch and maybe a half-serving of veggies if you count the lettuce/tomato/pickles on my sandwich, and 3-4 servings of veggies with dinner.

wow, I've been keeping tendonitis in some part of my body for a couple of years. I actually rarely eat fruit and veggies much anymore. Need to get back to it and see if it helps.

Thank you so much for posting. I am starting to feel like I can only eat celery and water to remain pain-free.

So, do you believe you have several other offending foods you eat, but now that you take that supplement they don't bother you as much as they would otherwise?

Tomatoes are a HUGE no go for me, too.

Just found this gem :001_huh:

http://listverse.com/2009/01/06/top-10-poisonous-foods-we-love-to-eat/

I do believe my diet directly affects my inflammation. It took me years to figure out the tomato connection since my reaction is over 24 hours later. I know I get headaches from some alcohols and while I can have one beer, I can't have two. I do figure having one, is still causing me problems....I just can't see/fell them as easily as two.

I think some foods are the same way. I just can't feel the effects. I finally made the tomato connection after eating tomato soup several days in a row. I had a huge reaction. The next time I ate tomato soup, the same thing occured. It took me a few years to make the connection and quite a while longer to realize that it was happening with smaller amounts also.

The Zyflammend helps combat the inflammation in ways that other prescription anti-inflammatories have not. It has an assortment of herbs that have proven results. I was skeptical when I started taking it. It more than proved it self to me. Each time I get lazy about taking it, I feel worse in a week or so.

Amount per 2 Softgels

Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) (leaf) 100 mg supercritical extract and 50 mg hydroethanolic extract (min. 22.5 mg total phenolic antioxidants [TPA])

150 mg

Turmeric (Curcuma longa) (rhizome) 10 mg organic supercritical extract (min. 7 mg essential oil containing turmerones) and 100 mg hydroethanolic extract (min. 7 mg curcuminoids)

110 mg

Ginger (Zingiber officinalis) (rhizome) 54 mg organic supercritical extract (min. 12.9 mg pungent compounds; min. 16.2 mg essential oils containing zingiberene) and 46 mg hydroethanolic extract (min. 1.4 mg pungent compounds)

100 mg

Holy Basil (Ocimum sanctum) (leaf) hydroethanolic extract (min. 2 mg ursolic acid)

100 mg

Organic Green Tea (Camellia sinensis) (leaf) extract (min. 45 mg polyphenols)

100 mg

Hu Zhang (Polygonum cuspidatum) (root and rhizome) hydroethanolic extract (min. 6.4 mg resveratrols)

80 mg

Chinese Goldthread (Coptis chinensis) (root) hydroethanolic extract (min. 2.4 mg berberine)

40 mg

Barberry (Berberis vulgaris) (root) hydroethanolic extract (min. 2.4 mg berberine)

40 mg

Organic Oregano (Origanum vulgare) (leaf) supercritical extract (min. 1.6 mg TPA)

40 mg

Chinese Skullcap (Scutellaria baicalensis) (root) hydroethanolic extract (min. 3.4 mg baicalein complex including baicalein and baicalin; and min. 0.08 mg wogonin)

20 mg

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I am going to buy some and try it. I just watched some videos about it on YouTube. I am so happy you found something to help with your pain. Thanks again for sharing. I'll let you know if it helps.

ETA When I eat the nightshade veggies the reaction is almost always delayed--sometimes close to 48 hours. Very frustrating!

I would add Turmeric to the diet since mounting evidence shows it has multiple health benefits and is an especially effective anti-inflammatory.

Bill

Oh yeah, I used Curamin (the brand name that has tumeric in it) for a while, and was surprised how well it worked.

There isn't enough data storage on the WTM servers to detail all my experiments, but I definitely got the most bang for the buck by 1) removing gluten, 2) limiting sugar to a few grams/day from berries and honey only, and 3) taking a lot of Vital Choice salmon oil.

Those 3 things reduced my inflammation by 90%.

:grouphug:

My sister drinks cherry juice, the very concentrated kind. She says it helps quite a bit. She only uses a tiny amount (maybe a tablespoon or so?) and mixes with other things, such as crystal lite lemonade. She finds it in the organic section at our local grocery store. It is very expensive, around $20'ish, but says it helps.

I've heard this recently about cherry juice.

I have problems with my hip when I eat too much sugar, starches (esp. wheat), or dairy. I don't have much diary in my diet anyway, but particularly notice it when I have ice cream (dairy AND sugar, yum!)